ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books COMIC BOOK PEOPLE (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277123)

The Franchise 07-15-2015 12:13 PM

Any recommended series or graphic novels to pick up?

Bowser 08-15-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 11579227)
I have a feeling the new Secret Wars series will be much better when read as a single story, all at once, instead of the usual comics' read-one-wait-a-month installment plan. I'm also hoping that it's still doing the Act One setup, because there isn't much happening right now except exposition.

Any new opinions on this take from anyone? I really, really want to like Secret Wars, but it just isn't appealing to me. I might just drop it at this point.

That said, the Owen Reece angle was interesting. Essential really, looking back on how the story has evolved so far.

big nasty kcnut 08-15-2015 10:28 PM

The flash is a great read and loving justice league. justice league united is strange to me.

Jamie 08-15-2015 10:31 PM

I think Secret Wars is a good culmination to Hickman's Avengers run (and to some extent, everything he's written for Marvel), but not a great event miniseries. And the tie-ins seem largely pointless.

DaveNull 08-16-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 11662795)
I think Secret Wars is a good culmination to Hickman's Avengers run (and to some extent, everything he's written for Marvel), but not a great event miniseries. And the tie-ins seem largely pointless.

I'm right there with you. I've been trying to keep up on a few of the tie-ins (ultimate end, old man logan) but overall they're not as "tied in" as the cross overs from last summer's Original Sin.

The cross overs I've enjoyed the most are Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars and Giant Size Little Marvel.

Rausch 08-16-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11663084)
I'm right there with you. I've been trying to keep up on a few of the tie-ins (ultimate end, old man logan) but overall they're not as "tied in" as the cross overs from last summer's Original Sin.

The cross overs I've enjoyed the most are Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars and Giant Size Little Marvel.

Old Man Logan, Ultimate End, and Future imperfect are the best tie-in books.

Seige would make the list but the art is so bad it really distracts from the (mostly solid) story...

salame 10-05-2015 09:39 PM

anyone reading anything new/newish?

I've been reading Nailbiter in TPB it's pretty........interesting
disappointed in the major delays in secret wars for sure

DaveNull 10-06-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 11778442)
anyone reading anything new/newish?

I've been reading Nailbiter in TPB it's pretty........interesting
disappointed in the major delays in secret wars for sure

Nailbiter is great. The delays of/mess created by Secret Wars has put me off comics recently.

We Stand On Guard (written by Brian K Vaughn of Saga and Y: The Last Man) is pretty good.

Aries Walker 10-10-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11780303)
Nailbiter is great. The delays of/mess created by Secret Wars has put me off comics recently.

You and me both. I'm basically circling the runway until Secret Wars is all done, and then I'll read it all at once and see what new series might be worth picking up.

salame 10-11-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11780303)

We Stand On Guard (written by Brian K Vaughn of Saga and Y: The Last Man) is pretty good.

Did you check out Paper Girls the new Vaughn book?

Bowser 10-11-2015 10:16 PM

Secret Wars has been good as a story I guess, but it would appear that they save all the action sequences for the offshoot titles. Not much of anything action wise has happened in the main storyline (the T'Challa angle in the new issue does have promise, though).

You wait and watch - Molecule Man has been "saving" the old realities in some pocket universe with the power of the combined Beyonders, and will let it all lose when Doom pisses him off at some point. That or all the cosmic entities are hiding in that bright room with him, just biding their time when they and MM can strike.

salame 10-12-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11793802)
Secret Wars has been good as a story I guess, but it would appear that they save all the action sequences for the offshoot titles. Not much of anything action wise has happened in the main storyline (the T'Challa angle in the new issue does have promise, though).

You wait and watch - Molecule Man has been "saving" the old realities in some pocket universe with the power of the combined Beyonders, and will let it all lose when Doom pisses him off at some point. That or all the cosmic entities are hiding in that bright room with him, just biding their time when they and MM can strike.

I was a BIG fan of the T'challa angle
Also the Ben Grimm stuff

ThaVirus 10-19-2015 03:52 PM

COMIC BOOK PEOPLE

I just finished volumes 1 & 2 of Injustice: Gods Among Us, which are graphic novels inspired by the video games.

I don't want to give anything away, but I would highly recommend it. The art is fantastic and the storyline is pretty cool. It was great to see Batman being a badass dickhead and an unbound Superman.

Superman is so ****ing awesome when he's not holding back.

DaveNull 10-20-2015 03:05 PM

Yeah, I liked those a lot more than I thought I would. I second this recommendation.

DaveNull 10-23-2015 04:48 PM

Did a little traveling this week and got caught up on some stuff.

We Stand On Guard is awesome.
Reading Saga on an airplane is hard when you've got a nice little retiree lady doing crosswords next to you and you never know whether the next page will be a robot orgy or not.
The Civil War series from Secret Wars was actually really good. Didn't expect that.
The Star Wars Shattered Empire weekly is worth it.