ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Ketchup/catsup. What's your take? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284024)

Deberg_1990 05-30-2014 01:30 PM

Whataburger Spicy ketchup
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy! 05-30-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10660673)
Whataburger Spicy ketchup
Posted via Mobile Device

Whataburger ketchup tastes like a strange mix of BBQ sauce and ketchup. I can't say I'm a fan, except on a Whataburger burger.

Donger 05-30-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10660606)
Good, huh? Haven't tried it, but may.

I will say even though I switched from Heinz to Hunt's, I didn't do that until Hunt's started selling the no preservatives, no HFCS version. It's vastly superior to their regular bottle.

It's a little odd/different at first because it doesn't taste like red sugar, but I'm not kidding. I hate the taste of normal ketchup now.

Fire Me Boy! 05-30-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10660680)
It's a little odd/different at first because it doesn't taste like red sugar, but I'm not kidding. I hate the taste of normal ketchup now.

I may try it. It didn't take me long to go complete Red Coat on Heinz when I switched to Hunt's. I'll give it a shot next time I buy.

WhawhaWhat 05-30-2014 01:39 PM

I get Trader Joe's ketchup mostly and it's in plastic bottles. I put it on burgers, hot dogs, brats, fries, hash browns.

Kansas City Kid 05-30-2014 01:42 PM

Henz Real Jalapeno Ketchup......followed by sitting on the pot and using a couple of Shittens at getshittensdotcom

Chief Roundup 05-30-2014 02:37 PM

Don't care much for ketchup unless it is on a good meatloaf like my wife makes. It is loaded in salt and acids.

hometeam 05-30-2014 02:43 PM

I eat basically 99% of all things available to be eaten.

ketchup is not one of them. Yall mother****ers need mustard.

Rain Man 05-30-2014 02:44 PM

The spelling of the word ketchup/catsup is one of my greatest stresses in life. I really have no idea which spelling to use.

Fire Me Boy! 05-30-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10660794)
The spelling of the word ketchup/catsup is one of my greatest stresses in life. I really have no idea which spelling to use.

Think the bolded part at the end may help you.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29649...hup-and-catsup

Quote:

Ketchup and catsup are simply two different spellings for the same thing, a modern, Westernized version of a condiment that European traders were introduced to while visiting the Far East in the late 17th century. What exactly that condiment was and where they found it is a matter of debate.

It could have been ke-chiap from China's southern coastal Fujian region or it could have been kicap (a Malay word borrowed from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese, also spelled kecapand ketjap) from Indonesia, both of which are sauces based on brined or pickled fish or shellfish, herbs and spices. Whatever it was, the Europeans liked it, and as early 1690, they brought it back home with them, calling it catchup.

The early Western versions of the sauce - which, starting in 1711, was sometimes called ketchup, another Anglicization of the Malay name popularized in the book An Account of Trade in India - were pretty faithful to the original Eastern ones, with one of the earliest recipes published in England (1727) calling for anchovies, shallots, vinegar, white wine, cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg, pepper and lemon peel. It wasn't until almost a century later that tomatoes found their way into the sauce, in a recipe in an American cook book published in 1801. In the meantime, another alternative spelling popped up, mentioned in a 1730 Jonathan Swift poem: "And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo [a fish roe-based relish], catsup, and caveer [caviar]."

The tomato-based version of ketchup quickly caught on in the U.S. during the first few decades of the 19th century. At first, it was made and locally sold by farmers, but by 1837 at least one company was producing and distributing it on a national scale. The H. J. Heinz Company, a name that's synonymous with ketchup for most people today, was a relative latecomer to the game and didn't produce a tomato-based ketchup until 1876. They originally referred to their product as catsup, but switched to ketchup in the 1880s to stand out. Eventually, ketchup became the standard spelling in the industry and among consumers, though you can still find catsup strongholds sprinkled across the U.S.

Stewie 05-30-2014 02:55 PM

Ketchup is pretty low on my list, but I'm not a sweet tooth... as in, I also just tried those King Hawaiian rolls. It's like they dumped a bunch of sugar in a Wonder Bread recipe.

TimBone 05-30-2014 02:55 PM

I'm interested in this Simple Truth Organic. Is it widely available, or am I going to have to hit up a Whole Foods or something similar?

Predarat 05-30-2014 02:59 PM

Heinz Glass is the best. love it for Dogs and Burgers.

Donger 05-30-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10660816)
I'm interested in this Simple Truth Organic. Is it widely available, or am I going to have to hit up a Whole Foods or something similar?

It's a Kroger brand, so I would imagine it's available at any of their grocery store chains.

gblowfish 05-30-2014 03:03 PM

Technically, I think "Ketchup" and "Catsup" are not exactly the identical thing. Catsup is usually spicier.
But I've seen Brooks label their stuff both "Ketchup" and "Catsup."

Heinz and Hunt's make Ketchup
Brooks makes Catsup.
http://www.catsupbottle.com/