ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303381)

DJ's left nut 02-21-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 12750507)
Taking a shot in the dark that this was somewhat of a trick question..

1. Zack Greinke (2004)
2. Zack Greinke (2009)

EDIT Crap, missed your above post about it being offensive players.

Uh. Dejesus and Sweeney? I'm drawing a blank.

He may have missed Greinke.

Greinke's 8.6 in 2009 beat the team total of 7.8. It's amazing how many truly terrible players that squad had on it. Their top 8 guys generated 11 WAR (3.6 from DeJesus alone). They offset that by 2500+ ABs from guys that generated a shocking -8.6 WAR.

Bowser 02-21-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12750522)
He may have missed Greinke.

Greinke's 8.6 in 2009 beat the team total of 7.8. It's amazing how many truly terrible players that squad had on it. Their top 8 guys generated 11 WAR (3.6 from DeJesus alone). They offset that by 2500+ ABs from guys that generated a shocking -8.6 WAR.

I think he said a full point higher than the team's fWAR. I'm no mathematician, but....

:D

Dartgod 02-21-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12750523)
I think he said a full point higher than the team's fWAR. I'm no mathematician, but....

:D

No, I don't think he did.

I would guess Sweeney on the 2004 team. No idea on the other one.

Bowser 02-21-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12750526)
No, I don't think he did.

You're right, he didn't. Both his posts merged into one in my head.

Apologies, DJ. But you're still no chaos math theorist!

Chiefspants 02-21-2017 10:26 AM

Either way, I like this a lot. PB could start his own weekly trivia hour.

Great Expectations 02-21-2017 10:32 AM

I'd guess Randa, Gordon, or DeJesus. Billay's lack of D should hurt him in this.

Prison Bitch 02-21-2017 10:37 AM

Panda 2004
DDJ 2005

Pitchers not part of this, way too easy to outdo your staff. There are prob dozens who have in this time frame.

DJ's left nut 02-21-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12750563)
Panda 2004
DDJ 2005

Pitchers not part of this, way too easy to outdo your staff. There are prob dozens who have in this time frame.

Greinke's an outlier, though - he outdid the whole team; staff and position players combined.

Prison Bitch 02-21-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12750574)
Greinke's an outlier, though - he outdid the whole team; staff and position players combined.

I'm almost positive RJ did the same for the 2004 Diamondbacks, since they're the only negative war team IIRC

DJ's left nut 02-21-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12750589)
I'm almost positive RJ did the same for the 2004 Diamondbacks, since they're the only negative war team IIRC

Wait, so wouldn't any hitter on the D-Backs that isn't in the negative qualify for your list, then? Or do you count pitchers for determining team WAR then disqualify them to 'beat' the team WAR?

Because at that point, the exercise seems so strained as to be without merit. The 2004 D-Backs hitters generated a -.5 WAR. Their pitching staff combined to generate 10.7 WAR, pretty much exclusively on the back of Johnson's 9.6.

So Johnson pretty easily cleared the rest of his squad combined (9.6 to .6 for everyone else). Meanwhile, if pitching is taken out of the equation, a 36 year old Brent Mayne managed to out-WAR the rest of his teammates combined at a mere .1.

Prison Bitch 02-21-2017 11:45 AM

No. 4 regulars outdid their team WAR. Pitchers were not considered.

KChiefs1 02-21-2017 12:57 PM

http://www.royalsreview.com/2017/2/2...-on-610-sports

The market has changed for first basemen, says Ken Rosenthal

Over the weekend, Eric Hosmer revealed he was engaged in long-term contract talks with the Royals, although he will end talks if there is no deal by Opening Day. Fox Sports reporter Ken Rosenthal went on The Drive on 610 Sports to discuss Hosmer and other other impending Royals free agents.

Host Carrington Harrison asserted that Hosmer would get nine figures, likely in reference to numbers floated around by agent Scott Boras that Hosmer could seek a ten-year, $200 million deal. Rosenthal wasn’t so quick to assume Hosmer could land such a lucrative deal, however.

“You would assume nine figures, but I’m not positive. the market has changed. First basemen did not do well this past off-season....Is he going to crazy with $150 million? I’m not sure I see that anymore for players like him.”

Many sluggers such as Edwin Encarnacion, Mark Trumbo, and Jose Bautista received deals well under what they were expecting this past winter. Rosenthal argued that while Hosmer is a more complete player than those home-run hitting sluggers, teams are not paying top dollar for first basemen anymore, instead relying on non-traditional first basemen and platoons.

The Royals are not engaged in long-term contract talks with Mike Moustakas, according to Rosenthal, and Harrison wondered what kind of deal Moose could expect. Rosenthal used the recent four year, $60 million deal signed this past winter by Justin Turner as a starting point, admitting that Moustakas is younger. He did knock Moustakas for not having a long established track record, as 2015 was his only big breakout season thus far.

“This year will determine a lot for him.”

However, he opined that the lack of any other quality third basemen on the market this winter would help, just as Hosmer faces little free agent competition at first base.

On Lorenzo Cain, it seems that age is the big reason why the Royals are not engaged in long-term talks with their All-Star outfielder.

“Age is increasingly a big factor in free agency.”

Rosenthal thought Dexter Fowler was a “fair comp” for Cain, although each brought different qualities to the table. Fowler signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Cardinals last winter, and is one year younger than Cain when Lorenzo reaches free agency next winter. Rosenthal was much more dismissive of the possibility of shortstop Alcides Escobar to come back, citing his declining defensive metrics and ready replacement in Raúl A. Mondesí.

“I would say he’s not likely to come back.”

Rosenthal gave the Royals credit for a tough off-season, but was uncertain they had really improved the club. The loss of Wade Davis and Kendrys Morales were big blows to the roster, although he liked the late pickups of Brandon Moss, Jason Hammel, and Travis Wood.

“It was two off-seasons for them - the one before the death of Yordano Ventura and the one after the death of Yordano Ventura.”

Rosenthal also discussed the evolving free agent market, with teams becoming “ruthlessly efficient with how they approach payroll.” Teams are becoming more patient with free agents, and using the supply and demand of the market to work the best deal. The Royals exploited the market this past winter, getting slugger Brandon Moss at a fraction of the price of the deal Kendrys Morales signed with the Blue Jays at the outset of the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1 02-21-2017 01:17 PM

*** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/...bruary-21-2017

Minor League Ball daily discussion, February 21, 2017

Good morning everyone and welcome to the Minor League Ball daily discussion thread for Tuesday, February 21st, 2017.

My main goal today is to wind up the sleeper prospect reports with the American League Central, National League East, and American League East.

The next major project will be farm system rankings.

Today’s discussion question concerns Raul Mondesi Jr of the Kansas City Royals. MLBTradeRumors looked at the Royals second base battle this morning, summarizing the contenders for the job as Mondesi, Whit Merrifield, Christian Colon, and Cheslor Curthbert. Author Jeff Todd believes Merrifield has the edge going into camp.

That would have been unthinkable 12 months ago; entering 2016, Merrifield was an obscure Triple-A infielder while Mondesi was widely regarded as a top infield prospect. Merrifield outplayed him, but he’s also 28 while Mondesi is still only 21. Merrifield may be the better bet for production in 2017, but down the line Mondesi will still be the more valuable talent.

Or will he?

Mondesi has always been more about athleticism and projection than performance, but he’s always been given a lot of slack due to his age and the highly aggressive way the Royals promoted him. Two questions for you to consider:

A) If you were the Royals, how would you handle him this year? Does he go back to Omaha in favor of Merrifield or someone else in the short run?

B) Regardless of what YOU would personally do, what do you think will actually happen? When we look at the baseball encyclopedias 20 years from now, what’s Mondesi’s slash line and WAR value? Is it at all plausible that Merrifield may actually turn out to be the better player long-term?

Discuss.

Khalil Lee, OF:
Age 18, third round pick in 2016 from high school in Virginia; hit .269/.396/.484 in rookie ball and drew 33 walks in 182 at-bats, albeit with 57 strikeouts; impressive tools with power, speed, throwing arm all positives; was one of the top pure athletes in the entire draft and showed enough in his debut to make us think he can tap those tools; he is a risk and won’t pay off soon, but the payoff could be big.

Kort Peterson, OF:
I have been doing one hitter and one pitcher per team but this guy is too interesting to pass up so I will violate the rule; age 22, a 23rd round pick in 2016 from UCLA but had the physical tools to go 20 rounds higher; draft stock was limited by disappointing college track record; hit .347/.437/.545 in the Appalachian League while showing plus power, good running speed, and a right field arm; we absolutely need to see him at higher levels but unlike many college players who dominate rookie ball, Peterson has the physical tools to sustain it at higher levels; key now is to see if his skill progress is genuine.

Kansas City Royals Top 11 Prospects for 2017

The list and grades are a blending of present performance and long-term potential. Comments are welcome, but in the end all analysis and responsibility is mine. All of these grades are subject to change as the winter progresses. The final grades will be finished sometime in February when all 30 teams are complete.

QUICK PRIMER ON GRADE MEANINGS

Grade A prospects are the elite. In theory, they have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Theoretically, most Grade A prospects develop into stars or at least major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don’t intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who may have a question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for. A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Many end up as role players or bench guys. Some don’t make it at all.

Finally, keep in mind that all grades are shorthand. A Grade C prospect in rookie ball could end up being very impressive, while a Grade C prospect in Triple-A is likely just a future role player.

1) Josh Staumont, RHP, Grade B/B+: Age 22, second round pick in 2015 from Azusa Pacific; posted 4.23 ERA with 167/104 K/BB in 123 innings in Double-A/Triple-A with just 104 hits; blistering fastball at 95-100 MPH with peaks at 102; also shows a curveball ranging from below average to plus depending on the day and a change-up that needs more work; the strikeouts and low hit rates are not lying, his stuff is superb, but mechanics and resulting command remain spotty; could turn into a dominating starter as maximal outcome although may fit best in relief if command/change-up remain erratic. ETA: late 2017.

2) Hunter Dozier, 3B-OF, Grade B: Age 25, hit .296/.366/.533 with 44 doubles, 23 homers in 486 at-bats in Double-A/Triple-A, saving his career after poor ’14 and ’15 seasons; revamped hitting mechanics and a better eye restored the luster that made him a first round pick in 2013; question now is maintaining it and he’s no longer that young as prospects go due to the lost seasons; glove mediocre-to-average with strong arm but so-so range and reliability; ETA 2017.

3) Matt Strahm, LHP, Grade B: Age 25, out-of-nowhere success story posted 3.43 ERA with 107/23 K/BB in 102 innings in Double-A, then jumped to majors and posted 1.23 ERA in 22 innings in bullpen, 30/11 K/BB; 21st round pick in 2012 from Neosho County Community College in Kansas; career slowed by injuries but 90-96 MPH fastball and solid/average curve and change remain intact; has the arsenal and command to start but questions remain about his durability; there’s little doubt about his talent, just uncertainty regarding the role. ETA: 2017.

4) Eric Skoglund, LHP, Grade B-: Age 24, third round pick in 2014 from University of Central Florida; 3.45 ERA in 156 innings in Double-A with 134/38 K/BB; classic finesse lefty with 88-92 MPH fastball, curveball, change-up; throws strikes and can look intimidating at 6-7 despite lack of plus stuff; Texas League observers were impressed with his composure and pitching instincts; potential number four starter. ETA: late 2017.

5) Jorge Bonifacio, OF, Grade B-: Age 23, hit .277/.361/.466 with 19 homers, 51 walks, 130 strikeouts in 495 at-bats in Triple-A; has finally learned to tap his raw power more consistently but contact and batting average are going to be issues when he reaches the majors; right now looks like a .240-.250, 20 homersish hitter but still young enough to develop further; 60-grade outfield arm and average range make him a right fielder. ETA: 2017.

6) Ryan O’Hearn, 1B, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, hit .275/.351/.478 with 22 homers, 56 walks, 158 strikeouts in 502 at-bats in High-A and Double-A; left-side power, 55 or 60-grade; can draw walks but a lot of swing-and-miss in his game right now; had more of a pure hitter reputation in past seasons and is not a strict pull hitter; has shown more power recently but batting average/OBP could be issues in majors; glove adequate but not great; ETA late 2017.

7) Chase Vallot, C, Grade B-/C+: Age 20, compensation round pick in 2014; hit .246/.367/.463 with 13 homers, 39 walks, 118 strikeouts in 272 at-bats in Low-A; 60-grade raw power and plenty of bat speed; slash line was much better than it looks on the surface with wRC+ of 140; but has significant problems with contact; he makes an effort to work the count and can take a walk but there’s simply a lot of swing/miss here; defense remains troublesome, threw out 33% of runners but with very high passed ball and error rates; high ceiling power bat but a long way off. ETA: 2021.

8) Donnie Dewees, OF, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, second round pick by Cubs in 2015 from North Florida, traded to Royals in February for Alec Mills,; hit .284/.338/.416 with 25 doubles, 14 triples, five homers, 31 steals; runs very well and a very successful base stealer, also an above-average defensive outfielder despite weak throwing arm; may have more raw power than he’s shown so far. ETA: 2019.

9) Scott Blewett, RHP, Grade C+: Age 20, second round pick in 2014 from high school in New York; posted 4.31 ERA with 121/51 K/BB in 129 innings in Low-A; fastball at 90-95 and was consistently faster late in the year after mechanical changes; curveball and change-up remain spotty but curve in particular has good promise; still making transition from cold-weather high school arm to professional pitcher; could be number three starter down the line. ETA: 2021.

10) A.J. Puckett, RHP, Grade C+: Age 21, second round pick in 2016 from Pepperdine, posted 3.66 ERA with 37/15 K/BB in 52 innings in Low-A; low-90s fastball with a plus change-up; breaking ball draws mixed reviews and his strikeout rate was low in his debut, which is a caution flag for higher levels; projects as number four starter due to command, pitchability and instincts instead of stuff. ETA: 2019.

11) Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, missed almost entire season with thoracic outlet syndrome; supposed to be OK by spring training but given the track record of constant health problems it is hard to be confident; when healthy he has two plus pitches and can dominate but your guess is as good as mine on if he can stay healthy. ETA: sometime in 2017 if healthy. Watch spring reports.

KChiefs1 02-21-2017 01:33 PM

Spring Training photos:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2017/2/2...ning-photo-day

C3HIEF3S 02-21-2017 02:16 PM

Seems weird to me that these talks are so public with Hosmer and the Royals. Made sense for a guy like Duffy, who was obviously going to sign a long-term deal. But I must say it just sounds off how public these facts are that the Royals are negotiating with Hosmer, yet not with Moose or Cain.