ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

tk13 07-22-2012 10:11 PM

And I realize I'm about to get hit over the head with a Film Snob stick for making those comments.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8760523)
Heh, it appears the biggest critics of this film and all the Nolan Batman films are the true hardcore comic book nerds.

A lot of guys have a hard time accepting changes or a Different interpretation of something they love. Understandable I guess......

This movie, you either love it or hate it. It has nothing to do with the comics, because people would've had issues with Nolan's interpretations of Year One or The Killing Joke. None of them are seamless and to expect them to be is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The Bad Guy 07-22-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760538)
no one answer this. Watch batman begins, its worth it.

I'm definitely going to. My wife, who has seen it, couldnt remember why that was.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8760550)
I'm definitely going to. My wife, who has seen it, couldnt remember why that was.

Its worth waiting and seeing because this question establishes who Ras al Ghul truly is. If after you watch it and are still lingering PM me I'll be more than happy to fill in any blanks. I just feel you will enjoy the movie more without this info.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8760534)
That's the beauty of it to me though, that's what makes him a great filmmaker. It's hard to surprise people. That's why you go to his movies, to be surprised, awed, and taken away by film. I certainly wouldn't want every filmmaker to do that, obviously. But he does it well. And he's great at keeping his foot on your throat. Instead of one major conflict/resolution he just beats you down and adds problem after problem to overcome, and then when you think the hero has made it over the hump, he'll push it farther.

It's easy to surprise people when it comes in the form of cheap plot machinations.

And for what its worth, I was not one-bit surprised that Miranda Tait was Talia al Ghul. There was lots of speculation in the years leading up to the movie that Marion Cotillard was cast as Talia, and the press junkets really went out of their way to build up Miranda Tait as not-Talia. As soon as Bruce starts tracing that scar on the back of Tait/al Ghul's back I knew where the film was going with her.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8760608)
It's easy to surprise people when it comes in the form of cheap plot machinations.

And for what its worth, I was not one-bit surprised that Miranda Tait was Talia al Ghul. There was lots of speculation in the years leading up to the movie that Marion Cotillard was cast as Talia, and the press junkets really went out of their way to build up Miranda Tait as not-Talia. As soon as Bruce starts tracing that scar on the back of Tait/al Ghul's back I knew where the film was going with her.

Doesn't that mean you ruined the twist by reading spoilers as opposed to taking the film at face value?

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 10:52 PM

I'm sorry, but when a movie is as hyped as this you MUST show one thing and give another. I feel he succeeded in that aspect. Tons of people dug, researched, and predicted. If you want to make your movie successcul you need to go off the script a bit to avoid prediction and expectation.

tk13 07-22-2012 10:53 PM

I can't really argue with that. I usually attempt to go into movies knowing as little as possible. Didn't watch any interviews, only saw the very first trailer, did not read a single review. I pretty much hadn't read any single new piece of information about this film in over 6 months. That's just usually how I like to do it.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760614)
Doesn't that mean you ruined the twist by reading spoilers as opposed to taking the film at face value?

I didn't read any spoilers for this film. Did I read the non-spoiler thread ('Nolan's Batman 3 Title') in the years leading up to the film's release? Sure; people were speculating about Cotillard being Talia just like people were speculating about Joseph Gordon-Levitt being some sort of Robin figure. That both ended up being exactly that didn't diminish the film in any way for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760621)
I'm sorry, but when a movie is as hyped as this you MUST show one thing and give another. I feel he succeeded in that aspect. Tons of people dug, researched, and predicted. If you want to make your movie successcul you need to go off the script a bit to avoid prediction and expectation.

Or you could just trust your characters and storytelling ability and expertise at creating filmic atmospheres, and just make a good movie. That would work for me.

mr. tegu 07-22-2012 11:01 PM

I loved the whole Bane story line and the connections made to the first two movies. And after reading that some people knew the story from the comics, I am really glad I didn't because the reveals at the end, and throughout the movie for that matter (mercenary, etc). were awesome and kept me in suspense.

I also thought it was cool that Wayne left clues to those closest to him that he wasn't dead. This movie didn't have quite as many one liners but one that was great was when Catwoman jumped away without Batman noticing and he says, "so that's what that feels like."

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8760625)
I didn't read any spoilers for this film. Did I read the non-spoiler thread ('Nolan's Batman 3 Title') in the years leading up to the film's release? Sure; people were speculating about Cotillard being Talia just like people were speculating about Joseph Gordon-Levitt being some sort of Robin figure. That both ended up being exactly that didn't diminish the film in any way for me.

Or you could just trust your characters and storytelling ability and expertise at creating filmic atmospheres, and just make a good movie. That would work for me.

I don't know man. To each their own, but I can't help but wonder if that whole fear of death issue we discussed earlier opened your eyes to more holes than I can see. Because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It completed what I wanted and I am glad I didnt read the speculation of who was playing Talia, that probably would've ruined it for me.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8760631)
I loved the whole Bane story line and the connections made to the first two movies. And after reading that some people knew the story from the comics, I am really glad I didn't because the reveals at the end, and throughout the movie for that matter (mercenary, etc). were awesome and kept me in suspense.

I also thought it was cool that Wayne left clues to those closest to him that he wasn't dead. This movie didn't have quite as many one liners but one that was great was when Catwoman jumped away without Batman noticing and he says, "so that's what that feels like."

LMAO that had me cracking up

Raiderhater 07-22-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8760523)
Heh, it appears the biggest critics of this film and all the Nolan Batman films are the true hardcore comic book nerds.

A lot of guys have a hard time accepting changes or a Different interpretation of something they love. Understandable I guess......

I totally get that POV.

That being said, how many different Batman universes exist with in the comic book world itself? People are being a little too up tight about this.

Reaper16 07-22-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8760642)
I don't know man. To each their own, but I can't help but wonder if that whole fear of death issue we discussed earlier opened your eyes to more holes than I can see. Because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It completed what I wanted and I am glad I didnt read the speculation of who was playing Talia, that probably would've ruined it for me.

I liked the movie. I'll probably go see it again. Just because a film is flawed doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it. I like pizza rolls. I like cheesy power metal. I like breezy shows like Burn Notice. And I like ambitious, dark Hollywood films like Nolan's batman trilogy, even if I find them lacking in many respects. I'm really into film, and I have high standards and I'm opinionated, basically.

mdchiefsfan 07-22-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8760657)
I liked the movie. I'll probably go see it again. Just because a film is flawed doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it. I like pizza rolls. I like cheesy power metal. I like breezy shows like Burn Notice. And I like ambitious, dark Hollywood films like Nolan's batman trilogy, even if I find them lacking in many respects. I'm really into film, and I have high standards and I'm opinionated, basically.

Trust me I am merely enjoying the conversation. I enjoy hearing others opinions, I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I just find it fascinating that Batman Begins is top of the trilogy for you. Maybe I need to hear your perspective of that movie, not this one, to understand your reasoning for that ranking.