ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

BOXERAJ 05-29-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Are there any other schools that use a nickname on fields/uniforms/etc like Mizzou does?

I really don't mean that in a negative way...I just saw it and it got me thinking. I really can't think of any other school that does that, but surely there is.
Ol Miss?
Virginia Tech?

Saulbadguy 05-29-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8644870)
Field looks great. Got kind of an off topic question....

Are there any other schools that use a nickname on fields/uniforms/etc like Mizzou does?

I really don't mean that in a negative way...I just saw it and it got me thinking. I really can't think of any other school that does that, but surely there is.

K-State.

BOXERAJ 05-29-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8644870)
Field looks great. Got kind of an off topic question....

Uconn.

Bambi 05-29-2012 11:03 AM

Field looks great Mizzou.

Bambi 05-29-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8644815)
The field looks incredible. Is there going to be a track around it?

Why would they have a track? Does Missouri host an annual relay competition?

Saulbadguy 05-29-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8644946)
Why would they have a track? Does Missouri host an annual relay competition?

Most places don't put a track around the football field. Looks pretty "small time", if you know what I mean.

DeezNutz 05-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8644954)
Most places don't put a track around the football field. Looks pretty "small time", if you know what I mean.

You need the grass in the middle so that the throwers have somewhere to practice.

Frazod 05-29-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 8644879)
Struck a nerve did I?

Not even if you stood on a ladder. LMAO

ChiefsCountry 05-29-2012 11:15 AM

I still hate the look of the endzones. The Diamond crap has always looked like crap to me.

Bambi 05-29-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Ah gotcha. Some places have historic track and field competitions annually so the desire for a track lends itself to be something those apart of the university enjoy.

But some people aren't into certain things. No big deal.

Saul Good 05-29-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8644975)
Ah gotcha. Some places have historic track and field competitions annually so the desire for a track lends itself to be something those apart of the university enjoy.

But some people aren't into certain things. No big deal.

Some universities care enough about their football program that they don't build their football stadium with track and field in mind.

Kansas fans aren't into their football team, so it's hard to fault the decision. It sure takes away from the experience of watching a game person though. No big deal.

alnorth 05-29-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

This criticism is kinda silly if you are talking about one of the few major relays in the midwest. OU, Okie State, and K-State all have separate tracks, but only dinky little bleachers that seat a bit over 1,000. KU cant do that, they had over 26,000 as recently as 2006 when they had some olympic gold medal winners competing. They'd need to either build a new 20,000-seat track stadium (which seems like an extravagant waste of money to me), or hold it at the football stadium. Who cares about the aesthetics if you are one of the very few universities holding a real large relay? The only other major relays in our area are the Texas and Drake relays. (Missouri apparently has a relay too, but I never really heard of it before searching just now)

Texas has a huge track stadium because they are filthy rich. Drake obviously has their event in a football stadium. This isn't some high school, the Kansas Relays are a very old, major college track event.

alnorth 05-29-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8645115)
Some universities care enough about their football program that they don't build their football stadium with track and field in mind.

Kansas fans aren't into their football team, so it's hard to fault the decision. It sure takes away from the experience of watching a game person though. No big deal.

The Kansas relays used to be a very big, huge deal and are still one of the biggest midwest track events. You cant just ignore history and act like we built it yesterday.

edit: also I don't understand how it "takes away from the experience of watching a football game". Why does the track matter? You sit down, see the track, get up, throw your beer away in disgust, and stomp away saying "I saw a track! My day is ruined, I'm going home!"

sedated 05-29-2012 12:54 PM

As a KU fan, I want to point out that I hate the track around the football field. I don’t value KS relays enough to take pride in our football stadium looking like a high school’s.

alnorth 05-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8645161)
As a KU fan, I want to point out that I hate the track around the football field. I don’t value KS relays enough to take pride in our football stadium looking like a high school’s.

The Kansas relays are 85 years old and still draw crowds. Its seen as a convenient event for elite athletes to compete in preparation for national, world, or olympic events.

They aren't going away, and we can't just throw a few bleachers around a local high school track. It also seems really silly to me to build a huge Texas-like track stadium, only to watch it basically sit unused 362 days per year.

This aversion to seeing a track around a football field, when the track is actually used for something meaningful, is completely illogical. Seeing grass or astroturf there makes you happy, but a track upsets you? What if they just covered the track up with a joker-hair-green loop of temporary astroturf after the relays are done? Why should that make a difference?