ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football 538 Calls Tom Brady the 43rd Clutchest Postseason QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289920)

Ming the Merciless 01-13-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11268348)
LMAO Are you serious?

Yes

Would you like to make a Sig bet on it?

Loser wears a Sig created by the winner until draft day

Hootie 01-13-2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11268353)
Sorry but any poll where eli manning is #1 and tom Brady is #43 and there's a bunch of lesser players in between is utter garbage.

gotta actually read the article, bro

he refines everything and Brady ends up at #6

the point of the thread was to discuss the idea that Brady never has had enough weapons, yet:

with a replacement level QB playing his postseason games, the expected record would have been 12.6 - 13.4 (because his teams were always so good)

whereas Peyton in the same scenario would have had teams that went 8 - 16 (because he was their entire team)

Ming the Merciless 01-14-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11268356)

Sorry I couldn't finish when I read the part about eli manning being #1 and something about the chess elo system (which is used for individuals and only gets really accurate AFTER about 25 games) being used for teams ...with 16 game seasons... Terrible idea

Hootie 01-14-2015 12:10 AM

Meh.

Just read an article about football and posted it on a football board. Found it interesting that Tom has always gotten an excuse for not having enough weapons, yet without Tom, his teams (according to research done by Nate Silver) would have gone 12.6 - 13.4 with a replacement level QB in postseason games started by Tom Brady (and finished).

That's it.

But no one wanted to talk about it. Fair enough!

Chiefspants 01-14-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11268364)
Meh.

Just read an article about football and posted it on a football board. Found it interesting that Tom has always gotten an excuse for not having enough weapons, yet without Tom, his teams (according to research done by Nate Silver) would have gone 12.6 - 13.4 with a replacement level QB in postseason games started by Tom Brady (and finished).

That's it.

So Tom's at a +6 while Peytun is at a +3?

Sounds about right.

Just Passin' By 01-14-2015 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11268364)
Meh.

That's it.

You didn't even read the entire article, I'm assuming.

1.) He starts with his own made up underlying stats/formulas (ELO ratings).

2.) After his first formulaic attempt produced "ridiculous" results by his own admission, he made up another formula and adds it into the mix.

3.) He estimates (his own words) - "In the case of Peyton Manning’s teams, I estimate that pulling Manning would hurt them by about a touchdown (7 points) per game."

4.) He offers no evidence that the Patriots teams were usually better, instead just making a blanket statement, and then pointing only to the Cassel year. "They might not have been totally hopeless. Brady has usually had a little bit more talent surrounding him than Peyton Manning has. (Matt Cassel, who rates as somewhere between average and replacement-level, led New England to an 11-5 record when Brady was hurt in 2008.)". In other words, he used raw numbers, ignoring SOS and the fact that Brady took a team to something that had never been done before (16-0), and sang the praises of 11-5 under Cassel, instead of killing the drop from Manning to Painter, when Cassel's played at a far higher level than Painter (In other words, he's a better than replacement player himself, if Painter is truly replacement level).

Also, since I believe you have saying that clutch does not exist, you must have completely missed this part, where he makes it abundantly clear that he believes clutch does, indeed, exist:

Quote:

This is also not to say that clutch quarterbacking doesn’t exist. As my colleague Benjamin Morris has repeatedly documented, some quarterbacks — including Peyton Manning — consistently manage the game better in clutch situations, such as during a fourth-quarter comeback drive. Indeed, clutchness is so intrinsic to quarterbacking that it’s hard to distinguish a clutch QB from a good QB.

In short, to paraphrase a great movie: You keep using that article. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Now, is your nonsense done for this thread, or are we going to see that, once again, Hootie gotta Hootie?

KC native 01-14-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11268355)
Yes

Would you like to make a Sig bet on it?

Loser wears a Sig created by the winner until draft day

No, Hootie's love for Peyton Manning means he literally can't shut up about it.

ndws 01-14-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11268356)

he refines everything and Brady ends up at #6

the point of the thread was to discuss the idea that Brady never has had enough weapons, yet:

with a replacement level QB playing his postseason games, the expected record would have been 12.6 - 13.4 (because his teams were always so good)

whereas Peyton in the same scenario would have had teams that went 8 - 16 (because he was their entire team)

So basically, when you rely on a single player entirely too much in a TEAM oriented game, it doesn't turn out so well? Shocking.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-14-2015 11:59 AM

I'll just leave this here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ramming-league

Perineum Ripper 01-14-2015 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11268897)

He should not talk anymore

WhiteWhale 01-14-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 11268270)
People often forget during the Manning/Brady debate that Tom has had on his side probably the greatest coach of all time.

It sure as hell isn't 'probably'. It's 'arguably' and I would argue against Belichick as the greatest coach of all time, I can guarantee you that.

Baby Lee 01-14-2015 05:39 PM

Boom.

EDIT: Dammit CP, your clock is a minute off.

MTG#10 01-14-2015 06:57 PM

http://oi62.tinypic.com/353av7q.jpg