ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288320)

Chief_For_Life58 11-12-2014 10:20 AM

"We have run out of ideas how to get this thing to work so we need to recruit better engineers. Anyone please send resume with cover letter to skunk works. Thank you"

Chief_For_Life58 11-12-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 11105498)
If, or when it happens, the middle east can pretty much go **** themselves. They live in a freaking desert that is only good for one thing, and that is oil. If the need for mass amounts of oil goes away, they are ****ed. Can't wait.

Oil will still be used for cars, plastics, pharmaceuticals....it won't be till a long ass time until someone builds one of these things small enough, efficient enough, and cost efficient enough to fit into your shitty chevy. If they could use it to replace coal electrical power plants tho that would be awesome

Gonzo 11-12-2014 10:40 AM

This is what causes the apocalypse. Bank on it. Fusion creates zombies, I guarantee it.

Baby Lee 11-12-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11105558)
Wasn't this news like a month ago? There's some interesting competing technologies in development showing some promise as well.

Yes, this is pretty much the same story that first emerged 2-3 weeks ago. Sorry for not prioritizing repost police duties.

But it remains a theoretical work in progress. They are presently fabricating a machine they think will achieve their objectives, but have not replicated their projected results to date, so far as I know.

DaneMcCloud 11-12-2014 10:52 AM

Whether or not fusion becomes the world's #1 energy resource, it should help to curb the use of fossil fuels and our usage of Middle Eastern oil.

I call that a Win-Win.

Rukdafaidas 11-12-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11105473)
off-topic, but will never happen ( in terms of it being applied to cars etc)

the government and oil folks make way to much money to let something like this ever become feasible / common place.

Yeah, plus I don't know if 100 mega watts would be enough for my pickup.

Baby Lee 11-12-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11105665)
Whether or not fusion becomes the world's #1 energy resource, it should help to curb the use of fossil fuels and our usage of Middle Eastern oil.

I call that a Win-Win.

It's potential hasn't been in question since we gained understanding of what happens in the Sun. It's practicality remains in question yet.

ptlyon 11-12-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 11105667)
Yeah, plus I don't know if 100 mega watts would be enough for my pickup.

That's not loud enough

BigRedChief 11-12-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11105656)
Yes, this is pretty much the same story that first emerged 2-3 weeks ago. Sorry for not prioritizing repost police duties.

But it remains a theoretical work in progress. They are presently fabricating a machine they think will achieve their objectives, but have not replicated their projected results to date, so far as I know.

Yes, others are as close on this research.

My son is studying quanta. I've picked up a little from osmosis.

Quantum energy will be the final energy source. Quanta exists in every atom. All matter is made of atoms. If we can harness these quanta, the possibilities are unlimited.Teleportation, warp drive, Power for everything.

The easiest, non tech, explanation for quanta's I could find on a web search..................

Quantum means a very small speck of something, in this case, an elemental unit of energy. It turns out that quanta (several small specks of energy) exist in the background of all atoms and show themselves even at the coldest of temperatures, zero degrees Kelvin (or absolute zero) the lowest of all possible energy states.

This is demonstrated when all matter has been removed and nothing is left to make any motion, in essence, nothing should move. And yet, these infinitesimally small packets of energy exist, sometimes as particles and sometimes as waves. And this energy fills the space or void.

Now, where do you and I come in? We, and everything around us is made up of atoms. If the foundation of all atoms is this energy field, then we have this energy within us. Through and through. Everywhere. In fact, there is no beginning or end to it, where one atom starts and another stops. The energy is continuous.

And it turns out that this energy, when it moves in waves, has no boundaries, not in space, and not in time. So, you can consider yourself tethered, if you will, by this energy field in the background of every atom in your body, to everything that exists, has existed and will exist.

You really have no physical boundary when it comes to this energy field. And in fact, you are entangled energetically to everything else, to everyone else, in the physical world we see, and the non-physical world we don’t see, as in our consciousness, or more simply, our thoughts.

Lzen 11-12-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 11105574)
Oil will still be used for cars, plastics, pharmaceuticals....it won't be till a long ass time until someone builds one of these things small enough, efficient enough, and cost efficient enough to fit into your shitty chevy. If they could use it to replace coal electrical power plants tho that would be awesome

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3HYoq6vIVXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief_For_Life58 11-12-2014 12:01 PM

Where were going we don't need roads

Rausch 11-12-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11105685)
Yes, others are as close on this research.

My son is studying quanta. I've picked up a little from osmosis.

Quantum energy will be the final energy source. Quanta exists in every atom. All matter is made of atoms. If we can harness these quanta, the possibilities are unlimited.Teleportation, warp drive, Power for everything.

The easiest, non tech, explanation for quanta's I could find on a web search..................

Quantum means a very small speck of something, in this case, an elemental unit of energy. It turns out that quanta (several small specks of energy) exist in the background of all atoms and show themselves even at the coldest of temperatures, zero degrees Kelvin (or absolute zero) the lowest of all possible energy states.

This is demonstrated when all matter has been removed and nothing is left to make any motion, in essence, nothing should move. And yet, these infinitesimally small packets of energy exist, sometimes as particles and sometimes as waves. And this energy fills the space or void.

Now, where do you and I come in? We, and everything around us is made up of atoms. If the foundation of all atoms is this energy field, then we have this energy within us. Through and through. Everywhere. In fact, there is no beginning or end to it, where one atom starts and another stops. The energy is continuous.

And it turns out that this energy, when it moves in waves, has no boundaries, not in space, and not in time. So, you can consider yourself tethered, if you will, by this energy field in the background of every atom in your body, to everything that exists, has existed and will exist.

You really have no physical boundary when it comes to this energy field. And in fact, you are entangled energetically to everything else, to everyone else, in the physical world we see, and the non-physical world we don’t see, as in our consciousness, or more simply, our thoughts.

Best used as an information source - not an energy source...

Mr. Laz 11-12-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 11105574)

a fusion powered car ... agreed.

using fusion to produce massive amounts of cheap electricity for electric cars could come fairly quickly

DaneMcCloud 11-12-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11105672)
It's potential hasn't been in question since we gained understanding of what happens in the Sun. It's practicality remains in question yet.

But as a scientist, don't you believe that's an issue more to do with funding and proper research?

I think I've mentioned this before but I know a few very high level engineers that have built power plants worldwide that have both said that had the proper resources been allocated to solve the cold fusion issue, it would have been implemented 20 years ago.

alpha_omega 11-12-2014 12:16 PM

I bet there are some Chinese operatives who would like to work at Lockheed.