ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Anyone own a Hybrid vehicle? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266608)

cdcox 11-14-2012 12:22 AM

I just gave up my F150 after owning it for 18 years. I was looking for a daily commuter that I could drive for similar period of time. Hybrids and electrics just didn't make sense to me, given the lack of experience with the technology over the long time periods I'm likely to drive the vehicle and the cost of the vehicle. I went with a Mazda 3 with the new skydrive technology. I get around 30 mpg on my commute (rated 38 hwy) with good performance at under $20K. Pretty happy with the choice.

Sorter 11-14-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9117459)
Ok so you have a problem with the MPG claims? What does it usually get?

At best, I avg. 35-37. I do quite a bit of driving both highway and in town. Both aren't remotely close to what I was promised.

Other than that, I love it. Pissed about the $$$ in terms of gas I could have saved getting a Prius (similar prices) but I do love teh auto-stop and design aesthetically.

Molitoth 11-14-2012 12:42 AM

Just bought a 2009 Highlander Limited Hybrid a few months back for the wife and she absolutely loves it. Anything Hybrid related has factory warranty until 100k. This is my first hybrid and I'm a fan. It's nice to have a SUV in the house that gets 27 MPG, considering mine gets me about 11 MPG. I've owned many Toyota's and have never had an issue with anything, my Porsche on the other hand...

From my research, the only other Hybrid SUV in the same price range that gets better MPG is the new Escape with around 32 MPG. I recommend the Highlander, and even though you may see a gazillion of them around town, most of them are not hybrids.

Imon Yourside 11-14-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9117471)
I just gave up my F150 after owning it for 18 years. I was looking for a daily commuter that I could drive for similar period of time. Hybrids and electrics just didn't make sense to me, given the lack of experience with the technology over the long time periods I'm likely to drive the vehicle and the cost of the vehicle. I went with a Mazda 3 with the new skydrive technology. I get around 30 mpg on my commute (rated 38 hwy) with good performance at under $20K. Pretty happy with the choice.

That's a good way to look at it, and it seems you made a good choice. Mazda is one of the few cars i've never owned.

Imon Yourside 11-14-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9117472)
At best, I avg. 35-37. I do quite a bit of driving both highway and in town. Both aren't remotely close to what I was promised.

Other than that, I love it. Pissed about the $$$ in terms of gas I could have saved getting a Prius (similar prices) but I do love teh auto-stop and design aesthetically.

Yeah I recently sold a civic and it had lots of problems although it wasn't a hybrid. I think the civic seems to be living off of it's reputation from the 90's.

Imon Yourside 11-14-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9117514)
Just bought a 2009 Highlander Limited Hybrid a few months back for the wife and she absolutely loves it. Anything Hybrid related has factory warranty until 100k. This is my first hybrid and I'm a fan. It's nice to have a SUV in the house that gets 27 MPG, considering mine gets me about 11 MPG. I've owned many Toyota's and have never had an issue with anything, my Porsche on the other hand...

From my research, the only other Hybrid SUV in the same price range that gets better MPG is the new Escape with around 32 MPG. I recommend the Highlander, and even though you may see a gazillion of them around town, most of them are not hybrids.

Hey thanks for the input, too bad though I had my heart set on the Porsche. I heard the 2006 models had a problem where one of the electric parts gave out and killed the engine at high speeds. People were having a problem getting a recall on it, not to mention how dangerous that sounds.

Sorter 11-14-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9117529)
Yeah I recently sold a civic and it had lots of problems although it wasn't a hybrid. I think the civic seems to be living off of it's reputation from the 90's.

I'm pretty disgusted by the MPG, other than that it is fine.

Really, I just hope I can get 10+K from Honda LMAO

Imon Yourside 11-14-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9117533)
I'm pretty disgusted by the MPG, other than that it is fine.

Really, I just hope I can get 10+K from Honda LMAO

That would be enough money to put towards another vehicle.

Sorter 11-14-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9117537)
That would be enough money to put towards another vehicle.

Or some decent Missouri strippers.

Honestly, it is a tough choice.

Imon Yourside 11-14-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9117546)

Honestly, it is a tough choice.

You should consult bubba the love sponge on that one, he will have the answer.

Rausch 11-14-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9117546)

I have found the only decent Missouri strippers aren't from Missouri.

Not that I....I mean.....**** it...

dmahurin 11-14-2012 05:14 AM

I drive a ford escape hybrid at work. The MPG is better than other suv's but not great. At low speeds it cuts the engine and runs on the battery but only below 15 mph. Then it has to use to more gas to restart the engine. The hybrid vehicle needs gas just as often as the non hybrid escape. Maintenance is higher on the hybrid, the cost is higher on the hybrid, and the gas savings MIGHT let you break even on the higher costs of owning over the lifetime of the vehicle, but breaking even defeats the purpose of saving money on gas doesn't it?

DrunkBassGuitar 11-14-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9117463)
I'm cheap and have a mechanic that does the labor for free. I know I should probably stay away from Hybrid vehicles but they do intrigue me.

look into turbo diesel

Red Beans 11-14-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9117471)

We bought one new last February. Its been an exceptional car, the hwy mileage is awesome. We made from the Missouri/Arkansas border to St. Joe and back on one tank of gas.

R8RFAN 11-14-2012 06:02 AM

Personally I think the best deal going in new cars, warranty + mpg is the Hyundai cars