ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Who is ready for College Hoops? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265836)

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9479882)
Wasn't it 57-50 with like 8 minutes left? Damn.

Yep. Fla went on a total drought and now it's going to cost them.

UK up two with 10 seconds left and inbounding the ball.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9479229)
That's nice, but championships over the past 10 years:
SEC: 3
BE: 3
ACC: 3
B12: 1
B10: 0
P10: 0
MWC: 0
MVC: 0
A10: 0
CUSA: 0
WCC: 0

Even if you ignore the fact that the tournament is a major crapshoot, that isn't an accurate gauge of overall conference strength for obvious reasons.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 01:11 PM

The best road win Florida has all year is at LSU. That seems to represent a problem for them.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9477960)
The conference ranks of the B12 and B10 by the average AdjO and AdjD of their teams:

B10: .8465
B12: .8360

I'm sorry to say, but the B10 has been the slightly better basketball conference over the last 10 years according to this measure.

Of course, it is a complete fallacy to say that the B12 has been bad or that there haven't been any other NC threats other than KU.

Just last year, MU was one of the best teams in the NCAA and Baylor made the E8. In 2010, both Baylor and KSU were among the best teams in the NCAA (ranked 6 and 7 in KenPom and both made the E8). In 2009, Blake Griffin pushed an OU team to the E8. And in 2008, Texas was a top 10 team that also went to the E8. Before that, Kevin Durant had Texas as one of the better teams in the country as well.

Take the top performer out of each of those stats and I guarantee the Big 10 will outdistance the Big 12. Honestly, KU has always been a big fish in a little pond. I am sorry it sticks in so many craws, but it is a fact. If it weren't, your conference would have held together even after your football competition fell to the SEC.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9479946)
Take the top performer out of each of those stats and I guarantee the Big 10 will outdistance the Big 12. Honestly, KU has always been a big fish in a little pond. I am sorry it sticks in so many craws, but it is a fact. If it weren't, your conference would have held together even after your football competition fell to the SEC.

Also know as your opinion.

Difficult to differentiate the two, eh?

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

If you took the top performer in that, it would be KU and they would destroy anything the B10 could bring to the table. So I assume that's not quite what you meant.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9479324)
Bill Self recruited great players at Tulsa. Then he recruited greater players Illinois. I have little doubt he absolutely would have pulled MU into greatness. The guy can recruit like a MF'er. And he can coach a little bit too.

I have no doubt he would have improved the team as well. I don't think he would have led them to final fours or a championship. KU is a blessing that has helped a great coach, but he would not have had the same teams or opportunities in Columbia.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9479953)
Also know as your opinion.

Difficult to differentiate the two, eh?

I guess I should have been more clear for the rest of the crowd.

It is clear that the conference has severe balance issues when teams beg to leave constantly.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9479959)
I guess I should have been more clear for the rest of the crowd.

It is clear that the conference has severe balance issues when teams beg to leave constantly.

Conference re-alignment has jack shit to do with basketball. But you know that.

Kansas running basketball didn't force MU and A&M to the SEC. Football and money did.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:32 PM

BTW, if you want to enjoy competitive basketball where both teams aren't frightened to score points, flip it over to the KSU/OSU game.

Two of the Big 12's "small fish in the small pond" are playing a very fun game.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9479965)
Conference re-alignment has jack shit to do with basketball. But you know that.

Kansas running basketball didn't force MU and A&M to the SEC. Football and money did.

Failure for your big teams in your conference to perform up to previous standards in football did set it in motion - That wasn't the sole reason. Had other solid programs existed, you would have enjoyed teams wanting to join your conference (like mine) instead of stealing away in the dead of night.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9479982)
Failure to perform up to previous standards in football did set it in motion. That wasn't the sole reason. Had other solid programs existed, you would have enjoyed teams wanting to join your conference (like mine) instead of stealing away in the dead of night.

Enjoy riding the coat-tails of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State football I suppose.

Nobody came calling to join your basketball conference. It was there, but it wasn't important in the grand scheme of things. That is what we're talking about here afterall, right?

Our respective basketball conferences?

If you want to argue the B1G is a more successful and powerful conference over-all, you'll get no argument from me. But in basketball Kansas is far from a "big fish in a small pond". If you want to continue to believe that, fine.

Bearcat 03-09-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Not really... they aren't Memphis, going undefeated in conference 4 years in a row (or whatever) ~5 years ago and winning the CUSA by 4 games each season. They might share the conference title this season with another top 10 team, like they have a couple of other times.

And I don't think it's sticking in anyone's craw... the only reason it was brought up was because it was a defense for B1G basketball being boring. Knowing Kansas has a good shot at the conference title every season is anything but boring, and outside of a couple of seasons, the conference title has come down to a game or two. A little more parity would make it more interesting, but not so much when just about every team looks the same.

Titty Meat 03-09-2013 01:44 PM

Bruce Webber got fired because he couldn't win games in the B1G and now he's about to win a share of the B1G 12. Case closed roll again.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9480011)
Enjoy riding the coat-tails of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State football I suppose.

That would have meant something if it came from a fan of a team that didn't ride the coattails of so many great southern football teams over the last few decades.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:47 PM

And KCWolfman, as a KU fan, we all love to over value the importance of our basketball program to the general viability of the Big 12. Truth is, Texas and OU football are driving the bus and we'll just have to settle for being really, really good at basketball. Football is and will always be more important. Not to say basketball isn't tremendously popular and March Madness is the best play-off in any sport, but it just doesn't hold a conference together on its own.

Maybe you Indiana fans are similar in that regard. I don't know that you've ever had a football program worth a shit, and your basketball program used to be great, but isn't anymore. So you can pound your chest about being in a great conference, but what has your school done lately in any regard athletically in major men's sports to build that conference up?

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9480033)
That would have meant something if it came from a fan of a team that didn't ride the coattails of so many great southern football teams over the last few decades.

See last post, plz.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:51 PM

KSU v. OSU

36-30 at half.

Been a great first half.

Smart and Nash are hard to stop. Just so, so good.

Pablo 03-09-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9480015)
Not really... they aren't Memphis, going undefeated in conference 4 years in a row (or whatever) ~5 years ago and winning the CUSA by 4 games each season. They might share the conference title this season with another top 10 team, like they have a couple of other times.

And I don't think it's sticking in anyone's craw... the only reason it was brought up was because it was a defense for B1G basketball being boring. Knowing Kansas has a good shot at the conference title every season is anything but boring, and outside of a couple of seasons, the conference title has come down to a game or two. A little more parity would make it more interesting, but not so much when just about every team looks the same.

I can agree with all of this.

Bearcat 03-09-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9480026)
Bruce Webber got fired because he couldn't win games in the B1G and now he's about to win a share of the B1G 12. Case closed roll again.

Uh, maybe you could compare what he did early on at Illinois, since he's basically doing the same thing at KSU? :spock:

Pablo 03-09-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9480106)
Uh, maybe you could compare what he did early on at Illinois, since he's basically doing the same thing at KSU? :spock:

It's billay. He can't even spell Weber's name correctly.

Don't worry about his opinion.

Bearcat 03-09-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9480125)
It's billay. He can't even spell Weber's name correctly.

Don't worry about his opinion.

The whole conference pride thing is just kind of odd. I want the Big 12 to be good for Kansas' sake... better SoS, more entertaining games, more big tests going into the tournament, etc.... not so every other team has a good shot at conference titles and NCs. I kind of pull for B12 teams in tournaments and bowl games, but to be all "oh yeah, my conference rivals have won more NCs than your conference rivals!" is kind of weird.

BWillie 03-09-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9480038)
And KCWolfman, as a KU fan, we all love to over value the importance of our basketball program to the general viability of the Big 12. Truth is, Texas and OU football are driving the bus and we'll just have to settle for being really, really good at basketball. Football is and will always be more important. Not to say basketball isn't tremendously popular and March Madness is the best play-off in any sport, but it just doesn't hold a conference together on its own.

Maybe you Indiana fans are similar in that regard. I don't know that you've ever had a football program worth a shit, and your basketball program used to be great, but isn't anymore. So you can pound your chest about being in a great conference, but what has your school done lately in any regard athletically in major men's sports to build that conference up?

I will say this though, based on interest level football isnt ahead of basketball by thaaat large of a degree. Its just that the BCS has figured out how to distribute the football money more efficiently to successful schools. Any Duke, UNC, KU, UK fan should absolutely despise the current model for college basketball and reject the NCAA tournament. This is the main reason basketball is much less important than football in conference realignment.

Pablo 03-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9480188)
I will say this though, based on interest level football isnt ahead of basketball by thaaat large of a degree. Its just that the BCS has figured out how to distribute the football money more efficiently to successful schools. Any Duke, UNC, KU, UK fan should absolutely despise the current model for college basketball and reject the NCAA tournament. This is the main reason basketball is much less important than football in conference realignment.

I can't reject the tourney. I love it. Although I understand if basketball were to adhere to a BCS style then KU would probably have more NC's.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 03:29 PM

Duke is ranging from a 1.5-2 point fav. right now on the road at UNC. I still think UNC takes them.

Ultra Peanut 03-09-2013 04:17 PM

DJ Stephens is such an amazing story, and alternately one of the most heartwarming and mind-****ingly incredible athletes I've ever seen and -- brb, gonna cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWLV9M4Oms

Here is an inevitably too short retrospective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuS3oOCLG3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyFv7Erfes8

Maybe the best dunk I've ever seen, and I'm not referring to the first one.

And more:

It's going to be so weird next year, not seeing him on the floor doing stuff like this basically every game.

Mr. Plow 03-09-2013 04:21 PM

Gotta love guys that have to turn basketball conversations into football conversations when they can't handle it.

Rams Fan 03-09-2013 05:02 PM

HOW 'BOUT THEM SLU BILLIKENS?

WHERE THE **** IS THE LOVE?

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-09-2013 05:11 PM

I hate Phil Pressey and hope he ****ing dies.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 07:11 PM

Big 10? Low scoring games? Less than 60 points?
Ouch!

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 08:11 PM

Good start for UNC. Down 12-0 in 3 minutes. Figure your team's shit out, Roy.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 08:22 PM

26 points in 8 minutes for Duke. OK, then.

R8RFAN 03-09-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9481417)
26 points in 8 minutes for Duke. OK, then.

Shooting 81% :huh:

Ultra Peanut 03-09-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9480683)
HOW 'BOUT THEM SLU BILLIKENS?

WHERE THE **** IS THE LOVE?

Grats~

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 09:01 PM

Gonzaga only up 1 on a team at half that had 1 win in the WCC. And this is Lunardi's overall #1. College basketball is ****ed up this year more than normal.

KCWolfman 03-09-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9481518)
Gonzaga only up 1 on a team at half that had 1 win in the WCC. And this is Lunardi's overall #1. College basketball is ****ed up this year more than normal.

I like it so much more. The #1 spot has been a curse for everyone this year.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 11:32 PM

Well, I was way off. Duke gets their first decent road win and UNC doesn't even bother to show up. Duke's looking pretty good for the overall #1.

KCWolfman 03-10-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9482049)
Well, I was way off. Duke gets their first decent road win and UNC doesn't even bother to show up. Duke's looking pretty good for the overall #1.

That was an ugly dominated game. I hope you didn't take the points.

TribalElder 03-10-2013 11:50 AM

MIAA tournament championship on channel 62 at 1pm today

University of Central Missouri vs Northwest Missouri State

Edit

Remove my hex

KevB 03-10-2013 12:19 PM

First 5 minutes of Creighton/WSU is arguably the worst 5 minutes of college basketball I've ever seen.

Ceej 03-10-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9482835)
First 5 minutes of Creighton/WSU is arguably the worst 5 minutes of college basketball I've ever seen.

You must have missed a lot of the KU/TCU game.

KevB 03-10-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9482843)
You must have missed a lot of the KU/TCU game.

Both teams combined to go 0-15 to start the game. Pretty sure TCU side felt pretty good about that KU/TCU game.

Ceej 03-10-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9482857)
Both teams combined to go 0-15 to start the game. Pretty sure TCU side felt pretty good about that KU/TCU game.

Obviously.

Ceej 03-10-2013 12:58 PM

Great finish to the first half.

Coach 03-10-2013 01:02 PM

Should be a very enertaining 2nd half.

Ceej 03-10-2013 01:58 PM

Tough to win when Demetric Williams and Cleanthony Early don't show up.

Stewie 03-10-2013 02:14 PM

Creighton/WSU is getting interesting.

Ceej 03-10-2013 02:19 PM

Holy shit.

Coach 03-10-2013 02:22 PM

Terrible coaching by Marshall. You have two time outs. Use it, numbnuts.

Ceej 03-10-2013 02:22 PM

Pretty good ballgame.

TribalElder 03-10-2013 02:27 PM

Mules Win in OT!

LiveSteam 03-10-2013 02:28 PM

Blue Jays

Ceej 03-10-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9483179)
Blue Jays

Wragge and Manigat were on fire.

No Demetric Williams or Early at all.

Good win Jays.

Congrats

alanm 03-10-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9483183)
Wragge and Manigat were on fire.

No Demetric Williams or Early at all.

Good win Jays.

Congrats

What's sad is that it very well may be the last game Creighton plays in the Valley. :(

Ceej 03-10-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 9483193)
What's sad is that it very well may be the last game Creighton plays in the Valley. :(

Agreed.

Where are they thinking about going again?

Rams Fan 03-10-2013 02:43 PM

SLU is the outright A10 champion with VCU's loss.

Gonna go cry try tears of happiness now.

alanm 03-10-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9483207)
Agreed.

Where are they thinking about going again?

The Catholic school league. Which will become the Big East I guess. As always it's all about the $$$.

Ceej 03-10-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 9483322)
The Catholic school league. Which will become the Big East I guess. As always it's all about the $$$.

Man.

I can't even keep up with all of these conference relocations.

What proposed teams will make up that conference?

alanm 03-10-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9483324)
Man.

I can't even keep up with all of these conference relocations.

What proposed teams will make up that conference?

The new league, which will keep the Big East name, will consist of the Catholic 7: Georgetown, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence, DePaul, St. John's and Villanova. Xavier and Butler are also expected to join the league from the Atlantic-10. And the league could expand further, perhaps to include Creighton and/or Saint Louis, among other candidates. According to multiple sources, espn, CBS sports ect. it's Creighton.

Coach 03-10-2013 04:17 PM

Wow. Crazy ending and dumb coaching moves in the Indiana/Michigan game...

Mr. Flopnuts 03-10-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 9483468)
Wow. Crazy ending and dumb coaching moves in the Indiana/Michigan game...

Incredible.

KCWolfman 03-10-2013 04:25 PM

Kansas scores less than 60, Duke easily beats the spread, and Indiana wins in Ann Arbor. What a great day in sports, right guys?

KC_Connection 03-10-2013 05:44 PM

Unbelievable that Michigan choked that game away.

KCWolfman 03-11-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9483663)

I will take it. Kinda like KU did against Iowa St., only without the referee's help.

KC_Connection 03-11-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9484350)
I will take it. Kinda like KU did against Iowa St., only without the referee's help.

ISU didn't choke any game away, EJ just went and took it with the best performance of any NCAA player all year. It ended up winning a 9th straight title for KU.

KCWolfman 03-11-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9484353)
ISU didn't choke any game away, EJ just went and took it with the best performance of any NCAA player all year. It ended up winning a 9th straight title for KU.

Shared title, with the help of a few bogus calls.

KC_Connection 03-11-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9484359)

Shared, outright, whatever qualifier you want to put on it, they all count the same in the trophy case. In the end, it was just another notch on the belt of the best college basketball program in America over the last 10 years.

KC_Connection 03-11-2013 01:16 AM

This series of posts in this thread reminded me of a post I made earlier this year:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=2412

Quote:

Average KenPom position of programs over last decade:

KU: 6.1
Duke: 6.5

Wisconsin: 14.7
North Carolina: 15.2 (three #1 ratings over this time, but 2010 season where they missed the tournament and 2013 season holding them back from KU/Duke).
Louisville: 16.0
Pittsburgh: 18.4
Florida: 18.5
Kentucky: 18.7 (blame Gillespie, they're 6.7 in four years under Cal)
Michigan St.: 19.1
Syracuse: 21.5
Texas: 22.7
UConn: 23.9
Ohio St.: 25.4 (13.7 under Matta)

Gonzaga: 30.1
Georgetown: 33.1
Arizona: 34.9
West Virginia: 36.9
KSU: 41.5
UCLA: 44.3
Missouri: 48.6

Indiana: 71.2

Pants 03-11-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9484383)
This series of posts in this thread reminded me of a post I made earlier this year:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=2412

Damn.

KC_Connection 03-11-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9484384)
Damn.

Yeah, that's KU.

And that down there is Indiana.

KCWolfman 03-11-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9484382)
Shared, outright, whatever qualifier you want to put on it, they all count the same in the trophy case. .

LOL, qualifiers were fine when you were mentioning Indiana's win when being the only program to beat Michigan at Ann Arbor this year. Certainly one of the most impressive wins in all of the NCAA this year, barring TCU's greatest win in the 20 year RPI history.

KCWolfman 03-11-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9484388)
Yeah, that's KU.

And that down there is Indiana.

Ahh, the qualifier is the ten year mark, I didn't realize and I apologize. I thought since my last successful season was Mike Davis taking Bobby Knight's team to the Championship game in 2002 the past wasn't relevant.

Well you are certainly correct, IU has suffered under Mike Davis and Kelvin Sampson. And unlike Larry Brown, Kelvin didn't steal a championship while breaking NCAA rules. But Crean has obviously brought back good play, great in state recruiting (keeping Zeller instead of losing him like his brother to Roy was a great stride), and an even greater prospect of the future to Bloomington. IU should be back to center for quite awhile to come with Crean at the reins.

The last 10 years certainly belong to you. Enjoy them, you have earned them. But tonight we will be talking about seeds in 2013, of which Indiana's current situation will carry much more weight with the NCAA officials than KU's last decade.

Bearcat 03-11-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9484359)

Parity... keeps things entertaining in the Big 12.

DaKCMan AP 03-11-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Billy Donovan's lessons
Originally Published: March 8, 2013
By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

One day, Florida's Billy Donovan was jogging when he passed a woman sobbing on a curb.

He ran past. A couples of miles later, he hit his halfway mark and turned around. On the way back, she was still sitting there, weeping. He had practice to plan, a pile of paperwork on his desk and game tape to watch, but he just couldn't run by her twice.

He sat down next to her and asked, "What's wrong?"

"We just lost a child," she wailed. "And now my husband and I are having troubles. And I … we … just don't know where to turn!"

Donovan knew.

In 2000, he lost a child himself, a baby named Jacqueline, killed by her own umbilical cord.

"You go into a hospital," Donovan says, "and a doctor tells you the child inside your wife is dead and they're prepping her for delivery. And then they take you into a room and three people are asking you to pick out a tombstone and a cemetery. And you walk back up to the maternity ward and there are balloons everywhere that say, 'It's a boy! It's a girl!' and people are full of joy and you're just totally disconnected and devastated. So I knew what she was going through. I invited her to our house. We tried to help her."

You can say Billy Donovan was a disaster as a Wall Street trader. You can point out he was one-and-done as a New York Knick. But you can't say he wasn't born to teach.

He seems particularly good at teaching college men the game of basketball. At only 47, Donovan already has 445 wins going into Saturday's game with Kentucky, not to mention four Elite Eights and back-to-back national championships. At this rate, if he coached until 70, he would end up with 984 wins, which, as you read this, would be the most in college basketball history.

"Nine hundred?" laughs Donovan, whose Gators just clinched the SEC title. "Oh, my god, I'm already exhausted and you want me to get to 900?"

Besides, then what?

"I love what I'm doing," he says, "but when my time is done, I don't want to look back and see that I left a path of destruction with a bunch of trophies thrown in. I don't want to be some old gray-haired coach sitting there with a ton of wins but no friends."

Maybe that's what makes Donovan different from so many of the Florsheim-stomping coaches today in college basketball. Maybe that's why Donovan stays inside his kettle while so many others blow. Maybe that's why he answers the rare Kenny Boynton air ball in practice with: "Hey, somebody shut the doors! It's messing up Kenny's shot!" Maybe that's why he wants his dad, Bill, Sr., at as many practices as he an get, and why his son, Billy III, is a Gators walk-on. He knows those red-faced, jacket-throwing coaches too well. He was one of them.

"I used to come back from a tough road loss, 1 or 2 in the morning, and go straight to the office and pull an all-nighter trying to figure out what went wrong. Or I'd close the door of my office at home and watch tape. My highs were too high and my lows were too low."

Now, like John Wooden, he stays as even as Alligator Alley.

"You talk about a guy who's won two national championships," says Buzz Williams of Marquette, "and yet he still looks you in the eye and says, 'How are you doing?' There are a lot of guys in our business that don't do that. Sometimes they think they win because of who they are."

Once Donovan realized that whether he won or lost wouldn't tremble the cosmos, he started teaching it to others -- such as his former neighbor across the street, a guy named Urban Meyer. Imagine that: One block, four national championship trophies. Meyer nearly cracked under the pressure of what he'd built, retiring and unretiring, his boot tangled in the stirrup of a beast he couldn't get off.

"We talked a lot," Donovan says of Meyer, now the head football coach at Ohio State. "You start to realize that the trophy brings you nothing of real value. Nothing, really. The joy in coaching is helping a group of kids accomplish something they couldn't accomplish by themselves."

This offseason, Erik Spoelstra, head coach of the defending NBA champion Miami Heat, enrolled at the University of Donovan. Spoelstra spent seven hours grilling Donovan on how to repeat.
Seven hours? Seriously?

"I told Erik, 'You've got to enjoy the journey. You're not in the NBA Finals. You're at ground zero.

"After you win [a championship], all of a sudden it's not about whether you won, it's 'Did you win by enough points?' You've got to start all over, enjoy the process, the struggles, the joys, the pain."

No wonder Donovan tends not to panic about making the past two Elite Eights but no Final Fours. After those losses, he didn't go back to the tape room and pull his Eddie Munster haircut out. He has learned to accept both the cruelty and kindness of fate. If Casey Calvary doesn't come out of nowhere to tip in a crazy bounce for Gonzaga in '99, Florida makes the Elite Eight. If Georgetown doesn't miss a wide-open jumper in the 2006 semifinal, Florida doesn't go on to win the national title.

"You have to take both ends of it. You have to realize so much of it is just luck, the breaks of life."

Like a child dying suddenly in the womb?

"Yes. In the end, I had to accept that it was just a freak accident. I had to believe something good would come out of it."

Since Jacqueline died, he has been helping to raise funds for a new children's hospital at the university. He has helped a group called the Little Bits of Honey Memorial Fund that covers the cost of infant funerals for couples who can't afford them. And he's been open to teaching from his own deep wounds, even curbside.

Turns out he was right. Something good did come out of it. Billy Donovan himself.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...onovan-lessons
Billy D is Awesome. So glad he's our coach.

frankotank 03-11-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9480038)

I don't get it.
what am I missing here?
SHIRLEY you aren't saying this about IN basketball? ARE YOU?
I just cracked up at first and then starting thinking what an insane comment that would be considering they will probably be a 1 seed.....so I must be misunderstanding something here....

frankotank 03-11-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9483663)

free throws......they're HARD. JFC!
just unbelievable.
I had to laugh at Indianas last basket....a lame prayer air ball and Oladipo catches the sonofabitch and puts it in at the buzzer.......SHIT!

lets see....Robinson misses a point blank layup which he coulda dunked, is fouled, and misses free throws. Hardaway blows a 1 and 1. Burke blows a 1 and 1. how many opportunities do you need guys?

oh well. great game. AND they scored more that 50 points! :LOL:

Pablo 03-11-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9484713)
I don't get it.
what am I missing here?
SHIRLEY you aren't saying this about IN basketball? ARE YOU?
I just cracked up at first and then starting thinking what an insane comment that would be considering they will probably be a 1 seed.....so I must be misunderstanding something here....

Yes. I was saying that about an Indiana program that's been nothing to talk about for a decade.

Prison Bitch 03-11-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9484857)
Yes. I was saying that about an Indiana program that's been nothing to talk about for a decade.

Two, actually.

Pablo 03-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9485007)
Two, actually.

Fair enough.

frankotank 03-11-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9484857)

the "isn't anymore" part is where you lost me.
IN has been down for the count for quite some time, but I do believe they're back. they used to be great.....and now will be a 1 seed. not too shabby.