ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU Mizzou Basketball 2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258449)

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9247527)
KU gets that call 100 times out of 100 and you know it... Or were you not watching?

Oh bullshit man....MU won last year in Columbia due to a BS Steve Moore flopping charge on Thomas Robinson so I don't wanna hear that shit. Bad calls happen all the time. Bottom Line: MU didn't play defense worth a shit and if you let a team hang around til the end you have a chance to lose and thats exactly what happened tonight.

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9247530)
I saw flop pressey try to sell a flagrant

That's exactly what I saw too. Good call from the refs...it looked a lot worse than what it actually was. He even stayed on the ground for a min acting like he was seeing tweety bird. great acting job by pressey.

kcchiefsus 12-29-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9247736)
Oh bullshit man....MU won last year in Columbia due to a BS Steve Moore flopping charge on Thomas Robinson so I don't wanna hear that shit. Bad calls happen all the time. Bottom Line: MU didn't play defense worth a shit and if you let a team hang around til the end you have a chance to lose and thats exactly what happened tonight.

Go **** yourself bundle of sticks, then kill yourself. Wait, kill your family first then off yourself.

ImAWalkingCorpse 12-29-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9247746)
That's exactly what I saw too. Good call from the refs...it looked a lot worse than what it actually was. He even stayed on the ground for a min acting like he was seeing tweety bird. great acting job by pressey.

Except he wasn't trying to make a play on the ball. KU get's that call every time.

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 9247797)
Go **** yourself pillowbitergot, then kill yourself. Wait, kill your family first then off yourself.

nice...

:rolleyes:

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAWalkingCorpse (Post 9247942)
Except he wasn't trying to make a play on the ball. KU get's that call every time.

no they don't.

just another little brother syndrome myth that spews from the mouth of a MU fan. That's seriously all it is.

stonedstooge 12-29-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9247992)
no they don't.

just another little brother syndrome myth that spews from the mouth of a MU fan. That's seriously all it is.

Beakers had to have officiating that had officials trying to send them to the line I think it was 42 times last year when Mizzou played at Kansas. So yes, compared to the screwing teams get at The Fraud, this was somewhat weaker

Silock 12-29-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9248012)
Beakers had to have officiating that had officials trying to send them to the line I think it was 42 times last year when Mizzou played at Kansas. So yes, compared to the screwing teams get at The Fraud, this was somewhat weaker

KU was fouled 22 times in Lawrence compared to fouling Missouri 16 times.

Conversely, in Columbia, KU was whistled for 20 fouls, while Missouri was only whistled for 10 the whole game. And there were plenty of terrible calls in Columbia that helped the Tigers out.

Stanley Nickels 12-29-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9248034)
KU was fouled 22 times in Lawrence compared to fouling Missouri 16 times.

Conversely, in Columbia, KU was whistled for 20 fouls, while Missouri was only whistled for 10 the whole game. And there were plenty of terrible calls in Columbia that helped the Tigers out.

In all fairness, even I thought the foul calls at Mizzou arena last year were questionable. However, that remains the only time I can remember where there was an appreciable difference in fouls that leaned in Mizzou's favor, home or away. Part of that is talent- better talent forces poorer defensive play. But college basketball officiating absolutely has a built-in favor for the more marquee teams, and having referees assigned only to specific conferences (see: Pac12 officiating crew, UCLA v Mizzou 2012) only creates an opportunity for officials to protect and bolster the sacred cows within their conference.

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9248049)
In all fairness, even I thought the foul calls at Mizzou arena last year were questionable. However, that remains the only time I can remember where there was an appreciable difference in fouls that leaned in Mizzou's favor, home or away. Part of that is talent- better talent forces poorer defensive play. But college basketball officiating absolutely has a built-in favor for the more marquee teams, and having referees assigned only to specific conferences (see: Pac12 officiating crew, UCLA v Mizzou 2012) only creates an opportunity for officials to protect and bolster the sacred cows within their conference.

That and MU for the last better part of the decade...never goes inside on Kansas because they know better. They've been a perimeter scoring team up until this season where they finally have some size down low. You get the ball inside and attack the basket, you're going to get to the line.

Prison Bitch 12-29-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAWalkingCorpse (Post 9247942)

Why in the world does EVERYTHING about Mizzou sports have to ultimately come back to KU? Can't you live without us? "It gets better...it really does."

Silock 12-29-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9248049)

There was a freakanomics episode about officiating and how it usually favors the home team because of the referees getting intimidated by the crowd. I think KU's raucous atmosphere definitely makes a difference, whereas in arenas where the crowd isn't quite so rambunctious, there is less of a difference in officials' calls.

I know that KU has a couple of referees that really dislike the Jayhawks, like John Higgins.

GloryDayz 12-29-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9248286)
Why in the world does EVERYTHING about Mizzou sports have to ultimately come back to KU? Can't you live without us? "It gets better...it really does."

This...

GloryDayz 12-29-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9248321)
There was a freakanomics episode about officiating and how it usually favors the home team because of the referees getting intimidated by the crowd. I think KU's raucous atmosphere definitely makes a difference, whereas in arenas where the crowd isn't quite so rambunctious, there is less of a difference in officials' calls.

I know that KU has a couple of referees that really dislike the Jayhawks, like John Higgins.

I agree. And I'll add that once a program is labeled "elite" (and KU's is very elite) there's a phenomenon that goes unspoken that those programs, and their elite players, tend to get calls. You can't put your finger on it, but it's as apparant as invisible air, it's just there. Yet people with dilute the argument with "there's a hold on every play," "they neext to protect .....," "they weren't in the right position to make the call," "you have to earn respect," so on and so forth. By the time you're done, the obvious charge under the basket is written of to "letting them play," but 12 seconds later, at the other end of the court, the shadow that touched a players underarm hair is called a shooting foul. A ball that's six inches off the black of the plate is called a strike (Smoltz and Glavine int he 90s [and I'm an Atlanta fan!]), so written off as, "well it's a hitters game, and the camera isn't behind the plate," (not dumbass, it's over it - the best angle!) - and K-zone technology is still written off. Ties at 1st base not being reviewable because, "it'd slow down the pace of the game" (and illuminate the need for electronic help if you want to get the call right)!

So officiating is challenging, I'm the father of a young Football/Baseball/Wrestling "official" who loves it, but has learned how difficult it is. He's also learned how to take a dressing-down by a few coaches and some Moms too.. And at his level, I think it's OK to not have electronic help because of the cost, but when you get into these HUGE money situations, not only should the "help" be dutifully incorporated into the sport, but an open review of the officials should be OK. My God, if politicians can take the heat of open public review, these "real" people should be able to too.

CoMoChief 12-29-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9248321)

Maybe to a point but fans usually don't react unless there's an obvious miss-call.

refs make calls as the action is taking place...and fans react afterwards.

Silock 12-29-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9248453)
Maybe to a point but fans usually don't react unless there's an obvious miss-call.

refs make calls as the action is taking place...and fans react afterwards.

Fans are stupid. They don't have the best view of the action. The ref usually does. Many times, fans boo on completely legit calls.

Spott 12-29-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Well dumbass, this is a Mizzou thread so obviously you can't live without reading about SEC teams that are not your rival and will probably never be playing your team in any sport so apparently you can't live without MU. And it was a halfassed beaker that started talking shit the minute that the game was decided so apparently she can't live without thinking about MU either.

Pitt Gorilla 12-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

What are you doing in an MU thread?

silver5liter 12-30-2012 01:31 AM

Give me negative rep all you want for my opinion. But this clip makes it pretty obvious that it was just one of those quick reach fouls that Pressy tried to sell.

http://i.imgur.com/UleDM.gif
http://i.imgur.com/68okh.gif

redfan 12-30-2012 06:20 AM

When the MU player got T'd up for putting the ball on the floor, the refereeing bias was illustrated.

petegz28 01-05-2013 04:33 PM

This team is weak and stupid. They are going to lose at home to Bucknell. How ****ing sad.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:40 PM

Coming down to the wire.

Pepe Silvia 01-05-2013 04:41 PM

Is Quin Snyder coaching again? Jeez

Pepe Silvia 01-05-2013 04:44 PM

Here comes the BS 3 from midcourt range.

O.city 01-05-2013 04:44 PM

Pressey is hands down the best passing PG in the country and he can score. Seems to try and score a little too much at times.

MU needs someone other than Pressey to be the scorer.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9285464)
Here comes the BS 3 from midcourt range.

That's been their game so far.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:46 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:48 PM

Would have been nice if Bell would have dunked against UCLA.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:48 PM

Aaaaaand we can't rebound.

Trevo_410 01-05-2013 04:49 PM

for some reason frank haith doesn't believe rebounding is important in these situatiosn so he never plays oriaki

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:50 PM

Wow

petegz28 01-05-2013 04:50 PM

We just got lucky. He was out but he also traveled. MU deserved to lose this game, I hate to say it

Trevo_410 01-05-2013 04:51 PM

and we need to get to the free throw line better.... 2 games and hardly any opposing team fouls at the end of the second half...

petegz28 01-05-2013 04:51 PM

I swear they spent half the 1st period throwing up shots with 30 secs left on the shot clock

Pepe Silvia 01-05-2013 04:52 PM

Unreal.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:52 PM

Please make...

Pepe Silvia 01-05-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9285495)
We just got lucky. He was out but he also traveled. MU deserved to lose this game, I hate to say it

If that were a big name school the ref misses that call. lol

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:53 PM

Please make again...and foul

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:53 PM

FOUL

petegz28 01-05-2013 04:54 PM

I'd foul here...just quick, put them at the line with no shot at 3

O.city 01-05-2013 04:54 PM

I'm always leary of fouling, but I think at home I'd probably play it out.

O.city 01-05-2013 04:55 PM

The ol Valpo play there.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 04:56 PM

Whew

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9285495)

True, but Bucknell isn't the type of school that can beat a good school.

Pepe Silvia 01-05-2013 04:56 PM

Got lucky.

phisherman 01-05-2013 04:57 PM

Kind of a close one there.

O.city 01-05-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9285526)
True, but Bucknell isn't the type of school that can beat a good school.

I see what you did there.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2013 05:05 PM

Thoughts on that game...

1) Bucknell doesn't have a big name, but it's a good team. Muscala is a legitimate interior player and they play well around him.

2) Missouri might have gotten lucky with Muscala stepping out of bounds, but how many lucky shots did Bucknell make in the 2nd half (high off the rim, banking it in when not trying, etc)? Evens out, IMO.

3) Glad that's the last really long break they have this season. You could see some rust.

4) I like keeping Ross on the floor at the end - his combo of size/athleticism is a nice thing to have out there. But I think that it would be good to go to Oriakhi instead of Bowers. Get a little more beef and reboudning/shot blocking out there.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 05:06 PM

Mu's not a top25 team.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9285571)
Mu's not a top25 team.

More of a top 10 team.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 05:10 PM

Como fail all over the place

petegz28 01-05-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Mu's not a top25 team.

I won't go that far

petegz28 01-05-2013 05:15 PM

This team needs to be more disciplined on the offensive side. Quit the quick shooting, work the ball around and the clock. They need to pound the ball inside a lot more than they are.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9285613)
This team needs to be more disciplined on the offensive side. Quit the quick shooting, work the ball around and the clock. They need to pound the ball inside a lot more than they are.

Pounding it inside is going to be tough (or tougher) if Mizzou doesn't shoot well enough from the perimeter to keep teams from packing it in. They didn't in this game, and Bucknell sagged inside all game.

Bowers is also the only guy who really is a consistent threat to score when you throw it in to him. Oriakhi is not a great back-to-basket scorer/option.

I think this team misses Criswell. His energy/skill/defense/rebounding were a really nice option off the bench. And his mobility would give Mizzou a much better matchup against the bigs it has seen in the past two games.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2013 05:26 PM

That said... I know Haith wants Pressey to shoot when he's wide open, but I'd rather him pull it out, probe again, and shoot deeper in the shot clock.

petegz28 01-05-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9285643)
Pounding it inside is going to be tough (or tougher) if Mizzou doesn't shoot well enough from the perimeter to keep teams from packing it in. They didn't in this game, and Bucknell sagged inside all game.

Bowers is also the only guy who really is a consistent threat to score when you throw it in to him. Oriakhi is not a great back-to-basket scorer/option.

I think this team misses Criswell. His energy/skill/defense/rebounding were a really nice option off the bench. And his mobility would give Mizzou a much better matchup against the bigs it has seen in the past two games.

Did I miss something? What happened to Criswell?

Spott 01-05-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Mu's not a top25 team.

Yeah they are. They are ranked #12.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9285667)
Did I miss something? What happened to Criswell?

He broke his finger against SC State. That's why he hasn't played the past two games. He should be back soon - they thought he MIGHT be able to play today. The cast is off, from what I saw on the sideline.

That's also why Ross has been getting a lot of time in 4-guard sets in the past two games.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9285673)

completely overrated.

duncan_idaho 01-05-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9285699)
completely overrated.

You're trolling as usual, but please list 12 teams you feel are better. Just to see if you have the stones to do it.

It hasn't been noted in this thread that RPI and Sagarin both love Bucknell. They're No. 30 in the RPI right now, and only Kentucky, Florida, Missouri and Ole Miss are higher in Sagarin amongst SEC teams.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2013 06:48 PM

MU scheduled them as a sick joke to rub it in on us!!!!!/Beakers

Captain Obvious 01-05-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Mu's not a top25 team.

Let's see your top 25, tough guy.

Saul Good 01-05-2013 07:59 PM

Illinois beat Ohio State by 19 today.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-05-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9286301)

Neat.

KcMizzou 01-05-2013 08:04 PM

Tough, hard fought win. Can only help in the long run.

petegz28 01-05-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9286301)

That should help MU's SoS, etc.

Prison Bitch 01-05-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9285737)
It hasn't been noted in this thread that RPI and Sagarin both love Bucknell. They're No. 30 in the RPI right now, and only Kentucky, Florida, Missouri and Ole Miss are higher in Sagarin amongst SEC teams.

Good win for MU today.

However, Sagarin doesn't know anything. I'd avoid using Sagarin to prove any point you might have. Especially using Sagarin to discuss strengths of SEC teams. I wouldn't do it. Waste of time. That's what I've been told.

mnchiefsguy 01-05-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9286473)
Good win for MU today.

However, Sagarin doesn't know anything. I'd avoid using Sagarin to prove any point you might have. Especially using Sagarin to discuss strengths of SEC teams. I wouldn't do it. Waste of time. That's what I've been told.

So all of the KU fans who posted about Sagarin non stop last year were full of it?

Mizzou_8541 01-05-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9285737)
You're trolling as usual, but please list 12 teams you feel are better. Just to see if you have the stones to do it.

Don't waste your time. He hasn't watched Mizzou play, he's trolling - as per his S.O.P.

Prison Bitch 01-05-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9286499)
So all of the KU fans who posted about Sagarin non stop last year were full of it?

I'm joking about all the MU fans saying Sagarin football ratings this year don't matter.

mnchiefsguy 01-05-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9286321)
Tough, hard fought win. Can only help in the long run.

Yep. I am excited about the conference schedule. I think Mizzou has the chance to do really, really well in conference play.

petegz28 01-05-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9286541)
Yep. I am excited about the conference schedule. I think Mizzou has the chance to do really, really well in conference play.

Probably but they have to improve on their ball control. They are throwing up too many undisciplined shots too often. They aren't working the ball back and forth and they are taking way, way, way too many quick shots.

Pitt Gorilla 01-06-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Mu's not a top25 team.

LMAO

kcchiefsus 01-06-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9286531)
I'm joking about all the MU fans saying Sagarin football ratings this year don't matter.

Go kill yourself.

Al Bundy 01-06-2013 08:50 PM

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/ind...picks-missouri

Mizzou picked up a huge commitment as they received a verbal from one of the nation’s premier JUCO big men on Sunday morning in Keanu Post.

The SWIC big man has received interest from coast to coast because of his size at 6’11” and considerable upside.

Post will join an already stellar trio of four-star high school prospects in power forward Torren Jones, power forward Jonathon Williams, and guard Wes Clark.

The commitment was confirmed by SWIC assistant coach Robert Belleville

Captain Obvious 01-06-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9290364)
http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/ind...picks-missouri

Mizzou picked up a huge commitment as they received a verbal from one of the nation’s premier JUCO big men on Sunday morning in Keanu Post.

The SWIC big man has received interest from coast to coast because of his size at 6’11” and considerable upside.

Post will join an already stellar trio of four-star high school prospects in power forward Torren Jones, power forward Jonathon Williams, and guard Wes Clark.

The commitment was confirmed by SWIC assistant coach Robert Belleville

That's a big get. Literally.

Saul Good 01-07-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9285673)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9285699)
completely overrated.

#10 in the latest poll.

duncan_idaho 01-07-2013 01:33 PM

Post's commitment probably pushes this back to a top 15 class. Could be top 10 if JW3 gets a bump from his HS season and is a top 25-30 player again (he was top 25 originally, fell during his junior year because of injuries).

Haith continues to prove me wrong.

Only question left at this point is how his teams will do/look without Pressey to run the show. Wes Clark/Jordan Clarkson will have some big shoes to fill next season. I think Anton Beard, who's a 2014 kid, will excel in this system, though. Just need to bridge the gap to him...

Pitt Gorilla 01-07-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9292469)
Post's commitment probably pushes this back to a top 15 class. Could be top 10 if JW3 gets a bump from his HS season and is a top 25-30 player again (he was top 25 originally, fell during his junior year because of injuries).

Haith continues to prove me wrong.

Only question left at this point is how his teams will do/look without Pressey to run the show. Wes Clark/Jordan Clarkson will have some big shoes to fill next season. I think Anton Beard, who's a 2014 kid, will excel in this system, though. Just need to bridge the gap to him...

haith's retooling of the team after losing Dixon at the start of the season has been amazing.

Captain Obvious 01-07-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9292528)
haith's retooling of the team after losing Dixon at the start of the season has been amazing.

But they are clearly not a Top 25 team./JokeMO