ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Who is ready for College Hoops? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265836)

Saul Good 03-08-2013 09:25 AM

The B1G is exciting basketball as evidenced by the fact that Nebraska just stormed the court after beating an unranked Minnesota team last night.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9476499)
The B1G is exciting basketball as evidenced by the fact that Nebraska just stormed the court after beating an unranked Minnesota team last night.

So many more Big 10 teams than Big 12 in the tourney this year...

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9476460)
FYP

B1G is THE premier basketball conference this year. there is no valid argument otherwise. it is what it is.

hatas gonna hate.

Pretty much!

Ceej 03-08-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9476499)

Was Billay leading the charge?

Pablo 03-08-2013 09:43 AM

Sure the B1G is the best conference this year. It's also the most boring to watch. SEC football is the best. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy defensive struggles.

Pablo 03-08-2013 09:44 AM

I see Indiana and Michigan fans are enjoying their return to relevance. Good for you guys.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9476557)
Sure the B1G is the best conference this year. It's also the most boring to watch. SEC football is the best. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy defensive struggles.

Boring? Ahh, you are used to big fish/little pond basketball in the Big 12. After all, when 4 teams perenially in your conference aspire to taking second place year after year, it must be nail biting to enjoy.

It is weird that the conference pretty much fell apart.

Saul Good 03-08-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476530)
Was Billay leading the charge?

No. It was some doughy ginger dude.

Bearcat 03-08-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Apparently a lot of B1G folks don't understand the difference between 'entertaining' and 'effective'.

Ceej 03-08-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9476577)
No. It was some doughy ginger dude.

Wait...

Isn't that Billay?

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9476586)
Apparently a lot of B1G folks don't understand the difference between 'entertaining' and 'effective'.

Tell me the last time a team other than KU was "Effective" in the Big 12. I am thinking about 10 years ago when OK State made some noise.

Saul Good 03-08-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476595)
Tell me the last time a team other than KU was "Effective" in the Big 12. I am thinking about 10 years ago when OK State made some noise.

When is the last time the B1G brought home the title? Here's a hint, it was over a decade ago...and you'd have to go back more than a decade again to get to the one before that.

frankotank 03-08-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476468)
I do agree it is the best. But it is super top heavy.

Iowa, NW, PSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue and Minnesota are all pretty awful.

well, Minnesota has had their moments. but typically a B1G game doesn't necessarily have a predetermined outcome....like frigging Penn St beating Michigan....who woulda thunk. I don't see it as boring at all....UNLESS Wisconsin is involved. the Badgers just have a horrific game plan. bore you to death.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9476586)

You gotta be shitting me!
Michigan is one of the highest scoring teams in the nation. what the **** do you want man?

how many B1G games have you actually WATCHED this year?

Pablo 03-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476573)
Boring? Ahh, you are used to big fish/little pond basketball in the Big 12. After all, when 4 teams perenially in your conference aspire to taking second place year after year, it must be nail biting to enjoy.

Congrats on your one year of being the best conference. Enjoy it while you can.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9476608)
When is the last time the B1G brought home the title? Here's a hint, it was over a decade ago...and you'd have to go back more than a decade again to get to the one before that.

When is the last time a Big 12 did not including Kansas? I went back to 1964 and didn't see one. Maybe I missed it? Meanwhile I see a mere 3 appearances in the last decade for the Big 12 in Final Fours with the Big 10 doubling that.

Big fish + Little Pond = Boring as snot.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

this just cracks me up.
JFC.

Pablo 03-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Yeah, we all know the "glue" in the B1G is their perennially entertaining basketball programs.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9476616)
well, Minnesota has had their moments. but typically a B1G game doesn't necessarily have a predetermined outcome....like frigging Penn St beating Michigan....who woulda thunk. I don't see it as boring at all....UNLESS Wisconsin is involved. the Badgers just have a horrific game plan. bore you to death.

before the season started I was probably the biggest shit talk on regards to the B1G conference. I've already admitted several times it is the best basketball conference in the country.

But, I just don't see it being the heavy duty, world beating conference a lot of people did (including some in this very thread) before the season started.

It is just a top heavy conference.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9476639)
Yeah, we all know the "glue" in the B1G is their perennially entertaining basketball programs.

And the national ratings for Baylor vs. Texas Tech continue to break records. Face it, if Kansas isn't in the game, the entire nation of sports fanatics cares as much about the Big 12 as they do about Shoeless Joe Jackson not making the HOF.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476641)
before the season started I was probably the biggest shit talk on regards to the B1G conference. I've already admitted several times it is the best basketball conference in the country.

But, I just don't see it being the heavy duty, world beating conference a lot of people did (including some in this very thread) before the season started.

It is just a top heavy conference.

well.....as far as being boring....I'll admit my perspective is probably very skewed being a Michigan fan. I've not missed one Michigan game this year and they score something like 71 a game, so I don't see it as boring.

it is top heavy. I just love basketball, so unless it's a 30 point blowout I get into it. but Wisconsin.....OMG!

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9476668)
well.....as far as being boring....I'll admit my perspective is probably very skewed being a Michigan fan. I've not missed one Michigan game this year and they score something like 71 a game, so I don't see it as boring.

it is top heavy. I just love basketball, so unless it's a 30 point blowout I get into it. but Wisconsin.....OMG!

I enjoy your perspective and I think you're an educated, level headed fan.

I think it depends on where you live and what team/conference you root for. I understand B1G fans not enjoying Big 12 basketball, and vice versa.

Bearcat 03-08-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

A lot of parity doesn't equal entertainment, IMO. Over the years, the B1G in football and basketball has been hyped as this great, deep conference... and sometimes (at least in basketball), they aren't full of crap, but other years it's just a mediocre league where "anyone can beat anyone" is taken as a good thing.

Who cares if every game matters when teams can't even score 50 points? The B1G has three teams in the top 100 of PPG, and Iowa is 99th. As much as I appreciate watching the #1 FG% defense in the country and understand the importance of winning the ugly games in March, a 50-48 game just doesn't do it for me, especially while watching some teams like Wisconsin, who don't seem to understand that you can move on offense when you don't have the basketball.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476687)
I enjoy your perspective and I think you're an educated, level headed fan.

I think it depends on where you live and what team/conference you root for. I understand B1G fans not enjoying Big 12 basketball, and vice versa.

I like a good game. regardless of conference. and I do enjoy watching and rooting for Mizzou (the secondary block M school :LOL:) especially when they play Gay U.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9476689)
A lot of parity doesn't equal entertainment, IMO. Over the years, the B1G in football and basketball has been hyped as this great, deep conference... and sometimes (at least in basketball), they aren't full of crap, but other years it's just a mediocre league where "anyone can beat anyone" is taken as a good thing.

Who cares if every game matters when teams can't even score 50 points? The B1G has three teams in the top 100 of PPG, and Iowa is 99th. As much as I appreciate watching the #1 FG% defense in the country and understand the importance of winning the ugly games in March, a 50-48 game just doesn't do it for me, especially while watching some teams like Wisconsin, who don't seem to understand that you can move on offense when you don't have the basketball.

That, at least, makes sense over some of the other stuff I have seen on this thread.

Honestly, for KU fans like yourself, the conference must be amazing. But for the (previous) other 11 teams, basketball season is nothing but a snore-fest involving two or three games that you may talk about 10 years from now at a Thanksgiving table with the rest of the family saying "when was K State a basketball force?". Big 10 offers competition time and time again, with many games all season long having huge potential in March

Overall Kansas is one of the best basketball schools of all time. Overall, the conference is simply mediocre at best.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9476701)
I like a good game. regardless of conference. and I do enjoy watching and rooting for Mizzou (the secondary block M school :LOL:) especially when they play Gay U.

Just lost a lot of cool points with me, bruh.

I really have no right talking shit about the B1G style of play when my second favorite team plays in the MVC.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476706)
That, at least, makes sense over some of the other stuff I have seen on this thread.

Honestly, for KU fans like yourself, the conference must be amazing. But for the (previous) other 11 teams, basketball season is nothing but a snore-fest involving two or three games that you may talk about 10 years from now at a Thanksgiving table with the rest of the family saying "when was K State a basketball force?". Big 10 offers competition time and time again, with many games all season long having huge potential in March

Overall Kansas is one of the best basketball schools of all time. Overall, the conference is simply mediocre at best.

For the record I don't think a lot of KU guys in this thread think the Big 12 is a great conference this year.

We've had some surprises, IMO. Iowa State, Oklahoma and a couple of teams who have played a lot better than I original thought would - KSU and Okie St.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476709)
Just lost a lot of cool points with me, bruh.

I really have no right talking shit about the B1G style of play when my second favorite team plays in the MVC.

it's easy to take pot shots at the team on top, year after year....after year....after year.
just the way it is.
frigging KU!

once upon a time in football that team was michigan. :(

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9476724)
it's easy to take pot shots at the team on top, year after year....after year....after year.
just the way it is.
frigging KU!

once upon a time in football that team was michigan. :(

We were pretty fortunate to snag Self.

Dude is incredible.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476717)
For the record I don't think a lot of KU guys in this thread think the Big 12 is a great conference this year.

We've had some surprises, IMO. Iowa State, Oklahoma and a couple of teams who have played a lot better than I original thought would - KSU and Okie St.

I meant in general, not just this year. You know how your school plays those 5 games at the beginning of the year that you know you can't lose? The ones that improve your plays, your abilities, your time management? The games against schools that have "Technical" and "Institute" in their titles? That is KU's entire regular season, year after year. Sure, you have an occasional bump from Oklahoma State that was unexpected, but then it is back to business. The Big 12 is/was nothing but a practice session for KU to make their annual run.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476733)

Dude is incredible.

Yes, he is.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476736)
I meant in general, not just this year. You know how your school plays those 5 games at the beginning of the year that you know you can't lose? The ones that improve your plays, your abilities, your time management? The games against schools that have "Technical" and "Institute" in their titles? That is KU's entire regular season. Sure, you have an occasional bump from Oklahoma State that was unexpected, but then it is back to business. The Big 12 is/was nothing but a practice session for KU to make their annual run.

LMAO really?

You're shittin' me.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476745)
LMAO really?

You're shittin' me.

I should have said regular season "In conference".

Tell me the last time another team in your conference was a threat to the Title Game. I have to go back a decade to think of one.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476757)
I should have said regular season "In conference".

Tell me the last time another team in your conference was a threat to the Title Game. I have to go back a decade to think of one.

Last year.

Baylor.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476772)
Last year.

Baylor.

Damn, Yes, they did make a good run. I had forgotten. I think they were a 3 seed.

And Texas made a good run a few years ago as well. But no team other than KU has any sort of consistency. If you like Cinderella every three or four years or the Yankees, then you will love the Big 12.

Ceej 03-08-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476801)
Damn, Yes, they did make a good run. I had forgotten. I think they were a 3 seed.

And Texas made a good run a few years ago as well. But no team other than KU has any sort of consistency. If you like Cinderella every three or four years or the Yankees, then you will love the Big 12.

Hey man. You asked a question, I simply answered it. :thumb:

And as a KU fan -- it's good to be on top of the Big 12 throne.

I'm a Chiefs/Royals fan.

The Jayhawks are my saving grace.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9476804)
Hey man. You asked a question, I simply answered it. :thumb:

And as a KU fan -- it's good to be on top of the Big 12 throne.

I'm a Chiefs/Royals fan.

The Jayhawks are my saving grace.

I don't disagree, as a Big 12 fan, KU has the right to crow to the conference and the nation with all your titles. As a BASKETBALL fan of any other team in your conference, I would be bored to tears knowing the outcome in November of the previous year.

frankotank 03-08-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Dude is incredible.

oh MOS DEF!
Illinois shouldn't have let him get away....but then again what could they do!
it's Kansas! like....who's gonna turn that down.

Titty Meat 03-08-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Dude is incredible.

Indeed.

I know Nebraska went after him in 2000. I want to say Mizzou did too in 99' but choose Quinn Snyder instead lawlz. Talk about landing on go to jail

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9476913)
Indeed.

I know Nebraska went after him in 2000. I want to say Mizzou did too in 99' but choose Quinn Snyder instead lawlz. Talk about landing on go to jail

Do you really believe Self would have been as successful at MU as he is now? Granted he is a coaching genius, but he would not have the caliber of recruits that he does now.

Pablo 03-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476941)
Do you really believe Self would have been as successful at MU as he is now? Granted he is a coaching genius, but he would not have the caliber of recruits that he does now.

He probably would have actually recruited STL, so they probably would have been pretty well off.

ChiTown 03-08-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476819)
I don't disagree, as a Big 12 fan, KU has the right to crow to the conference and the nation with all your titles. As a BASKETBALL fan of any other team in your conference, I would be bored to tears knowing the outcome in November of the previous year.

Yeah, it really sucks that my team can win their first Conf Title in 36 years this Saturday. I plan to go to Stillwater and be bored to tears....

Titty Meat 03-08-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476941)

Let me answer your question with a question. Do you think Self would have been able to recruit and keep the talent in state? If yes then there's no way Mizzou doesn't have a final appearance and possibly a title under Self.

*monopoly*

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9476952)
Yeah, it really sucks that my team can win their first Conf Title in 36 years this Saturday. I plan to go to Stillwater and be bored to tears....

Pat - 1 time in 36 years years is not boring?

It is for me, I am a Chiefs fan.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9476948)
He probably would have actually recruited STL, so they probably would have been pretty well off.

I agree, he may have even had Villeneuva follow him instead of going to UConn, but I don't think he would have had the success he does with KU. There is an obvious HUGE advantage in recruiting there over any other school in the Big 12.

ChiTown 03-08-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476971)
Pat - 1 time in 36 years years is not boring?

It is for me, I am a Chiefs fan.

Doesn't stop me from being a fan and staying involved. I'm one of these weird guys that doesn't quit on my team.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9476992)
Doesn't stop me from being a fan and staying involved. I'm one of these weird guys that doesn't quit on my team.

As I said, I am a Chief's fan.

Titty Meat 03-08-2013 11:24 AM

36 years is nothing try going 100 without a tournament win :)

Its easier to win a game in the tournament than it is to win a game of Monopoly

frankotank 03-08-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9477010)
36 years is nothing try going 100 without a tournament win :)

Its easier to win a game in the tournament than it is to win a game of Monopoly

are you saying that NE has not won a tourney game in 100 years?
Shirley not!

Bearcat 03-08-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476706)

Eh, I still want competitive basketball, and it's not like Kansas has won the conference by 3+ games every season... actually, I think they've only won it by more than 1 game a couple of times in the past 10 years, and they've shared the conference title a couple of times (and probably again this year).

And really, do you see a lot more parity here?

Top 3 finishes in the past 10 years...
Code:

Kansas        10
Texas        5
OU        3
KSU        3
OkSt        3
MU        2
Baylor        2
A&M        2

MSU        6
OSU        5
Wisc        5
Purdue        4
Illinois 4
Indiana        3
Mich        2
Iowa        1

Sweet Sixteens...
Code:

Kansas        7
Texas        3
Baylor        2
OU        2
OkSt        2
KSU        1
A&M        1
TTech  1

MSU        6
Wisc        5
OSU        4
Illinois 3
Purdue        2
Indiana        1

Prison Bitch 03-08-2013 12:45 PM

Wisconsin has 5 elite 8s the past 10 years? Nope. No way. That's not possible, they suck ass in the Tourney.

Bearcat 03-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9477260)
Wisconsin has 5 elite 8s the past 10 years? Nope. No way. That's not possible, they suck ass in the Tourney.

Oops, SS.... I was going to do EE, too, but got distracted by something shiny.

Prison Bitch 03-08-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9477267)
Oops, SS.... I was going to do EE, too, but got distracted by something shiny.

Wisconsin has 1 pathetic Elite 8 in the past 12 seasons. They're a March joke. I respect Bo Ryan's ability to max out his team's effort and it's hard to be a national power up in cold crappy Wisconsin. But man alive, they are constantly over-seeded. Easy to pick off in March. I pray they are the 4-seed in our Region so we can feast on their carcass.

As for Sweet 16, they only have 5 in the past 12 years. Only one time did they win that Sweet 16 game.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...y/_/team1/8023

Bearcat 03-08-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9477278)
Wisconsin has 1 pathetic Elite 8 in the past 12 seasons. They're a March joke. I respect Bo Ryan's ability to max out his team's effort and it's hard to be a national power up in cold crappy Wisconsin. But man alive, they are constantly over-seeded. Easy to pick off in March. I pray they are the 4-seed in our Region so we can feast on their carcass.

As for Sweet 16, they only have 5 in the past 12 years. Only one time did they win that Sweet 16 game.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...y/_/team1/8023

I'm pretty sure if you picked up a newspaper in Madison, the date at the top would be 1945. Basketball, football... even the hockey team is one of the lowest scoring in the conference and takes the sport back 50 years.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9477301)
I'm pretty sure if you picked up a newspaper in Madison, the date at the top would be 1945. Basketball, football... even the hockey team is one of the lowest scoring in the conference and takes the sport back 50 years.

LMAO

Pablo 03-08-2013 01:34 PM

Jesus. Indiana has one sweet sixteen in the last decade.

LMAO

Pablo 03-08-2013 01:37 PM

I expect KCC to come along with some KenPom conference ratings in this thread to show us what's up over the last decade too.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9477241)
And really, do you see a lot more parity here?

Top 3 finishes in the past 10 years...
Code:

Kansas        10
Texas        5
OU        3
KSU        3
OkSt        3
MU        2
Baylor        2
A&M        2

MSU        6
OSU        5
Wisc        5
Purdue        4
Illinois 4
Indiana        3
Mich        2
Iowa        1

Sweet Sixteens...
Code:

Kansas        7
Texas        3
Baylor        2
OU        2
OkSt        2
KSU        1
A&M        1
TTech  1

MSU        6
Wisc        5
OSU        4
Illinois 3
Purdue        2
Indiana        1

Kansas doubles anyone else in your conference in both appearances you list and you ask if there is more parity in the Big 10? Yes, yes there is.

KCWolfman 03-08-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9477345)
Jesus. Indiana has one sweet sixteen in the last decade.

LMAO

And still just as many titles as KU.

Bearcat 03-08-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9477395)
Kansas doubles anyone else in your conference in both appearances you list and you ask if there is more parity in the Big 10? Yes, yes there is.

Same number of teams that have finished in the top 3 of the regular season and the same number of teams with multiple SS appearances... and if you go down to EE/FFs, (off the top of my head) it comes down to KU and maybe one for Texas in the B12 and MSU, OSU, and one for Illinois in the B1G.

Sure, there aren't any teams in the B1G with KU's consistency, but that also goes back to the original point of the B1G teams playing 50/50 ball (that's supposed to be 50%, but could also mean 50 points)... there's no question why Indiana and Michigan are at the top of the league this year, even though they still have to grind it out against most teams in the conference.

gblowfish 03-08-2013 02:24 PM

KK is such a douche.
"What if KSU wins and KU loses tomorrow?" The world will stop spinning for KU fans...."
Poke the bear with a stick, radio boy....

Pablo 03-08-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9477399)
And still just as many titles as KU.

Congratulations I guess.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9477645)
Congratulations I guess.

Indiana has been bad so long they've forgotten how to be a blue blood.

KC_Connection 03-08-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9477353)
I expect KCC to come along with some KenPom conference ratings in this thread to show us what's up over the last decade too.

The conference ranks of the B12 and B10 by the average AdjO and AdjD of their teams:

B10: .8465
B12: .8360

I'm sorry to say, but the B10 has been the slightly better basketball conference over the last 10 years according to this measure.

Of course, it is a complete fallacy to say that the B12 has been bad or that there haven't been any other NC threats other than KU.

Just last year, MU was one of the best teams in the NCAA and Baylor made the E8. In 2010, both Baylor and KSU were among the best teams in the NCAA (ranked 6 and 7 in KenPom and both made the E8). In 2009, Blake Griffin pushed an OU team to the E8. And in 2008, Texas was a top 10 team that also went to the E8. Before that, Kevin Durant had Texas as one of the better teams in the country as well.

Buehler445 03-08-2013 06:34 PM

WSU/Missouri State is on FSMW and is pretty decent. If anyone cares.

KC_Connection 03-08-2013 07:01 PM

Got curious and did the KP averages for 11 conferences over the last 10 years:

ACC: .8528
BE: .8467
SEC: .8147
P10: .7932
MWC: .7234
MVC: .6833
A10: .6463
CUSA: .6364
WCC: .5580

The ACC comes out slightly on top since 2004, but it's very close between the top four there. Also keep in mind that this takes into account every team (even the awful bottom feeders...Tech and TCU are really holding the B12 back this year for example).

Buehler445 03-08-2013 07:46 PM

LOL Holtus and whatever scrub they pulled up to do the color for the WSU Missouri State game talked about what a good matchup WSU and KU would be if they met in the NCAA tournament.

L-O-L

Their entire gameplan is chuck up a bad shot and let Carl Hall rebound and score. Withey would destroy his soul. He's gotten like 4 shots blocked by a 6'8 guy. Ron Baker is shooting the ball well, but that's all the offense there is. Ron Baker's 3's and Carl Hall's rebounding.

I would LOVE to get that matchup in the tournament.

Naturally, some scrub would probably splash 8 3's out of nowhere and magically Withey would get a bunch of fouls, but I'm still confident KU would destroy them if they play with any intensity at all.

Pablo 03-09-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9477960)
The conference ranks of the B12 and B10 by the average AdjO and AdjD of their teams:

I'm sorry to say, but the B10 has been the slightly better basketball conference over the last 10 years according to this measure.

Of course, it is a complete fallacy to say that the B12 has been bad or that there haven't been any other NC threats other than KU.

Just last year, MU was one of the best teams in the NCAA and Baylor made the E8. In 2010, both Baylor and KSU were among the best teams in the NCAA (ranked 6 and 7 in KenPom and both made the E8). In 2009, Blake Griffin pushed an OU team to the E8. And in 2008, Texas was a top 10 team that also went to the E8. Before that, Kevin Durant had Texas as one of the better teams in the country as well.

I can live with that. I just knew the Big 12 was and will continue to be a pretty good basketball conference. Yes, Kansas is the class, but there are still plenty of respectable programs.

DaKCMan AP 03-09-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9478010)
Got curious and did the KP averages for 11 conferences over the last 10 years:

ACC: .8528
BE: .8467
SEC: .8147
P10: .7932
MWC: .7234
MVC: .6833
A10: .6463
CUSA: .6364
WCC: .5580

The ACC comes out slightly on top since 2004, but it's very close between the top four there. Also keep in mind that this takes into account every team (even the awful bottom feeders...Tech and TCU are really holding the B12 back this year for example).

That's nice, but championships over the past 10 years:
SEC: 3
BE: 3
ACC: 3
B12: 1
B10: 0
P10: 0
MWC: 0
MVC: 0
A10: 0
CUSA: 0
WCC: 0

Pablo 03-09-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9479229)

O R U HEAR TO TALK ABOUT FLORIDA???

WilliamTheIrish 03-09-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9476977)
I agree, he may have even had Villeneuva follow him instead of going to UConn, but I don't think he would have had the success he does with KU. There is an obvious HUGE advantage in recruiting there over any other school in the Big 12.

Bill Self recruited great players at Tulsa. Then he recruited greater players Illinois. I have little doubt he absolutely would have pulled MU into greatness. The guy can recruit like a MF'er. And he can coach a little bit too.

Pablo 03-09-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9479324)
Bill Self recruited great players at Tulsa. Then he recruited greater players Illinois. I have little doubt he absolutely would have pulled MU into greatness. The guy can recruit like a MF'er. And he can coach a little bit too.

Yep. Not to say KU doesn't have recruiting advantages for its history but 17-18 year olds aren't typically wrapped up in the nostalgia of a program. They're interested in what a coach and program can do for them. I doubt EJ gave a shit about the proud history of KU basketball before he got here. He DID care about what Bill Self was able to sell him on.

For that reason I'm sure if MU would have snagged Self they'd probably be sitting pretty damn well. I'm almost positive they'd have a FF appearance at a bare minimum. The state of Missouri has had some premier basketball talent in the last decade.

Pablo 03-09-2013 11:13 AM

Orange v. Georgetown on ESPN. Hope this one features some sort of scoring; not looking promising so far.

Just a shitload of turnovers and bad shots. Only five minutes in, there is time for improvement.

Pablo 03-09-2013 11:15 AM

Ahh, Florida at UK is on CBS. Maybe this will be interesting.

UK up 11-2 early. I'm conflicted here. I'd like it if both teams could lose. I guess I'll just hope Florida picks it up and I get to watch a shoot out.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-09-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9479229)

Exactly. The Bevo has underachieved when it's counted for decades.

Pablo 03-09-2013 11:42 AM

Orange v. G'Town is boring as shit.

Nice pace to the Fla/UK game though.

Pablo 03-09-2013 11:56 AM

G'Town up 25-18 at half. That's almost B1G exciting.

Fla/UK tied up at 31.

Pablo 03-09-2013 12:58 PM

Fla/UK is close heading to the end.

58-57 UK with two minutes left.

Bearcat 03-09-2013 01:02 PM

Wasn't it 57-50 with like 8 minutes left? Damn.

KC_Connection 03-09-2013 01:04 PM

Another pathetic performance from Florida on the road. This time they're letting UK right into the tournament.