ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

notorious 09-24-2017 06:13 PM

Please be good. Please.

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 06:16 PM

It might be a surprise, but I've been told that it's excellent

Deberg_1990 09-24-2017 06:17 PM

It's on free CBS tv tonight? Is this only for tonight?

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13103101)
It's on free CBS tv tonight? Is this only for tonight?

Yes and yes

Buehler445 09-24-2017 06:23 PM

I set the DVR. I'll read this thread to see if I'll watch it.

keg in kc 09-24-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13103092)

Everything online the last week has indicated the same, as well.

mnchiefsguy 09-24-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13103092)

Really hope you are right. I have low expectations, so that should help.

Frazod 09-24-2017 08:16 PM

Well, it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would, but I'm still not impressed. Don't like the look of it, absolutely hate what they've done to the Klingons, and while I don't know how it will work online, if I have to pay to watch something that sticks me with this many commercial breaks, they can shove this shit.

I'll have to hear good things about more episodes before I even consider paying a cent for this crap.

Bowser 09-24-2017 09:24 PM

I thought it looked amazing. Had the look of a movie, not a TV show. The effects were top notch, and I thought the acting was really good. I enjoyed the interaction of the Discovery crew.

But why do they feel they need to redo the origin story of the Klingons to some faith based caste? Everyone that tuned in know who and what the Klingons are, we don't need a Kelvin type of reorganization of the Klingon Empire. And I just couldn't get over how cheaply they incorporated Sarek into the story. Spock had a sister in law that we've never known about? Pfffft.

Overall I liked it, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to pay to see the rest.

RealSNR 09-24-2017 09:29 PM

The Klingons are now ancient Egyptians?

Visually, these Klingons have more in common with the Goa'uld from Stargate than they do actual Klingons established by the previous series.

Yes, I know that the Klingons changed dramatically beginning with Star Trek The Motion Picture and continuing throughout the TNG - ENT, but that's the point. They changed the appearance of those aliens once already, and came up with a bizarre explanation in ENT to account for the smooth-headed Klingons in TOS. Now they're taking ANOTHER prequel and changing their appearances and culture and surrounding aesthetic yet AGAIN?

Jamie 09-24-2017 09:57 PM

It was better than I expected. I don't love the uniforms and canon is completely out the window, but that's more subjective. The only objective criticism I have is how thick the Klingon makeup is. Was the dead Klingon's brother supposed to be scared of taking his place? I don't know, because all I could see was immobile rubber mask. The Saru makeup is borderline, it only works because Doug Jones is one of the best acting-through-makeup actors ever. And I don't think even he could make the Klingon makeup work.

Frazod 09-24-2017 10:43 PM

Against my better judgment, I dropped the $10 for a commercial free month and watched the second episode. I am rather annoyed with myself for doing so. :spank:

Excellent battle scenes, at least.

The Klingons are just so horribly done. It's jarring how awful that is. What the **** were they thinking? I'd really like to know who the idiots are who thought that was a good idea and managed to sell it to everybody else. I'm hoping it will grow on me at least to the point where I don't think about it, but seriously, I don't know.

RINGLEADER 09-24-2017 10:49 PM

Re: the Klingons the way the Created By credit is awarded on adapted material has everything to do with the crazy re-imagining -- that and too many cooks in the kitchen. I hate the Klingons and considering they're the backbone of the story it all just seemed rather pathetic.

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13104170)
Against my better judgment, I dropped the $10 for a commercial free month and watched the second episode. I am rather annoyed with myself for doing so. :spank:

Excellent battle scenes, at least.

The Klingons are just so horribly done. It's jarring how awful that is. What the **** were they thinking? I'd really like to know who the idiots are who thought that was a good idea and managed to sell it to everybody else. I'm hoping it will grow on me at least to the point where I don't think about it, but seriously, I don't know.

From my understanding, Bryan Fuller was the person that came up with the Klingon's new look.

Maybe it's best he stepped down as showrunner?

Frazod 09-24-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13104179)
From my understanding, Bryan Fuller was the person that came up with the Klingon's new look.

Maybe it's best he stepped down as showrunner?

:spock:

If so, that's appalling. The way I understood it he was whacked because he complained that they weren't going along with canon.

The one thing that saves it for me, and will probably continue to, is the martial aspect of it. I don't want saving whales or battling the moral implications of violating the prime directive because somebody saw a Vulcan with his knit cap off. I want space battles. I want strong nasty villains. Keep that coming and I'll find a way to deal with gorilla klingons and the goofy uniforms and ship designs.