ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

GloucesterChief 06-19-2014 05:59 PM

So, from what little we know of Braavos it seems to be patterned off of Venice\Northern Italian city states. Be interesting to see what Arya does there.

Buehler445 06-19-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10703402)
So, from what little we know of Braavos it seems to be patterned off of Venice\Northern Italian city states. Be interesting to see what Arya does there.

I think her intention is to join the faceless assassins or whatever the "a man" was.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10703177)
We've done a pretty good job over the years in this thread of only talking about the show in terms of what's already been seen onscreen. Naming characters that so far have only been mentioned in passing (if at all) as major players for next year might be going a little further than we want here. Seems like more of a spoiler thread kind of thing. Not that I think it's a huge deal - it's more about keeping it from snowballing into more.

(I know speaking just for myself, I've been very careful about posting articles from EW and other places in here. They can give away more than they intend...)

I agree with this.

Bowser 06-19-2014 07:48 PM

ThaVirus 06-19-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10703587)

OMG!

BigRedChief 06-19-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10703587)

Spoiler free zone dude. GEEEZZ
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VioKqtOxm6...+not+sleep.gif

WilliamTheIrish 06-20-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10703177)
We've done a pretty good job over the years in this thread of only talking about the show in terms of what's already been seen onscreen. Naming characters that so far have only been mentioned in passing (if at all) as major players for next year might be going a little further than we want here. Seems like more of a spoiler thread kind of thing. Not that I think it's a huge deal - it's more about keeping it from snowballing into more.

(I know speaking just for myself, I've been very careful about posting articles from EW and other places in here. They can give away more than they intend...)

This has been a great thread and needs to remain spoiler/speculation free. Although there has been speculation about the direction of twists, the discussion of characters not introduced ****s this thread up IMO.

As far as internet speculation, just post the link with a short description so those folks who aren't interested in having ANY spoilers can continue in the thread.

This is similar to the a True Detective thread where reddidiots posted every innocuous and ridiculous picture in an attempt to tie in plot twists that never existed.

KC_Connection 06-20-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10703096)
I agree with all of that, and I tend to err wildly on the side of caution and leave each reader to make their own decisions.

You are quite correct in saying that book readers don't KNOW the answer to this, and thus it is not any more spoiler-y for us than for viewers, but book readers have far more of a basis to engage in that speculation.

Funny thing this. I just started watching the series again from the beginning and I've now started believing the same thing myself after finishing the first 2 episodes. Many details about that situation never did add up (so much so that I even asked a vague question about it here a few months back). When searching for that post just now, I found the multiple posts with spoiler tags from yesterday that dealt with it (I avoided them myself earlier, but apparently they aren't blocked on searches, which is probably another reason to limit spoiler tag usage in this thread as much as possible). Anyway, I suspect you're right that book readers have more of a basis to speculate on that topic, but it seems to me that there are a few hints dropped throughout the show too.

mdchiefsfan 06-20-2014 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10695593)
I get the urge to do it after every season ends. After S1, I even read the 1st book. But that urge eventually passes. I always figure that with the TV series being so good, why risk ruining that experience at all? And it's also not like reading all the books will get you any closer to a conclusion as there are still books left to come.

This. I caved and stormed through books 1-3 in between seasons 2 and 3. Then while watching season 3 I finished books 4 and 5. Because of my lack of patience I sit with nowhere to go in this story and am left with many questions. That asshole needs to finish book 6 already!! If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy the ride.

But to those who are saying reading the books would decrease enjoyment from the show, I say not really. There are some subtle differences in the two that make the show enjoyable to the book readers. They even drop little Easter eggs in there that only a book reader would get. For example: when little finger was telling Sansa about people dying, he said something along the lines of " men even die while sitting on their chamber pots" an obvious nod towards what was about to occur to Tywin. It gave me a bit of a chuckle.

keg in kc 06-20-2014 05:51 AM

I think the only way that reading the books decreases enjoyment is that basically nothing will surprise you. Any changes they made for TV have so far been cosmetic. Filler, for lack of a better word (specifically thinking of Locke and the extra stuff north of the wall early in the last season, as well as Brianne's current arc). It doesn't actually change anything that happens in any real way, just changes a little bit in terms of how.

Kidd Lex 06-20-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10703196)
Not embedding here, but these guys recap every ep, and it's cray hilare!!!

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/29221ac323" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:640px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/29221ac323/gay-of-thrones-s4-ep-10-future-legendary-children" title="from Funny Or Die, Jonathan Van Ness, Erin Gibson, Jeffery Self, mattmazany, Ross Buran, George R.R. Martin, Becca Scheuer, Jack Allison, Andy Bush, and keganswyers">Gay of Thrones S4 EP ​10​: Future Legendary Children</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/funnyordie">Funny Or Die</a> <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&amp;href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2F29221ac323%2Fgay-of-thrones-s4-ep-10-future-legendary-children&amp;send=false&amp;layout=button_count&amp;width=150&amp;show_faces=false&amp;action=like&a mp;height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
</div>

Omg girl LMAOLMAO

Hawk 06-20-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10703900)
I think the only way that reading the books decreases enjoyment is that basically nothing will surprise you. Any changes they made for TV have so far been cosmetic. Filler, for lack of a better word (specifically thinking of Locke and the extra stuff north of the wall early in the last season, as well as Brianne's current arc). It doesn't actually change anything that happens in any real way, just changes a little bit in terms of how.

The books and the show are different enough at this point that both are entertaining in their own right and fans would do well to experience both in whatever order they prefer. This is especially true starting with book 3 (Storm of Swords) which has been covered over the last two seasons. Seasons 1 and 2 were closer to books 1 and 2, but the show has diverged a lot from book 3 in the last two seasons.

Some things are better on the show. Tyrion's trial, the fight between the Hound and Brienne which I loved, but which was not in the books at all, etc., but some things are better in the books. For example, they changed Jon's story from book 3 in a LOT of ways, and I thought the book version was better.

To all fans of the show, I would say that it would be well worth it to read book 3, it is a great book. I'd recommend reading them all, but if you wanted to start with book 3, you could get away with that. It would be much harder to try to dive into books 4 and 5 just off watching the show to this point. Book 3 is the latest place you could start and have it still make sense to you what is happening (though there are still a few differences that might be confusing at the beginning of book 3 which I'd be happy to explain if requested by anyone who wants to start with reading book 3 without reading books 1 and 2).

I think show fans would enjoy book 3 a great deal, and there would be a few nice payoffs as there are some things with certain characters that the show has skipped over for some reason, and there are two events at the end of book 3 that have not been covered on the show yet (one of which may be written out of the show completely) which I think would provide a nice payoff for reading through it.

Just my two cents.

Baby Lee 06-21-2014 03:07 PM

Realizing there is no GoT this week is one thing, realizing that that means True Blood takes it's place is another level of suck.

KcMizzou 06-21-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10707121)
Realizing there is no GoT this week is one thing, realizing that that means True Blood takes it's place is another level of suck.

LMAO Seriously.

keg in kc 06-21-2014 06:15 PM

I can't believe I actually made it through 2 seasons of true blood.