ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Star Wars: The Old Republic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204523)

NewChief 10-07-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7975451)
Uhm, yeah, that can happen, although as you mention the exercise helps a lot. Eating better and sleeping like a regular person seems to help, too.

My job isn't a whole lot different than gaming binges, either.

Basically it's like anything else: if you go to extremes there will be bad side effects. I can do this for a weekend. I won't play like this after release though. At least not after the first couple of weeks (which will be crazy...). It'll balance out to a few hours a night eventually.

That's cool. There's definitely a part of me that envies you... weekend gaming binges are fun... but impossible with kids. ;)

keg in kc 10-14-2011 07:24 PM

Word from NY Comic-Con earlier that there are 15 flashpoints in for launch, 12 of them shared between both factions.

Today's update video (unrelated):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4oy-2E4YQpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Huffmeister 10-15-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7995456)
Word from NY Comic-Con earlier that there are 15 flashpoints in for launch, 12 of them shared between both factions.

Today's update video (unrelated):

Very cool. I can't wait until 12/20. After last weekend's beta test, I'm finding it hard to get back into playing WoW.

keg in kc 10-15-2011 12:51 PM

I've heard a lot of people say that. I'm not in any MMOs right now, but after my first weekend I had a hard time playing any other games at all.

kcxiv 10-15-2011 01:12 PM

im probably going to play a bit, but then again i havent seriously played an MMO since like 2009. So, it should be fun. Just not going to play like i used to in the early to mid 2000's lol.

keg in kc 10-16-2011 01:43 PM

So, if you ignore the ventrillo mumblings of the guys in the background, this video does a pretty good job at getting across the sheer scale of Tatooine. It's pretty huge. Like if I'd been playing last weekend I might have ridden around for 45 minutes on my speeder and not done much more than skim around the edges.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MqhctSbvdvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Huffmeister 10-17-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7998705)
So, if you ignore the ventrillo mumblings of the guys in the background, this video does a pretty good job at getting across the sheer scale of Tatooine. It's pretty huge. Like if I'd been playing last weekend I might have ridden around for 45 minutes on my speeder and not done much more than skim around the edges.

That's awesome. Glad to see some open-world stuff. And you're right, the ventrillo commentary was annoying :)

hometeam 10-18-2011 08:27 AM

I got a chance to beta last weekend, and I am quite unimpressed, the game feels like a grind.

duncan_idaho 10-18-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7974928)
<---
Spoiler!

Where is that info?

Huffmeister 10-18-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 8003492)
I got a chance to beta last weekend, and I am quite unimpressed, the game feels like a grind.

What other MMOs have you played? Just curious, because I thought this felt like less of a grind than pretty much any other MMO that I've played.

keg in kc 10-18-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8003891)
What other MMOs have you played? Just curious, because I thought this felt like less of a grind than pretty much any other MMO that I've played.

I lean to your way of thinking. To me it feels much more like an RPG than an MMO. Which is ironic since they're all supposed to be MMORPGs. Either way, in the 100 or so hours I've put in I've never hit a point where it felt like I was grinding in any way. I might even go the other way and say the leveling is too fast.

But different people have different tastes.

Huffmeister 10-19-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8004280)
To me it feels much more like an RPG than an MMO. Which is ironic since they're all supposed to be MMORPGs.

It's funny because I was actually going to say "it's like a multiplayer single-player RPG", then I realized how stupid that sounds. :) But I think there's some truth in that. It feels like a single-player RPG that just happens to have other players running around.

keg in kc 10-19-2011 05:19 PM

I liken it to the love-child of Mass Effect and KOTOR, but co-op.

Looks like we'll be getting a flood of "official"-type media impressions starting tomorrow:
Quote:

IGN has been tooling around in the Old Republic beta for the last week or two, and we're just about ready to spew forth (in the best way possible) a whole heap of information. Tomorrow at 9 AM Pacific you can look forward to a pile of new content. Then starting Monday (the 24th) and lasting through to Friday (the 28th) we'll be posting a brand new Old Republic article every. Single. Day.

So if you want the latest on The Old Republic, be sure to check back very, very soon. In the meantime, though, enjoy the opening cinematic that will greet you every time you boot up

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210147p1.html
More from Stephen Reid:
Quote:

“As others have noted, we have a press embargo on #SWTOR dropping tomorrow. We’ve had press in for a while. Testers are still under NDA. That means if you’re in testing, you’re still bound by NDA. Only press who have been admitted will be sharing their impressions.”
While none of it's going to affect my own impressions (let's just say I haven't cancelled my CE pre-order after playing...), it'll be interesting seeing what the press says.

Servers are being taken down this weekend for a new build, too, so I've heard.

keg in kc 10-21-2011 04:25 PM

ROFLMAOWTF?!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nyeZ8khSEC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(weren't the pandarens originally a joke?)

Fish 10-21-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8029649)
ROFLMAOWTF?!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nyeZ8khSEC0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

(weren't the pandarens originally a joke?)

Is that legit?? That's the dumbest damn thing I've ever seen....

keg in kc 10-21-2011 04:33 PM

As far as I know it's completely legit. That's one of the big announcements at Blizzcon today. That and that people who had 12-month subscriptions to WoW get free Diablo 3. And talent trees are revamped:
Quote:

Talent System 2.0[*]The talent system is gone! Ok, not really, but it's greatly changed.[*]You now have your class abilities, your spec abilities, and your talents.[*]You still choose your spec at level 10, and you get a spec ability at level 10. You will get additional spec abilities later. If there is anything that you really need to function, they will just be given to you to make sure you have all the tools you need to have.

Example - Prot Paladin

LVL 10 - Avenger's Shield
LVL 20 - Hammer of the Righteous (Prot and Ret)
LVL 30 - Judgement of the Just (Passive)

Talents

There are no talent points or ranks.
There is one talent tree per class.
You earn talents every 15 levels.
You get to choose 1 out of 3 every time you get a new point, you can only pick one of them and can't go back to get the other ones.
There will be no mandatory talent.
You can now change talents as easily as you change glyphs
I was expecting some kind of Titan announcement to counter TOR, and they deliver this....whatever this is...

Fish 10-21-2011 04:34 PM

Kung Fu Panda?

keg in kc 10-21-2011 04:39 PM

I have no idea if this is legit or not. I haven't played WoW for years, but people seem dumbfounded right now:
Quote:

Hunter minimum range is gone!
Hunter melee weapon is gone!
Ranged slot for all other characters are gone.
Relics are gone.
Rogues and warriors can now throw their melee weapon
Wands become main hand weapons
Apparently there's some kind of new pvp arena that's basically a xerox of huttball, too.

Barret 10-22-2011 12:55 PM

Wow....uhm I am speechless. If the silly Cataclysm content and changes didn't drive me away, then holy hell this would.

I am unsure about it being a goof but someone doesn't make all that graphical stuff and then put it in a mini trailer for no reason. If it was April 1st then I know they have done some wacky things to do the April Fools Joke but we aren't anywhere close to that.

This would be almost Sony / Star wars Galaxies foolish if they did that.

*on edit after reading more: The creators of Kung Fu Panda should be suing the crap out of Blizzard.

GordonGekko 10-22-2011 02:07 PM

They really need to make WoW free to play

keg in kc 10-22-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 8036535)
Wow....uhm I am speechless. If the silly Cataclysm content and changes didn't drive me away, then holy hell this would.

I am unsure about it being a goof but someone doesn't make all that graphical stuff and then put it in a mini trailer for no reason. If it was April 1st then I know they have done some wacky things to do the April Fools Joke but we aren't anywhere close to that.

This would be almost Sony / Star wars Galaxies foolish if they did that.

*on edit after reading more: The creators of Kung Fu Panda should be suing the crap out of Blizzard.

Ironic that you would say that. Pandarens were originally an April Fools joke. They predate Kung Fu Fanda by years, so they should be okay there.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/

keg in kc 10-22-2011 03:43 PM

Speaking of free-to-play, it looks like DC Universe is going free-to-play soon™. Might give that a few weeks as something to hold me over until early december.

The wait for TOR's getting real bad for me.

kcxiv 10-22-2011 07:31 PM

DC Universe had SOOOO much promise, but level 30 was ****ing ass, and their chat system was ****ing terrible all because of the ps3 version.

SoE always ****s up games that have much much promise.

Huffmeister 10-24-2011 08:44 AM

I like the idea of a new class and new race that can be either Alliance or Horde, but other than that it seems like a whole lot of meh. But I'm more of a casual WoW player, so maybe there is something there to get excited for.

I'm just trying to wait patiently for SWTOR... trying :evil:

allen_kcCard 10-24-2011 08:56 AM

Was talking to the wife about getting two copies of this, one for me, and one for my 9 year old so we can play it together. I told her I thought he was old enough to think it was awesome once he figured it out, and to test it out without ruining any suprise, I asked him to take a look at the video posted in the link above that has the opening cutscene of the game.

So I pull up the video and start playing it with him there with me and he says..."Oh! The old Republic! I was trying to sign up for that game." I was suprised he knew the name of it on sight, but thought he might have just been reading it from the screen, so I asked him what he meant by "sign up" since it was a game that wasn't out yet. He said "yeah, I know, but they are doing some sort of testing thing." I said "beta test?" "Yeah, that, I tried signing up for it, but they wouldn't take my e-mail for some reason, I found it on (some random starwars site that has little kid games on it)."

I only laughed and said cool, and then told the wife later, Yeah, I think he would be good with getting that for Christmas...he was already trying to sign up for beta testing. She said...what is beta testing?

Huffmeister 10-26-2011 11:58 AM

I'd like to find a good Old Republic podcast, but the ones I've found so far have just been "meh". Which is understandable, since the game isn't even out yet. But I'd still like to find one with hosts that don't annoy me.

keg in kc 10-26-2011 12:13 PM

The only ones I'm familiar with are darth hater's, mos eisley radio and corellian run radio. I don't really listen to any of them though. They don't generally cover anything I don't already know...

Raiderhater58 10-27-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8044352)
Was talking to the wife about getting two copies of this, one for me, and one for my 9 year old so we can play it together. I told her I thought he was old enough to think it was awesome once he figured it out, and to test it out without ruining any suprise, I asked him to take a look at the video posted in the link above that has the opening cutscene of the game.

So I pull up the video and start playing it with him there with me and he says..."Oh! The old Republic! I was trying to sign up for that game." I was suprised he knew the name of it on sight, but thought he might have just been reading it from the screen, so I asked him what he meant by "sign up" since it was a game that wasn't out yet. He said "yeah, I know, but they are doing some sort of testing thing." I said "beta test?" "Yeah, that, I tried signing up for it, but they wouldn't take my e-mail for some reason, I found it on (some random starwars site that has little kid games on it)."

I only laughed and said cool, and then told the wife later, Yeah, I think he would be good with getting that for Christmas...he was already trying to sign up for beta testing. She said...what is beta testing?

Im doing the same for my 8 year old, he knows he's getting it tho. Im also beta testing so he's seen it and cant wait to play with Dad :) good times ahead

allen_kcCard 10-27-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhater58 (Post 8052030)
Im doing the same for my 8 year old, he knows he's getting it tho. Im also beta testing so he's seen it and cant wait to play with Dad :) good times ahead

I pulled out KOTOR2 and have been playing it since he showed interest in Old Republic and he has been hooked on watching me play that. He is grounded currently, so he can't play though.

I need to get another computer for us both to be able to play when the new one comes out though, gotta get moving on that.

jd1020 10-27-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8052084)
I pulled out KOTOR2 and have been playing it since he showed interest in Old Republic and he has been hooked on watching me play that. He is grounded currently, so he can't play though.

I need to get another computer for us both to be able to play when the new one comes out though, gotta get moving on that.

Should donate $1500 to me so I can build a new one and dump this 2002 Dell.

keg in kc 10-27-2011 10:35 AM

I'm going to finish kotor sometime in the next week or so, and then going to install kotor 2 and the tslrcm restoration mod. It'll be the first time I've played it since it was released.

allen_kcCard 10-28-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8052383)
Should donate $1500 to me so I can build a new one and dump this 2002 Dell.

If I had $1500 to burn like that, I'd already have a new rig and not have $1500 to burn any longer.

allen_kcCard 10-28-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhater58 (Post 8052030)

Since I probably won't be able to get a good computer paid for by Christmas with needing to do the actual Christmas shopping as well, I am thinking we will probably just get one copy that is my son's and play the crap out of my own character on his account as well, and then shoot for a new rig and a second copy when we recover from the Christmas spending.

My Bday is Jan 20th, so I have all sorts of excuses to get the ball rolling.

Barret 11-03-2011 03:23 PM

Hey an update for everyone. I know I joined in on the Right fifty three guild but we might need more people. There is a Guild Phase 3 incoming beta release. Let me copy and paste....

Phase 3: Deployment will see any guild that meets the pre-designated criteria be transferred into the game for launch. Before we begin this process, though, we want to give all of you who are in guilds the opportunity to make sure your guild meets the following requirement for transfer:

Four members of the guild must have pre-ordered the game and redeemed their Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center.

I got this information from here:

http://darthhater.com/category/swtor-news

Pants 11-03-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 8076726)
Hey an update for everyone. I know I joined in on the Right fifty three guild but we might need more people. There is a Guild Phase 3 incoming beta release. Let me copy and paste....

Phase 3: Deployment will see any guild that meets the pre-designated criteria be transferred into the game for launch. Before we begin this process, though, we want to give all of you who are in guilds the opportunity to make sure your guild meets the following requirement for transfer:

Four members of the guild must have pre-ordered the game and redeemed their Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center.

OK, don't we have 4 at this point?

Huffmeister 11-03-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 8076726)

I just checked the guild page and it says that four or more members have pre-ordered and that we are ready for deployment. So I think we're good to go. Thanks for the heads-up, though. I wasn't sure what the actual pre-reqs were going to be.

Also, just an FYI, the guild has its own public and private forums. But I think we should still keep most of the chatter here. That might entice others here to come join the fun :)

Nightfyre 11-04-2011 12:02 AM

I have applied bitches!

allen_kcCard 11-07-2011 11:10 AM

For those of you that have gotten to test it, how does the game "feel" in comparison to WoW, if you played that.

So much of the stuff that I have seen just looks like WoW with blasters and lightsabers, from the talent trees, to PvP/PvE setups, etc. Looks like instances are called flashpoints, and I've seen talks of raid types of those as well.

Not saying that it is a good or a bad thing, I am just hoping I can avoid getting into the trap of 2-3 hour 40 man instance raids where I have to deal with the wife aggro for a week just to make a run in MC or whatever the raid of the night is.

keg in kc 11-07-2011 12:51 PM

You'll get a lot of different answers to that one. It's pretty common to hear people say it basically is WoW with blasters and lightsabers, but it feels a lot more like an actual RPG to me than it does WoW. Maybe it's just the cutscenes and the dialogue wheel, but when I've played, it's felt like it's part KOTOR, part Dragon Age 2 and part Mass Effect 2. The talent trees are very similar, but outside of that combat is pretty different. There's no autoattack, to start, so you're constantly doing something. There's a ton of combat skills, as well, and when you fight (with your companion, if we're talking solo play here) you're usually fighting groups of 3-5 enemies. The regeneration system is pretty unique, too, which is something I think a lot of beta players don't even realize, in that you rengerate faster the more power/energy/ammo you have, so instead of burning all your pool and waiting for it to regen, the focus for better players will be utilizing skills in such a way that you're always in a sweet spot, with fastest regeneration, rather than in other games as, say a healer, where you're just spamming heals, and counting on either potions or other players to give you more power when you run low or run out.

I did not group at all in the time I played, primarily because it was limited, but also because I wanted to enjoy the group content fresh with my friends later, so I can't really comment on that stuff. Mostly I hear that people love the flashpoints. The operation hasn't been on general test yet, so I haven't seen very much leaked information about that.

I think the best way I can describe it is to say that it's very traditional MMO gameplay with some innovation in the areas for which BioWare is most well-known. The companions are pretty fantastic (not just pets), the dialogue and cutscenes make it feel like an actual RPG instead of just a grind-fest (this is not a negative, fwiw, that's part of the reason I've played them, the grind...) the way MMO's have been previously. I would say it's basically taking the best elements out of a number of traditional MMOs, making them all a little better, and handing out an extremely polished, and for me extremely enjoyable end product.

It does not, however, reinvent the wheel...

Silock 11-07-2011 12:53 PM

What is the WoW-equivalent of a flashpoint? I'm not sure I really understand that terminology.

Pants 11-07-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8089185)
What is the WoW-equivalent of a flashpoint? I'm not sure I really understand that terminology.

Flashpoint = Dungeon = Instance. I think.

keg in kc 11-07-2011 12:56 PM

Instance. Although in TOR they're 4-man rather than 6. There's I think 15 of them total, starting around level 10.

Operations are raids, and they can be run 8-man or 16.

Everything has a variety of difficulty levels. They had normal and hard versions when I played (solo story instances could be tuned this way as well in the last build I played), there's rumors of a third difficulty level at some point as well as level 50 heroic versions for all the flashpoints.

Huffmeister 11-07-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8089178)
I think the best way I can describe it is to say that it's very traditional MMO gameplay with some innovation in the areas for which BioWare is most well-known. The companions are pretty fantastic (not just pets), the dialogue and cutscenes make it feel like an actual RPG instead of just a grind-fest (this is not a negative, fwiw, that's part of the reason I've played them, the grind...) the way MMO's have been previously. I would say it's basically taking the best elements out of a number of traditional MMOs, making them all a little better, and handing out an extremely polished, and for me extremely enjoyable end product.

It does not, however, reinvent the wheel...

That pretty much sums it up. I can't speak much to raiding, because I actually enjoy grinding more than raiding and end-game content. Once I hit level cap, I'm more interested in running 5-man pug instances or starting a new character than I am in joining a raid team. I think it's mostly because I'm a casual player that can't commit to playing on a schedule.

The story and cutscene interactions are what I enjoyed the most. I can't wait to dive in again and really get immersed in the story. To the point where I look forward to "what happens next" rather than just getting to the next level.

I grouped a bit for some lowbie quests (about level 4-5). It was decent, but there are no chat bubbles which made it kind of hard to communicate, especially because the chat window isn't in a corner that I'm used to.

All in all, I'm counting the days until 12-20. I've tried to get back into WoW, but I usually end up wanting to play something else within half an hour. I guess I just didn't realize how burnt out I was on WoW.

allen_kcCard 11-07-2011 02:22 PM

The main thing I am looking forward to on this is playing it with my son. He is 9 now, and it will be his first time playing a real game that I have an interest in. He plays a lot of WII, and DS and iPod games, and I've played some of them with him, but they are typically always games that I'm only playing because they are ones he was interested in and I could "get past" something he was having trouble with.

An MMO like this is one where I think it will be a blast to jump into something and have him in tow or leading the way and we can go down in flames, or wonder how the heck we got through something together. I know he will Leroy Jenkins my ass here and there, but picturing his little shit eating smirk of "oops" afterwards is a lot of what I'm looking forward to.

keg in kc 11-07-2011 02:49 PM

I think it'll be good for that. There's stuff on every planet you can do together beyond just the class missions that take you there. heroic 2s and 2+s. You might need to find a couple of other friends to do the 4s or flashpoints.

I think it should be mostly okay for a 9-year old, too. There's some stuff he may not understand, and there's some dark, mature themes (mostly on the empire side, but also on the republic) but I don't remember much that was like 'oh god, they can't let kids see that".

allen_kcCard 11-07-2011 02:52 PM

Yeah, we will probably roll with some of the other CP people here in the right 53 guild, and pickups as needed. It depends some on how well he picks things up. I'll try to teach him things mostly with just us two so he doesn't make things harder on others if he is feeling things out, but he has gotten pretty damn good and finding what works.

I am hoping he can be a nice wife aggro dump as well. If he is begging me to play with him, she can't be mad, right? Right?

Pants 11-07-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8089576)
I think it'll be good for that. There's stuff on every planet you can do together beyond just the class missions that take you there. heroic 2s and 2+s. You might need to find a couple of other friends to do the 4s or flashpoints.

I think it should be mostly okay for a 9-year old, too. There's some stuff he may not understand, and there's some dark, mature themes (mostly on the empire side, but also on the republic) but I don't remember much that was like 'oh god, they can't let kids see that".

I'm more worried about his kid getting absolutely hooked. Thankfully, he can rely on daddy to apply the brakes for him. Us adults - not so much. LOL

allen_kcCard 11-07-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8089589)
I'm more worried about his kid getting absolutely hooked. Thankfully, he can rely on mommy to apply the brakes for him. Us adults - not so much. LOL

FYP

Kidding of course. I'll definately use it against him the more and more he gets into it. Homework done right, room clean, keeping his nose clean, showers longer than 15 seconds, brushed teeth and all that. He earns it, and I'll vouch for him tearing it up in a game like this.

keg in kc 11-07-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8089589)
I'm more worried about his kid getting absolutely hooked. Thankfully, he can rely on daddy to apply the brakes for him. Us adults - not so much. LOL

Yeah. I'm so worried about that game just destroying my life in 2012. I played it 18 hours a day both beta weekends. LMAO

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 08:43 AM

For you Right 53 guild folks, who is planning what sorts of classes? I saw we had a mix of like 4 Jedi Knights, a few Consulars, and some others I can't remember right now because the site is down for maintenance, but what sort of builds are you planning?

I am leaning towards going with a tanking build, JediKnight myself. Planning on playing a lot with my son, and figured that a personal tank will be the best option for whatever he ends up wanting to do. Can't talk it over with him yet since it will be a Christmas present for him, so can't really talk about it yet.

kaplin42 11-08-2011 10:06 AM

Some friends of mine and I formed a Sith guild.

Would be fun to to be Adversaries of the Right 53.

Will the GL send me a pm if interested.

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8091390)
For you Right 53 guild folks, who is planning what sorts of classes? I saw we had a mix of like 4 Jedi Knights, a few Consulars, and some others I can't remember right now because the site is down for maintenance, but what sort of builds are you planning?

I am leaning towards going with a tanking build, JediKnight myself. Planning on playing a lot with my son, and figured that a personal tank will be the best option for whatever he ends up wanting to do. Can't talk it over with him yet since it will be a Christmas present for him, so can't really talk about it yet.

I played a variety of classes over my weekend, and I'm still not sure which class I'm going to play :) I was thinking Jedi Knight, but I may go with Smuggler since we have so many JKs already. Or we could just be a JK-heavy guild.

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8091560)
Some friends of mine and I formed a Sith guild.

Would be fun to to be Adversaries of the Right 53.

Will the GL send me a pm if interested.

What does being Adversaries do for the guilds? (I'm the GL, btw)

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 11:39 AM

I am thinking now that I might have two characters going starting out. The tank to play with my son mostly, and keep pace with him leveling, and maybe a consular shadow as well because it sounds pretty cool.

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8091781)
What does being Adversaries do for the guilds? (I'm the GL, btw)

"Do Allies and Adversaries have any in-game effect on our guild?

Allies and Adversaries are a web-feature only. This phase exists solely to help determine your guild’s server placement in-game.
"

So....all it would do is help their sith guild get on the same server as us.

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 11:42 AM

Cool, thanks for the info. And thanks for providing it without the "let me google that for you" link :)

I'd be down for having a Sith guild as an adversary.

keg in kc 11-08-2011 12:32 PM

I would say not to worry too much about which class you start with. You'll probably end up playing more than one. Alts aren't just something to burn down time with in this game.

kaplin42 11-08-2011 01:49 PM

I also wanted to add that I know that The Right Fifty Three is a Republic guild, but should any of you want to try the imperial side after the game is launched, just hit me up and I will add you to my guild, Wookie Crisps.

Please note, not competeing for members, just an alternative for anyone that wanted to try out the dark side.

keg in kc 11-08-2011 02:15 PM

Looks like they're doing another test weekend starting Friday.

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8092251)
I also wanted to add that I know that The Right Fifty Three is a Republic guild, but should any of you want to try the imperial side after the game is launched, just hit me up and I will add you to my guild, Wookie Crisps.

Please note, not competeing for members, just an alternative for anyone that wanted to try out the dark side.

Yeah, I'll definitely be creating a Sith toon at some point. I'll hit you up after I create him.

The Right Fifty Three are now adversaries with Wookie Crisps.

kaplin42 11-08-2011 02:38 PM

As I was saying to Huff, it would be really cool if it would match adversaries in the pvp warfronts.

That would be an awesome feature to the game.

Fish 11-08-2011 02:46 PM

I'm hoping to add a Gunslinger to the Right 53. But I'm worried that I'm not going to be available enough to be a contributing member of a guild.... I've never really been part of a guild before though, so I'm not sure how that's looked upon. Is there a participation requirement or anything?

Pants 11-08-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8092433)
I'm hoping to add a Gunslinger to the Right 53. But I'm worried that I'm not going to be available enough to be a contributing member of a guild.... I've never really been part of a guild before though, so I'm not sure how that's looked upon. Is there a participation requirement or anything?

Depends on the guild, I'm sure. Ours is going to be uber casual.

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8092433)

You will be required to be my DPS biotch any time myself and my son require it and you are online and looking for something to do. Your job will be to shoot things, and the only rewards will exp, and phat lewts suitable for a gunslinger or an equal split of things no one really needs. I know it is strict, but you will just have to suck it up.

Pants 11-08-2011 02:54 PM

i <3 phat lewtz

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8092439)
Depends on the guild, I'm sure. Ours is going to be uber casual.

Yeah, I'd even go so far as to call it "half-assed" :)

Seriously, though, The Right Fifty Three was mainly created as just a place CPers to gather for launch. Help each other out in-game, ask questions in guild chat, discuss the game here when we can't play, etc, etc. As I was telling Kaplin, if it turns into a long-term guild, that would be great. But we're definitely not expecting any kind of commitment from any member. Stay as long as you like. If you play with us for a while and find another guild you'd like to join, go for it.

Anyone is welcome to join, CP member or not.

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 08:06 PM

WHOO!!!

You Have Been Selected to Test STAR WARS: The Old Republic!

Barret 11-08-2011 09:56 PM

Well hell, I just got this in from Bioware.....

This is the phase you've been waiting for. We're ready to begin importing* your guild, The Right Fifty Three, into the game. Your guild must have at least four members who have pre-ordered the game and redeemed their pre-order codes at The Code Redemption Center before the end of the Pre-Launch Guild Program††. Check your guild's qualification status now.

But I don't have a "you have been selected" thing yet.

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8093208)
WHOO!!!

Awesome! Have fun with it. It goes by really quick!

Huffmeister 11-08-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 8093494)
Well hell, I just got this in from Bioware.....

This is the phase you've been waiting for. We're ready to begin importing* your guild, The Right Fifty Three, into the game. Your guild must have at least four members who have pre-ordered the game and redeemed their pre-order codes at The Code Redemption Center before the end of the Pre-Launch Guild Program††. Check your guild's qualification status now.

But I don't have a "you have been selected" thing yet.

Yeah, I got that same email. It doesn't have anything to do with testing. We will probably be getting another email soon that tells us which server the guild will be on.

jspchief 11-09-2011 09:27 AM

Is this PC only? Anyone have a link to spec requirements?

Sent from my ADR6350

Whoarethechefs 11-09-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

WHOO!!!

Gratz!, I've been tryin to get in forever, this will be the first MMO I've played that I didn't Beta first, but i think it will be nice going in blind.

Huffmeister 11-09-2011 09:32 AM

I'm pretty sure it's PC only. Here are the System Requirements from Wikipedia (the official site is down for maintenance):

System requirements:
Microsoft Windows

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better
Memory: At least 1.5 GB RAM for XP / 2 GB or better for Windows Vista/7
Graphics: ATI XT1800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better. 256 MB minimum video RAM, shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.
DVD-ROM: 8x or better

Huffmeister 11-09-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

WHOO!!!

And be sure to check out the forums for your testing group (squadron). In the days leading up to the test, I found a lot of useful information in there that really helped me hit the ground running when they finally opened up the servers.

But my squadron had testers from the previous test weekend (like Keg), so I'm not sure how much info there will be for yours.

Are you going to test it with your son? Or are you going to try and keep it a secret?

allen_kcCard 11-09-2011 10:29 AM

Yeah, I am going to let him watch and play some himself as well. Still keeping it a secret that he is getting it, but this is perfect because now I can talk to him about it more unitl Christmas.

Only bad thing is we have plans to go to my parents for the weekend, but I'll try to hang at my brothers (mom and dad don't have internet) and play from there on the laptop, which should give me a chance to see if my brother might take up the game as well. I might be my saving grace though...will be away from the wife and her finding excuses for me to not be playing, and will also have some build in breaks so I don't play for all 55 hours.

Hays 11-09-2011 11:12 AM

I got my invite, am downloading it now. However its from Nov 11-13 so stress tests sounds like. Not sure if we will get to continue after that.

Huffmeister 11-09-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hays (Post 8094581)
I got my invite, am downloading it now. However its from Nov 11-13 so stress tests sounds like. Not sure if we will get to continue after that.

If it gives a date range, then that's it. I think I read on the forums dev tracker that this weekend's beta is to stress test the east coast data center.

Have fun!

Barret 11-09-2011 12:03 PM

Well I spoke too soon, I got my invite. I went to accept it and it says the site is down for maintenance. LOL oh well. I will keep trying. I at least brought my computer to work so I can cheat and use the fiber connection we have to download the game from here. :P

keg in kc 11-09-2011 06:23 PM

couple of my guildmates got in as well. It'll be interesting seeing their reaction. Father/son team, but not like with you guys. The son's around 20, they're both good friends of mine. They started gaming together with lotro in 2008, met them back then.

keg in kc 11-09-2011 08:44 PM

I haven't posted a whole lot of leaks on here, but I thought this one was worth it. There hasn't been anti-aliasing for any of the builds I've played, the game's looked fantastic artistically, but rough-edged. But now...enter anti-aliasing.