ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 10:06 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per Statcast, Royals&#39; average exit velocity with RISP is 83.4 mph. Second worst in baseball. That is a lot of soft contact.</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/854725738091753475">April 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

doomy3 04-19-2017 10:51 AM

Raul Mondesi has been brutal. No argument, but he's a 9 hole hitter who we expected to be overmatched.

Eric Hosmer is a far bigger problem right now, IMO. He has to start coming through with runners on base, and has to quit rolling over on everything. He's killing us in the cleanup spot.

Prison Bitch 04-19-2017 11:14 AM

Someone needs to just tell Hoz: "hey now, you're an All Star. Get your game on go play"

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 12830686)
Raul Mondesi has been brutal. No argument, but he's a 9 hole hitter who we expected to be overmatched.

Eric Hosmer is a far bigger problem right now, IMO. He has to start coming through with runners on base, and has to quit rolling over on everything. He's killing us in the cleanup spot.

Hosmer and Gordon are bigger problems because they are veteran stars who aren't producing, and there's almost nothing you can do about it. Realistically, you're not going to bench them for any period of time. You just have to hope they snap out of it, and big time.

However, Mondesi is a problem you CAN do something about, starting with not letting him hit with the game on the line in a season in which you are supposedly trying to win as many games as possible in the last hurrah for a veteran group, the core of which could be traded if they don't win enough games by the trade deadline.

Just because Mondesi isn't THE problem doesn't mean he's not A problem, and one that CAN be addressed fairly easily, since half our roster consists of second basemen.

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 01:58 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whit Merrifield is starting at second base tonight.</p>&mdash; Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) <a href="https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/854778454277070853">April 19, 2017</a></blockquote>

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 02:00 PM

The good news: Mondesi out.

The bad news: Orlando in. He's actually been worse than Mondesi.

Difference is Orlando has a track record of some positivity with the bat. Hopefully he's due.

WhawhaWhat 04-19-2017 02:09 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Royals Tonight: Gordon 7, Moustakas 5, Cain 8, Hosmer 3, Perez 2, Merrifield 4, Escobar 6, Cuthbert DH, Orlando 9 (LHP Vargas)</p>&mdash; Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) <a href="https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/854779264729853956">April 19, 2017</a></blockquote>

CaliforniaChief 04-19-2017 02:10 PM

It's Madison Bumgarner at the K. I know I'm scarred, but what's the point?

mr. tegu 04-19-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12830939)
The good news: Mondesi out.

The bad news: Orlando in. He's actually been worse than Mondesi.

Difference is Orlando has a track record of some positivity with the bat. Hopefully he's due.

The good news though is that if Merrifield performs then it sets up that he could stay at second and Soler could replace Orlando in the field when he is ready instead of automatically having Merrifield get sent back to the minors.

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12830974)
The good news though is that if Merrifield performs then it sets up that he could stay at second and Soler could replace Orlando in the field when he is ready instead of automatically having Merrifield get sent back to the minors.

I think that's the likely scenario. I bet that over the next 10 days or so, while Soler rehabs, Mondesi becomes Jarrod Dyson: pinch-runner and start a couple of games a week.

Deberg_1990 04-19-2017 03:44 PM

I really like the versatility that Whit brings to the team.

Why cant they drop Colon over Merrifield?

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12831051)
I really like the versatility that Whit brings to the team.

Why cant they drop Colon over Merrifield?

They could, but they would really "drop" him -- he's got no options left, so he'd have to be DFA'd. I bet some team would pick him up as a backup IF.

Although, Josh Vernier on the 610 postgame last night was pretty confident that the clock is ticking on Colon; he all but said he's done in KC, and it's just a short matter of time.

siberian khatru 04-19-2017 03:57 PM

BTW, seen Matt Strahm's line at Omaha so far?

5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

He's eligible to be recalled Friday.

Deberg_1990 04-19-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12831068)
They could, but they would really "drop" him -- he's got no options left, so he'd have to be DFA'd. I bet some team would pick him up as a backup IF.

Although, Josh Vernier on the 610 postgame last night was pretty confident that the clock is ticking on Colon; he all but said he's done in KC, and it's just a short matter of time.

Not to sound too mean, but if we DFA him, it's really no loss. Must be a money thing?

lewdog 04-19-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12831071)
BTW, seen Matt Strahm's line at Omaha so far?

5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

He's eligible to be recalled Friday.

As I mentioned, I am far from concerned about Strahm.

His stuff is fantastic. He just needs to control his nerves and I think he will be totally fine.