ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

irishjayhawk 05-12-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4747605)
Agree on all those. How about "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"?

I'm sorry but I hated Chinatown. And it goes against every grain of knowledge ever passed down in film classes.

Adept Havelock 05-12-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4747606)
I'm sorry but I hated Chinatown. And it goes against every grain of knowledge ever passed down in film classes.

Nothing to be sorry about. Everybody has their likes and dislikes. It works for me. Maybe it's because I've never taken a film class?

It's a cliche with some truth in my case..."I don't know art, but I know what I like".

Of course I'm one of those freaks that liked the end to 2001, so I know I'm a little off. :shrug:

Frazod 05-12-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4747605)
Agree on all those. How about "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."?

I know FMB will put a hit out on me when I admit to this, but I've never seen Chinatown. I know I should, but I just never got around to it.

Adept Havelock 05-12-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4747620)
I know FMB will put a hit out on me when I admit to this, but I've never seen Chinatown. I know I should, but I just never got around to it.

IMO, it's worth a rental though it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Just watched something that really impressed me. It was a made for HBO film called "Conspiracy". The script was almost entirely translated from the minutes of the Wannsee Conference. Kenneth Branagh plays Heydrich and Stanley Tucci is Eichmann. The whole film basically takes place around the conference table, and it is one of the most chilling things I've ever seen.

noa 05-13-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4747623)
IMO, it's worth a rental though it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Your wife got excited. She crossed her legs a little too quick. Do you understand what I mean, pal?

Adept Havelock 05-13-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 4747962)
Your wife got excited. She crossed her legs a little too quick. Do you understand what I mean, pal?

Most people never have to face the fact that, at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything.

DeepPurple 05-13-2008 12:01 PM

In 1979 I was walking through University Mall in Pensacola, Florida and a TV store had movie posters of "Chinatown" in the window.

This was at a time when only Sony Betamax VCR's were available, and they were expensive and were primary used to record from television since there was little or no theatrical films yet available.

I asked the man what's with the "Chinatown" poster, he said we've got the new RCA video-disc player for $499.00, you can play movies at home on your television. I said do you have "Chinatown"? He said yes, it's $24.99, I said I'll take one video player and one "Chinatown" video-disc.

DeepPurple 05-13-2008 12:13 PM

While I'm at it, here's my latest DVD ratings in order of rental:

Cloverfield - 9

Juno - 7

There Will be Blood - 9

Before the Devil Knows your Dead - 5

Lions for Lambs - 3

Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story - 7

I Am Legend - 8

The Mist - 8

Atonement - 6

American Gangster - 7

Michael Clayton - 8

30 Days of Night - 6

Gone Baby Gone - 8

Assassination of Jesse James - 9

-

Jenson71 05-13-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4747620)

It's neo-noir. . . the same vein as L.A. Confidential.

Chinatown is one of my favorites. Apologize, and do three Hail Marys and an Our Father for those who don't like it.

irishjayhawk 05-14-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 4748208)
While I'm at it, here's my latest DVD ratings in order of rental:

Cloverfield - 9

Juno - 7

There Will be Blood - 9

Before the Devil Knows your Dead - 5

Lions for Lambs - 3

Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story - 7

I Am Legend - 8

The Mist - 8

Atonement - 6

American Gangster - 7

Michael Clayton - 8

30 Days of Night - 6

Gone Baby Gone - 8

Assassination of Jesse James - 9

-

You didn't like Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? How come?

DaneMcCloud 05-14-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4747606)

How could you hate "Chinatown"?

It's based on a real character and real happenings. William Mulray based in part on the real William Mullholland, who designed waterways, reservoirs (like the one just behind my home - Lake Hollywood) and is responsible for the largest engineering tragedy in US history (a dam in Santa Clara he designed immediately broke and killed 450 people). The California Water Wars were real and that very same water led to the growth and population spurt of Southern California.

Throw in some intrigue, incest, Jack Nicholson and John Huston - what's not to like?

irishjayhawk 05-14-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4750136)

It's based on a real character and real happenings. William Mulray based in part on the real William Mullholland, who designed waterways, reservoirs (like the one just behind my home - Lake Hollywood) and is responsible for the largest engineering tragedy in US history (a dam in Santa Clara he designed immediately broke and killed 450 people). The California Water Wars were real and that very same water led to the growth and population spurt of Southern California.

Throw in some intrigue, incest, Jack Nicholson and John Huston - what's not to like?

Boring. As. Hell.

Lame dialogue. Lame pace (exceptionally slow). Lame acting outside Jack.

Adept Havelock 05-14-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4750136)

I was amused when I read that a script for a sequel (Cloverleaf) mutated into "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

DaneMcCloud 05-14-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4750139)
Boring. As. Hell.

Lame dialogue. Lame pace (exceptionally slow). Lame acting outside Jack.

But it was nominated for 14 Academy Awards and one for Best Screenplay.

I don't understand how you couldn't like it.

Baby Lee 05-14-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4750167)
But it was nominated for 14 Academy Awards and one for Best Screenplay.

I don't understand how you couldn't like it.

Yay! You liked the movie and it got a lot of awards

He didn't like the movie and found it to be a waste of time.

Good for you.

;)