ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Investing megathread extravaganza (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300589)

Buehler445 04-19-2024 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 17487206)
First off. I’m not a big investor. I have a separate police retirement growing but started a Roth IRA in December. I don’t put much in it, $100/every two weeks. I noticed it’s been dropping all week. Should I continue putting money in it or save my money since it’s tanking? I’m not negative yet but should be next week when this continues.

I only buy two mutual funds through Charles Schwab. SWTSX and SWISX. Mainly because I have no idea what I’m doing and just saw these on other forums.

Few things. You're doing the right thing.

I don't know what all you know, so if you already know it, accept my apologies.

What you have is a ROTH IRA. Understanding how it works impacts how you view it.

A ROTH IRA is a retirement account, meaning there are penalties if you pull it out before 59.5 years old That gives you a long term approach. The other component of ROTH that is important to know is that contributions go in after tax. Meaning you have paid tax on all contributions...BUT everything that comes out is tax free. So presuming there are capital gains, that is tax free. So the perspective to adopt here you are accumulating as many shares as possible because you have a long time for those shares to appreciate and capture the tax free gain.

Look up Dollar Cost Averaging. That prevents trying to time the market (and potentially being catestrophically wrong). Since you have time, I'd just buy it every 2 weeks and not even look at the balance. Just let it go.

Here is a 90 year graph of the S&P 500. At any point in history, if you have a 30 year time window, it will appreciate. Plus, if you're dollar cost averaging, you're buying more shares as the price goes down, so if it takes off, you're growing a bigger position. One way to think about it is when the market goes down, you're buying on sale. Same asset, cheaper price.

https://www.macrotrends.net/assets/i...chart-data.png

NOTE: I'm not licensed. I can't advise you, this is just what I'd do.

As far as the funds, I'm not a big International fund guy. There hasn't been a big time when International has outperformed American ones. But almost every fiduciary or CFP will tell you international is important to a diversified portfolio. They're probably correct. I just disagree.

I'm also a big S&P500 guy. But I ran a quick backtest of Schwabs S&P500 Index fund (SWPPX) to your SWTSX, and there isn't much of a difference so I think you're good there.

Backtest Link

If it's me (and it's not - it's very much you. We may have different risk tolerances), I'd switch it up a bit. What you have is about as diversified as you can be. Which is fine if that's what you're after. Since you have your pension, you have the base covered as essentially a risk free return, so I think you can be a little less conservative with your IRA. If it's me, I switch the funds up a little bit, and shoot for a little higher return and pull off some diversification. If it's my account I put 50% in SWPPX (S&P 500 Index Fund) and SCHG (Schwab Growth fund).

I ran a backtest on it, and the more aggressive approach yielded 4% better. Those haven't been around too long, so the test only goes back to 2010, so it doesn't look that much different, but it will over time as compounding happens.

Backtest link.

I feel pretty confident about the DCA comments, but probably less so about picking funds. I can be pretty wrong on that, but given what you described, this is what I'd do.

scho63 04-20-2024 01:25 AM

My SHOP options were a FLOP. Market took back some of my profits.

ReynardMuldrake 05-16-2024 11:15 AM

I just noticed my IRA has been quietly killing it this year. Up nearly 50% since Nov 1.

Rain Man 05-16-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 17522001)
I just noticed my IRA has been quietly killing it this year. Up nearly 50% since Nov 1.

Wow. What are you in?

ReynardMuldrake 05-16-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17522007)
Wow. What are you in?

These are my six largest positions.
https://imgur.com/HZjNm1T.jpg

Rain Man 05-19-2024 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 17522023)

Impressive. I'm into the top three, but I've never heard of SNPS or ASML.

lewdog 05-19-2024 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 17522023)

Rolling deep! Nice job!

Buehler445 05-19-2024 08:58 PM

GameStop is issuing 45M new shares on the meme rally. Those mother****ers are genius.

Rain Man 05-19-2024 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17525850)
GameStop is issuing 45M new shares on the meme rally. Those mother****ers are genius.

Yeah, that's pretty funny how the meme stocks keep doing that. Life is good for them.

ReynardMuldrake 05-20-2024 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17525659)
Impressive. I'm into the top three, but I've never heard of SNPS or ASML.

Basically all are part of the semiconductor food chain, from design to fabrication. It's a way to diversify a little but stay in the same sector.

Buehler445 05-22-2024 06:32 AM

I thought this was an interesting tidbit. Dude makes a case for a .com-esque AI bubble.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VgGWaESP06g?si=4bN56mEl6YUTKm2q" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The interesting thing to me was that the Alphabet, Amazon and Microsoft reported an increase of 20B in revenue from AI that accounted for 2.5T in additional market valuation. That is a 120X multiple.

This dude lived through and was wrecked by (according to him) the .com bubble. It's an interesting perspective to listen to.

That would affect me as a proponent of S&P 500 investing.

scho63 05-22-2024 01:58 PM

The NVDA earnings report in 20 minutes is the most anticipated earnings report I have seen in a long time.

rydogg58 05-22-2024 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17528233)
The NVDA earnings report in 20 minutes is the most anticipated earnings report I have seen in a long time.

You playing anything on this earnings report? I'm surprised it hasn't moved much all day.

Rain Man 05-22-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17527697)
I thought this was an interesting tidbit. Dude makes a case for a .com-esque AI bubble.

Just in case it's a bubble I've reserved a spot on a high ledge downtown.

I'm loving AI these days. If the robots eventually kill me, it may still be worth it for the investment returns.

scho63 05-22-2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg58 (Post 17528263)
You playing anything on this earnings report? I'm surprised it hasn't moved much all day.

I did not as the market had sky high premiums on options for tomorrow and Friday

philfree 05-22-2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17528383)
Just in case it's a bubble I've reserved a spot on a high ledge downtown.

I'm loving AI these days. If the robots eventually kill me, it may still be worth it for the investment returns.

All these people investing in things that will lead to the demise of mankind.

ReynardMuldrake 05-22-2024 09:10 PM

NVDA just broke $1000 after hours. And there's another split coming!

Rain Man 05-22-2024 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 17528421)
All these people investing in things that will lead to the demise of mankind.

Or maybe investing in the rise of mankind to an interstellar civilization that uncovers the secrets of the universe and maybe, just maybe, then transcends collectively into an omnipotent being that creates its own new universe.

I have a long-term time horizon.

philfree 05-23-2024 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17528666)
Or maybe investing in the rise of mankind to an interstellar civilization that uncovers the secrets of the universe and maybe, just maybe, then transcends collectively into an omnipotent being that creates its own new universe.

I have a long-term time horizon.

Or probably not. Maybe you'll be able to enjoy your narrative life delivered by your Neuralink?

Shiver Me Timbers 05-23-2024 09:45 AM

Antonio could use y'alls help

Ex-NFL star Antonio Brown files for bankruptcy, allegedly owes nearly $3 million to creditors, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...rs-per-report/

Rain Man 05-23-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers (Post 17528878)
Ex-NFL star Antonio Brown files for bankruptcy, allegedly owes nearly $3 million to creditors, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...rs-per-report/

Well, there's a shocker.

Rain Man 05-23-2024 03:55 PM

Man, I thought I was going to get rich today with the NVDA supernova. It was gorgeous and beautiful, but the rest of the market tanked so bad that I ended up the day down by a pretty big amount.

Rain Man 05-29-2024 01:07 PM

ANF has now rocketed its way up into my top five or six holdings overall. It was up 274 percent last year and is up another 110 percent so far this year. It's a hero of the realm.

RockChalk 05-30-2024 06:09 AM

Anyone got any "quick hitter" stocks they like right now? I've got what I call "a **** around and find out" fund outside of my retirement / other investments. Timed the stupid AMC meme stock just right a few weeks ago and made a quick $2.5K. So that money is just sitting and I'm looking for something else to put my gain into.

rydogg58 05-30-2024 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 17534796)
Anyone got any "quick hitter" stocks they like right now? I've got what I call "a **** around and find out" fund outside of my retirement / other investments. Timed the stupid AMC meme stock just right a few weeks ago and made a quick $2.5K. So that money is just sitting and I'm looking for something else to put my gain into.

Try your luck on earnings beats or misses. Costco and Dell are the big ones today. Dell looks like it might beat, and rumors of Costco stock split on the table.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-30-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 17534796)

Find a stock with high volatility and learn the channel it trades in. I play TSLL mostly making several trades weekly. I'm up 36% for the month of May making 2.5-3% gains at a time

If you don't want to swing trade I'd consider hitting NVDA . June 10th is the 10:1 split.

Chazno 06-02-2024 10:32 PM

DFV posted his GME position on Reddit. In the last three years he has increased his position from 800 k shares to 5 million. He is also sitting on 120k ITM contracts expiring 6/21. Going to be crazy tomorrow.

Stanley Nickels 06-03-2024 06:34 AM

Up 50% overnight on GME, hoping to sell about 5 min after opening. It's too predictable at this point.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-04-2024 02:18 PM

I saw this company advertising on CNBC this morning with a Liver cancer treatment in phase III clinical. Might be a shot to get in early here. Ticker is CANF

https://www.canfite.com/category/Namodenoson

Bought 3 shares to keep an eye out

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-04-2024 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 17539282)
Up 50% overnight on GME, hoping to sell about 5 min after opening. It's too predictable at this point.

Did you bank?

DaFace 06-07-2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 17539282)

Hope you got out quick.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-14-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 17540813)
I saw this company advertising on CNBC this morning with a Liver cancer treatment in phase III clinical. Might be a shot to get in early here. Ticker is CANF

https://www.canfite.com/category/Namodenoson

Bought 3 shares to keep an eye out

Up 77% since this post

Rain Man 06-20-2024 12:10 PM

On the subject of health care, GILD just announced a 100% effective HIV vaccine. I've had this stock for a while and it's basically been flat for several years, but with a dividend that beats inflation so I'm okay with flat. They lost steam several years back because they came up with a cure for hepatitis, which cut their growth prospects. This might jump-start them back up.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gilea...140420191.html

Oh, apparently it's not a vaccine. It's a "prevention drug". I don't know how that's different, other than maybe a "prevention drug" requires regular doses, which is probably good for revenues.