ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

KCUnited 12-08-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6328389)
Orange County Chopper BBQ opens in Village West

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1616762.html

New barbecue restaurant combines meals with motorcycles

By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star
To take on Kansas City barbecue — and succeed — you’d better be prepared.

Count the new Backfire BBQ Featuring Orange County Choppers — three years in development — as well-prepared. The new restaurant and retail shop kicked off with a grand opening Monday in the Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kan.

So chow down and let the barbecue debate begin.

“Backfire BBQ is bikes, burgers and barbecue. And it is a phenomenal collection of antique cars, antique jukeboxes, phenomenal neon signs,” said Steve Schussler, creator of Backfire BBQ as well as T-Rex Cafe, also in the Legends, and Rainforest Cafe, among other concepts.
“We have some of the most unusual decor that you will see in Kansas City, and what you don’t see, which is behind the scenes, is one of the world’s largest smokers.”

Backfire BBQ has gone full throttle, developing a menu under the culinary direction of Chicago’s Levy Restaurants, which oversees such award-winning restaurants as Spiaggia and Bistro 110 in that city.

“We spent a whole year testing food in their laboratories. So it is more about the food than the decor,” Schussler said. “You can’t think that your taste buds are going to be overwhelmed by the decor.”

The 8,300 square-foot operation at 1855 Village West Parkway (just 20 yards from T-Rex) seats 300 people amid custom-built choppers by Orange County Choppers, an open flame “hog pit,” 14 plasma televisions and artwork. It will have live music Thursday through Saturday nights.
Everything but the chocolate cake is made in-house, including the pickles, salad dressings, barbecue sauces, doughnuts (made to order and tossed tableside in cinnamon and sugar), apple cobbler and fried green tomatoes.
Backfire BBQ uses organic and local foods when possible.

Other menu items include chipotle deviled eggs, spiced barbecue shrimp, chili, a variety of burgers, meatloaf, salads, steak, catfish, and, of course, barbecue — ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken — all cranked up on a smoker with a 1,400-pound capacity.

There’s even a s’mores kit that allows customers to make the marshmallow and chocolate treat at the restaurant or at home.On Monday, Paul Teutul Sr., chief executive officer of Orange County Choppers, and his two sons were at the grand opening. The stars of the television series “American Chopper” plan to stop several times a year.
Schussler chose the barbecue and bikes combination because it reminds him of the freedom of the open road.

“We’re in a barbecue town, and we said to ourselves, ‘OK, dare we open up barbecue in a barbecue town?’ ” he said. “The only way that you can do barbecue in a barbecue town — and a town that’s done barbecue well — is to be better. And we are so confident, not cocky confident, mind you, but we are so confident in our barbecue that I dare anybody to come in and not have our brisket melt in your mouth, our ribs fall off the bone.”

I'd say run them out of town but realized they're in Kansas anyway.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 6328402)
I'd say run them out of town but realized they're in Kansas anyway.

ROFL:clap:

Just give me a shady part of town and the smell of hickory, and I'm good to go.

CHIEFS58 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

Jack Stacks ribs were heaven.

Reaper16 12-08-2009 01:50 PM

I'm going to go to Backfire BBQ and I expect disaster.

cookster50 12-08-2009 02:06 PM

Nothing says BBQ like Chicago consultants!

Phobia 12-08-2009 02:38 PM

My write-in is any backyard BBQer who has a partial understanding of slow smoking, dry rubs, and when to use sauce. Yes, that includes me but it also includes hundreds of other regular Joes in and around the area. It's not rocket science.

Fish 12-08-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6328389)
Orange County Chopper BBQ opens in Village West

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1616762.html

New barbecue restaurant combines meals with motorcycles

The new restaurant and retail shop....

Schussler chose the barbecue and bikes combination because it reminds him of the freedom of the open road.

This sounds like a cheap and hollow marketing campaign. And I hate those Orange County Chopper guys. Does this restaurant actually care about BBQ, or are they just trying to make another trendy expensive place to take your monies?

Monty 12-08-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 6329351)
My write-in is any backyard BBQer who has a partial understanding of slow smoking, dry rubs, and when to use sauce. Yes, that includes me but it also includes hundreds of other regular Joes in and around the area. It's not rocket science.

Yes! I'm on the list!! :D

BTW, your brisket on Sunday was OUTSTANDING!!!

Reaper16 12-08-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

You're correct but its unfair. The poll is clearly asking for places of commercial operation. I can't just drive to your house and expect to buy food from you.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6329185)
I'm going to go to Backfire BBQ and I expect disaster.

But why? It sounds so perfect, authentic, and non-corporate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 6329260)
Nothing says BBQ like Chicago consultants!

Or a rib joint inspired by three mechanics from Jersey!

Woot! WOOT I SAY!

tooge 12-08-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

does that include pork "pulled" in a blender? ;)

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 6329456)
Yes! I'm on the list!! :D

BTW, your brisket on Sunday was OUTSTANDING!!!

Thanks. I enjoyed it too. The burnt ends off that were amazing. It got a little more crispy than I wanted trying to keep the heat up in the cold temps but it really made the burnt ends legitimate.

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6329730)
does that include pork "pulled" in a blender? ;)

Why not? I know you competition boys laugh at me putting the pulled pork in a food processor but I like the fluffy texture. Plus it makes it look like there's double the meat. You have to take some risks to innovate and that's one of mine.

Phobia 12-08-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6329493)
You're correct but its unfair. The poll is clearly asking for places of commercial operation. I can't just drive to your house and expect to buy food from you.

If you give me 48 hours notice you can.

Stewie 12-08-2009 05:24 PM

When the focus is on things that aren't related to serving good food it's bound to fail. I may be proven wrong, but I bet their Q is average at best. That's alot of money invested to serve mediocre food.