ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

Saul Good 04-03-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8515330)
Remember the narrative: "its all about football". Big XII trumps ACC both in prestige and money, that's why Louisville wants the Big XII. The basketball program is already the most valuable in college.

Louisville would gladly jump into the Big XII or the ACC in a heartbeat. There's no way the ACC would consider them, though.

Saul Good 04-03-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8515339)
I think the Big XII comes out well in that scenario. And, it seems to run counter to the "its all about football". If UNC-Duke leave, the best ACC football programs will rush to the Big XII. FSU, Clemson, G Tech, VA Tech, NC ST, and then throw in Louisville, allows the Big XII to compete in SEC markets.

I agree that the Big XII would be in great shape there, but I don't see how that undercuts the importance of football.

Every one of those schools that you listed (other than VA Tech) has an inferior football program that their in-state counterpart in the SEC.

Losing 2 great basketball schools to a football conference would underscore the fact that football is what makes a conference powerful. Otherwise, the Big East would rule.

Bambi 04-03-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8515271)
So you think the Big XII is just perfectly content being the 5th best conference?

What are they the 5th best conference in?

There are good teams in things and bad teams in things. Conferences don't compete against each other. They are a means for scheduling.

HolyHandgernade 04-03-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8515357)
I agree that the Big XII would be in great shape there, but I don't see how that undercuts the importance of football.

Every one of those schools that you listed (other than VA Tech) has an inferior football program that their in-state counterpart in the SEC.

Losing 2 great basketball schools to a football conference would underscore the fact that football is what makes a conference powerful. Otherwise, the Big East would rule.

That was in reference to your statement/belief that they would threaten UNC-Duke by taking VA Tech and NC St if they didn't join. That's not a football move.

I agree that the ACC schools in SEC country are inferior, but they offer certain advantages as well. GTech is in Atlanta, FSU certainly has its own history, Clemson, I would argue is just as good, if not better, than SC. You don't have to claim superiority in that area, you just have to claim some of the market share. There are fans in those states who will watch both their SEC and Big XII teams.

If they match up, sure, most will root SEC, but in the TV market game, you're just looking to steal a share. As the sun travels west, hard core fans will be watching just as much Big XII as they will SEC.

Trevo_410 04-03-2012 02:31 PM

NC State & VaTech > UNC & Duke

Bambi 04-03-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8515412)

ROFL

Ceej 04-03-2012 02:37 PM

Man, it still hasn't hit me that there's going to be a lot of different matchups/conference games come this fall.

Not sure how long it'll take me to get accustomed to all the new changes.

Saul Good 04-03-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8515372)
What are they the 5th best conference in?

There are good teams in things and bad teams in things. Conferences don't compete against each other. They are a means for scheduling.

Conferences absolutely compete against each other. They compete for television contracts and sponsors and even members.

There are 3 mega-conferences.

After that, there's the ACC, the Big XII, and the Big East (in that order).

You can debate whether or not the 4 superconference structure is coming, but things are inching that direction. The SEC, B1G, and PAC have all expanded by poaching teams from the XII. The ACC is expanding by poaching teams from the Big East. The XII has hedged some of it's losses from the Big East. These are facts.

The Big East is on life support. Their days as a power conference are numbered.

The SEC, PAC, and B1G are more powerful than ever and all have room to expand if the right opportunity presents itself.

The ACC has expanded.

The Big XII has shrunk.

At the moment, the Big XII is the 5th most powerful conference. This also makes them the second most vulnerable major conference.

Saul Good 04-03-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8515412)

No way. Adding UNC and Duke would turn the SEC into it's own little fiefdom. It could potentially be terrible for college sports as a whole.

Bambi 04-03-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8515441)
Conferences absolutely compete against each other. They compete for television contracts and sponsors and even members.

There are 3 mega-conferences.

After that, there's the ACC, the Big XII, and the Big East (in that order).

You can debate whether or not the 4 superconference structure is coming, but things are inching that direction. The SEC, B1G, and PAC have all expanded by poaching teams from the XII. The ACC is expanding by poaching teams from the Big East. The XII has hedged some of it's losses from the Big East. These are facts.

The Big East is on life support. Their days as a power conference are numbered.

The SEC, PAC, and B1G are more powerful than ever and all have room to expand if the right opportunity presents itself.

The ACC has expanded.

The Big XII has shrunk.

At the moment, the Big XII is the 5th most powerful conference. This also makes them the second most vulnerable major conference.

The teams that left the Big 12 left because they wanted to leave. Top heavy conferences have this problem.

The conference is firmly entrenched with championship level athletics and an unrivaled TV contract when it comes to per school payout.

The Big 12 does what it wants. There are numerous teams banging on the door to try and get a piece of what the Big 12 has. But why would you split with more teams when your TV contract is already maxed out?

The logistics of corporate bowl tie ins are so complex that you will never have a playoff system in college football like they do at the FCS level. What schools need to do is start showing some pride in their history and stop hanging their brethren out to dry ala what Syracuse and WVU have done.

Saul Good 04-03-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8515467)
The teams that left the Big 12 left because they wanted to leave.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Titty Meat 04-03-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8514595)
I think ArrowheadMagic once got raped by a guy wearing an MU shirt, and he's simultaneously scarred by the event but also hurt that he never got a follow-up phone call.

His hate for MU comes from being a KU fan but he quickly left ship after Turners first year and the loss to VCU.

Bambi 04-03-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8515490)
Thanks Captain Obvious.

You used the term "poached".

They weren't poached. They contacted other conferences to try and join.

Conferences contacting member institutions would be illegal from what I understand.

tredadda 04-03-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8515131)
The ACC is showing some signs of a possible fracture. Michigan and tOSU are in a supremely stable conference with a massive television contract and a massive research grant.

North Carolina and Duke are in a conference vying with 2 others for a single seat at the grownups table. If the rest of their conference really is sick of dealing with them, the ACC could start to look like the XII did a year ago.

UNC and Duke are in a conference that poached two of the elite schools in the Big East. Their conference is stable. They won't leave their golden position to go to the SEC where football is king (which both are relatively weak in). They could easily schedule UK without having to go to the basketball weak SEC to do that.

Saul Good 04-11-2012 03:05 PM

Rumors abound that the Big XII wants to get back to 12 teams this summer.

Sounds like Louisville and either BYU or Rutgers are the targets. Also hearing that they are trying to get FSU, Clemson, or both.

Titty Meat 04-11-2012 03:07 PM

Why would Clemson or FSU leave the ACC?

Saul Good 04-11-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8533918)

They wouldn't unless maybe the Duke\UNC rumors have legs, I guess.

Titty Meat 04-11-2012 03:27 PM

What are the Duke UNC rumors?

Nevermind just read it.

kstater 04-11-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

ACC won't get near the deal the Big 12 is about to get.

Saul Good 04-11-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8534282)
ACC won't get near the deal the Big 12 is about to get.

I can't imagine them leaving over the difference in deals. Now, if there are other things going on, the money would sweeten the pot.

Saul Good 04-11-2012 05:07 PM

Kind of weird that next year, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri will be in 4 different conferences.

qabbaan 04-11-2012 05:09 PM

Clemson and FSU belong in the SEC, IMO. Too good of football schools to have to end up way out west in the B12(?)

Saul Good 04-11-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8534292)
Clemson and FSU belong in the SEC, IMO. Too good of football schools to have to end up way out west in the B12(?)

Will never happen.

Braincase 04-11-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8534292)

That would make 4 teams with Tiger mascots. Wouldn't that be a bit on the silly side?

HolyHandgernade 04-11-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

There's also unrest from the football schools that the ACC is too basketball centric when football is dominating the market. Would rather see some combination of these for 14-16:

Louisville
Pitt
V Tech
NC St
Clemson
FSU
G Tech

Don't want BYU and really think Rutgers is pushing the bounds without more schools in that area.

DaKCMan AP 04-13-2012 03:19 PM

Vintage Spurrier:

Quote:

His thoughts on the Georgia-South Carolina game moving from the second week of the season to the sixth week in 2012.

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”
LMAO

Quote:

His thoughts on Nick Saban and what he’s done at Alabama.

“He’s got a nice little gig going, a little bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you’re going to be a first-round pick and go.’ If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they’ve always won there at Alabama.”
http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.ph...spn-interview/

Pitt Gorilla 04-16-2012 03:55 PM

Awesome. SEC.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7815808&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

OmahaChief 04-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8546474)
Awesome. SEC.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7815808&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Total class by Trent. I wish nothing but the best for him and his mother, as well as Courtney, as they battle cancer. I am a sucker for stories like this as it is great to see the best part fo humans take center stage.

Saul Good 04-16-2012 04:21 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...attered-mishap

KcMizzou 04-16-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8546474)
Awesome. SEC.

That was really cool.

KcMizzou 04-16-2012 06:32 PM

Wasn't real sure where to put this. At first I was worried Truman the Tiger was at it again.

Quote:

Alabama's $30K BCS trophy shattered

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- A piece of history from the University of Alabama's championship run was shattered on Saturday afternoon following the Crimson Tide's annual A-Day scrimmage.

The Coaches' Trophy from this season's BCS national title was accidentally knocked off its podium and shattered by a player's father whose foot got caught on a rug that sits beneath the trophy display. The Waterford Crystal trophy was on display in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility halls, home to coach Nick Saban's office and other athletic personnel.

The handmade trophy sculpted in Ireland is valued at $30,000. The university previously had two such trophies, one at the Paul W. Bryant Museum and the other at the athletic facility. A university spokesman confirmed that they will immediately begin the process of replacing the trophy.

The crystal football has been a fragile piece in recent years. In 2008, Florida had its broken when then-recruit Orson Charles fumbled the ball away. In 2004, Florida State had a pair of trophies stolen from a glass case outside of Bobby Bowden's office during renovation of the building.

Charlie Green, trophy manager for the American Football Coaches Association, said he uses adhesive tape to secure the ball when it's toured around the country and advises universities to take the same precautions when displaying it.

"It's pretty fragile, I guess," Green said. "It only weighs about eight pounds so I can see where if it gets bumped it would roll off."

qabbaan 04-16-2012 07:23 PM

Mizzou put out a press release today saying there is now a waiting list for football season tickets.

In addition they unveiled their new football uniforms:

http://www.mutigers.com/genrel/12-uniform-gallery.html

baitism 04-16-2012 10:06 PM

New uniforms are really nice. I nice facelift without going the crazy Oregon route.

Bambi 04-17-2012 01:50 PM

lol,

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptu...s/AM_Shirt.png

Dr. Gigglepants 04-17-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8548663)

They are, however, new to geography it would appear. Oh well, SEC!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good 04-17-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8548723)
Posted via Mobile Device

...says the guy whose team is one of 10 members in the Big XII.

Bambi 04-17-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8548723)
Posted via Mobile Device

No Missouri, include North Carolina..... hilarious

Dr. Gigglepants 04-17-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8548767)
No Missouri, include North Carolina..... hilarious

You would think TX would have at least made the cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Gigglepants 04-17-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8548748)
...says the guy whose team is one of 10 members in the Big XII.

Me or Wicked? I'm a Mizzou guy, the RG3 avy was put up on the one day I had hopes of the chiefs getting him. Probably need to change that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi 04-17-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8548789)
You would think TX would have at least made the cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Texas is on the back. At least that's the word on the street.

NewChief 04-17-2012 02:37 PM

Awesome Aggies (sorry if rp).

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/201...w-sec-t-shirt/
Quote:

Aggies live up to old SWC reputation with new SEC t-shirt
By Dustin Bartholomew, Flyer staff
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 · Leave a comment

Texas A&M ‘SEC’ t-shirt with North Carolina.
Aggieland Outfitters
For years, the Texas A&M Aggies were the butt of jokes by fans of pretty much every school in the now defunct Southwest Conference (SWC).

Now, as Texas A&M prepares for its first season as a member of the expanded Southeastern Conference (SEC), some “Aggies” are living up to their old SWC reputation.

As CNBC Sports anchor Darren Rovell pointed out, a t-shirt, produced by Aggieland Outfitters which touts the move to the SEC, includes a hilarious mistake.

The t-shirt, which reads “We may be new to the conference, but we aren’t new to the game,” includes outlines of the states from the pre-expansion SEC…with one small problem. It includes the state of North Carolina, which does not have an SEC school.

Admittedly, the mistake wouldn’t even be that funny if it weren’t made by an Aggie company.

Since then, Aggieland Outfitters has issued an apology.
http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/wp-.../04/tshirt.jpg

Bambi 04-17-2012 02:38 PM

They're new to football too. Just look at their bowl record.

Saul Good 04-17-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8548886)
They're new to football too. Just look at their bowl record.

They've won more bowls than Kansas has played in.

Bambi 04-17-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8548924)
They've won more bowls than Kansas has played in.

And Kansas has a better win percentage.

And isn't out making T shirts. lol

duncan_idaho 04-17-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8548952)

So by this reasoning...

A team that has played in one bowl game and won it (even, say, a little crappy one) has a better bowl history than one that has played in 60 and has a less-than-perfect record?

Saul Good 04-17-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8548952)

Texas A&M has a national title, 18 conference titles, a Heisman winner, and has played in 33 bowl games winning 14 of them.

Kansas is 6-6 in bowl games (and 2-9 against aTm). Congratulations, Wickedson, on once again finding an obscure metric within which KU has an advantage against an otherwise vastly superior program.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-17-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8549004)
Texas A&M has a national title, 18 conference titles, a Heisman winner, and has played in 33 bowl games winning 14 of them.

Kansas is 6-6 in bowl games (and 2-9 against aTm). Congratulations, Wickedson, on one again finding an obscure metric within which KU has an advantage against versus an otherwise vastly superior program.

What about Fruit Bowls played in the BCS era? That seems to be his criteria.

Bambi 04-17-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8549004)

Kansas is 6-6 in bowl games (and 2-9 against aTm). Congratulations, Wickedson, on once again finding an obscure metric within which KU has an advantage against an otherwise vastly superior program.

WTF are you talking about? I never brought up Kansas.

You did. Again....

Saul Good 04-17-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8548989)
So by this reasoning...

A team that has played in one bowl game and won it (even, say, a little crappy one) has a better bowl history than one that has played in 60 and has a less-than-perfect record?

Yep. Louisiana Lafayette had a better season than LSU because they outdueled SDSU in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. Hell, Kansas did as well since they didn't hurt their bowl winning percentage.

Bambi 04-17-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8549009)
What about Fruit Bowls played in the BCS era? That seems to be his criteria.

KU has more BCS wins than A&M?

Shit man, I didn't even realize that.

Bambi 04-17-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8548989)
So by this reasoning...

I said Kansas isn't making T Shirts. Kansas knows football isn't it's strong point.

It's really not a big deal. Kansas has what it has.

Titty Meat 04-17-2012 03:36 PM

Gotta love the new conference just got the best kid in the state coming to the basketball team for the first time in about 10 years and a 5* star visited. This never would have happened with Sadler who could win just enough games in the old shitty conference.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-17-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8549089)
Gotta love the new conference just got the best kid in the state coming to the basketball team for the first time in about 10 years and a 5* star visited. This never would have happened with Sadler who could win just enough games in the old shitty conference.

It is cool moving on to greener pastures and watching the recruits roll in.

Titty Meat 04-17-2012 03:42 PM

It really is. It's also kinda funny how easy it is to be successful in basketball I mean just hire an assistant with AAU ties who can bring talent in and your team should make the tournament.

Bambi 04-17-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8549102)
It really is. It's also kinda funny how easy it is to be successful in basketball I mean just hire an assistant with AAU ties who can bring talent in and your team should make the tournament.

baby steps

Saul Good 04-17-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8549132)
baby steps

Yep. They'll be hiring parents in no time.

Pitt Gorilla 04-20-2012 05:38 PM

I highly recommend this article/video:

Video: Charlie Weis thinks Kansas needs to work on its celebrations

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...135041036.html

Saul Good 04-20-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8556072)

That's not even funny. It's just cringe-inducing...like watching a stand-up comedian bomb.

Trevo_410 04-20-2012 07:20 PM

ten bucks they do that shit everytime they score a field goal...

http://www.mancavesports.org/wp-cont...u-football.jpg

Saulbadguy 04-20-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8556072)

He's preparing them for the type of crowds Kansas is expecting. Good strategy.

Braincase 04-20-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8556272)
He's preparing them for the type of crowds Kansas is expecting. Good strategy.

The good news is Coach Weis has decided to remain faithful to his wife and remain true to his wedding vows.

I guess having affairs is more of an SEC thing.

KcMizzou 04-20-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8556481)
The good news is Coach Weis has decided to remain faithful to his wife and remain true to his wedding vows.

LMAO Wow.

Braincase 04-20-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8556533)
LMAO Wow.

What? Petrino is old news now?

baitism 04-20-2012 09:21 PM

Weis is more attracted to the buffet than his wife. Same for her.

Braincase 04-20-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 8556599)
Weis is more attracted to the buffet than his wife. Same for her.

He'll be here all week folks. Always the best comedy here at the Auschwitz Improv.

DeezNutz 04-20-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-21-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

ROFL

Saul Good 04-21-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

When I think Charlie Weis, I think loyalty. That guy would never leave anyone in the lurch.

Al Bundy 04-21-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Question is.. does Weis own a hog?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-21-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8557113)
Question is.. does Weis own a hog?

No, but he can consume one in one sitting.

Rascals aren't really a panty dropper.

Messier 04-21-2012 07:20 AM

Charlie Weis is fat.

Al Bundy 04-21-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8557117)
Charlie Weis is fat.

Charlie Weis is also a pompous ass with questionable character.

Messier 04-21-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8557124)
Charlie Weis is also a pompous ass with questionable character.

But mainly fat.

Al Bundy 04-21-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8557127)
But mainly fat.

That doesn't concern me.

Messier 04-21-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8557130)
That doesn't concern me.

What does concern you about Wies? His blood pressure?

Al Bundy 04-21-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8557133)
What does concern you about Wies? His blood pressure?

Well actually I am glad he is not the head coach of the team I support... so he doesn't "concern" me.

Messier 04-21-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8557135)
Well actually I am glad he is not the head coach of the team I support... so he doesn't "concern" me.

Most wouldn't. For KU fans Weis is Bear Bryant compared to Gill.

Braincase 04-21-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8557107)
When I think Charlie Weis, I think loyalty. That guy would never leave anyone in the lurch.

Only place I can think of that Charlie left without talking to his superiors or being let go is Kansas City, and that's really tragic, because I'm sure Todd Haley was such a great manager of people.

patteeu 04-21-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8557139)
Most wouldn't. For KU fans Weis is Bear Bryant compared to Gill.

And he's Calista Flockhart compared to Mark Mangino, fwiw.

Saul Good 04-21-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8557144)
Only place I can think of that Charlie left without talking to his superiors or being let go is Kansas City, and that's really tragic, because I'm sure Todd Haley was such a great manager of people.

So Weis couldn't have stuck it out for the playoffs?

Either way, Weis has walked out on as many teams as he's had success with.

Patriots: Success
Notre Dame: Fail
Kansas City: Fail
Florida: Fail