ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-23-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5603263)
Hadn't heard of that one yet but will add it high in my netflix queue. The plot kind of sounds like Au Revoir les Enfants which was outstanding.

I can't really proclaim a great similarity between the two, because it IS an unexplored facet of the era.

I believe it's greatest strength is that it does not specify where the family is, thus allowing for no Historical footnotes or attachments to cloud the impact of the overall moral theme.

Everyone's roles, as a family and as the outside influences that effect that family, are quite possibly the most honest portrayals you'll ever see in this genre.

Now all that said, I have to thank you in a roundabout way for making me aware of the "Righteous Among Nations" honor. That is one powerful phrase, and I will use it at the appropriate time for the appropriate purpose.

kysirsoze 03-23-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5603238)
Since I've had NO desire for a repeat viewing of that movie, I'm gonna' go ahead and agree with you.

It was a nice nostalgia trip, but that's about where it begins and ends.

I'm starting "Let the Right One In" now; looks fairly promising.

I heard this is awesome. Looked creepy as hell.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-23-2009 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 5603275)
I heard this is awesome. Looked creepy as hell.

I'm watching it in Russian, with no subtitles. And so far, it's a great experience and no hindrance whatsoever. The Russians are getting better at this.

Miles 03-23-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5603277)
I'm watching it in Russian, with no subtitles. And so far, it's a great experience and no hindrance whatsoever. The Russians are getting better at this.

Isn't it a Swedish flick? Unless you understand the language I can't see why you would watch without subs? Figure you do get to pay more attention to what is going on with the visuals instead of mostly looking at the bottom of the screen when there is dialog but miss out on much of the story.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-23-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5603278)
Isn't it a Swedish flick? Unless you understand the language I can't see why you would watch without subs? Figure you do get to pay more attention to what is going on with the visuals instead of mostly looking at the bottom of the screen when there is dialog but miss out on much of the story.

Yep, you're right. The accents don't sound Swedish though.

BigMeatballDave 03-23-2009 08:58 AM

Took my son to see Know1ng saturday. Not bad. He liked it. A few scenes were pretty intense.

BigMeatballDave 03-23-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5592821)
That was a shitstain of a movie. God it was awful. And the fight scenes were worse than his wrestling.
Posted via Mobile Device

How did you see it? I didn't think it came out til the 27th. Edit - Oh, you were talking about, 'marine' duh...

Frazod 03-23-2009 10:45 AM

Did anybody see Knowing over the weekend? That looks kind of interesting.

Buehler445 03-23-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5603722)

Looks like BCD did a couple of posts up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445 03-23-2009 11:35 AM

I finally saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It had been on my to do list forever, but finally got around to it.

I thought it was pretty funny. It was pretty original IMO (it should be noted that I don't watch a lot of romantic comedies). I thought it was reasonably well done (except of course the penis to boobies ratio being completely out of whack). I thought the characters did a pretty good job. Mila Kunis did a very nice job. The brittish guy was ****ING HILARIOUS.

Overall, pretty decent. I'd watch it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 03-23-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5603722)

I did. I took my 10 yr old. I think he liked it better than I did. It was what I expected. The irony, I guess, is that I thought it was very predictable, especially the ending. Typical Nicholas Cage. There are 2 disaster scenes that I thought were pretty intense.

BigMeatballDave 03-23-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5603856)
I finally saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It had been on my to do list forever, but finally got around to it.

I thought it was pretty funny. It was pretty original IMO (it should be noted that I don't watch a lot of romantic comedies). I thought it was reasonably well done (except of course the penis to boobies ratio being completely out of whack). I thought the characters did a pretty good job. Mila Kunis did a very nice job. The brittish guy was ****ING HILARIOUS.

Overall, pretty decent. I'd watch it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just got this on blu-ray. Love that flick. Kunis is HOT. Russell Brand is hilarious. Yes, way too much sausage, tho.

Frazod 03-23-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefDave (Post 5603875)
I did. I took my 10 yr old. I think he liked it better than I did. It was what I expected. The irony, I guess, is that I thought it was very predictable, especially the ending. Typical Nicholas Cage. There are 2 disaster scenes that I thought were pretty intense.

So I take it was Nostradamus meets National Treasure? Sounds like I'll wait for the DVD.

keg in kc 03-23-2009 12:43 PM

CHUD basically tore it apart with a review, 4 out of 10 score. Pretty spoilerific, so beware: http://chud.com/articles/articles/18...ING/Page1.html

mikeyis4dcats. 03-23-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5604093)
CHUD basically tore it apart with a review, 4 out of 10 score. Pretty spoilerific, so beware: http://chud.com/articles/articles/18...ING/Page1.html

shockingly Ebert gave it 4 out of 4 stars, and called it the best SciFi movie he's ever seen.