ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

duncan_idaho 06-13-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 12915049)
Here are our first round draft picks over the last 10 years:

Ashe Russel

Nolan Watson

Chase Vallot

Foster Griffin

Finnegan

Manaea

Dozier

Zimmer

Bubba

Colon

Crow

Montgomery

Who inspires confidence in our ability to scout and develop elite young talent?

Montgomery is now a quality reliever/spot starter, was a key piece of the shields/Davis trade, and was developed well enough to be a consensus top 20 prospect. Success.

Crow turned in a few years of solid MLb bullpen production and returned Brian Flynn via trade, who has a solid MLb season under his belt and four more years of control.

Colon and Starling are busts.

Zimmer can't stay healthy but was a scouting success. He's just as dynamic as they thought, and there was no way these injury issues could have been foresee.

Dozier is going to be a quality major leaguer, and Manaea is on his way to being a good MLb starter. Also was developed well enough to be a top 50-75 prospect.

Finnegan had a successful rookie season and was a key trade piece.

Griffin is in the midst of a breakout season at A+ and AA. After struggling his first two years, he now looks like he could be a solid MLb SP.

Vallot is not crushing at A+, though he is starting to hit better. His power is real, and he's only 20. That's not over.

Watson and Russell looks like busts.

That's not a terrible success rate, compared to other major league teams. And that's only talking about first round picks.

Jorge Bonifacio and Whit Merrifield certainly are marks in favor of the Royals development. Same with Junis or even Skoglund.

The royals have a few painful misses. But that doesn't mean this is a hopeless system with no ability to develop guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 12915096)
I think everyone does realize that, we also realize that the first round is a crap shoot. We've been a little better in identifying talent in Latin America, but we've been very good with trades. The Greinke trade for MLB ready talent was great, our draft picks haven't been.

You are not the only fan to criticize the drafts so I get where you're coming from. But, I will point out, the first four on your original list are young and we don't know how their careers will turn out. Dozier (on DL with serious injury), Zimmer (alway hurt), and Starling (can't seem to get it) are great disappointments.
I will also point out, I believe there are four rookies on the current roster; Skogland, Junis, Bonifacio, and Torres. There could be some rookie bullpen guys that have shuffled back and worth but I can't keep up with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the cupboard is not entirely bare.
But I do understand your point.

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12915113)
Montgomery is now a quality reliever/spot starter, was a key piece of the shields/Davis trade, and was developed well enough to be a consensus top 20 prospect. Success.

Crow turned in a few years of solid MLb bullpen production and returned Brian Flynn via trade, who has a solid MLb season under his belt and four more years of control.

Zimmer can't stay healthy but was a scouting success. He's just as dynamic as they thought, and there was no way these injury issues could have been foresee.

Dozier is going to be a quality major leaguer, and Manaea is on his way to being a good MLb starter. Also was developed well enough to be a top 50-75 prospect.

Griffin is in the midst of a breakout season at A+ and AA. After struggling his first two years, he now looks like he could be a solid MLb SP.

Vallot is not crushing at A+, though he is starting to hit better. His power is real, and he's only 20. That's not over.

That's not a terrible success rate, compared to other major league teams. And that's only talking about first round picks.

Jorge Bonifacio and Whit Merrifield certainly are marks in favor of the Royals development. Same with Junis or even Skoglund.

The royals have a few painful misses. But that doesn't mean this is a hopeless system with no ability to develop guys.

As always, you said all better than I did. With better facts.

Sure-Oz 06-13-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12915080)
I would rather him be the next Hosmer. He won something.

Lol I'd rather hos was as good as Votto.. dude is what I thought hosmer was going to be #s wise

Chiefspants 06-13-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

I would be less concerned about Moore's draft record if the MLB hadn't added rules that will cull the brilliant strategy Moore utilized a decade ago in Latin America.

The new rules plus with Moore's recent misses in the draft means he will have an uphill climb if we need to go full rebuild - which is why I'm more inclined for us to go with ready made pieces through trades this year.

The good news is that the cupboard isn't the desolate wasteland that it was when he took the keys from Allard.

Al Bundy 06-13-2017 04:37 PM

I had forgotten about Nolan Watson.

C3HIEF3S 06-13-2017 05:42 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ned says Matt Strahm will start Thursday. 65-70 pitch limit</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/874771858163249152">June 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Matt Strahm 2016:
22.0 IP, 12.27 K/9, 4.50 BB/9, 1.23 ERA, 2.06 FIP, 3.04 xFIP

Matt Strahm 2017:
22.0 IP, 10.64 K/9, 7.36 BB/9, 4.50 ERA, 5.70 FIP, 4.85 xFIP

One of the mistakes that the Royals FO has made this season that has irked me the most was trusting Strahm to be a late-inning reliever instead of continuing his development as a starter in the first place. Walks have become a troublesome trend for Strahm since he moved to the pen when he arrived in KC last season, of which he had seem to have no problem with for the better part of 2 years starting. If you take a look at his numbers in the minors and in the majors, Matt Strahm's walk issues are directly correlated to pitching out of the bullpen. This problem didn't just come out of nowhere, and it shouldn't be a surprise to the FO that this hasn't worked out up to this point.

STRAHM BB/9
2014- Rookie Ball- Games: 10, Games started: 1, BB/9: 4.58
2015- A-Ball- Games: 14, Games started: 0, BB/9: 4.15
2015- High-A Ball- Games: 15, Games started: 11, BB/9: 2.51
2016- AA-NWA Games: 22, Games started: 18, BB/9: 2.02
2016- KC Games: 21, Games started: 0, BB/9: 4.50
2017- KC Games: 20, Games started: 0, BB/9: 7.36

penbrook 06-13-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 12915262)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ned says Matt Strahm will start Thursday. 65-70 pitch limit</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/874771858163249152">June 13, 2017</a></blockquote>

Matt Strahm 2016:
22.0 IP, 12.27 K/9, 4.50 BB/9, 1.23 ERA, 2.06 FIP, 3.04 xFIP

Matt Strahm 2017:
22.0 IP, 10.64 K/9, 7.36 BB/9, 4.50 ERA, 5.70 FIP, 4.85 xFIP

Who was the original starter for that date?

C3HIEF3S 06-13-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12915270)
Who was the original starter for that date?

It would have been Skoglund's spot.

Sure-Oz 06-13-2017 07:21 PM

@OMAStormChasers: Top 4: GONE! Jorge Soler hits another one! It's 2-2. #SolerPower

He has 7 hr in his last 11 games in Omaha

DaneMcCloud 06-13-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Jorge Bonifacio and Whit Merrifield certainly are marks in favor of the Royals development.

Okay, here's what I don't understand and hopefully, you can clear up.

Bonifacio has been ascending for a while. I thought he should have been brought up last year early and he certainly should have made the 25.

So, with that said, why trade for Soler? He's behind Boni and they play the same the position. How could they not see that Boni was taking the next step?

I'd rather have Wade right now, for the last run.

penbrook 06-13-2017 07:44 PM

Maybe we can trade Soler back to the Cubs for Davis. That would booster there farm system.

Captain Obvious 06-13-2017 07:46 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kyle Zimmer returns from the DL with a 1-2-3 relief inning! Welcome back, Kyle!<br><br>Still 6-2 OKC.</p>&mdash; Omaha Storm Chasers (@OMAStormChasers) <a href="https://twitter.com/OMAStormChasers/status/874804985577525249">June 14, 2017</a></blockquote>

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-13-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 12915399)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kyle Zimmer returns from the DL with a 1-2-3 relief inning! Welcome back, Kyle!<br><br>Still 6-2 OKC.</p>&mdash; Omaha Storm Chasers (@OMAStormChasers) <a href="https://twitter.com/OMAStormChasers/status/874804985577525249">June 14, 2017</a></blockquote>

Over/under on innings pitched before bext DL stint?

Ill give it 1 and a third

C3HIEF3S 06-13-2017 08:13 PM

Ty Blach, the Giants starter for tonight, has a K/9 of 3.64. That mark ranks dead last of all pitchers in the majors who have thrown 60 or more IP this season. However, he has good command with a BB/9 of 1.82 which ranks 10th best of all starters with 60 or more IP.

Blach's key to success is generating groundballs of which he does 50.7% of the time, which ranks in the top 20% of pitchers who have thrown 60 or more IP.