ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Fish 03-11-2011 06:47 PM

LMAO Good ****ing grief....

Quote:

Above, that's college student Amanda Foote. She's smiling because earlier today, she sold her spot in the iPad 2 line for $900. Foote waited outside the Fifth Avenue Apple flagship for almost 41 hours, powering through sleep deprivation, yesterday's downpour, and an incident in which a stranger stole her donuts. Ultimately, she sold her space to an app developer who told Mashable that he bought it because he wants his new iPad with him when he leaves on a business trip tonight. Foote, who seems remarkably good-natured for a woman who just spent two days being rained on, says she's going to use the money to see Lady Gaga.
http://ny.racked.com/archives/2011/0...pad_2_line.php

Fish 03-11-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7483519)
Looking for a little help here from the iPad experts.

Like most, I have a wireless network at home, and my iPad is hooked up on it. Now, if for whatever reason I have to power cycle my Linksys router, the iPad cannot get back on the wireless network again.

Everything is works fine, both wired and wireless, except the iPad. I have told it to forget the network, tried to connect with it using the SSID, I have tried putting in other networks, and then typing my SSID and selecting the proper security (WPA). And still nothing.

Any thoughts?

Does the iPad see the network when you turn wireless on? Does it give you an IP address? Is your router setup correctly? And does the router see the iPad?

I've never had wireless issues with mine.

kaplin42 03-11-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7483938)
Does the iPad see the network when you turn wireless on? Does it give you an IP address? Is your router setup correctly? And does the router see the iPad?

I've never had wireless issues with mine.

The iPad sees the SSID with no issues. So does my laptop, and my laptop connects just fine to the wireless, so does my droid X. My home desktops are fine too, although they are LAN.

It's the iPad, and only the iPad. All I did was a power cycle on the linksys router, and now it won't connect.

patteeu 03-11-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7484002)
The iPad sees the SSID with no issues. So does my laptop, and my laptop connects just fine to the wireless, so does my droid X. My home desktops are fine too, although they are LAN.

It's the iPad, and only the iPad. All I did was a power cycle on the linksys router, and now it won't connect.

Will it connect after power cycling the iPad?

Fish 03-12-2011 06:08 AM

Sheeple lined up in KC for iPad2.......

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9...zql1160478.jpg

Silock 03-12-2011 06:16 AM

Heh, that looks like the Back 2 School line I was in a few years ago. Tax free weekend + cheap desktops = long ass lines. Totally worth it, though.

Fish 03-12-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7473064)
Well, my wife has $ burning a hole in her pocket, so I guess we're going with the iPad 2 on Friday. It will work great for us, as my wife and kids will use it more than me most likely.

I really wanted to go with Honeycomb, but Xoom blew it and we don't want to wait any longer (already waited a month).

I'll come back over the weekend with a review, assuming there isn't a limited suppy on hand come Friday.

Any must have iPad apps anyone could point me to? Especially learning type apps for kids?

Here's what my daughter loves on the iPad:

Netflix. Lots of cartoons.
Dr. Seuss books. They give you the option to read to you or read yourself.
Beanstalk. Interactive Jack and the Beanstalk story.
Super Why!. PBS kids game.
Draw Free. Art like program to draw.
BSM: Monkey flying game very kid friendly.
Uno
Stuffy Bunny: Build-a-bunny.
Fox and Tiger. Interactive book.
Jampad Free. Piano app.
3Dstorybook. Several different interactive books.
Storybook. Free interactive storybook.
Monkeys who tried to catch the moon. Interactive book.
Midnight HD. Fractal touch program.

NewChief 03-12-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7484957)
Sheeple lined up in KC for iPad2.......

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9...zql1160478.jpg

That's nothing compared to the line for the Android tablet...err.... nm.

DBOSHO 03-12-2011 12:08 PM

Its a big ipod touch..... Just go buy a laptop.

patteeu 03-12-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 7485263)

A laptop is just a more cumbersome flip phone without the phone.

Silock 03-12-2011 09:08 PM

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...3658-35897.png

|Zach| 03-12-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 7485263)

It amazes me how many people don't see how important the form factor is. Apple has understood it for a long time that is why they have money coming out of every orifice.

KevB 03-13-2011 12:50 AM

I've had mine for 24 hours; first tablet I have owned. This thing is really, really cool. My family is going to use the heck out of this thing.

Bewbies 03-13-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7486595)
I've had mine for 24 hours; first tablet I have owned. This thing is really, really cool. My family is going to use the heck out of this thing.

You must not understand the genious that the new honeycomb offers. It can literally wipe your butt for you while you're reading a book and watching flash vidoes!!

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7486595)

Wouldnt a laptop get just as much use, and be more useful?

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7487164)
You must not understand the genious that the new honeycomb offers. It can literally wipe your butt for you while you're reading a book and watching flash vidoes!!

I hear the iPad2 will have your bowel movements for you.

patteeu 03-13-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487232)

Why does his satisfaction bother you so much?

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7487235)
Why does his satisfaction bother you so much?

Why did my picking on him bother you so much?

patteeu 03-13-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487237)
Why did my picking on him bother you so much?

Because it seemed inconsistent with your claim that you aren't a knee-jerk apple basher.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7487242)
Because it seemed inconsistent with your claim that you aren't a knee-jerk apple basher.

I give Apple fanboys shit because of their ridiculous comments. Read this entire thread and tell me I'm wrong.

The comment I made to KevB was an honest question. I do not intend to buy a tablet until they come down in price, significantly.

patteeu 03-13-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487256)
I give Apple fanboys shit because of their ridiculous comments. Read this entire thread and tell me I'm wrong.

The comment I made to KevB was an honest question. I do not intend to buy a tablet until they come down in price, significantly.

Your question seems insulting to me. Surely KevB is familiar with the capabilities of the standard laptop. He'd have to be a moron if he decided to buy an iPad and was happy about the purchase if he believed he could have gotten a much better deal by buying a laptop. It seems pretty clear that there is something about the iPad that makes it a better purchase for his situation.

The Rick 03-13-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487232)

Just curious...have you ever used an iPad before? Have you ever used any kind of tablet before?

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 7487293)
Just curious...have you ever used an iPad before? Have you ever used any kind of tablet before?

No, and I wont until the price comes down. Honestly, I have no use for a Tablet. My laptop suits me just fine.

AustinChief 03-13-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 7487293)

oh oh! I have! I have! I actually have used all of them(iPad, Samsung (android 2.2) and Windows 7) on a consistent basis EXCEPT for the iPad2 (no exposure yet) and the Xoom(only have played around with it a few times)

For usability I rank them Windows 7, Xoom (with Flash coming Friday), iPad(1 & 2), Samsung

Windows 7 wins because I can run "real" programs on it.. but yes it is definitely clunky at times... as tablets mature I fully expect Win7 to fall off the list entirely... although if Microsoft could release a new tablet OS that let's you run desktop apps and has the FORM and functionality of Honeycomb.. they would still hold the lead .. not a chance in hell that happens.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7487283)
Your question seems insulting to me. Surely KevB is familiar with the capabilities of the standard laptop. He'd have to be a moron if he decided to buy an iPad and was happy about the purchase if he believed he could have gotten a much better deal by buying a laptop. It seems pretty clear that there is something about the iPad that makes it a better purchase for his situation.

Or, people like to spend money on things they dont need.

The Rick 03-13-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487318)
No, and I wont until the price comes down. Honestly, I have no use for a Tablet. My laptop suits me just fine.

Not trying to start a war or anything, but my point is that it's hard (in my humble opinion) to judge the usefulness of a tablet and to compare it to a laptop if you've never actually used one. That's all.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 7487344)
Not trying to start a war or anything, but my point is that it's hard (in my humble opinion) to judge the usefulness of a tablet and to compare it to a laptop if you've never actually used one. That's all.

The simple fact that a tablet has far less storage and no ROM drive is enough to tell me its far less useful than a laptop. I'm sure its fun to use, but no way could it replace a laptop/desktop.

patteeu 03-13-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487442)
The simple fact that a tablet has far less storage and no ROM drive is enough to tell me its far less useful than a laptop. I'm sure its fun to use, but no way could it replace a laptop/desktop.

No one is talking about replacing all the functionality of a laptop/desktop. It's like you're arguing about how stupid it would be to buy a bicycle because it doesn't replace your motorcycle or your car.

AustinChief 03-13-2011 05:00 PM

btw... something Apple has done a GREAT job of.. convincing people that a Tablet should ONLY do what a tablet does.. and not be a fully functional device.

Right now due to processor and memory constraints, SSD pricing and other issues... this is true.

There is NO reason that this should remain true for very much longer...

iOS and Android will NOT be able to provide full functionality anytime soon... at best 2013 (around the time Windows will either have a viable ARM based tablet OS OR Intel will have viable tablet processors)

In the meantime, this fall you have Ubuntu coming out with a full version of Linux with a touch interface, you have the Kal-El quad-core processor and ever diminishing SSD costs.

I doubt anyone will be standing in line to buy one, but you could have some badass linux tablets available soon. It would be nice to have a device that could ACTUALLY replace my Windows 7 tablet.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7487581)
No one is talking about replacing all the functionality of a laptop/desktop. It's like you're arguing about how stupid it would be to buy a bicycle because it doesn't replace your motorcycle or your car.

Because of price, yes. I'm sure its a handy device, but not at its current price.

Silock 03-13-2011 06:30 PM

$400 is hardly a dealbreaking price, no? You can get a 1st gen iPad (brand new) for that. iPad 2 starts at $500. That's not bad at all. About the cost of a PS3 with Move.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7487868)
$400 is hardly a dealbreaking price, no? You can get a 1st gen iPad (brand new) for that. iPad 2 starts at $500. That's not bad at all. About the cost of a PS3 with Move.

Thats not terrible, but I'd still rather spend it on a laptop.

Silock 03-13-2011 06:40 PM

Fair enough.

The Rick 03-13-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7487868)

Actually, I think the PS3 comparison is a GREAT example. Better than the earlier bicycle/motorcycle example.

Substitute PS3/Xbox/Wii with tablet. You could theoretically ask, why would anyone ever buy a PS3/Xbox/Wii when they could buy a PC to use for gaming? For the same price, you can get a better processor, more RAM, and a bigger hard drive and still play games. Why does anyone who already owns a PC buy those game consoles?

The answer is that people buy those game consoles for a better or different gaming experience.

People are buying iPads because they offer a different, and dare I say better, experience for many things than a laptop/desktop.

Bewbies 03-13-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487256)

The biggest fanboyism I've seen in this thread isn't on Apple's side, it's the phAndroids.

Bob Dole 03-13-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Again, why on earth would you want to store everything ON the device? Bob Dole prefers to have all his stuff available on all his devices, wherever Bob Dole happens to be at the moment.

Unless you spend a lot of time in some strange place where there is no 3G/4G/Wi-Fi, there is absolutely zero reason to store data ON the device.

The_Doctor10 03-13-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7487888)
Thats not terrible, but I'd still rather spend it on a laptop.

What laptop could you buy that was at all comparable quality-wise to an iPad for 500 dollars?

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7487996)
The biggest fanboyism I've seen in this thread isn't on Apple's side, it's the phAndroids.

ROFL OK

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7488012)
Again, why on earth would you want to store everything ON the device? Bob Dole prefers to have all his stuff available on all his devices, wherever Bob Dole happens to be at the moment.

Unless you spend a lot of time in some strange place where there is no 3G/4G/Wi-Fi, there is absolutely zero reason to store data ON the device.

I'm not that technically advanced.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7488072)
What laptop could you buy that was at all comparable quality-wise to an iPad for 500 dollars?

LMAO Typical fanboy response.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7487996)

Also, as an Android user, I dont consider Android to be the end all, be all. Its not perfect. Neither is Apple.

Silock 03-13-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7488085)
I'm not that technically advanced.

Hmm... perhaps Apple IS right for you, after all.

But in all seriousness, Bob Dole is right. Storage ON the device is irrelevant, really. I stream all my movies and music to the device, keep my documents on the cloud (google docs mostly), and use Goodreader for all my other file needs.

Hell, if you want, you can play WoW on an iPad, and it works reasonably well.

The_Doctor10 03-13-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7488094)
LMAO Typical fanboy response.

Ok... I see your 'Typical fanboy response' and raise you 'typical douche who ignores the question and just calls someone a fanboy instead'.

What laptop could you get for 500 dollars that was remotely interesting?

AustinChief 03-13-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7488118)

But in all seriousness, Bob Dole is right. Storage ON the device is irrelevant, really. I stream all my movies and music to the device, keep my documents on the cloud (google docs mostly), and use Goodreader for all my other file needs.

Unfortunately we are far from being fully "cloud" capable... in a few years that likely will be the case... but right now if you had a win7 tablet (that wasn't HUGE or clunky)... you could do everything an iPad or Android tablet could do AND you wouldn't need a laptop because it could run "real" programs... Right now ANY tablet is more novelty than utility. Ok, mine isn't but mine is also a pain in the ass to carry around and I wouldn't call it a "true" tablet.

It's going to be interesting to see how things pan out... we have more and more things moving toward the "cloud" which will make tablets as they are NOW.. fully functional... BUT at the same time, tablets are evolving to be more and more powerful with more storage and options which makes them more capable of running "legacy" programs. The big sticking point being that there is only one "real" OS that is tablet capable right now(Ubuntu).. but who knows what the future will bring. It's a funny paradox (well it really isn't a paradox but you get my drift)

AustinChief 03-13-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7488120)
Ok... I see your 'Typical fanboy response' and raise you 'typical douche who ignores the question and just calls someone a fanboy instead'.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd
http://i.dell.com/images/global/prod...uo-design1.jpg

:D

Silock 03-13-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7488155)
Unfortunately we are far from being fully "cloud" capable...

You say that now, but I've been doing it pretty well for a while, as limited as it is. Of course, I still need my desktop, but I'm not planning on replacing my desktop with a tablet, like, EVER.

Quote:

Right now ANY tablet is more novelty than utility.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I replaced my Win 7 netbook with my iPad for school and have had zero issues doing so. Your mileage may vary. It works great for me, and it's not a pain in the ass to carry around.

Bob Dole 03-13-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7488155)
Unfortunately we are far from being fully "cloud" capable...

Bob Dole must be confused, then, since he has 3.5GB of free space that he can access from any internet connected device with a browser, his phone, and his iPad.

BigMeatballDave 03-13-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7488120)

My 2-yr old Dell was $500 and I can burn/copy CDs/DVDs. I'd like to see an iPad do that. :) I already mentioned I have no use for a Tablet.

AustinChief 03-13-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7488172)
Bob Dole must be confused, then, since he has 3.5GB of free space that he can access from any internet connected device with a browser, his phone, and his iPad.

You're old.. it happens.. :D

I am talking about being able to run "real" applications over the "cloud".. it's definitely moving that way but we aren't there yet. I'm not talking about just storage.

AustinChief 03-13-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7488167)
You say that now, but I've been doing it pretty well for a while, as limited as it is. Of course, I still need my desktop, but I'm not planning on replacing my desktop with a tablet, like, EVER.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I replaced my Win 7 netbook with my iPad for school and have had zero issues doing so. Your mileage may vary. It works great for me, and it's not a pain in the ass to carry around.

I am talking about being able to REPLACE your desktop.. whether you plan on it or not.. we are headed toward being able to do so.. if you choose to.. my point being that we are still a ways off.

Bob Dole 03-13-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7488190)
You're old.. it happens.. :D

I am talking about being able to run "real" applications over the "cloud".. it's definitely moving that way but we aren't there yet. I'm not talking about just storage.

Sounds a lot like a dumb terminal. :p

AustinChief 03-13-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7488197)
Sounds a lot like a dumb terminal. :p

SEE! I told you you were old!

Not exactly a dumb terminal (since they will have significant local storage and processing power)... but getting closer to that model than the current one for sure.

Silock 03-13-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7488195)
I am talking about being able to REPLACE your desktop.. whether you plan on it or not.. we are headed toward being able to do so.. if you choose to.. my point being that we are still a ways off.

I get you now. I don't know that I'd ever want to replace my desktop.

AustinChief 03-13-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7488203)
I get you now. I don't know that I'd ever want to replace my desktop.

I see it more of a hybrid model... sort of like what the Atrix is but actually good. Who knows at this point.. I am just talking about capacity.

KevB 03-13-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Nope, that's why I have a laptop that work provides and a desktop at home. The tablet is "fun", but there's also utility due to it's mobility. In addition, my kids are already spending time with a number of "learning" apps, which is a positive. Does it cost too much? Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7488118)

My mom's getting one as a belated Christmas present, and she's having a hard time understanding why the 16Gb model is fine for her needs.

No, FaceTime does not use up storage, nor does streaming video.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Who the f uses a ROM drive anymore.

Might as well complain it doesn't take 5.25" as well. ;)

Skyy God 03-14-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7472819)
I'm not anti-apple at all, I am anti-iPad.

The smartphone market is different but the same REASONS that iPhone is losing market share there will apply with tablets... more choice, cheaper hardware.

Apple has considerable economies of scale in the market, and will so for the foreseeable future. Not sure how phAndroid manufacturers undercut the iPad, except by taking miniscule profit margins or selling them at a loss.

AustinChief 03-14-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7488954)
Apple has considerable economies of scale in the market, and will so for the foreseeable future. Not sure how phAndroid manufacturers undercut the iPad, except by taking miniscule profit margins or selling them at a loss.

HAHAHAHA... yes Apple has economies of scale in a market where NO ONE else was using touch screens, their ARM chip, etc etc... when you have 30 manufacturers using Nvidia Tegra 3 chips, XXX brand touch screens, etc etc the prices drop across the board.

That is a ridiculously short sighted argument that I have seen bandied about by writers for financial trades who obviously don't understand the industry.

Yes, it would be a valid point if each manufacturer made a proprietary device like the iPad.. but they won't be.. they will all be sharing the same components .. giving them a huge advantage once enough of them get in the game. (this fall)

BigMeatballDave 03-14-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7488938)
Who the f uses a ROM drive anymore.

I buy CDs. I rip them.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489319)
HAHAHAHA... yes Apple has economies of scale in a market where NO ONE else was using touch screens, their ARM chip, etc etc... when you have 30 manufacturers using Nvidia Tegra 3 chips, XXX brand touch screens, etc etc the prices drop across the board.

That is a ridiculously short sighted argument that I have seen bandied about by writers for financial trades who obviously don't understand the industry.

Yes, it would be a valid point if each manufacturer made a proprietary device like the iPad.. but they won't be.. they will all be sharing the same components .. giving them a huge advantage once enough of them get in the game. (this fall)

All of the upcoming phAndroid tablets are using the same hardware. Really??

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

Skyy God 03-14-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7489336)
I buy CDs. I rip them.

2004 likes your style.

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7489396)
All of the upcoming phAndroid tablets are using the same hardware. Really??

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

no, but don't be obtuse. Just like all PCs don't use the same hardware.. yet they share enough to drive the prices down to where Macs had to start using PC hardware to keep up...

They will likely share 2 MAYBE 3 different chips, mostly the same memory and with touchscreens scale is a different issue that won't apply. Again, don't be purposely obtuse for the sake of the debate.

The Apple has "economy of scale" argument is one that people in the industry laugh at. It would take ONE serious Chinese manufacturer to blow that up. Go back a few pages and read the article I posted by Dvorak. He's is one of the few people quoted who has the chops in the industry(25 years as a tech columnist) and whose opinion should be trusted.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489430)
no, but don't be obtuse. Just like all PCs don't use the same hardware.. yet they share enough to drive the prices down to where Macs had to start using PC hardware to keep up...

They will likely share 2 MAYBE 3 different chips, mostly the same memory and with touchscreens scale is a different issue that won't apply. Again, don't be purposely obtuse for the sake of the debate.

The Apple has "economy of scale" argument is one that people in the industry laugh at. It would take ONE serious Chinese manufacturer to blow that up. Go back a few pages and read the article I posted by Dvorak. He's is one of the few people quoted who has the chops in the industry(25 years as a tech columnist) and whose opinion should be trusted.

Repost it, or give me post number, and I'll take a look.

The_Doctor10 03-14-2011 01:19 PM

Fair play... It looks 'interesting'. It also looks really frickin gimmicky. All those moving parts in a field that's supposed to not have them. And anyone who'd rather spend 500 bucks on that over an iPad really isn't paying attention to product quality...

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7489488)
Fair play... It looks 'interesting'. It also looks really frickin gimmicky. All those moving parts in a field that's supposed to not have them. And anyone who'd rather spend 500 bucks on that over an iPad really isn't paying attention to product quality...

Or that want a device that can do more than surf the web and play Angry Birds... :D

I am not going to get into the Win7 vs iPad/Android tablet debate... right NOW it's an apples and oranges deal... totally different space...

I just posted that because it is actually a really cool device for $500.. and you asked for an example of one... to compete as a true tablet it would need to be thinner and have better battery life.. (and play Angry Birds)

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7489465)
Repost it, or give me post number, and I'll take a look.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381389,00.asp

Basically states that we are headed toward $49 tablets at some point... you wanna bet that Apple isn't the one selling ANYTHING that cheap?

I think he is exaggerating to make a point.. but I really do see $150-$200 tablets in the near future... and they will likely have all the power of an iPad but manufactured by an Asus or an Acer. And they will make plenty of profit, trust me.

The_Doctor10 03-14-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489319)

Your argument is valid to a point, but the fact that Apple essentially invented the tablet marketplace and developed the tech first gives them a huge advantage as far as buyer trust goes. Sure, all the techies can argue back and forth about the merits of the Xoom vs the iPad or the Blackberry whateverthe****itscalled, but your average person who just wants another cool toy is going to want an iPad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489523)

Basically states that we are headed toward $49 tablets at some point... you wanna bet that Apple isn't the one selling ANYTHING that cheap?

I think he is exaggerating to make a point.. but I really do see $150-$200 tablets in the near future... and they will likely have all the power of an iPad but manufactured by an Asus or an Acer. And they will make plenty of profit, trust me.

Maybe it'll change, but there's a thousand cheaper mp3 players out there that haven't stopped the iPod from having 90% of hard-drive mp3 player sales, and 70% of the total market. Know anybody with a Zune?

Regardless of your opinions on Apple, the general consensus among the masses is that they make quality products. You pay more for quality, and people have accepted that with regard to Apple. Their laptops still aren't competitively priced with similar-spec'd PC laptops, but I don't see the company hurting for money. They've set themselves up for a very secure long-term future, they need to have an absolutely disastrous screwup to damage the public trust at this point.

*Reference for the market share info: http://bindapple.com/how-many-ipods-...old-worldwide/

BigMeatballDave 03-14-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7489408)
2004 likes your style.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave 03-14-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7489488)

Cool. More fanboy smugness. :thumb:

The_Doctor10 03-14-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7489549)
Cool. More fanboy smugness. :thumb:

If it comes down to being smug or bitching that the iPad doesn't have a CD drive... I'll take smug.

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7489534)
Maybe it'll change, but there's a thousand cheaper mp3 players out there that haven't stopped the iPod from having 90% of hard-drive mp3 player sales, and 70% of the total market. Know anybody with a Zune?

*Reference for the market share info: http://bindapple.com/how-many-ipods-...old-worldwide/

The MP3 player market is a unique one.. it was always a toy/gadget.. if tablets STAY in that space then sure Apple can continue to dominate... but we all know that won't be the case. I could also argue that Apple does NOT hold the market share on MP3 players... take the number of iPods+iPhones and compare that to the number of non-Apple phones with MP3 players built in... wanna bet which number is larger? As I stated a few pages back... the only dedicated MP3 players that will survive are the teeny tiny workout versions... hell, look at the massive dropoff in iPod sales recently... anyway, my point being that that was a niche that the big players stayed(mostly) out of until Microsoft (not even a hardware manufacturer) made a big push FAR FAR FAR too late.

ok, back to the actually topic...
Tablet's are NOT mp3 players and unlike iPods... the BIG BOYS are jumping in the water this year... you want a more accurate analogy? Apple dominated PC sales at one point too... then the IBM clones came onto the market and almost wiped Apple off the map entirely. That won't happen here, in my opinion, they will hold onto a solid 15-20% share.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489523)

That article was amazingly uninformative long-range speculation.

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7489534)
Your argument is valid to a point, but the fact that Apple essentially invented the tablet marketplace and developed the tech first gives them a huge advantage as far as buyer trust goes. Sure, all the techies can argue back and forth about the merits of the Xoom vs the iPad or the Blackberry whateverthe****itscalled, but your average person who just wants another cool toy is going to want an iPad.

NO, read Dvorak's article.. that's simply not true... your average Apple person with discretionary cash will want an iPad... but the TRULY average user wants a $200 tablet and that's going to NOT be an Apple product.

AustinChief 03-14-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7489574)
That article was amazingly uninformative long-range speculation.

Did you want specs on shared component costs? I can actually dig that up but damn man... too much work for a stupid internet discussion!

Trust me, Asus and Acer will soon be making cheap tablets and making a profit on them. The hardware may not "feel" as solid (or have as much battery life) but it will perform better and have a better OS and that is all the "average" consumer will care about when it's priced at 50% of an iPad.

oh and "speculation" from Dvorak usually ends up as fact.

BigMeatballDave 03-14-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7489557)
If it comes down to being smug or bitching that the iPad doesn't have a CD drive... I'll take smug.

Who's bitching? I have no use for a tablet. I dont care.

BigMeatballDave 03-14-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489582)
NO, read Dvorak's article.. that's simply not true... your average Apple person with discretionary cash will want an iPad... but the TRULY average user wants a $200 tablet and that's going to NOT be an Apple product.

This x 1000. While I have no use for one, I'd like to have one. If I could buy one for $200, I would. Even if it's an iPad.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7489590)
Did you want specs on shared component costs? I can actually dig that up but damn man... too much work for a stupid internet discussion!

Trust me, Asus and Acer will soon be making cheap tablets and making a profit on them. The hardware may not "feel" as solid (or have as much battery life) but it will perform better and have a better OS and that is all the "average" consumer will care about when it's priced at 50% of an iPad.

oh and "speculation" from Dvorak usually ends up as fact.

Are you really touting Dvorak as a sage on the future of the tablet market?* Choice quotes:

"First of all there is no stylus. And while that is fine for the iPod Touch, people expect to be able to draw on a pad computer in high resolution"

"Give it a handle. Why not?"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358684,00.asp

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/app...ary-2010-01-29

*Granted, he had a ton of company misreading the iPad.

Skyy God 03-14-2011 02:02 PM

Here's a solid market comparison.

Competition is good. But with the iPad being so solid out of the gate and Apple's marketing machine firing on all cylinders, even if you equal Apple on the specs and features front, if you can't beat it on price--by a significant margin--you're in trouble. Tie goes to the incumbent here. And the winner right now is Apple.

Alas, the tablet space isn't the PC space, where Windows still holds a dominant position and PC makers can undercut Apple with lower-priced machines. As it stands, Apple's the dominant player in the nascent tablet space, and it's been able to strike market-leader deals on parts, which has made it very difficult for others to compete.

Nor is this the smartphone space, where carrier choice remains a big factor and more-affordable Android models with impressive features and designs have become very capable alternatives to the iPhone. Also, the BlackBerry remains strong, and there's more differentiation in the smartphone arena, especially when you consider how many people prefer physical keyboards instead of the virtual-only option found on the iPhone.

A tablet, however, is basically a tablet. Maybe there's some potential for a laptop/slate hybrid, but the reality is that the tablet is what it is: a slab with a touch screen, the thinner and lighter the better.

In fact, at this moment in time, the tablet market appears to have more in common with the MP3 player market. You remember that story? The iPod came along and quickly took a big chunk of the market. Sony was too worried about DRM issues to counter with anything. And others, like Creative Labs, offered compelling alternatives, but Creative couldn't outprice or out-market Apple. Microsoft gave it shot with the Zune, and even though the Zune HD was a really nice product, it wasn't better than the iPod Touch--and it wasn't any more affordable.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...#ixzz1GbatUMnZ

AustinChief 03-14-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7489655)
Here's a solid market comparison.

Competition is good. But with the iPad being so solid out of the gate and Apple's marketing machine firing on all cylinders, even if you equal Apple on the specs and features front, if you can't beat it on price--by a significant margin--you're in trouble. Tie goes to the incumbent here. And the winner right now is Apple.

Alas, the tablet space isn't the PC space, where Windows still holds a dominant position and PC makers can undercut Apple with lower-priced machines. As it stands, Apple's the dominant player in the nascent tablet space, and it's been able to strike market-leader deals on parts, which has made it very difficult for others to compete.

Nor is this the smartphone space, where carrier choice remains a big factor and more-affordable Android models with impressive features and designs have become very capable alternatives to the iPhone. Also, the BlackBerry remains strong, and there's more differentiation in the smartphone arena, especially when you consider how many people prefer physical keyboards instead of the virtual-only option found on the iPhone.

A tablet, however, is basically a tablet. Maybe there's some potential for a laptop/slate hybrid, but the reality is that the tablet is what it is: a slab with a touch screen, the thinner and lighter the better.

In fact, at this moment in time, the tablet market appears to have more in common with the MP3 player market. You remember that story? The iPod came along and quickly took a big chunk of the market. Sony was too worried about DRM issues to counter with anything. And others, like Creative Labs, offered compelling alternatives, but Creative couldn't outprice or out-market Apple. Microsoft gave it shot with the Zune, and even though the Zune HD was a really nice product, it wasn't better than the iPod Touch--and it wasn't any more affordable.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...#ixzz1GbatUMnZ

So wrong it's funny... tablets are not MP3 players... ok, actually they ARE right now.. a useful toy... but that is NOT the future. And more importantly none of the big manufacturers ever made any serious push to make MP3 players... it was a niche that had a too short of a window. MP3 players did not eat away at their sales... tablets eventually WILL and because of that, they are jumping in now.

Let's look at the ridiculous "Apple can get parts cheaper" argument... Do you honestly think an A5 will be cheaper than a Tegra2 (Tegra3 in the fall)? RIGHT NOW... the component cost of a Xoom and an iPad2 is almost identical. The iPad2's component cost will drop but not nearly as quickly as the Xoom's will.. mostly because more and more manufacturers will be using the same base components.

We are both "guessing" what the future holds... I am willing to BET that I am right on this...

If there is a $250 tablet with the same specs as the iPad3 out at this time next year... where do you think the market is headed? Do you think Apple will (or even CAN) match those prices?