ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Fairplay 11-10-2006 03:57 PM

I just read 1776. I recommend it. It makes me wonder if i lived in America back then what kind of patriot i would be?

I was wondering if anyone else was going to get the new book by Jeff Shaara titled The Rising Tide.

I think he is a great author. Plus he provides actual historic facts as accurate as possible throughout his books he has written.

Books i like of his (all about the civil war)

The Killer Angels
Gods and Generals
Last Full Measure

Raiderhater 11-30-2006 09:33 PM

Steel My Soldiers' Hearts

The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam

by Col. David Hackworth.

My Dad read it and thought it was great, "but that's coming from an old grunt, you might not find it as interesting." Well, I do. Hackworth was a true warrior with a great big pair of brass ones hanging 'tween his legs.

If you are at all interested in infantry actions in the Vietnam Delta, or just like a good war story, this is a great book. It reads fast, and shows that it was possible to beat Charlie, if you stopped trying to fight the war the way WWII was fought.

Frazod 11-30-2006 09:41 PM

I'm currently reading When Hell Froze Over, a book about a joint U.S./British/French campaign INSIDE the Soviet Union during and after the closing days of World War I, where we fought alongside Russian dissidents against the Communists.

If you never heard about this, don't feel bad. Neither did I until I picked up the book.

I'm almost halfway through. Very interesting read. It isn't often that I read about an aspect of U.S. history that I knew absolutely nothing about.

Jenson71 11-30-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I'm currently reading When Hell Froze Over, a book about a joint U.S./British/French campaign INSIDE the Soviet Union during and after the closing days of World War I, where we fought alongside Russian dissidents against the Communists.

If you never heard about this, don't feel bad. Neither did I until I picked up the book.

I'm almost halfway through. Very interesting read. It isn't often that I read about an aspect of U.S. history that I knew absolutely nothing about.

When the Cold War truly started.

Reaper16 12-01-2006 12:51 AM

I've been reading recent back issues ofThe Missouri Review which is a top notch literary journal published by MU. It's one of the few national literary journals that I've found to include decent creative nonfiction.

Aside from that, assigned readings for classes. Read a novella called "The Pastoral Symphony" by Andre Gide. It was pretty nice, if obvious.

Fairplay 12-01-2006 06:31 AM

I just read the latest book by Jeff Shaara titled The Rising Tide. WW2 book.

Good read. I need a new book to read. I will go through this thread to see i can see some that would interest me.

Frazod 12-01-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay
I just read the latest book by Jeff Shaara titled The Rising Tide. WW2 book.

Good read. I need a new book to read. I will go through this thread to see i can see some that would interest me.

I really enjoy his stuff. I'll be sure to pick that up.

Fairplay 12-01-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I really enjoy his stuff. I'll be sure to pick that up.

This should not be of any surprise to you Frazod but this is a part 1 of 3 books.

Thought thought you might want to know.

BIG_DADDY 12-01-2006 10:42 AM

Case for a Creator

RNR 12-01-2006 10:49 AM

Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Baby Lee 12-01-2006 10:54 AM

Back to my 9th or 10th reading of Dune.
Never gets old.
This time, I'm gonna try to get through the series in order and in a timely fashion. See how it flows.

OnTheWarpath15 12-01-2006 11:03 AM

Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work

Paul Babiak, Ph.D. and Robert Hare, Ph.D.

stumppy 12-01-2006 11:06 AM

FRIDAY by Robert A. Heinlein.

Read my first book by Heinlein a couple months ago. This will be the 3rd one in a row.

Fairplay 12-01-2006 11:09 AM

Another book i really liked about WW2 that was Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege.

If you like the history stuff.

Frazod 12-01-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Back to my 9th or 10th reading of Dune.
Never gets old.
This time, I'm gonna try to get through the series in order and in a timely fashion. See how it flows.

I never could get past the 4th book of the original series. I've picked it up several times over the past 20 years and tried to get through it, but I just find the entire notion of Leto transformed into a thousands-of-years-old giant worm to be both lame and boring. Couple that with the loss of all the interesting characters from the first three books, and IMO it just sucks.

Obviously I've never read the 5th and 6th books either, although I'm told their both better than God Emperor.