ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The one thing we can look forward to: the league's best OL. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272750)

O.city 05-05-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660826)
just give him elite guard money and be done with it

I'd hate to do that, before he's even played a down at G in the NFL. I know he was good in college, but that would be a stretch.

-King- 05-05-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660817)
Just do this.

Albert was supposed to be an all-pro guard anyways.

**** it.

He was? Then why was he switched to tackle?

keg in kc 05-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9660863)
He was? Then why was he switched to tackle?

Some people believe that he played guard in college because Monroe was better, but the reality was that they had more tackles than they had starting spots, and Monroe could not play inside. Albert could. So basically UVA tried to get the best 5 linemen that they had on the field the best way that they were able. I think we should approach 2013 the same way. What improves the line the most, as a whole? Moving Albert inside and starting Fisher at LT, with who exactly on the right side, maybe an interior lineman moving out? Or keep Albert and Fisher both outside, and leave the guards on the roster inside? I know what my answer is.

BossChief 05-05-2013 10:48 PM

Allen and Stephenson are both tackles.

Based on last year, Allen was a failed tackle to guard conversion.

I think they need to put him at right tackle or sit him.

-King- 05-05-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9660878)

So is Albert. And he's 100% better tackle than they'll ever be so they should keep him there.

keg in kc 05-05-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9660878)

Based on last year, Allen was a failed tackle to guard conversion.

I think they need to put him at right tackle or sit him.

I don't see either of them as being in competition for starting spots either inside or outside.

BossChief 05-05-2013 10:56 PM

I think if Albert inks a long term deal, he should be given the LT spot because he has earned it...but if he is here on a 1 year deal ONLY, put him at guard and start Fisher at left tackle.

The OL is all about technique and cohesiveness and if Albert is gone after one year, Eric Fisher needs to handle the left tackle position...whoever is the long term answer at the position needs to be playing it from day one.

keg in kc 05-05-2013 10:59 PM

I'm thinking the Albert trade talk all along has been mostly about public negotiation (by the team) for a long-term deal. But who knows.

BossChief 05-05-2013 11:00 PM

Alex Smith should be comfortable behind that line (once they gel) and Jamaal Charles should challenge for the rushing record (average and yardage) for the foreseeable future...well, until he gets hurt.

penbrook 05-05-2013 11:09 PM

I believe Albert is flying to KC to sign the long term deal that his agent has agreed upon.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-05-2013 11:11 PM

If Smith can't produce behind this line, he should be yanked sooner rather than later. The rest of this team could actually build some momentum under the new staff, and giving Smith the "cassel golden safety net" would be a HUGE mistake for the productivity of anyone on this team who is not a rookie( did not live the nightmare ).
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 05-05-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9660911)
If Smith can't produce behind this line, he should be yanked sooner rather than later. The rest of this team could actually build some momentum under the new staff, and giving Smith the "cassel golden safety net" would be a HUGE mistake for the productivity of anyone on this team who is not a rookie( did not live the nightmare ).
Posted via Mobile Device

Who do they pull him for? Chase Daniel? There isn't anybody.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-05-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9660918)
Who do they pull him for? Chase Daniel? There isn't anybody.

Who you and I define as "nobody" doesn't matter in this instance. If our benevolent leaders have enough faith to hand the little ****er the keys to the number two spot, then absolutely throw his ass in the fire and see what cooks. They chose him, didn't they?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saccopoo 05-05-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9660807)
i think you're a damn fine poster with solid football takes

I just find it hilarious you have pined for a LT for years and years and then when we finally take one you are pissed because you wanted the guy who went 39th overall to the most dysfunctional organization in football

if Geno went 4th, or 7th, or 2nd or shit...even 10th I could see this

but he went 39th and every team that needed a QB passed on him twice

sorry

that's telling

It was dysfunctional. They fired Tannebaum, who was the one guy who was actually worse at his job than Peeholi was at his. He was truly horrendous and ruined a team that was in the AFC Championship game two years in a row just three years ago.

Geno has all the tools you look for in a potential franchise QB. Why he and the rest of the QB's slipped this year, I don't know. Barkley went in the fourth round this year and last year he was, without question, the third QB off the board behind Luck and Griffin. Matt Scott, the pre-draft darling of the mocksters, didn't even get picked and ended up as a UDFA.

Of the teams that "needed" QB's from an outsiders perspective, a lot of those made off-season moves like the Chiefs or decided to ride out their young QB's for another season (such as Jacksonville).

Sometimes a guy slips for whatever reason. Geno and Matt Barkley did and I think teams are going to end up regretting not taking them when the opportunity was there. There are 23 teams in the league that passed over Aaron Rogers and to a team, all of them would give their eye-teeth to have him on their roster now.

Alex Smith will be 29 in two days time. He's only completed two full seasons out of eight and is coming off a concussion injury this past season. He's a gutty, tough, smart QB, but one that isn't going to take the top off of a defense. And he's going to have to perform at a Pro Bowl level right off the bat if he's going to pay dividends for this team.

I get the Fisher pick. Load up with the best you can to help Alex Smith out up front and to open those lanes for Charles. Calculated, matriculating of the ball up and down the field. Both sides of the ball are built for such a game, but it needs to work right now. In that regard, Fisher is probably a better pick than Geno for that concept. How it plays out in the long run remains to be seen.

Mav 05-05-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9660921)
Who you and I define as "nobody" doesn't matter in this instance. If our benevolent leaders have enough faith to hand the little ****er the keys to the number two spot, then absolutely throw his ass in the fire and see what cooks. They chose him, didn't they?
Posted via Mobile Device

as long as the chiefs are winning, who gives a shit what his stats are. Wins are all that matter.