ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Do you support local companies? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270047)

Prison Bitch 02-14-2013 10:39 PM

The poll is running 12-1. How many of them use Sprint? Or bought a Garmin?

NewChief 02-14-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9404362)
Are they hiring writers? I think I could be a really good greeting card writer.

"Get well soon, unless of course you're hoping to die."

"Happy Valentine's Day. Be mine forever, or until that hot blonde neighbor wants me."

"Merry Christmas if you're not Jewish, in which case I'm sorry for your people's torment."

That's pretty close to the humor of a lot of the indie card lines.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/shopsaplingpress

Phobia 02-14-2013 11:01 PM

I support local small business. Applebees sucks. Sprint sucks in KC. I loved Sprint for 7 years in Houston. Moved to KC and calls drop, phones don't ring when called, coverage is spotty. I loathe Sprint in town. I'm guessing the only reason their market share in KC is the same as other markets is because so many employees and contractors utilize the service.

I do shop Owen lumber over Home Depot and Lowes. I very rarely eat at a chain restaurant - always locally owned establishments.

Hoover 02-14-2013 11:04 PM

If I can buy local I will.

If I can support conservative leaning companies I do that too.

Dayze 02-14-2013 11:10 PM

When I had my motorcycles I took them strictly to Smithers. Local shop, outstanding work

I try to buy local when I can. Joslins jewelry is another great place. And The Pen Place (I'm a sucker for fine fountain pens)

Nzoner 02-15-2013 06:57 AM

Being in the direct mail advertising business I support the companies who support me,some are local,some are national.

DaKCMan AP 02-15-2013 07:06 AM

Sure, but my definition of local doesn't include national chains.

Loneiguana 02-15-2013 07:18 AM

If anyone is ever in Springfield, MO, and wants to support a local restaurant, Cielito Lindo on North Glenstone is a great, local, family owned Mexican Restaurant.

pkane 02-15-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404406)
The poll is running 12-1. How many of them use Sprint? Or bought a Garmin?

No to Sprint. I had 7 lines with them for 15 years. Finally had enough with their poor coverage and even worse customer service. Switched out 2 years ago.

I do try to buy local when I can. Farmers market in the summer is good too.

KCUnited 02-15-2013 07:59 AM

I only see bands that come to Sandstone.

jspchief 02-15-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9404804)

agree

Canofbier 02-15-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9404804)

Those are my thoughts too. I voted "no" in the poll based on what his description of a local business was, but I will usually prefer a mom & pop shop to a big chain when the products are comparable.

warpaint* 02-15-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404151)
Browsing the Hallmark store today over lunch to get my wife a Valentine's Day card, I wondered how many people in KC would not purchase a Hallmark product even if it was more expensive. I'm sure my limited spending won't make much of a difference, but I nearly always buy local if I can. I will buy Hallmark, eat at Applebee's over Chilis (even though it sucks), buy a Garmin GPS and use Sprint cellphone service.

Others might disagree. I have a good friend who works at Sprint. He said it's a known fact inside the company that their marketshare here in KC ("share of decisions") is no greater or worse than their national average. So people in KC won't bother supporting Sprint which is a huge economic engine here. I think that's crazy. I assume the same studies would bear out for Hallmark or Garmin.

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

I do outside of Applebee's. Can't do it. Sucks too bad.

Basically I try to give any local company the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be a pile of hot garbage such as Applebee's.

Then again in that area I like BBQ anyway so I'm always supporting local!

Phobia 02-15-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 9404810)
If anyone is ever in Springfield, MO, and wants to support a local restaurant, Cielito Lindo on North Glenstone is a great, local, family owned Mexican Restaurant.

You should host the next ChiefsPlanet gathering there. How is the cashew chicken at that location?

-King- 02-15-2013 10:20 AM

Don't give a **** where its made. Price + quality is what makes me buy something.
Posted via Mobile Device