ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Looking ahead to Sunday Night (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288663)

temper11 11-24-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 11141146)
Denver has to stop the 3rd down conversion more than anything in this game. Box up on the run and stick the best cover guy on Kelce. Force Smith to find a WR.

Smith to Bowe has been pretty good this year.... just hasn't connected for TD's but plenty of 1st downs. Avant on the other side (assuming he will be WR2 this week - which I don't know) will only help that scenario. As usual... the Chiefs win or loss is all on the offensive and defensive line. If they can open up lanes and not let Charles get tackled as he is getting the ball handed to him (as what happened multiple times Thursday nights) - good sign for Chiefs. If they can protect long enough for Smith to get to the end of his 3 to 5 step drop and set his feet and connect on the short to medium range passes that everyone loathes so much - good sign for the Chiefs. If the Defensive line (and blitz packages) can pressure manning - good sign for the Chiefs.

As with most games, he who wins in the trenches, wins the game (Bills game notwithstanding).

Aspengc8 11-24-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11141162)
I do.

They're the best offense because of the passing game, which we can stop.

Not if they drop four picks like last week.

Iconic 11-24-2014 11:20 AM

I think we win this with solid pass coverage on short to medium routes and sustaining long offensive possessions.

We won't get a ton of pressure on Manning but that won't be a necessity as long as we're limiting his opportunities with the football.

Mile High Mania 11-24-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 11141190)
Smith to Bowe has been pretty good this year.... just hasn't connected for TD's but plenty of 1st downs.

Interesting to note that yes, Bowe is on pace to have a better year than 2013 in regards to receptions and yards. It's the lack of TDs that give the impression that he does nothing really, at least to the outside viewer.

68 targets with 44 receptions, 32 first downs - really good. That's only 4 catches a game though, with nearly 3 of those being first downs. Bowe has devolved into the safety valve to move the sticks with this 12.5 ypc.

Smith is 28th in the league with 6.76 yards per attempt passing. Smith is 31st in passing yards per game ... the key is to contain the ground game, don't let the TEs get open and Arrowhead is transformed into Puntsville, MO.

Titty Meat 11-24-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11141162)
I do.

They're the best offense because of the passing game, which we can stop.

The run game is trickier for us to stop, but it's not a forte of the Donks.

No we can't. Our secondary is overrated none of our corners match up against Denvers WR's.

The Chiefs offense can't score 30 points and the defense can't turn Manning over. This game is a loss.

MagicHef 11-24-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 11141146)
Denver has to stop the 3rd down conversion more than anything in this game. Box up on the run and stick the best cover guy on Kelce. Force Smith to find a WR.

Denver is allowing 36.7% of 3rd downs to be converted. The league average is 41%.

Actually, Denver is just a bit better than KC right now, they're at 36.9%.

Mile High Mania 11-24-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 11141236)
Denver is allowing 36.7% of 3rd downs to be converted. The league average is 41%.

Actually, Denver is just a bit better than KC right now, they're at 36.9%.

I'll say this - as a fan that watches Denver games, you can't tell me that Denver doesn't give up too many critical 3rd down conversions. Every week, it happens. The stats may support the theory that they're not bad - but when it has really mattered to kill a drive, they have given it up.

So, sure the stats may not support the comment, but I've watched too many drives continue because we fall short when it matters on stopping them at 3rd down.

temper11 11-24-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 11141216)
Smith is 28th in the league with 6.76 yards per attempt passing. Smith is 31st in passing yards per game ... the key is to contain the ground game, don't let the TEs get open and Arrowhead is transformed into Puntsville, MO.

Smith has always been near the bottom in yards per attempt passing through his last 3+ years of success. This is not a stat that really matters for the Chiefs this weekend.

31st in passing yards per game. I think this stat is not as important as people think. Chiefs are also near the bottom of the league in number of offensive possessions which is going to directly correlate into passing yards. Chiefs have also enjoyed playing most of their games with the lead which directly correlates to pounding the rock to grind the clock in the later portion of the game. If the Broncos do a decent job containing (not destroying but containing) the run game and take away the TE, but do not get heavy and early pressure on Smith, I still like the Chiefs chances. Short but steady passing plays to Charles, Bowe, Sherman and Avant will do just as good as short plays to Fasano and Kelce. It all hinges on the line.

Rain Man 11-24-2014 11:50 AM

at least they're not playing the raiders this week. Man, that team was tough.

TEX 11-24-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 11141232)
No we can't. Our secondary is overrated none of our corners match up against Denvers WR's.

The Chiefs offense can't score 30 points and the defense can't turn Manning over. This game is a loss.

Also can't seem to EVER generate a pass rush against them. (Choke holds become legal, especially against Tamba) Do that and the defense has a shot. But yea, I agree withe what you said.

MagicHef 11-24-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 11141253)
I'll say this - as a fan that watches Denver games, you can't tell me that Denver doesn't give up too many critical 3rd down conversions. Every week, it happens. The stats may support the theory that they're not bad - but when it has really mattered to kill a drive, they have given it up.

So, sure the stats may not support the comment, but I've watched too many drives continue because we fall short when it matters on stopping them at 3rd down.

I'd love for Denver's 3rd down percentage to be better as well, but I'm guessing that fans of every team think that their team gives up too many 3rd downs on defense and doesn't convert enough 3rd downs on offense.

Jimmya 11-24-2014 11:57 AM

We better have some LONG offensive drives with 7 points scored not 3 or turnover on downs.

Mile High Mania 11-24-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 11141264)
I'd love for Denver's 3rd down percentage to be better as well, but I'm guessing that fans of every team think that their team gives up too many 3rd downs on defense and doesn't convert enough 3rd downs on offense.

I would just simply like to see more 3 and outs.

Mile High Mania 11-24-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 11141268)
We better have some LONG offensive drives with 7 points scored not 3 or turnover on downs.

Long drives and owning the TOP nearly worked out in week 2, Denver had the ball for less than 24 minutes - still put up 24 points.

TEX 11-24-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 11141268)

Yep, very critical to come away with 7 and sustain drives. Honestly, IF the Chiefs ground game is in gear like it was against New England or Seattle, we have a VERY good shot at winning. If not, we don't have much of one.