ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Offseason Plan 2.0 (12/16/15) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296778)

Sfeihc 12-16-2015 09:31 PM

I really like the Rishard Matthews FA signing.

FRCDFED 12-17-2015 08:01 AM

Not a fan of burning a 4th rounder on a QB. There is still more value there at other positions. Almost feels like you picked a QB just to say you did.

O.city 12-17-2015 08:43 AM

Braxton miller would be a great pick

kccrow 12-17-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 11959076)
Not a fan of burning a 4th rounder on a QB. There is still more value there at other positions. Almost feels like you picked a QB just to say you did.

A 3rd rounder. On a legitimate prospect. Because the depth behind Alex is scary. Oh, and there is always better value at other positions about 99% of the time.

FRCDFED 12-17-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11959135)
A 3rd rounder. On a legitimate prospect. Because the depth behind Alex is scary. Oh, and there is always better value at other positions about 99% of the time.

My mistake. A third rounder. I am one that believes our window is closing with Charles, Hali, Johnson, Berry, etc. We know what we have in A. Smith and have acquired Macklin.

IMO...We need to draft more BPA talent to try to take advantage of this window. If we could hit on another pick like Peters and Ford somehow replicates his effort from last week on a continuous basis then we have a chance, albeit small, to make a run next season. Of course, many other aspects of your plan have to occur as well such as keeping key players.

The wheels are about to fall off this bus when we lose Hali, Johnson, Charles, Berry, Smith, etc. It's time to push the accelerator to the floor and see what this thing can do.

RunKC 12-17-2015 10:31 AM

I just reviewed your financial cap movements and I took out Hammond and Matthews.
That's leads to $24.255m money spent. We have $33.498m in projected cap space, so that would give us $9.693m left.

I would cut Grubbs and Fanaika with a June 1st designation to save $2.467m and cut Cooper and Commings (we just did) saving $1.258m.
Then I would restructure Colquitt pushing his money to a bonus for an extra year saving $2m. I don't think anybody would mind having him here through 2018.

That would give us $15.418. That's plenty to give Sean Smith $8m next year.

DJ's left nut 12-17-2015 11:10 AM

I think you're also light on your Howard, Allen and DJ projections.

You essentially gave Howard Bailey's deal and Bailey hadn't had a full season as good as the one Howard is having. I think you're probably going to have to bump each of those figures up by about 20% on Howard.

I dunno....you may not be too far off on Allen, it just feels like he's going to managed 4/$20. The injury history could obviously hold him back but he can point to the resurgence of the line at large once he got involved and I think that would be enough to convince one team to go the extra mile there.

DJ's just played WAY too well. You've got the guy taking a paycut from this season. I figure he's probably looking at 2/$12 with substantially more than $2 million guaranteed. And the Chiefs will pay it; he's been the most important player on our defense this year, IMO.

As for the picks...well I haven't done enough homework yet. I will say that I tend to think most 3rd round QBs are wasted effort thought there are obvious exceptions. In a perfect world where talent matches need, I'd like to see CB/ILB in rounds 1 and 2, OT in 3, slot WR in 4 and another interior lineman in 5.

It also wouldn't hurt to try to find another rotational DL to replace DeVito long-term.

The Franchise 12-17-2015 11:21 AM

Mike Daniels just got a 4 year, $42 million dollar deal from the Packers. Howard will probably be closer to that.

DJ's left nut 12-17-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11959390)
Mike Daniels just got a 4 year, $42 million dollar deal from the Packers. Howard will probably be closer to that.

Hadn't seen that. That's unfortunate. I was thinking in the 4/32 range for Howard but you may be right.

And cutting Grubbs/Colquitt would also save us about $7 million next season.

He's just a punter, fellas. And while he's a good punter, he's not a difference maker. I'll concede that this is probably the best season of his career but if you're team's playing quality football then your punter just shouldn't need to matter as much and damn sure shouldn't be a $4+ million cap hit.

O.city 12-17-2015 11:29 AM

Yeah, they did it with the other kicker, so it makes sense to do it with Colquitt.

They needed him the first 2 years of the regime. They weren't explosive on offense and had to win games playing field position and defense.

As the offense gets more explosive, they need to transition away from him, sadly

DJ's left nut 12-17-2015 11:32 AM

So if you look at the Daniels contract, it's really just a 2 yr deal, IMO.

That said, with the $12 million signing bonus he secured, he's pretty much uncuttable in years 1 and 2. Over those 2 seasons he'll make $5 and $7.5 million in base/roster bonuses. So over the next 2 years he's looking at getting $24 million after the signing bonus, roster bonuses and base salary.

Yeah, that's a hell of a contract for him. Sure wish we could've gotten Howard inked before that one because you have to believe that re-sets the market.

RunKC 12-17-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11959409)
Hadn't seen that. That's unfortunate. I was thinking in the 4/32 range for Howard but you may be right.

And cutting Grubbs/Colquitt would also save us about $7 million next season.

He's just a punter, fellas. And while he's a good punter, he's not a difference maker. I'll concede that this is probably the best season of his career but if you're team's playing quality football then your punter just shouldn't need to matter as much and damn sure shouldn't be a $4+ million cap hit.

I agree. And that would go a lon way to keeping Sean Smith, who will likely cost around $8-9m next season.

O.city 12-17-2015 11:34 AM

Are any of you guys a little afraid of signing a DL who happens to have a career year in a contract year?

DJ's left nut 12-17-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11959436)
Are any of you guys a little afraid of signing a DL who happens to have a career year in a contract year?

Maybe a little.

But Howard's a guy that fought his way back from injury/irrelevance to make himself into a damn productive lunchpail kind of player. It's not like he loafed for his first 3 seasons, he was simply injured and buried on the depth chart. I don't think he turned it on for a contract push - I think he got a chance to excel and he made the most of it.

He's the kind of guy you at least make an effort to re-sign if for no other reason than the message it sends the locker room.

Howard's not a silver-spoon player. He's not a guy that's been some sure thing his whole career. He's busted his ass for several seasons to mold himself into a difference maker and you have to think some of that work ethic will remain ingrained.

Signing anyone to a long-term contract is a risk in the NFL but I think Howard is a decent risk.

O.city 12-17-2015 11:48 AM

I don't have a problem signing him, hes been very good and he fits the scheme well. I think some of the Dbacks we need to keep are a little higher priority wise with the way this regime seems to develop DLman.