ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals Official 2017 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305574)

Frazod 07-09-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12949306)
Pirates hung 10 on the Cubs in the top of the 1st.

Jesus Christ. LMAO

jd1020 07-09-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12949306)
Pirates hung 10 on the Cubs in the top of the 1st.

Been awhile since I've watched a game. It's absolutely amazing to me how the **** this team is even close to .500.

With those 10 1st inning runs I believe that puts them at 80 for the season. And they've trailed in all but like 20 games this season. It's beyond pathetic.

Pretty amazing what losing David Ross, a backup catcher, and Dexter Fowler can do to a team.

Worst part about it is that the FO sounds like they are going to ****ing panic and grab a rental catcher in Alex Avila. How much is it going to cost to get 2 months of a catcher hitting for .900 OPS? And for what? This team needs about 3 playoff caliber pitchers and a leadoff man that possesses the ability to steal bases and create offense outside of homeruns. There's zero chance that a ****ing part time catcher is going to elevate the team and put them in a position to compete with the Dodgers or Nationals.

I would rather them sell Davis to the Nationals. He's the Cubs only player for the AS game and he's been perfect in save opportunities. The Nationals have a god awful bullpen and Davis would easily be the best closer available on the market. I doubt they could get an offer like the Yankees go for both Chapman and Miller, but even if they could get Fedde and Soto that would be amazing.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12949451)
Been awhile since I've watched a game. It's absolutely amazing to me how the **** this team is even close to .500.

With those 10 1st inning runs I believe that puts them at 80 for the season. And they've trailed in all but like 20 games this season. It's beyond pathetic.

Pretty amazing what losing David Ross, a backup catcher, and Dexter Fowler can do to a team.

Worst part about it is that the FO sounds like they are going to ****ing panic and grab a rental catcher in Alex Avila. How much is it going to cost to get 2 months of a catcher hitting for .900 OPS? And for what? This team needs about 3 playoff caliber pitchers and a leadoff man that possesses the ability to steal bases and create offense outside of homeruns. There's zero chance that a ****ing part time catcher is going to elevate the team and put them in a position to compete with the Dodgers or Nationals.

I would rather them sell Davis to the Nationals. He's the Cubs only player for the AS game and he's been perfect in save opportunities. The Nationals have a god awful bullpen and Davis would easily be the best closer available on the market. I doubt they could get an offer like the Yankees go for both Chapman and Miller, but even if they could get Fedde and Soto that would be amazing.

No, seriously, y'all want Fowler back?

Sure, fine, hit hits on occasion. Whatever. I CANNOT HANDLE WATCHING HIM COAST IN THE OUTFIELD ANYMORE!!!!!

Dexter...they don't get to the gap as easily if you actually ****ING RUN AFTER THE BALL! Oh, and when you actually get to it, try THROWING it back, not this lollygagging Jon Jay looper crap.

The guy just doesn't give a good god damn on defense at all and it drives me insane.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-09-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12949451)

I wouldn't bitch too much. If the Indians didn't implode in the WS, you're still staring at that century-plus long streak of ineptitude. Theo brought in some great hitters and got extremely fortunate that Arrieta un****ed himself and pitched out of his skull for about a year and a half while Kyle Hendricks simultaneously rode unbelievable batted ball luck when he's really just a #3 starter with marginal stuff.

jd1020 07-09-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12949466)
No, seriously, y'all want Fowler back?

Sure, fine, hit hits on occasion. Whatever. I CANNOT HANDLE WATCHING HIM COAST IN THE OUTFIELD ANYMORE!!!!!

Dexter...they don't get to the gap as easily if you actually ****ING RUN AFTER THE BALL! Oh, and when you actually get to it, try THROWING it back, not this lollygagging Jon Jay looper crap.

The guy just doesn't give a good god damn on defense at all and it drives me insane.

Nope.

I've always thought Fowler was overrated. His defense has never been good, he just managed to look serviceable in one of the smallest CF's in MLB. And I've never really understood the "speed threat" label he gets either. With how often he got on base last year, you would think a speed threat would steal more than 13 ****ing bases.

Cardinals overpaid for an outlier offensive year and a belief that he turned a corner defensively but didn't take into account the area he was asked to cover.

jd1020 07-09-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12949470)
I wouldn't bitch too much. If the Indians didn't implode in the WS, you're still staring at that century-plus long streak of ineptitude. Theo brought in some great hitters and got extremely fortunate that Arrieta un****ed himself and pitched out of his skull for about a year and a half while Kyle Hendricks simultaneously rode unbelievable batted ball luck when he's really just a #3 starter with marginal stuff.

Indians didn't implode. They lost to a better team. The Cubs saved themselves embarrassment and thankfully the AS game still decided homefield advantage because if they had to play 4 games in Chicago they would have lost. Putting Schwarber in the lineup forced Maddon to not be a ****ing reerun with the lineup and using Bryant as a table setter, like he is using him again this season, and Rizzo 3rd.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-09-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12949486)
Indians didn't implode. They lost to a better team. The Cubs saved themselves embarrassment and thankfully the AS game still decided homefield advantage because if they had to play 4 games in Chicago they would have lost. Putting Schwarber in the lineup forced Maddon to not be a ****ing reerun with the lineup and using Bryant as a table setter, like he is using him again this season, and Rizzo 3rd.

The Cubs weren't actually as good as you claim, though. Have Arrieta and Hendricks pitch to their true talent levels and the Cubs are a lot closer to a 90 win team than a 105 win juggernaut.

A lot of teams (2013 Red Sox) look a lot better than what they are when seven or eight guys stack career years simultaneously.

jd1020 07-09-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12949495)
The Cubs weren't actually as good as you claim, though. Have Arrieta and Hendricks pitch to their true talent levels and the Cubs are a lot closer to a 90 win team than a 105 win juggernaut.

A lot of teams (2013 Red Sox) look a lot better than what they are when seven or eight guys stack career years simultaneously.

Ya you're right. They were just the best team in baseball from the first game to the last game. They had historically good defense. The best pitching staff in baseball. And an entire infield of All-Stars.

Kluber and Miller were the only things the Indians had going for them in the playoffs and if it weren't for the Cubs going full reerun against Tomlin, the series would have been over in 6 and Kluber would have never had the chance to pitch a 3rd game.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-09-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12949499)
Ya you're right. They were just the best team in baseball from the first game to the last game. They had historically good defense. The best pitching staff in baseball. And an entire infield of All-Stars.

Kluber and Miller were the only things the Indians had going for them in the playoffs and if it weren't for the Cubs going full reerun against Tomlin, the series would have been over in 6 and Kluber would have never had the chance to pitch a 3rd game.

It wasn't actually the best staff in baseball. It was a staff of guys stacking aberrational years on top of one another. They had the lowest BABIP in baseball by 30 points. That's not all attributable to defense, nor is the fact that they had the highest strand rate in the game.

They're on pace to save 50 fewer defensive runs than last year despite returning everyone but a backup catcher and a subpar defensive CF, and their 2017 numbers would be in line with their 2015 numbers.

The Cubs have and have had very good defense and pitching, but it is not elite as you suggest, even if the numbers masqueraded as such last year. It's no different than the Cardinals' fluke years with RISP in 2013 or ERA in 2015.

jd1020 07-09-2017 02:34 PM

Whatever you have to tell yourself. A bunch of pre-arbitration players had career years last season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-09-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12949541)
Whatever you have to tell yourself. A bunch of pre-arbitration players had career years last season.

Lester and Hendricks did. Arrieta continued pitching above his talent level before slowly returning back to Earth near the season's end. That's 60% of your starts. That, combined with aberrational defense makes a big difference.

jd1020 07-09-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12949552)
Lester and Hendricks did. Arrieta continued pitching above his talent level before slowly returning back to Earth near the season's end. That's 60% of your starts. That, combined with aberrational defense makes a big difference.

Jon Lester has just been one of the best pitchers in baseball his entire career.

Arrieta wasn't even Arrieta last year, just a FYI.

Kyle Hendricks came back down to earth yet he holds a career ERA of just over 3 with a career WHIP of just over 1. And out dueled Clayton Kershaw in the deciding NLCS game and shouldn't have been taken out in game 7 of the WS as early as he was. His BABIP is literally just .009 points higher this year. The difference is not his ****ing BABIP. The difference is he's throwing 85mph fastballs, he was touching 91 last year, and he's lost that off balance change of speeds on his changeup because of it and his strikeouts are down and HR's are up.

You literally dont have a clue about anything related to the Cubs.

I mean... I'm talking to a guy who thinks a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players had career defining seasons.

Frazod 07-12-2017 08:03 AM

:)

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...ce&oe=59F86741

VAChief 07-12-2017 09:20 AM

That was one of the better A/S games even without the "now it counts" no longer a factor.

It had some of that old 70's and 80's old school feel to it. It will never be like that totally anymore with inter-league play.

I know it will never happen, but I think it would actually help to go back to only regular season games in your league. It makes the Series feel more authentic in my opinion. I hate the DH rule, but I would trade that for getting rid of inter-league play.

DJ's left nut 07-12-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 12954010)
That was one of the better A/S games even without the "now it counts" no longer a factor.

It had some of that old 70's and 80's old school feel to it. It will never be like that totally anymore with inter-league play.

I know it will never happen, but I think it would actually help to go back to only regular season games in your league. It makes the Series feel more authentic in my opinion. I hate the DH rule, but I would trade that for getting rid of inter-league play.

So in exchange for not having the NL play the AL anymore, you'd essentially eliminate the NL?

Because I would make literally every possible concession imaginable up to and including making them play in ****ing skirts with advertising all over them in order to ensure that the DH doesn't come to the National League.

If you'd accept the DH into the NL in order to avoid interleague play, you don't really 'hate the DH rule'. Because interleague is, at worst, a passing annoyance for what, 20 games/season? The DH, OTOH, would goddamn ruin the national league.

****ing stupid softball rule.

VAChief 07-12-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12954016)
So in exchange for not having the NL play the AL anymore, you'd essentially eliminate the NL?

Because I would make literally every possible concession imaginable up to and including making them play in ****ing skirts with advertising all over them in order to ensure that the DH doesn't come to the National League.

If you'd accept the DH into the NL in order to avoid interleague play, you don't really 'hate the DH rule'. Because interleague is, at worst, a passing annoyance for what, 20 games/season? The DH, OTOH, would goddamn ruin the national league.

****ing stupid softball rule.

I agree, I probably should have stated it similarly to playing in skirts. My main point is it adds nothing and takes away a lot. I grew up despising the American League, even before they went all in with Charlie Finley baseball.

VAChief 07-12-2017 10:01 AM

I'm surprised there isn't more heat on Piscotty. His numbers have trended down in every area. I hope they won't let that 6 year extension (no matter how reasonable the numbers are) cloud their judgement on putting the best product out there.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-12-2017 10:21 AM

The Little League's DH is an abomination

raybec 4 07-12-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12954059)
The Little League's DH is an abomination

For sure, the DH is baseball for fatsos

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 10:05 AM

Jose Quintana to the Cubs.

{shrug}

We aren't good anyway and at least for a short period of time, the Cubs appear to no longer have the ability to squirrel away 2 or 3 good hitters in the minors who are better than all but our best 1 or 2. They've finally cleaned out the system a bit. Jimenez is a hell of a power prospect and Cease is impressive in his own right (to whatever extend an A ball pitcher can truly be impressive).

But Theo's still there, so it'll be better than ours again well before Quintana's contract has expired....

jd1020 07-13-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12955326)
Jose Quintana to the Cubs.

{shrug}

We aren't good anyway and at least for a short period of time, the Cubs appear to no longer have the ability to squirrel away 2 or 3 good hitters in the minors who aren't better than all but our best 1 or 2. They've finally cleaned out the system a bit. Jimenez is a hell of a power prospect and Cease is impressive in his own right (to whatever extend an A ball pitcher can truly be impressive).

But Theo's still there, so it'll be better than ours again well before Quintana's contract has expired....

Not a fan of the trade at all.

Full panic mode to try and win a shit division only to get swept by the Dodgers in the playoffs because 1 pitcher isn't going to change shit. Especially Quintana who isn't even a TOR guy.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955329)

Full panic mode to try and win a shit division only to get swept by the Dodgers in the playoffs because 1 pitcher isn't going to change shit. Especially Quintana who isn't even a TOR guy.

I'm curious to know if Jimenez has more trade value than Schwarber at this point. I think he might.

The Schwarber for Fulmer trade offer I understood - Schwarber just isn't an OFer and he's going to hurt himself again out there. He needs to be in the AL. But Schwarber couldn't get Fulmer and I'd imagine if he was enough to get Quintana, they'd have made that move.

By dealing Jimenez, they sure seem to be committing to Schwarber in LF for the foreseeable future, no? Which seems to me to be...unwise.

As for whether or not it will matter - if he pitches 12 strong games and in the process gets them 2-3 more wins than they'd have gotten out of Butler (isn't he your 5 at the moment?), that may be enough to get them past a fun but flawed Milwaukee team. And in the playoffs, the Cubs are still dangerous. The big game pedigree of your starting staff shouldn't be ignored and I have to believe that sooner or later that starting 8 will un**** itself.

It's a steep price but if I were a Cubs fan, I'd have a hard time believing that the Cubs won't just go find a new Jimenez. Theo and Hoyer know their hitting prospects. Jason McLeod is impressive as hell in his own right.

jd1020 07-13-2017 10:23 AM

If the deal included Happ instead of Jimenez I wouldn't care too much but the mere fact that Jimenez was who I thought made Schwarber expendable is in the deal just makes no sense.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955365)
If the deal included Happ instead of Jimenez I wouldn't care too much but the mere fact that Jimenez was who I thought made Schwarber expendable is in the deal just makes no sense.

I still think Bryant's long-term home ends up LF. He's improving but he still looks mechanical and his body type just fights against him a little. He's exceptionally athletic so he makes it work, but he'd be a plus defensive LFer, IMO. It would be very similar to the move Braun made.

So could it be that they see Happ as the long-term 2b, Baez at 3b and Bryant in LF?

I still don't see what the hell they plan on doing in CF. Don't you have to shit or get off the pot with Almora here? The kid's OBP will play at this level but he needs ABs to determine if he's going to get strong enough to keep the bat from getting knocked out of his hands (and to learn if his D is going to be good enough to make up for offensive limitations; defense just needs so many reps to stabilize).

Flags fly forever so you can't criticize anything Theo's done really, but man that team has thinned out quickly.

jd1020 07-13-2017 11:01 AM

If they were thinking that Bryant would move to LF I don't know why they wouldn't have done that when they first called Happ up, pretty certain Schwarber was already designated to platoon duty at that point. Happ has no position on this team unless Baez or Russell is traded and since if either of them are traded there is no second option at SS we are left with a ****ing 3 man platoon in CF.

We have a DH in LF, a 2nd baseman in CF, the reigning MVP hitting as a table setter, a utility man with a bum wrist that hasn't slugged .500 in like 8 years hitting cleanup, and for the majority of the year a poor baserunning 30+ HR hitter leading off. To say that this team isn't completely ass backwards would be an understatement.

I just hope Quintana can at least get back to being a serviceable #2 pitcher in the NL, because the farm system is now completely depleted between a rental closer and a 4.5 ERA pitcher.

ChiefsCountry 07-13-2017 11:07 AM

Lots of NL teams including both the Cubs and Cardinals would benefit from the DH. Just saying.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12955443)
Lots of NL teams including both the Cubs and Cardinals would benefit from the DH. Just saying.

Diluting the game to find a home for players that can't actually play baseball isn't 'benefiting' anyone.

If the Cardinals and Cubs can't find homes for Carpenter and Schwarber, they should deal them to the AL. I don't care that the DH exists in the AL - I just don't want it in the NL.

jd1020 07-13-2017 11:17 AM

This trade also crushes my wishes of the Cubs trading Davis in a market begging for relievers.

Sad day.

ChiefsCountry 07-13-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12955455)
Diluting the game to find a home for players that can't actually play baseball isn't 'benefiting' anyone.

If the Cardinals and Cubs can't find homes for Carpenter and Schwarber, they should deal them to the AL. I don't care that the DH exists in the AL - I just don't want it in the NL.

Diluting the game is watching trash bench players have to bat and taking out pitchers who are pitching well because they are up to bat the next inning.

VAChief 07-13-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12955443)

The DH completely changes the idea of a baseball player first. I don't care that it creates more offense. Why just designated hitters, why not runners, and fielders. Once you go down that road you might as well turn into football and offensive and defensive players.

It makes even less sense to have TWO different systems in the same league that plays each other. If the AL wants the DH for the regular season, fine. The Series should be played by the original rules.

VAChief 07-13-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12955468)
Diluting the game is watching trash bench players have to bat and taking out pitchers who are pitching well because they are up to bat the next inning.

The original DH players were those "trash bench" players. Carpenter and Schwarber would still have jobs, those teams would just have to justify them at certain positions, like NBA teams do for guys that can't play a lick of defense, but can shoot lights out.

Hoover 07-13-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955329)

This is not a panic move. Its a deal that helps them now and in the future as Quintana is under their control until 2020 with 8, 10, and 11 million dollar yearly options. And the Cubs still have young talent to make other moves. Happ, Candelaro, Schwarber, Almora, and Baez. They could move all five of those guys and still have a great core of young guys in the majors.

Cubs got better.

If they can turn around their pitching in the 2nd half, I think they easily win the division. Plus their bullpen is better with Montgomery back in it.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12955468)

Requiring a team to have a quality bench, a deep bullpen and a savvy manager to be successful is a feature, not a bug.

jd1020 07-13-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12955488)
This is not a panic move. Its a deal that helps them now and in the future as Quintana is under their control until 2020 with 8, 10, and 11 million dollar yearly options. And the Cubs still have young talent to make other moves. Happ, Candelaro, Schwarber, Almora, and Baez. They could move all five of those guys and still have a great core of young guys in the majors.

Cubs got better.

If they can turn around their pitching in the 2nd half, I think they easily win the division. Plus their bullpen is better with Montgomery back in it.

They sold the farm with an offer that was "well above the rest" according to Hann for a guy that fits the mold of a John Lackey. A dude who is thought of as a TOR with numbers that wouldn't make him more than a #3 on a solid playoff rotation.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955502)
They sold the farm with an offer that was "well above the rest" according to Hann for a guy that fits the mold of a John Lackey. A dude who is thought of as a TOR with numbers that wouldn't make him more than a #3 on a solid playoff rotation.

Let's be fair here - Quintana has been a roughly 4.5 WAR/yr pitcher for the last 4 years.

That is not a 'solid #3'.

Quintana doesn't have the kind of stuff I look for in a post-season starter, but neither did Hendricks or Lackey. And just a couple of days ago you were talking about Hendricks 'true talent' and claiming he was a genuine top tier starter despite the fact that he's not conventionally 'dominant'.

Well Quintana fits a very similar mold. Now perhaps Hendricks is proof that those kinds of guys have so little margin for error that you shouldn't be acquiring them for big packages because they can fall off with even a small decline in skills. But he's also a solid argument that there are a lot of different ways to succeed in this game.

The Cubs are betting that the last 7 starts suggest that Quintana's skills haven't eroded and he's back to being that 4-5 WAR pitcher he's been literally every other year of his career. If that's the case, they just got about $80 million in surplus value over the next 3+ seasons. Maybe they're wrong. Maybe the 3 year pattern of slippage in his FIP is a sign of genuine slippage.

But that's baseball. If it were easy these execs wouldn't make the money they do. Theo took a gamble - we'll see how it works out.

Hoover 07-13-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12955530)
Let's be fair here - Quintana has been a roughly 4.5 WAR/yr pitcher for the last 4 years.

That is not a 'solid #3'.

Quintana doesn't have the kind of stuff I look for in a post-season starter, but neither did Hendricks or Lackey. And just a couple of days ago you were talking about Hendricks 'true talent' and claiming he was a genuine top tier starter despite the fact that he's not conventionally 'dominant'.

Well Quintana fits a very similar mold. Now perhaps Hendricks is proof that those kinds of guys have so little margin for error that you shouldn't be acquiring them for big packages because they can fall off with even a small decline in skills. But he's also a solid argument that there are a lot of different ways to succeed in this game.

The Cubs are betting that the last 7 starts suggest that Quintana's skills haven't eroded and he's back to being that 4-5 WAR pitcher he's been literally every other year of his career. If that's the case, they just got about $80 million in surplus value over the next 3+ seasons. Maybe they're wrong. Maybe the 3 year pattern of slippage in his FIP is a sign of genuine slippage.

But that's baseball. If it were easy these execs wouldn't make the money they do. Theo took a gamble - we'll see how it works out.

BINGO

Great post.

jd1020 07-13-2017 12:17 PM

When have I ever touted Hendricks? The most I have ever done is post his numbers, and they are much better than Quintana's. I've never been a true believer in Hendricks because pitchers like him who don't have a plus pitch and below average velocity walk a very fine line. Hendricks crossed that line when he started throwing his reach back and sling it fastball 5-6 mphs slower than last year which ruins his bread and butter change up.

I care less about a pitchers WAR than I do their ERA and WHIP and there's nothing jaw dropping about Quintana. If he wasn't left handed he would just be a fish in a pond full of fish.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955590)
When have I ever touted Hendricks? The most I have ever done is post his numbers. I've never been a true believer in Hendricks because pitchers like him who don't have a plus pitch and below average velocity walk a very fine line. Hendricks crossed that line when he started throwing his reach back and sling it fastball 5-6 mphs slower than last year which ruins his bread and butter change up.

I care less about a pitchers WAR than I do their ERA and WHIP and there's nothing jaw dropping about Quintana. If he wasn't left handed he would just be a fish in a pond full of fish.

When you were arguing with Hamas.

Quote:

Kyle Hendricks came back down to earth yet he holds a career ERA of just over 3 with a career WHIP of just over 1. And out dueled Clayton Kershaw in the deciding NLCS game and shouldn't have been taken out in game 7 of the WS as early as he was. His BABIP is literally just .009 points higher this year.
How's that not making a stand in favor of Hendricks? Citing his career numbers and taking down Kershaw in an argument where Hamas is calling him a one-off is pretty clearly 'touting' Hendricks. Otherwise wouldn't you have just been better served saying "oh, yeah....you're right, Hendricks DID have a career year and shouldn't have been counted on..."?

What the hell was the point in 'rebutting' Hamas if it wasn't defending Hendricks?

And if Quintana wasn't lefthanded he wouldn't be as good...um...so? The being lefthanded thing absolutely matters in a league that's predominantly righthanded. Christ, if Lester wasn't lefthanded he'd just be some POS soft-tosser who can't throw over to 1b. Lester and Quintana are peas in a pod. Going forward I'd FAR prefer Quintana to Lester, in fact. The fact remains that he IS lefthanded and that makes him a difficult matchup for many hitters that just aren't used to dealing with lefties.

The value in WAR isn't in October, I'll grant you. Like I said - Quintana is not the kind of arm I prefer in the postseason. But high WAR for SPs is absolutely valueable because it speaks to reliability. And if you ever want to know the value of reliability, look at the championship you guys finally got after your whole damn starting staff was a model of durability and faced an Indians staff that was in absolute tatters.

You're underselling a good pitcher because he isn't Sale and he doesn't have the 'sexy' arsenal of a guy like Archer. Quintana has a lot of things to like. I'm not sure it's a deal I'd have made but I understand why Theo did. I think they gave up way WAY more ceiling than they got back, but they also got a hell of a lot more floor for a couple of guys that haven't taken a swing in AA yet (and a couple more throw-ins). For a defending champion with a roster full of 24-26 yr old starters, that's exactly the kind of move you're willing to make.

jd1020 07-13-2017 12:28 PM

So making a comment on the year he had and his career is suggesting he's some elite future TOR pitcher? All I see are facts.

Hamas is a guy who thinks Hendricks ran some miracle BABIP to a near Cy Young season when his current shit year has a BABIP average just .009 points higher.

I'm not underselling anything. Quintana is nothing special. His numbers show it. The Cubs bought Robin for Batmans price.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955604)
So making a comment on the year he had and his career is suggesting he's some elite future TOR pitcher? All I see are facts.

Hamas is a guy who think Hendricks ran some miracle BABIP to a near Cy Young season when his current shit year has a BABIP average just .009 points higher.

When he calls Hendricks a '#3 starter with average stuff' and you start to cite a good career ERA/WHIP and the fact that he outpitched Kershaw in the post-season, I find it difficult to now listen to you try to argue that he was just some crap starter.

If he says he's a #3 starter and you argue with him, are you NOT calling Hendricks a top of the rotation starter? Because 1/2 are the top of the rotation, near as I can tell.

And I ask again - what's the difference between Quintana and Lester? if anything, THAT would be what frustrates me - Quintana's stuff isn't complementary to what you have. He's a very similar pitcher to the guy you'll have at the top anyway. And if you lose Arrieta next year, your 1 and 2 starters are going to be very similar pitching off each other. That's not generally a great recipe.

But it doesn't mean Quintana isn't a very good pitcher in his own right. If he's 'nothing special' then neither is Jon Lester.

jd1020 07-13-2017 12:43 PM

You continue to try and put words in my mouth in regards to Hendricks. I've never called him an elite pitcher and I've never called him crap.

He's a pitcher with a very fine line for success. He relies on change of speed and he doesn't have it when he's throwing 85 mph fastballs.

He's had a very good 2.5 year start to his career and earlier in this thread I said I would think about trading him. If I thought Hendricks was some elite pitcher why the **** would I think about trading a guy pre-arbitration on the defending world champs?

Hoover 07-13-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955623)
You continue to try and put words in my mouth in regards to Hendricks. I've never called him an elite pitcher and I've never called him crap.

He's a pitcher with a very fine line for success. He relies on change of speed and he doesn't have it when he's throwing 85 mph fastballs.

He's had a very good 2.5 year start to his career and earlier in this thread I said I would think about trading him. If I thought Hendricks was some elite pitcher why the **** would I think about trading a guy pre-arbitration on the defending world champs?

The Cubs also control Hendricks until 2020. Another cheap starting pitcher. If anything, you just let him walk in 2021. Its similar to what they are doing with Arrieta. Avoid paying huge contracts.

jd1020 07-13-2017 12:50 PM

Also, the Cubs got Lester in FA so I don't see a need to compare their situations and Quintana hasn't been close to putting up the numbers Lester has the last 2+ years. I could also argue that when in Boston he pitched in a much much tougher division.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12492337)
They signed Lester to a 150M contract and Heyward. Lester's contract is a bargain as far as pitchers of his caliber are concerned...

Jon Lester - so good that his $150 million contract is 'a bargain'.

Jose Quintana - 'nothing special'.

Jon Lester's WAR over the last 5 years - 16. Jose Quintana' WAR - 19. Average fastball velocities are virtually indistinguishable. Respective arsenals are extremely similar. In terms of park/league adjusted ERA, Quintana has had better seasons in 2 of his 4 full seasons and in total there within percentage points of each other with Lester having a slight edge. Park/league adjusted FIP tightens up even more and still has a 2/2 split with Quintana now a tick ahead of Lester.

Okay. We'll just chalk this bit of insanity into standard emotional fan responses. We all have them. If you want to continue to act like Quintana is Jaime Garcia or something, be my guest. But 'nothing special' isn't right - he's a damn good pitcher who'd probably get somewhere north of $25 million/season on the open market and you'd have to pay him for 2-3 years too long. You guys will pay $33 TOTAL for the next 3+ years, all of which are his prime season.

You got a hell of a lot of value here. It may still not work out - pitchers are volatile, but don't shortchange the return.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955623)

Someone called him a #3 and you started arguing with him.

How again isn't that calling him a top of the rotation starter?

jd1020 07-13-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12955638)
The Cubs also control Hendricks until 2020. Another cheap starting pitcher. If anything, you just let him walk in 2021. Its similar to what they are doing with Arrieta. Avoid paying huge contracts.

You don't think the Cubs are going to back a Brinks truck up for a pitcher in the off-season? They have no ace on the staff with 2 spots to fill and only Schwarber as a likely young position player that could fetch a TOR guy with an accompanying package of throw ins

Only problem is you are looking at Yu Dervish being the only ace in the pool and the guy is always injured.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955639)
Also, the Cubs got Lester in FA so I don't see a need to compare their situations and Quintana hasn't been close to putting up the numbers Lester has the last 2+ years. I could also argue that when in Boston he pitched in a much much tougher division.

Sure you can, that's why you have to adjust for park/league/defense.

Some years Lester's been better than Quintana. Some year's he's been worse. They've always been comparable and in the end there are a whole lot of metrics that say Quintana has been every bit Lester's equal over the last several years including last season when Quintana actually had a BETTER adjusted FIP than Lester did.

If Quintana is 'nothing special', then you guys paid $25 million/season for a middle of the rotation starter in Jon Lester.

jd1020 07-13-2017 01:16 PM

Lester had the best season of his career before FA and he's pitched like an ace ever since signing, numbers far lower than anything Quintana has posted. He also happens to have a career postseason ERA of 2.63. Obviously the contract won't age well if he continues down his first half path but when you look at what guys like Greinke got to say 150 isn't a bargain is nuts.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955691)
Lester had the best season of his career before FA and he's pitched like an ace ever since signing, numbers far lower than anything Quintana has posted. He also happens to have a career postseason ERA of 2.63. Obviously the contract won't age well if he continues down his first half path but when you look at what guys like Greinke got to say 150 isn't a bargain is nuts.

No, they aren't. Not when you adjust for park, league and defense.

Y'know, the very argument you tried to make IN FAVOR of Lester.

You have GOT to stop moving goalposts.

And while post-season matters, that's not why the Cubs paid dearly for Quintana. He cost what he cost because of the 3 extra seasons of control and the innings/consistency/production he will provide. This isn't a rental and that's obviously why WAR does matter here.

If all you care about is the postseason go get Darvish and ride him till he bucks ya. He'd have cost less than Quintana. But clearly that's not the only thing Theo is focused on - he's worried about the rotation going forward and wants a steady arm in it. The fact that Quintana has accumulated more WAR and put up comparable -FIPs over the last 4 years absolutely puts him in Lester's class in terms of value.

Hoover 07-13-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 12955653)
You don't think the Cubs are going to back a Brinks truck up for a pitcher in the off-season? They have no ace on the staff with 2 spots to fill and only Schwarber as a likely young position player that could fetch a TOR guy with an accompanying package of throw ins

Only problem is you are looking at Yu Dervish being the only ace in the pool and the guy is always injured.

I don't think the Cubs are going to go out in FA and get pay for a FA ace.

Frankly, I don't think they need it.

Next years roation is already four deep: Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, and Montgomery.

So they could go with a prove it type guy, a one year like Anderson.

What I think they are going to do is make another move before the deadline. I'd love them to revist the Fulmer deal. They still have plenty of prospects and he's only 24.

So yes, I would unload talent in my farm system to build my starting rotation for years to come and avoid paying FA contracts for pitchers. If you sign a guy like Gray, you are going to need to be ready to pay him another contract in a few years.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 01:38 PM

I think your farm system is largely 'unloaded' already when you're talking that level of player. Y'all don't have the bullets anymore to just move prospects for anything more than the Ervin Santana, Lance Lynn level of pitcher (I'd send y'all Lynn for Candelario, FYI).

I mean I guess you could peddle Happ but you're not getting a cost-controlled young starter for just Happ. So if Schwarber doesn't get you Fulmer, you ready to move Schwarber, Happ and Candelario for Fulmer and Wilson?

If so, what's your OF going forward?

The Cubs are in an undeniably enviable position given the youth of their core, but there's no getting around the fact that recent deals have really sapped their organizational depth. There's not a lot that the Cubs can move out at this point without it starting to sting a bit on the big league roster.

Hoover 07-13-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12955724)
I think your farm system is largely 'unloaded' already when you're talking that level of player. Y'all don't have the bullets anymore to just move prospects for anything more than the Ervin Santana, Lance Lynn level of pitcher (I'd send y'all Lynn for Candelario, FYI).

I mean I guess you could peddle Happ but you're not getting a cost-controlled young starter for just Happ. So if Schwarber doesn't get you Fulmer, you ready to move Schwarber, Happ and Candelario for Fulmer and Wilson?

If so, what's your OF going forward?

The Cubs are in an undeniably enviable position given the youth of their core, but there's no getting around the fact that recent deals have really sapped their organizational depth. There's not a lot that the Cubs can move out at this point without it starting to sting a bit on the big league roster.

I'd roll out there every day with Bryant, Almora, and Heyward, and not really worry about it. If Baez can play 3rd base everyday, I'd do it.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12955738)
I'd roll out there every day with Bryant, Almora, and Heyward, and not really worry about it. If Baez can play 3rd base everyday, I'd do it.

Zobrist back at full-time 2b I presume?

It's easier to find a credible long-term 2b than it is to find a top of the rotation starter. And if you could run Lester - Fulmer - Quintana - Hendricks - Whatever you're in pretty nice shape.

C - Contreras
1b - Rizzo
2b - Zobrist
SS - Russell
3b - Baez
LF - Bryant
CF - Almora
RF - Bryant

Yeah, that lineup's good enough. If you got Wilson back in the deal you have closer insurance for Davis (and a good lefty reliever if you keep Davis). Probably a good deal to make.

jd1020 07-13-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12955708)
Next years roation is already four deep: Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, and Montgomery.

Montgomery is not a starter.

The guy has walked over 4 batters per 9 ever since joining the Cubs and has a 5.46 ERA as a starter.

Hoover 07-13-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12955758)
Zobrist back at full-time 2b I presume?

It's easier to find a credible long-term 2b than it is to find a top of the rotation starter. And if you could run Lester - Fulmer - Quintana - Hendricks - Whatever you're in pretty nice shape.

C - Contreras
1b - Rizzo
2b - Zobrist
SS - Russell
3b - Baez
LF - Bryant
CF - Almora
RF - Bryant

Yeah, that lineup's good enough. If you got Wilson back in the deal you have closer insurance for Davis (and a good lefty reliever if you keep Davis). Probably a good deal to make.

They can also play Happ every day at second

DJ's left nut 07-13-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12956037)
They can also play Happ every day at second

Not if Happ is in the trade and I'm betting that's gonna need to happen.

Hoover 07-13-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12956058)
Not if Happ is in the trade and I'm betting that's gonna need to happen.

If so, so be it.

I like these kids, but as noted above you can always find a warm buddy at 2nd base.

VAChief 07-14-2017 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12956148)
If so, so be it.

I like these kids, but as noted above you can always find a warm buddy at 2nd base.

I think Skip Schumaker and Allen Craig are available.:)

raybec 4 07-14-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 12956363)
I think Skip Schumaker and Allen Craig are available.:)

I'd flip them Kolten Wong for a bucket of balls and three Al's Italian beef sandwiches. The bucket of balls is negotiable.

Marcellus 07-14-2017 06:16 PM

Piscotty is in a line of shitty contracts handed out by Mo.

Miles 07-14-2017 09:38 PM

Seems Oh is getting pretty shaky.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-14-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 12957447)
Seems Oh is getting pretty shaky.

Never liked guys that throw up in the zone with only middling velocity. I'm not sure if he got by last year on batted ball luck or if his delivery was just deceptive enough to fool people his first pass around the league, but either way he's nothing more than an average middle reliever.

Miles 07-14-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12957488)
Never liked guys that throw up in the zone with only middling velocity. I'm not sure if he got by last year on batted ball luck or if his delivery was just deceptive enough to fool people his first pass around the league, but either way he's nothing more than an average middle reliever.

His slider seemed quite solid last year as an out pitch. I have watched very little this year.

VAChief 07-15-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12957488)

Looking at Fangraphs his stuff statistically didn't seem to reflect any major drops from last year.

His location does seem off more this year and he seems to need to produce more effort to hold velocity. However I think the difference is more familiarity. Last year you could see hitters more jumpy with his synchopated delivery coupled with enough velocity and movement to keep them off balance.

Last night (and several times this year) hitters are more relaxed able to stay back and "load up" against him. I could be wrong but I fear we may be heading into a Ryan Franklin situation.

Of course Matheny completely misreads his bullpen again. "Good Rosenthal" comes out relaxed and throwing strikes well rested after the break and instead of sending him back out there (in a tie game mind you) he brings in Oh.

Oh and F Piscotty, he needs to go down. Right now he has none of his natural tools working. He never could run well. His arm is now erratic as hell and he makes decisions on when to use it like a little leaguer. He isn't getting on base and his slugging percentage has regressed considerably.

Marcellus 07-15-2017 02:00 PM

Pretty much every recent move by Mo has looked like shit.

Piscotty
Oh
Wong
Grichuck
Leake
Fowler

All playing at below value except Grichuck who is cheap but still is playing like a JAG.

Wong has his moments but cant stay healthy and turns nuts about 50% of the time with errors and poor play.

And Carp still looks to be another JAG.

VAChief 07-16-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12957864)

He probably will waste this window of opportunity to get some decent value for Carpenter. Couple him with Lynn or Leake and go after one of the Yankees top 2 prospects. Or see what you get from the Red Sox for Carpenter or Gyorko.

Carpenter's obvious mind f### hitting anywhere but lead off pisses me off.

Marcellus 07-16-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 12958723)
He probably will waste this window of opportunity to get some decent value for Carpenter. Couple him with Lynn or Leake and go after one of the Yankees top 2 prospects. Or see what you get from the Red Sox for Carpenter or Gyorko.

Carpenter's obvious mind f### hitting anywhere but lead off pisses me off.

Something we can agree on.

Marcellus 07-16-2017 01:31 PM

Matheny leaves in the .150 hitting Martinez to bat in the 6th with 2 on down by one and gets away with it.

VAChief 07-16-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12958797)
Something we can agree on.

I'm avoiding the cesspool next door.:)

Marcellus 07-16-2017 02:42 PM

How many ways can Matheny figure out a way to blow a game?

bdj23 07-16-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12957864)

Piscotty
Oh
Wong
Grichuck
Leake
Fowler

All playing at below value except Grichuck who is cheap but still is playing like a JAG.

Wong has his moments but cant stay healthy and turns nuts about 50% of the time with errors and poor play.

Don't forget our man of the hour Brett Cecil

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-16-2017 03:06 PM

I don't know how you could blame Matheny for that one. Oh has been terrible in the 9th, Rosenthal has been shaky, and Cecil has been very good. He gave Cecil a chance today and he blew it.

Marcellus 07-16-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12958955)
I don't know how you could blame Matheny for that one. Oh has been terrible in the 9th, Rosenthal has been shaky, and Cecil has been very good. He gave Cecil a chance today and he blew it.

Rosenthal needs to be the closer period. He doesn't do as well in lesser roles and he will blow some games but he is better than anything else they have and it isn't close.

Cecil had a streak of good play but to put him in to close? Seriously?

Rams Fan 07-16-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12958987)
Rosenthal needs to be the closer period. He doesn't do as well in lesser roles and he will blow some games but he is better than anything else they have and it isn't close.

Without looking up any stats, I would venture to say Cecil has been the Cardinals best or second best reliever since the start of May.

DJ's left nut 07-16-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12958987)

Rosenthal is even worse in the 9th.

Besides, "He sucks worse at the easier job" is what had Donald Stephenson starting at LT for us at one point.

You don't get to fail your way to the top.

Cecil earned that shot. He'll, he's been so much better than everyone else we have over the last 6-8 weeks that he's probably earned another one. I don't like the signing but it's a meritocracy and he's pitched well recently.

Or hell, toss Brebia or Bowman out there.

Rosenthal's embarrassing 2016 and bed-wetting in the 9th in '17 entitles him to no further deference. He can wait in line for his turn again but he blew a golden opportunity 3 weeks ago and I see no reason why he should just be given it back.

bdj23 07-17-2017 05:26 PM

Waino looks like he wants to get shelled this afternoon

VAChief 07-17-2017 07:23 PM

Put up a six spot and then commit 3 errors in the OF!

kcpasco 07-17-2017 07:26 PM

Still waiting on that improved defense I was told about.

Marcellus 07-20-2017 02:21 PM

Lost the game on a walk off error because Rosy didn't cover 1st base on a grounder hit to the right side.

This team is so stupid they might actually get Matheny fired.

Keep it up guys, keep it up.

kcpasco 07-20-2017 03:16 PM

Rosenthal gave us a few good years but it's time he had a new start with a different team. I'd still try and make a trade for a 3 hitter even if it's for next year and beyond.