ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

KCUnited 07-06-2023 12:02 PM

I just finished The Days on Netflix last night.

Its the story of the Fukushima Daiichi disaster or the Japanese Chernobyl.

It was certainly interesting and I wished I had liked it more than I did. Feel it was a couple episodes too long bloated with emotion trying to capture the stoic sense of duty and respect in Japanese culture but it just got a little long in the tooth.

Super interesting true (mostly) story which if you aren't familiar with could make it worthwhile.

The fact that the plant still isn't decommissioned and is practically a bomb still sitting there was a little eye opening.

Mecca 07-06-2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006768)

It was certainly interesting and I wished I had liked it more than I did. Feel it was a couple episodes too long bloated with emotion trying to capture the stoic sense of duty and respect in Japanese culture but it just got a little long in the tooth.

Super interesting true (mostly) story which if you aren't familiar with could make it worthwhile.

The fact that the plant still isn't decommissioned and is practically a bomb still sitting there was a little eye opening.

Japan is actually still dumping radioactive waste water into the ocean to this day...TEPCO was told in 2009 that a tsunami would destroy that plant as it wasn't protected...they deflected with "we were still looking into it"

There's a lot of shady stuff around that disaster.

KCUnited 07-06-2023 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17006849)
Japan is actually still dumping radioactive waste water into the ocean to this day...TEPCO was told in 2009 that a tsunami would destroy that plant as it wasn't protected...they deflected with "we were still looking into it"

There's a lot of shady stuff around that disaster.

From the mini series, humans nor robots can get near the fuel for several more decades

Definitely some eye opening moves they made in the name of duty and salvaging perception

Mecca 07-06-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006879)
From the mini series, humans nor robots can get near the fuel for several more decades

Definitely some eye opening moves they made in the name of duty and salvaging perception

Japans culture was on display in that show, not losing face was more important than anything.

Buehler445 07-06-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 17006413)
If you're going in that direction of Big Little Lies, Sharp Objects, and The Undoing, I thought Mare of Eastown was the best of the bunch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 17006768)

Yeah, these nuclear things are weird. Chernobyl is like EVERYBODY HAS TO BE DEAD RIGHT? And it was bad. It was a goddamned catastrophe. However, the Reactors 1-3 were operated until 2000. How the hell could operators live and work in the exclusion zone with all that radiation? Then you read about all the people that sneak in there with Geiger Counters and stuff is all profoundly interesting, but it's weird, and not how we we would think.

And I think 3 Mile Island ran until sometime in the 90s, and only shut down because the company went broke.

Weird shit man.

I will check the The Days though, obviously Ithat shit is interesting.

lewdog 07-09-2023 02:57 PM

We got a promotion for Starz for 4 months. Where do we start for good series on Starz?

Buehler445 07-09-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 17010219)
We got a promotion for Starz for 4 months. Where do we start for good series on Starz?

Is Black Sails still on Starz? That is worth the watch.

Buehler445 07-09-2023 03:35 PM

Looking through their offerings. The White Queen, The White Princess and The Spanish Princess aren't bad. Weren't really my thing, but not a terrible watch.

Magic City is pretty solid.

Spartacus has some cheese, but is pretty decent.

That's about all I've seen.

BigBeauford 07-09-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Even though it's on HBO now I think, Banshee is still awesome.

BigBeauford 07-09-2023 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17010375)
Even though it's on HBO now I think, Banshee is still awesome.

Whoops, that's Cinemax.

rocknrolla 07-10-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Party Down is good. Just dropped a new season, although it took 10 years.

Pepe Silvia 07-10-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 17010838)
Party Down is good. Just dropped a new season, although it took 10 years.

Are we having fun yet?

Lzen 07-11-2023 08:38 AM

Just finished season 1 of Silo. Great show, can't wait for new season. Anyone got any theories as to what is going on? What will happen to Juliette?

In58men 07-11-2023 08:42 AM

Thoughts on The Witcher?

We just started the last season to Peaky Blinders, once that’s over we’re thinking about The Witcher…

BigBeauford 07-11-2023 08:57 AM

The Bear closed out strong with Episodes 7-10. I'm still a bit iffy about this turning into show about the characters' personal lives with the kitchen aspect added as the seasoning rather than the other way around.