ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Easy 6 07-30-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9845592)
Just finished The Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson - brilliant.

I've been debating with myself whether or not to rent the movie, on the surface it seems like a win... story by Thompson, starring good pal Depp... but something indefinable has kept me from picking it up.

Maybe i'll give it a shot.

AdumbGuy 07-30-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9845605)
I've been debating with myself whether or not to rent the movie, on the surface it seems like a win... story by Thompson, starring good pal Depp... but something indefinable has kept me from picking it up.

I didn't even know there was a movie. Good to know, will have to check it out too.

Couldn't help reading the whole thing as if Thompson was voiced by Johnny Depp just because of Fear and Loathing in las Vegas.

Iowanian 07-30-2013 03:27 PM

I just finished "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle

I'm now reading "Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan. Yes, high brow for certain.

Easy 6 07-30-2013 09:18 PM

In trying to encapsulate this humongous event, i utterly failed to mention the inimitable Gebhart Von Blucher, head of the Prussian Army... this was a 73! year old Field Marshall, imagine that, an ancient old man... while not a tactician on par with Napoleon or Wellington, he was nonetheless an incredibly tough old buzzard whose contributions were absolutely needed by Wellington, without him the battle is lost.

He had atleast one horse shot from under him at the head of countless charges, was knocked unconcious for several hours, but woke up in a rear area at bed, drank several stiff gin and rhubarbs and at morning was at the head of his men cajoling, joking and spurring them on... and led them on several more horseborn charges... what a ridiculously tough old buzzard he must have been.

Anyone who thrills to ancient combat and loves to learn old history will thrill to that old mans spirit... imagine a 73 year old US commander in this age lol, what an old stud he was.

If you love history, read up on this.

Great Expectations 07-31-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9845605)

The movie is pretty average, the book is fantastic.

HIChief 07-31-2013 12:50 PM

Several titles in the works

I've got several books going (slow-going) at the same time--

A Nation of Sheep--William Lederer
It's Worse Than It Looks
Atlas Shrugged--Ayn Rand
Outliers--Malcolm Gladwell
Terra Nostra--Carlos Fuentes

Big Chief Homer 07-31-2013 02:04 PM

Not really high brow but just finished The Walking Dead "Road to Woodbury" and "Rise of the Governor".

Both good books if you like the TV Show or Comics.

Third in the series comes out in September.

Red Beans 07-31-2013 02:33 PM

Kerouac's The Dharma Bums. It will be the first book I've read for fun since I got my Master's degree. Now if I can just keep from speed reading the goddamn thing.

Dallas Chief 07-31-2013 03:43 PM

Had Lone Survivor in my nightstand for a while. Going to start reading it tonight. Want to have it read before the movie comes out next winter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/...=tt_cl_sm#cast

blaise 07-31-2013 03:56 PM

Sometimes I think there should be a separate book recommendation thread for ones people read and really enjoyed.

Halfcan 07-31-2013 03:57 PM

I have been reading this.

Previews are now available.
http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Annes-Re...s+Revenge+book — with Jeff Wilson.

NJChiefsFan 07-31-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9844460)
Inferno was pretty good, but the twists were a little easier to see than Angels and Demons. It had the best ending of any of his novels; Lost Symbol had a horrible ending.

I've been struggling to finish Atlas Shrugged, I'm about 1300 pages in or 65% finished.

Red Beans, I think you'd really like the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden.

I agree about Inferno. I was comparing it to Angels and Demons more so on structure and it being fast paced while DaVinci Code was more about cool revelations and Lost Symbol was just average. I agree that Symbol left a lot to be desired with the "threat" that existed.

Right about 65% is where Atlas Shrugged really picked up for me. The pace of events really starts to get going, where it's a little more bang-bang than it is in the beginning, where everything is very drawn out. The first half was OK but for a while I didn't know where it was going. The work she does on the characters pays off around the part that you are at. I got through the final third a lot quicker than the first third.

NJChiefsFan 07-31-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9847166)
The movie is pretty average, the book is fantastic.

Where have I heard that before...

keg in kc 07-31-2013 08:32 PM

I think I gave up on Atlas Shrugged after about 2 pages.

Baby Lee 07-31-2013 09:12 PM

Alternating between Larsson's 'Dragon Tattoo' trilogy, and McGuire's 'Wicked' quadrilogy. About 1/2-way through each.

Not highbrow fare but much more engrossing and intelligent than 'beach reading.'