ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9203937)
It was E.T. crossed with Cloverfield, a crappy score and an unoriginal alien.

Since Cloverfield was garbage...

I think i enjoyed the kids and their relationships more than the actual alien. so yes, the alien was a bit of a letdown.

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9203941)
I thought it was cold, predictable and boring as ****.

HUGE disappointment.

Wow, didnt get that at all? Seymore-Hoffman made a great villian.

scorpio 12-13-2012 11:20 AM

Zachary Quinto slips up and says "Khan" at 1:01

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rN6-Fx6lrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204356)
I think i enjoyed the kids and their relationships more than the actual alien. so yes, the alien was a bit of a letdown.

I also loved Super 8 and MI:3 (and Cloverfield, for that matter). But I feel like this is the intrinsic difference of opinion when it comes down to people who like JJ and people who don't (or people who like Lost and people who don't).

It's not about the alien.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9204742)
Zachary Quinto slips up and says "Khan" at 1:01

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rN6-Fx6lrVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But he also says it when he means Nero. So does it mean anything?

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9204356)

The problem is that we've seen it before in E.T. except that in Super 8, it was boring and rehashed. There was nothing really original about the film and it was easy to guess what would happen next.

If you'd seen E.T., you've seen the best parts of Super 8 (which were still weak in comparison). If you've seen Independence Day, you've seen the alien.

The best part of the film, IMO, was the zombie sequence at the very end.

The rest was just blah.

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204782)
I also loved Super 8 and MI:3 (and Cloverfield, for that matter). But I feel like this is the intrinsic difference of opinion when it comes down to people who like JJ and people who don't (or people who like Lost and people who don't).

If you "loved" those movies (Cloverfield was complete shit. If it not for the single motion, jittery camera nonsense, no one would know the film), then we have absolutely no common ground in which to discuss these films.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9204866)
If you "loved" those movies, then we have absolutely no common ground in which to discuss these films.

You're just now realizing this?

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9204860)
The problem is that we've seen it before in E.T. except that in Super 8, it was boring and rehashed. There was nothing really original about the film and it was easy to guess what would happen next.

The film wasn't meant to be original. It was meant to be derivative. It was a celebration of nostalgia, an homage to all those movies that you've mentioned (and others, like Goonies) that came before. It was about being a kid again, and turning off the analytical brain and getting swept up, like a kid, in the adventure.

It captured those feelings, the spirit and essence of imagination and childhood adventure so perfectly.

DaneMcCloud 12-13-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204885)
The film wasn't meant to be original.

LMAO

Yes, we all know it was a money grab.

Just one more reason to hate JJ Abrams and his crew.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 01:13 PM

I missed you Dane.

keg in kc 12-13-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9204782)

I actually like JJ, because his production company brings interesting, off-the-wall genre things to TV that nobody else does. Maybe they aren't perfect, but it's not medical dramedy number 27 or legal drama 746 or police procedural 959 or reality show number 8427421.

As far as Super-8 goes, I enjoyed the movie up until about the last half hour. It just fell apart. It was eerily reminiscent of a Stephen King novel. Great set up, and I thought interesting characters, but man-oh-man they were so incredibly far off from sticking that landing.

Deberg_1990 12-13-2012 05:45 PM

Man, a lot of Abrams backlash in this thread....

I guess you guys are still pissed he's never made a "Felicity" movie for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 12-13-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9205905)
Man, a lot of Abrams backlash in this thread....

I guess you guys are still pissed he's never made a "Felicity" movie for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

what are you talking about. The majority of posters here are psyched for this movie. Only a very few are hating on Abrams. Hell I agree with them on some things too but as far as Star Trek goes, I can't friggin wait.

Red Brooklyn 12-13-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9205598)
I actually like JJ, because his production company brings interesting, off-the-wall genre things to TV that nobody else does. Maybe they aren't perfect, but it's not medical dramedy number 27 or legal drama 746 or police procedural 959 or reality show number 8427421.

Completely agree. And he's probably missed more than few times. I haven't seen everything he's produced. But in general, you're right. Hit the nail on the head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9205598)
As far as Super-8 goes, I enjoyed the movie up until about the last half hour. It just fell apart. It was eerily reminiscent of a Stephen King novel. Great set up, and I thought interesting characters, but man-oh-man they were so incredibly far off from sticking that landing.

I won't argue that. Honestly, I don't know if I even remember much of the ending beyond what happens after we see the alien.

Either way, the rest of the movie was charming and fun and endearing enough to me that I overlooked a lot of it. It just took me back, reminded me so much of the movies of my childhood.

I had a blast.