ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Giving Every Kid a Trophy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285353)

Setsuna 08-20-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 12377718)
I attended my first youth soccer game today. My sons team won 24-1.

I made him do 10 push-ups because they let the other team score.

Not really but I did offer the suggestion to the coach to keep the kids humble and working.

Do they play actual positions?

Renegade 08-20-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12377168)
Even if you're not fast, it's nice to finish. Plus, if you do a lot of races you can build up a good collection. Here's my Participation Wall.

You should call it your finishers wall. You only get the medal if you cross the line. T-shirts are for participating.

Nice Collection Rain Man.

jjchieffan 08-20-2016 04:09 PM

My daughter is in a private school that is a part of our church. They have an awards ceremony at the end of the year and the little kids always get a trophy for something, usually a character award. Last year she moved to the next age group and did nothing to earn a trophy, so she didn't get one. She was upset and thinking that she had done badly because she didn't get one. I explained to her that trophies are earned and that if she wants a trophy that she needs to work for it. She took it to heart. School started last week and she has been hitting her schoolwork hard. I have never seen her this determined. Why did that happen? Because nobody handed her a silly trophy that she didn't earn. This is what the ridiculous participation trophies take away. Did my daughter get her feelings hurt? Yes. And it was a character building moment. This is how we grow our children. Why can't people understand that?

Rain Man 08-20-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 12377409)
There's nothing wrong with participation trophy's as long as the winners and runners up get the real hardware. Kids know the difference so it's not teaching them anything good or bad.

I think this is the way to go.

Rain Man 08-20-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 12377839)
You should call it your finishers wall. You only get the medal if you cross the line. T-shirts are for participating.

Nice Collection Rain Man.

Good call. It is now officially my Finisher's Wall.

Iowanian 08-20-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12377750)
Sounds like your kids soccer coach is a dick.

Hey!!! My kids are winners! That's why we named them Walker and Texas Ranger. If we wanted a couple of sissies, we would have named them Dr Quinn and Medicine woman.

No, the opposite in fact and he told them at half time they couldn't kick a goal without passing twice. There were several reminders about sportsmanship.

I know nothing about soccer. Another of the kids had a game today and it was a little different. I know nothing about positions but it didn't suck to watch these kids play as bad as an feared it would. The 2nd had a goalie and another defender that stayed back in front of them.

Young kids, their first game ever, no goalie.

Demonpenz 08-21-2016 12:45 AM

Participation awards are good at showing how important it is to show up. Most of college was just showing up 15 minutes early and acting like you gave a ****.