ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Doctor Who (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243362)

bevischief 01-23-2016 05:54 AM

This better be good...

keg in kc 12-26-2016 03:10 PM

<iframe width="377" height="237" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o3x4YF3EisE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 04-25-2017 03:23 PM

So I'm still not sure what I think about Bill. The Pilot was pretty good but the long tradition of stupid-looking robots has made it hard for me to get through Smile.

DJ's left nut 04-25-2017 03:50 PM

See - I'm such a committed fan of this show that I had no idea that it just didn't exist in 2016.

I'm the kind of fan that real fans hate. I have no goddamn clue what went on with River Song, her lineage or her marital status (I go cross-eyed every time I try to figure it out). I've never seen Tom Baker play the role. I can't figure out why the Daleks are supposed to be scary but the damn Angels unnerve the hell out of me. I find Matt Smith to be wholly tolerable and I don't really care for Rose Tyler even if she did manage to make Tennant cry.

I'm the dreaded 'casual fan' who sees one out of every three episodes while taking care of dogs and doing the shit/shower routine every morning on BBC. So if you would prefer, I will kindly go **** myself now. But anyone who doesn't realize that Martha Jones was the best companion is clearly wrong.

Third Eye 04-25-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12838902)
See - I'm such a committed fan of this show that I had no idea that it just didn't exist in 2016.

I'm the kind of fan that real fans hate. I have no goddamn clue what went on with River Song, her lineage or her marital status (I go cross-eyed every time I try to figure it out). I've never seen Tom Baker play the role. I can't figure out why the Daleks are supposed to be scary but the damn Angels unnerve the hell out of me. I find Matt Smith to be wholly tolerable and I don't really care for Rose Tyler even if she did manage to make Tennant cry.

I'm the dreaded 'casual fan' who sees one out of every three episodes while taking care of dogs and doing the shit/shower routine every morning on BBC. So if you would prefer, I will kindly go **** myself now. But anyone who doesn't realize that Martha Jones was the best companion is clearly wrong.

No argument here.

GMitch 04-25-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12838902)

The Angels make my skin crawl. The spookiest of all of the enemies.

I'm torn between Martha and Clara as my favorite companion but I guess I lean slightly towards Martha.

lawrenceRaider 04-26-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMitch (Post 12839500)
The Angels make my skin crawl. The spookiest of all of the enemies.

I'm torn between Martha and Clara as my favorite companion but I guess I lean slightly towards Martha.

Those are definitely my favorite two companions as well. Forced to choose, I think I'd also have to go with Martha. Though that might be because they've pushed Clara a bit too long.

DJ's left nut 04-26-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 12839830)
Those are definitely my favorite two companions as well. Forced to choose, I think I'd also have to go with Martha. Though that might be because they've pushed Clara a bit too long.

Clara became too central to the show.

I like her, but she has that fast, clipped manner of speech that goes a long way in small doses. Suddenly she was the centerpiece of far too many episodes and she can get grating.

The other problem I had was that this girl was able to convince an 800 year old demi-god who had (maybe) committed genocide on his own people that he was wrong about things just about every week. At some point I feel like he'd have just turned to her and said "Look here, I've saved countless planets and have saved your particular planet countless times. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, a little deference is in order here?"

Martha never outgrew her role except for when the Doctor was incapacitated and she needed to step up and take the reigns. And when that happened, she was pretty much a badass. She struck a perfect balance.

Amy would've been better had Rory not been in tow. Rory screwed that whole thing up, IMO.

DJ's left nut 04-26-2017 09:08 AM

And just so I'm clear on the 'maybe' genocide - the Capaldi doctor and every doctor after him knows that he didn't actually blow up Galifrey now, correct? Every doctor prior to Matt Smith doesn't know that because of some weird time wrinkle.

lawrenceRaider 04-26-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12839846)
Clara became too central to the show.

I like her, but she has that fast, clipped manner of speech that goes a long way in small doses. Suddenly she was the centerpiece of far too many episodes and she can get grating.

The other problem I had was that this girl was able to convince an 800 year old demi-god who had (maybe) committed genocide on his own people that he was wrong about things just about every week. At some point I feel like he'd have just turned to her and said "Look here, I've saved countless planets and have saved your particular planet countless times. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, a little deference is in order here?"

Martha never outgrew her role except for when the Doctor was incapacitated and she needed to step up and take the reigns. And when that happened, she was pretty much a badass. She struck a perfect balance.

Amy would've been better had Rory not been in tow. Rory screwed that whole thing up, IMO.

It became the Amy/Rory show with the Dr ferrying them around.

My son and I are watching season 9 now, and I'm not sure if we'll finish it. Where as before he would beg to watch more shows, he's not real thrilled with it now. The sonic glasses are killing it for him.

listopencil 04-26-2017 10:48 PM

As of right now she's a black lesbian Rose. She might have a bit more going on upstairs then Rose, maybe not. At least there won't be a tedious Doc/companion love story to deal with...unless...it seems like the show goes in cycles where the present companion keeps things going at first for the news doctor and is offed at some point so the new doctor can make it 'his' show. Who will be replacing Capaldi?

listopencil 04-26-2017 10:50 PM

Just to **** with everyone the new Doctor Who will be Craig Ferguson:

http://cdn4.thr.com/sites/default/fi...e_show_a_l.jpg

Third Eye 04-26-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12841254)
Just to **** with everyone the new Doctor Who will be Craig Ferguson:

http://cdn4.thr.com/sites/default/fi...e_show_a_l.jpg

If Geoff is the companion then I am so in.

DJ's left nut 04-27-2017 08:51 AM

Did Hayley Atwell's show fail? I have to believe it did because it looked AAAAWWWWFFUULLLLL.

And the BBC loves them some progressive casting. And they have a lesbian companion. Oh tell me they wouldn't just be all atwitter with the idea of a female doctor. They've already made The Master a woman so why not the Doctor as well?

Because really - who doesn't like Hayley Atwell?

bevischief 05-07-2017 03:06 AM

Can we the say...

listopencil 05-07-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12841596)
Did Hayley Atwell's show fail? I have to believe it did because it looked AAAAWWWWFFUULLLLL.

And the BBC loves them some progressive casting. And they have a lesbian companion. Oh tell me they wouldn't just be all atwitter with the idea of a female doctor. They've already made The Master a woman so why not the Doctor as well?

Because really - who doesn't like Hayley Atwell?

She's cute. Reminds a bit of Natalie Merchant.

bevischief 05-13-2017 01:09 PM

Question? Is Bill, Susan or her daughter.

bevischief 05-13-2017 01:12 PM

And yes this old school.

bevischief 05-13-2017 06:13 PM

I can't see.

listopencil 05-15-2017 02:18 AM

I've got to say that I am disappointed in the season so far after waiting so long to see what they were going to come up with. There have been moments here and there but everything other than the season pilot has felt like filler episodes. The twist at the end of the last episode was interesting, but only in a way that it leaves a loose end to be dealt with. I feel badly for Capaldi. I don't blame him for leaving after having to slog through these scripts.

stumppy 05-15-2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12872668)
I've got to say that I am disappointed in the season so far after waiting so long to see what they were going to come up with. There have been moments here and there but everything other than the season pilot has felt like filler episodes. The twist at the end of the last episode was interesting, but only in a way that it leaves a loose end to be dealt with. I feel badly for Capaldi. I don't blame him for leaving after having to slog through these scripts.

Same here. This season has been a big fat meh.

DJ's left nut 05-16-2017 02:30 PM

Just saw the first two episodes of Season 9 and the introduction of the "Glasses". Shit that's reeruned.

But apart from that, the whole thing with Davros as a kid and Skaro, etc... was pretty damn cool. It was a solid couple of episodes but I could see some of the cracks y'all are irritated about emerging. And once again, The Doctor getting scolded like a little boy by Clara is just annoying. For ****'s sake, woman. He's essentially a demi-god. There's an excellent chance that he's right and you're just a nag.

listopencil 07-02-2017 01:12 AM

Last episode with this Doctor barring the Xmas special.

Rausch 07-02-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12940097)
Last episode with this Doctor barring the Xmas special.

Good.

I haven't liked a one since Tennant...

listopencil 07-02-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12940313)
Good.

I haven't liked a one since Tennant...

I liked Capaldi in his first season. Since then it seems like they tried to soften the character and the writing has gone to shit. The finale was decent. Too bad they couldn't pull off a decent episode at least every few weeks recently though.

listopencil 07-02-2017 06:09 PM

Oh, yeah, they're doing the 'I don't wanna go' thing with him in the finale and I assume in the Xmas special as well. He made a reference to Tom Baker in the finale and Hartnell (kind of) showed up. Made me start daydreaming. It would be fun if Bill and friend somehow moved Capaldi's essence into that library and gave him Baker's face.

keg in kc 07-03-2017 04:45 PM

I haven't liked this season at all, but the finale was good. Xmas special looks interesting.

We'll see what happens with the relaunch.

stumppy 07-04-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12942146)
I haven't liked this season at all, but the finale was good. Xmas special looks interesting.

We'll see what happens with the relaunch.

Quoting you is about all the effort describing this season deserves.

crayzkirk 07-07-2017 03:48 PM

I'm trying to figure out how they are going to bring back the Master. Of course, in Doctor Who, no one really dies. Glad that Bill is gone as I don't really like having the whole alternative life style force fed to me. It's time for Capaldi to go.

The banter between the two Masters was just wrong which I suppose, made it right.

Most of the season was pretty forgettable... In fact, I've forgotten it already.

CK

stumppy 07-07-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 12947482)
I'm trying to figure out how they are going to bring back the Master. Of course, in Doctor Who, no one really dies. Glad that Bill is gone as I don't really like having the whole alternative life style force fed to me. It's time for Capaldi to go.

The banter between the two Masters was just wrong which I suppose, made it right.

Most of the season was pretty forgettable... In fact, I've forgotten it already.

CK

Not sure what you mean. Pretty sure The Master will just regenerate back into his/her Missy body.

listopencil 07-07-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12947486)
Not sure what you mean. Pretty sure The Master will just regenerate back into his/her Missy body.

The Master said to Missy, "...don't even bother trying to regenerate, you got the full blast."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJqlfdHjlsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course that doesn't really mean anything because the new show runner is going to have a lot of leeway.

stumppy 07-07-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12947530)
The Master said to Missy, "...don't even bother trying to regenerate, you got the full blast."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJqlfdHjlsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course that doesn't really mean anything because the new show runner is going to have a lot of leeway.

Going by memory, I'm pretty sure Missy insinuated the Master was going to regenerate into Missy.

listopencil 07-07-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12947533)
Going by memory, I'm pretty sure Missy insinuated the Master was going to regenerate into Missy.

I thought so too. I thought that was the joke that they were both laughing at.

stumppy 07-07-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12947554)
I thought so too. I thought that was the joke that they were both laughing at.

Yup, that's the way I took it too.

crayzkirk 07-08-2017 11:58 AM

Right... Missy stabbed her former self so he would regenerate into her however, he zaps her with his death ray and she dies. Of course, she died a few times before like getting shot by a Cyberman or Dalec. It's all that Timey Wimey stuff that gets confusing.

Clara died and the Doctor went back and pulled her out just before she died so I'm sure that the Time Lords will be able to pull some sort of trick to bring back the Master.

He/She is not really dead. Looking forward to the Christmas Special to see how they solve all of this.

Maybe we need a poll to determine if we think the new show runner will continue to PC direction things seem to be going. Does it make me racist to notice that all of the companions had mixed color relationships? Martha really never should have been a companion because she was turned into a Cyberman in the two part finale where Rose gets stuck on the other side of the rift. Oh well, that's what happens when your country has about a dozen actors.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 12:07 PM

That wasn't actually Martha. The same actress played her, but that character has a different name (can't recall it at the moment).

Martha references 'her cousin' that worked at the wharf when that all went down. So the audience is essentially being told that her cousin looked exactly like her. As far as suspension of disbelief goes, that's really not all that bad.

And yeah, anything on the BBC is going to be forcefully progressive. I'm virtually certain that the next Doctor will be a woman.

listopencil 07-08-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12948218)
That wasn't actually Martha. The same actress played her, but that character has a different name (can't recall it at the moment).

Martha references 'her cousin' that worked at the wharf when that all went down. So the audience is essentially being told that her cousin looked exactly like her. As far as suspension of disbelief goes, that's really not all that bad.

And yeah, anything on the BBC is going to be forcefully progressive. I'm virtually certain that the next Doctor will be a woman.

Did you catch that little dig at Trump when the Doctor was explaining the inevitability of cybermen?

crayzkirk 07-09-2017 07:08 AM

Unfortunately, yes. It got a nice eye roll from me. I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of BrExit as well.

listopencil 07-09-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 12949130)
Unfortunately, yes. It got a nice eye roll from me. I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of BrExit as well.

Yeah. I cringe when they include pop culture or political references. I'd like my time lord to be more timeless, thank you.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12948628)
Did you catch that little dig at Trump when the Doctor was explaining the inevitability of cybermen?

Watched the first episode and hated Bill and the little bald alien manservant thing so much that I haven't watched the rest of the season. Don't expect I will.

keg in kc 07-14-2017 01:15 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exclusive News: It’s Almost Time. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DoctorWho?src=hash">#DoctorWho</a> <a href="https://t.co/XyF6KPaf0b">pic.twitter.com/XyF6KPaf0b</a></p>&mdash; BBC America (@BBCAMERICA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/885914027444011010">July 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stumppy 07-14-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12956801)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exclusive News: It’s Almost Time. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DoctorWho?src=hash">#DoctorWho</a> <a href="https://t.co/XyF6KPaf0b">pic.twitter.com/XyF6KPaf0b</a></p>&mdash; BBC America (@BBCAMERICA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/885914027444011010">July 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Won't play for me. What is it ?

stumppy 07-14-2017 01:22 PM

OK, i read what was posted at the link. Cool

unlurking 07-14-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12956807)
Won't play for me. What is it ?

13th Dr. will be introduced after the Wimbledon series.

Third Eye 07-15-2017 12:57 AM

Looks like it's Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

listopencil 07-15-2017 05:36 AM

I really did like Capaldi in his first season. I was completely ready for a grumpy older Doctor. Then they softened him, then they gave him shit scripts and poor stories to work with. If it is a woman then maybe the change will energize the creative staff and push them to work harder, I don't know. But they need to do better then the group of the last few years did. I want complicated plotlines that appear to be wrapped up after 20 minutes and make you wonder what's going to happen. I want deep story arcs that span whole seasons and beyond. I want a Doctor who is allowed to define the role.

unlurking 07-15-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 12957542)
Looks like it's Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...or-who-rumours

Third Eye 07-15-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12957571)

I mean, there's no guarantees in life, but I follow the money. This was from late last night and updated today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ie-dormer/amp/

Peter will step down as the Doctor at the end of the year after starring in one final season, and his regeneration scene is expected to take place during the 2017 Christmas special.

But who will replace him? Sun Bets Spokesman Tim Reynolds explains that, as far as he’s concerned, it’s already in the bag.

“We suspended betting on the next Doctor Who after a big run of money for Phoebe Waller-Bridge and our trading team suspected it was a done deal,” he says.

“For months many have thought Kris Marshall had the job in the bag, but our liabilities on Phoebe say otherwise.

“Doctor Who has always been about time travel, but with a new female Doctor the show seems finally to be hurtling into the 21st Century!”

So Phoebe looks a dead cert – but you can still have a flutter. Here’s the lowdown on the favourites (odds from Ladbrokes, correct to July 15 – check out the latest here)…

listopencil 07-15-2017 04:52 PM

OK. I just found out from an inside source. This is pretty legit, guys. The new Doctor is going to be a woman and she will be played by...

Third Eye 07-16-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 12957654)
I mean, there's no guarantees in life, but I follow the money. This was from late last night and updated today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ie-dormer/amp/

Peter will step down as the Doctor at the end of the year after starring in one final season, and his regeneration scene is expected to take place during the 2017 Christmas special.

But who will replace him? Sun Bets Spokesman Tim Reynolds explains that, as far as he’s concerned, it’s already in the bag.

“We suspended betting on the next Doctor Who after a big run of money for Phoebe Waller-Bridge and our trading team suspected it was a done deal,” he says.

“For months many have thought Kris Marshall had the job in the bag, but our liabilities on Phoebe say otherwise.

“Doctor Who has always been about time travel, but with a new female Doctor the show seems finally to be hurtling into the 21st Century!”

So Phoebe looks a dead cert – but you can still have a flutter. Here’s the lowdown on the favourites (odds from Ladbrokes, correct to July 15 – check out the latest here)…

Well I did say there were no guarantees...

DJ's left nut 07-16-2017 10:12 AM

There is more bitching on Twitter ABOUT the bitching on Twitter than there are actual complaints.

It's pretty funny. I'll miss Capaldi in that, like others, I liked his capacity for cranky and thought he was truly expressive (a change from smith).

I don't care really that this one is a woman, but still think it's hilarious how predictable the BBC is. This has been telegraphed forever.

unlurking 07-16-2017 10:27 AM

Haven't seen Broadchurch yet. Her epsiode of Black Mirror was great though. I don't care that the next Doctor is a woman. I just hope the writing gets better. As others have said, this season has mostly sucked

listopencil 07-16-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12958558)
There is more bitching on Twitter ABOUT the bitching on Twitter than there are actual complaints.

It's pretty funny. I'll miss Capaldi in that, like others, I liked his capacity for cranky and though he was truly expressive (a change from smith).

I don't care really that this one is a woman, but still think it's hilarious how predictable the BBC is. This has been telegraphed forever.

#notmydoctor

DJ's left nut 07-16-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12958738)
#notmydoctor

To watch the virtue signalers on Twitter you'd think that millions of men are grunting at their monitors and setting things on fire in protest.

They're so excited to be able to shove it in the face of misogynists that they've just kinda blown past the fact that the response has been a near universal 'eh'. Doesn't stop them from shouting down arguments that aren't actually being made, though.

Good for them...

listopencil 07-16-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12958761)
To watch the virtue signalers on Twitter you'd think that millions of men are grunting at their monitors and setting things on fire in protest.

They're so excited to be able to shove it in the face of misogynists that they've just kinda blown past the fact that the response has been a near universal 'eh'. Doesn't stop them from shouting down arguments that aren't actually being made, though.

Good for them...

I know. It's goofy. One of my kids is in her early 20's and way too into social media. She did manage to pull away from being a SJW but she still has those tendencies the will vomit forth on occasion. It took me years to get it through her thick skull that in many of these situations...no one gives a shit. At all. We just want a good Doctor, and good stories, with good characters, and good writing. We want the show to live up to its cheesy/lofty potential.

stumppy 07-16-2017 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...3-e6874d09579f

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as the Thirteenth Doctor.

Fish 07-16-2017 11:48 PM

http://i.imgur.com/dSuaHkW.jpg

keg in kc 12-08-2017 01:02 PM

<iframe width="682" height="384" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cy8iBBtrKAI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted via Mobile Device

crayzkirk 10-30-2018 02:34 PM

The writing has gone off the rails; all the negativity towards men along with the constant reminder that Bill was gay really started to annoy me last season. The new season has started the series from scratch and although Jodie is a great actor, the writing is going to sink this.

Exterminate the writers!

vailpass 10-30-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 13857456)
The writing has gone off the rails; all the negativity towards men along with the constant reminder that Bill was gay really started to annoy me last season. The new season has started the series from scratch and although Jodie is a great actor, the writing is going to sink this.

Exterminate the writers!

I tried to watch it. They’ve ruined one of the most venerable traditions on tv with social justice nonsense. WTF happened to Great Britain?

(Nice Dalek line.)

listopencil 10-31-2018 01:33 PM

It's pretty early on to get a good feel for it. I'm still in the "love the old Dr/hate the new Dr" phase that usually happens with each new regen. It's heavy on the SJW shit, but I mostly enjoy the actress so far. She's gotta stop holding the sonic in that goofy way when she uses it though. It's annoying.

lawrenceRaider 10-31-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 13857456)

Exterminate the writers!

Bill had finally grown into her role when they took her out. Sad really. She was so damn annoying to start!

crayzkirk 11-01-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13859904)
It's pretty early on to get a good feel for it. I'm still in the "love the old Dr/hate the new Dr" phase that usually happens with each new regen. It's heavy on the SJW shit, but I mostly enjoy the actress so far. She's gotta stop holding the sonic in that goofy way when she uses it though. It's annoying.

Yeah, it takes some time to adjust. The companions are just sort of meh...

stumppy 11-25-2018 08:21 PM

What the **** have they done! I'm trying to like this but ****.

stumppy 01-01-2019 08:37 PM

JFC, they're going to kill the series.

Rausch 01-02-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 14001704)
JFC, they're going to kill the series.

Get woke - go broke...

keg in kc 01-02-2019 03:15 PM

Not sure what the complaint is. The New Year's episode gave me more hope for the next series/season than any other episode. I thought it was a good, interesting new take on the Daleks. One being that dangerous was kind of cool after years of swarms of Daleks being the threat. Could I have done without some of the angst with Dad during the first half hour? Sure. But it sure picked up in the second half. Solid ep.

crayzkirk 01-02-2019 04:11 PM

It was an improvement however Jodi doesn't really evoke any sort of threatening personality when confronting the Dalek. There was way too much Bad Dad in the episode as well. BrExit and the shutdown of UNIT along with all of the stupid white males dying kept in tune with the season pattern.

The doctor scanned the male character however the female character which had seen the squid didn't need to be scanned?

I hear it's going to be another two years until we get more Doctor Who. That's fine with me.

alpha_omega 05-03-2020 03:10 PM

I suppose this could be old news, but we discovered the Pluto TV app on our Roku and it has a classic 24/7 Dr. Who channel. There are a handful of commercials, but i've been enjoying it....

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/doctor-who-classic

https://pluto.tv/where-to-watch

listopencil 05-04-2020 12:59 AM

I got a few episodes into this season and then just gave up. It was during an episode where it was revealed that global warming had turned humans into slow moving lizards that breathed carbon dioxide.

https://media.giphy.com/media/106PwpLIIXJnXi/giphy.gif

vailpass 05-04-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14951332)
I got a few episodes into this season and then just gave up. It was during an episode where it was revealed that global warming had turned humans into slow moving lizards that breathed carbon dioxide.

LMAO
Really? They just had to go with Dr. Ho and kill off a perfectly good franchise.

crayzkirk 05-04-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14951783)
LMAO
Really? They just had to go with Dr. Ho and kill off a perfectly good franchise.

hahahahahahahahahaha...

That's funny. Dr. Ho!

listopencil 05-04-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14951783)
LMAO

It was pretty bad when they had Dr Who say that Rosa Parks changed the universe but I kept watching. Finally did give up as the show itself never got any better. Weak characters, poor writing, their accents are pretty horrible, and the Dr herself is pretty lame. Not the actress. She's fine, but she has nothing to work with.

crayzkirk 05-04-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14953253)
It was pretty bad when they had Dr Who say that Rosa Parks changed the universe but I kept watching. Finally did give up as the show itself never got any better. Weak characters, poor writing, their accents are pretty horrible, and the Dr herself is pretty lame. Not the actress. She's fine, but she has nothing to work with.

I'm sad because I have great memories of the show. It was never great TV however it was usually entertaining. Now it's just preachy garbage. The men are either weak or bad stereotypes and the women are Mary Sue types.

listopencil 05-05-2020 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 14953305)
I'm sad because I have great memories of the show. It was never great TV however it was usually entertaining. Now it's just preachy garbage. The men are either weak or bad stereotypes and the women are Mary Sue types.

I really enjoyed it as a kid in the 70's. Tom Baker is 'my' Doctor. But the newer series caught my attention and I have enjoyed it. The show has been going downhill since Capaldi's second season. I thought he did a great job but the material was pretty bad. And now Jodie Whittaker is kind of stuck on a bad show. They got some backlash and came out saying that they were going to 'double down' on the bullshit. The people who run the show are just using it as a virtue signal platform and it sucks. They're running it into the ground.

crayzkirk 05-05-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14953738)
I really enjoyed it as a kid in the 70's. Tom Baker is 'my' Doctor. But the newer series caught my attention and I have enjoyed it. The show has been going downhill since Capaldi's second season. I thought he did a great job but the material was pretty bad. And now Jodie Whittaker is kind of stuck on a bad show. They got some backlash and came out saying that they were going to 'double down' on the bullshit. The people who run the show are just using it as a virtue signal platform and it sucks. They're running it into the ground.

Yeah, the second season with Clara got pretty bad. She was always one upping the Doctor, threatening to slap him silly, etc. Remaking the Master as a woman was an interesting twist and the actress playing the character did a pretty good job.

I've forgotten the name of the companion that was making sure everyone knew that she was gay at every opportunity. That was the beginning of the final straw that sent the show off the rails.

vailpass 05-05-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14953253)

If they had given her the kind of writing Matt Smith had she would have had a chance. If they needed to work in some kind of woke message they could have paired her off with Amy Pond as lesbian lovers outside of time and space.

listopencil 05-05-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14954531)
If they needed to work in some kind of woke message they could have paired her off with Amy Pond as lesbian lovers outside of time and space.

Mmmmmm...

vailpass 05-05-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14954705)
Mmmmmm...

Yeah, that’d be enough to make my angel weep.

listopencil 05-11-2020 02:08 PM

It just occurred to me recently that Jodie Whittaker may be, consciously or subconsciously, doing a Dave Tennant impersonation. Or at least she's trying to infect that manic sensibility into the character that he brought. They did work together and appear to be good friends. Problem is that his Doctor was more of a focal point in the show than hers and the quality of the show at that time was much higher. Too bad.