ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink CP Home Brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297099)

Bearcat 12-30-2015 04:43 PM

I've done it for a couple of years, but haven't jumped to all grain yet. It's fun to experiment.... I make 5 gallon batches and will sometimes split them in half after fermentation, so if I screw up by throwing stuff in, it's not to the whole thing. Don't drink all that much, so it gets me by for months along with the beer I buy.

Radar Chief 12-30-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11985947)
I've found beers YEARS old that were fine, stored in dark bottles , no light....no extremely warm temps. I've actually had beers that tasted better after a year than after a month....that's why the hobby is so fun....experimenting is a blast...or just finding a 6er after a couple years you thought was another pack of empties

Pretty much.
Keep your bottles in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight and your beer should last quite a while.

Bearcat 12-30-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11986027)
I just threw out all my home brewing stuff. Been doing it since the early '90's. ****ing stupid, pain in the ass shit.

Amazing how you can go to the liquor store these days and find a beer that is exactly what you wanted to make and tastes a shit ton better, is cheaper and is already there not having to waste all that time and money and effort to make.

I assume you're once again trolling, which is getting annoying, but I chuckled on the part about how it's cheaper to buy something at the liquor store... if you've ever home brewed once, much less for 20+ years, and you're not saving a ton of money, you're doing it wrong.

Ming the Merciless 12-30-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11986027)
I just threw out all my home brewing stuff. Been doing it since the early '90's. ****ing stupid, pain in the ass shit.

Amazing how you can go to the liquor store these days and find a beer that is exactly what you wanted to make and tastes a shit ton better, is cheaper and is already there not having to waste all that time and money and effort to make.

I don't think cheaper, but the rest I agree with. You should be able to make real good beers for about 50-60 cents each, IIRC. I don't think you're gonna be able to match that in the store. It's like cooking...you either enjoy it or not.

KCUnited 12-30-2015 04:48 PM

I had a similar dilemma when considering moving to all grain but living in a condo. Fortunately up here, I'm not alone and joined a homebrew club where a membership fee gets me access to their brew house, all their equipment, and a temp controlled fermentation area. Not sure if KC has something like that, but it's a really smart idea and a good way to network and learn from others.

I have a Kern River citra clone fermenting atm.

Ming the Merciless 12-30-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 11987104)
If you're brewing for a cheap buzz you're better off just going to the liquor store cause home brewing isn't much, if any, cheaper.

I think it depends on what you drink. Alot of even regular quality microbrews can be 10 bucks a 6 pack or 4-5 bucks for a 22. You can make beer that good and for less with just a little effort.

If you're drinking coirs light...then yah its tough to compete against corn syrup bought by the million gallon.

KCUnited 12-30-2015 04:53 PM

Also, hoppier stuff is going to fall off faster as far as shelf life.

Bearcat 12-30-2015 04:57 PM

I've made some pretty decent stuff... coffee/chocolage stouts, a black IPA... but, I also think my taste for really good beer has kind of surpassed what I can make at home, mostly in body/mouthfeel/smoothness... granted, it's only been a handful of batches which will continue to be improved on.

Lonewolf Ed 12-30-2015 05:00 PM

I used to be an intermediate brewer about 20 years ago. The best batch I ever made was an Octoberfest made with 5 gallons of water I brought back from Montana. I made a very nice milk stout once, as well. These days, the equipment has changed, so to get back in it, I'd pretty much have to buy all new stuff.

KCUnited 12-30-2015 05:06 PM

My problem is that I'm still buying just as much beer as I did before I was brewing it.

Wilson8 12-30-2015 05:08 PM

Grains & Taps in downtown Lee's Summit has supplies and help in making what you are trying to brew.

Bearcat 12-30-2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11987176)
My problem is that I'm still buying just as much beer as I did before I was brewing it.

Same here, at least in the winter... I should have started 5+ years ago and I wouldn't have to worry about not seeing stouts in the summer, but these days there are plenty available all year. That's the one reason I don't make more... there's so much good stuff out there that I'm willing to pay for, so I don't care so much about making 50 cent beer, even if it's pretty decent.

KCUnited 12-30-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 11987200)
Same here, at least in the winter... I should have started 5+ years ago and I wouldn't have to worry about not seeing stouts in the summer, but these days there are plenty available all year. That's the one reason I don't make more... there's so much good stuff out there that I'm willing to pay for, so I don't care so much about making 50 cent beer, even if it's pretty decent.

It's a lot like BBQ when I lived in KC. I liked to BBQ in the backyard because I like to cook and I like to eat BBQ. I didn't BBQ so I could replace or save money on Joes. I understand why some people do brew to save $$$, but I can't brew most of the many beers I love.

Sorce 12-30-2015 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started this red ale on Monday.

http://i.imgur.com/euKzEIi.jpg?1

I haven't done all grain, this started with grains and added LME. I've also made wine before, I waited until I got a kegerator to start doing beer, I didn't want to bottle it all.

Marcellus 12-30-2015 09:00 PM

Wow where to start?

Yes you can make beer cheaper than you can buy it unless your goal is to make Keystone or Coors.

I do 10gal all grain batches regularly and cost varies from $25 - $60 per batch which is less than $1 a beer and you cant buy good beer for that at the liquor store.

You definitely have some equipment investment that gets paid down the more you brew.

Brewing is for people who enjoy it kind of like cooking. Its not simple but if its your passion then its always fun.

I have been brewing mostly my own recipes for several years and have made some really good stuff. You can make beer that is as good or better than most commercial beers with a little practice and education.

My first suggestion is to read John Palmers "How to Brew".

Then buy and use a brewing software like Beersmith.

http://beersmith.com/

And to get a subscription to BYO. http://byo.com/

I have brewed around 150gal per year the last few years and actually plan to up that this year.

Right now I have 5 beers either on tap or in the bottle from Pilsners to Stouts to Brett Beers.

I am not an expert but have brewed a lot the last 4 years and if you have questions I am willing to help if I can.

Extract
Mini Mash
Brew In a Bag
All Grain Multi Vessel

They all make good beer if you do it right. :drool: