ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9827974)
It's a classic example of the archaic line of thinking in football. It's the most resistant of all American sports to change, and it is run in the least intelligent manner. The fact of the matter is that 8 or 10 games of Danario Alexander is worth more than 16 games of a replacement level player, but teams resist signing players like that for dirt cheap because they buy into moronic truisms like Bill Parcells' "You can't help the club from the tub."

"Can't be a reserve WR if you can't play ST." -- fuddy duddy NFL GMs

On this Winters kid... his rating and lack of offers are due to his size, I think. Most teams aren't interested in a LB that size.

If they can get him to 225 LBs or so without losing the athleticism, he probably will be a pretty effective college player, even if he's too small to play in the NFL at LB.

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9828120)
New commit,

http://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/foo...xA2bR52dgas5B4

5.7 rating wooooooooooooooo exciting!

oh wait, he's a dexter mccluster without speed.

yay go tigers.

:harumph:

Don't place too much stock in reported/recorded 40 times on a Rivals profile. He ran that before his junior year. Most guys - even little ones - get faster as they get older and stronger.

Also... had a Tennessee offer.

beer bacon 07-22-2013 08:00 PM

Lee ran a 4.45 40 this summer. That was probably hand timed, and he probably isn't that fast. Even so, he's fast.

|Zach| 07-22-2013 08:04 PM

Looking forward to the season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9828120)
New commit,

http://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/foo...xA2bR52dgas5B4

5.7 rating wooooooooooooooo exciting!

oh wait, he's a dexter mccluster without speed.

yay go tigers.

:harumph:

http://rewd.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...y-girl-gif.gif

O.city 07-22-2013 08:27 PM

So, what ends up being the "killshot" to the Gary Pinkel era in Columbia? And who comes next?

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 08:51 PM

The 5-7 record this year will be the killshot. I'm thinking we lose to IU on the road and win the Tennessee and Kentucky games. This team probably has a 7 win ceiling if everything goes right, and in the case of a stumble, 3-9 is a definite possibility.

Mizzou will likely target a low BCS coach about to be shitcanned.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9828303)
The 5-7 record this year will be the killshot. I'm thinking we lose to IU on the road and win the Tennessee and Kentucky games. This team probably has a 7 win ceiling if everything goes right, and in the case of a stumble, 3-9 is a definite possibility.

LMAO It's funny because it's probably true (though I think we lose to Kentucky and win @Vanderbilt).

Sorter 07-22-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

I can't envision MU losing to Indiana on the road.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9828399)
I can't envision MU losing to Indiana on the road.

I couldn't envision us losing to Vanderbilt or Syracuse at home last year, but we managed.

Sorter 07-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9828415)
I couldn't envision us losing to Vanderbilt or Syracuse at home last year, but we managed.

I thought those 2 were plausible.

The Vandi one was last minute. I definitely thought Syracuse would come out with a win though, especially as the season progressed and Franklin turned into Black Cassel.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Thats why they might as well not even fire Pinkel, I mean seriously who are they going to get, no decent coach will go to Mizzou?

Chiefspants 07-22-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Mangino's looking for work.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9828453)
Thats why they might as well not even fire Pinkel, I mean seriously who are they going to get, no decent coach will go to Mizzou?

Perhaps Missouri would be able to, just once, pick a young, up-and-comer who doesn't have a debilitating cocaine habit. Who was Hugh Freeze two years ago? Was Kevin Sumlin somehow an impossible get for Missouri? At one point Urban Meyer turned Bowling Green and Utah into winning programs before he left for Florida, and Utah largely stayed that way.

Those kinds of guys are out there, and they aren't as impossible to find as people seem to suggest.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9828453)

I think you might be surprised.

SEC job (carries weight - look at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Miss. State, Vanderbilt)
Willingness to pay $2.5 million+
Willingness to spend equal amount on assistants
Large land-grant school with no in-state rivals
Decent in-state talent, not great
Ability to make recruiting inroads in Texas, Florida, and pitch elite talent in Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana on playing in the SEC and still being close to home

It's not a better job than Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee, but it is a better job now than it was in the Big 12.