ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Baby Lee 05-14-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500647)
I never ever saw anyone working with a drink in their hand on the job including in NY. Drinking was afterwards or when a client came for certain personnel. I remember the Ocean Spray exec had to be taken out and gotten him drunk on purpose because we were behind the deadline. On the other hand there's much accuracy in the series on the ad business side. Such as the account is usually lost after a Clio award is won etc. I was nearly floored when they mentioned Ogilvy never submitted for awards for this reason. I learned that from Ogilvy's book on advertising. And the scene of Young and Rubicon dropping water balloons on black protestors was a true event.

When Brock said 'monster drink' I'm pretty sure he was referring to

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/up...3187XSmall.jpg

Not a huge tumbler of Rye, neat.

DaneMcCloud 05-14-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11500630)
That's what it reminded me of. I can remember thinking that for all the crap millennials catch, these were some of the smartest and most optimistic people I had been around in a long time. Made me feel pretty good seeing such industry among the young, even if it was just to sell more Blizzards.

My wife works at one of the world's largest ad agencies. It's Disneyland for adults. They have a full bar area with at least 30 flat screens. Any time there's a serious sporting event like the World Cup, World Series, NCAA tourney, etc., they bring in food and it's filled with people working on their laptops.

One of my wife's clients last year was Amazon and she was given several Kindle HD's. For Cinco De Mayo, they bring in food and offer Mexican beer all day long. It's like an endless stream of swag.

To me, it's insane. It's like "This is where you work?".

BucEyedPea 05-14-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11500654)
When Brock said 'monster drink' I'm pretty sure he was referring to

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/up...3187XSmall.jpg

Not a huge tumbler of Rye, neat.

Oh. I forgot about those. Folks I am with at trade shows drink those.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:50 AM

Bert's song :deevee:

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11436232)

As for Hamm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just haven't seen any range from him. It's just a variation of John Hamm, even in his comedic bits.

I don't know why Hamm can't be as successful as Harrison Ford.

Other than Regarding Henry...not a lot of range.

Maybe times have changed.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 12:58 AM

By the way, I have to say that season 7 is really amazing. Don't think I've seen much else on TV this good. Probably never happen but I'd love for Weiner to write a Star Wars film. :evil:

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11500832)
I don't know why Hamm can't be as successful as Harrison Ford.

Other than Regarding Henry...not a lot of range.

Maybe times have changed.

This is my perspective, only. I'm not trying to impose my will or say that I know more than anyone else:

I haven't found Jon Hamm to be convincing as anyone else other than as Don Draper.

In every other role, IMO, he's been the same. Now sure, he's getting different direction, a different character, etc. But for me, I still see Jon Hamm.

Also, I don't see the movie star charisma. Matt McConaghey has a charm and it's easy to see throughout his career, how he's grown. Same for guys like Damon or Affleck or even Ruffalo. He's no where near an RDJ. There are times when Clooney can't escape himself but then he'll be brilliant in a film like The Descendants.

I'd be more than happy to be wrong but I'm just not seeing it.

BucEyedPea 05-15-2015 08:10 AM

I haven't seen Hamm in anything but this series.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500982)

Well, shooting a TV show is demanding. Patrick Stewart wasn't in shit during his 7 year TNG run.

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11501015)
Well, shooting a TV show is demanding. Patrick Stewart wasn't in shit during his 7 year TNG run.

It's not that demanding, especially since it's only 13 episode seasons. Matt said, there is a huge difference between 13 and 24 in terms of commitment.

Hamm's guest starred in other TV shows and he's been a supporting actor here and there. He also starred in a Disney movie.

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11500660)
My wife works at one of the world's largest ad agencies. It's Disneyland for adults. They have a full bar area with at least 30 flat screens. Any time there's a serious sporting event like the World Cup, World Series, NCAA tourney, etc., they bring in food and it's filled with people working on their laptops.

One of my wife's clients last year was Amazon and she was given several Kindle HD's. For Cinco De Mayo, they bring in food and offer Mexican beer all day long. It's like an endless stream of swag.

To me, it's insane. It's like "This is where you work?".

A couple of years ago I worked as part of an events team for a pretty massive corporation here in NYC. I only worked 5 days in their headquarter building. But it was exactly the same as you described, Dane -- just not an ad firm. It was nuts. I've never seen anything like it.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 02:00 AM

7 seasons and Don never boffed Joan. Son, I am disappoint.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 10:56 AM

OK, proud to announce that I have ripped through season 7 and ready for tonight's finale.

I think I binge watched that entire show faster than anything I've ever seen.

Bowser 05-17-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11500982)

He was in Ben Affleck's movie The Town. Great flick.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 12:00 PM

Did anyone else think Don testing the window in his new office (ep11 or 12 can't remember) was a nod to the opening credits? Or maybe even foreshadowing... :hmmm:

Like, I don't think he will commit suicide. But maybe some prick at McCann will throw him out the window.

eDave 05-17-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11504716)
OK, proud to announce that I have ripped through season 7 and ready for tonight's finale.

I think I binge watched that entire show faster than anything I've ever seen.

Indeed. Damn.

I've been rewatching through AMC all week.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 02:03 PM

AMC's audio is still cutting out on my end.

Reaper16 05-17-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11504790)
Did anyone else think Don testing the window in his new office (ep11 or 12 can't remember) was a nod to the opening credits? Or maybe even foreshadowing... :hmmm:

Like, I don't think he will commit suicide. But maybe some prick at McCann will throw him out the window.

I think it was fan service, referencing the opening credits but not in a serious way.

Or more generally, just showing that Don's mindset was on escaping the current situation.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:02 PM

Here. We. Go.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:05 PM

I love Meredith.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:06 PM

Audio drop #2. #1 was during the title cards.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:12 PM

Uverse has completely crashed.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:14 PM

....... I don't even know why I bother trying to watch anymore. **** this shit.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 08:18 PM

Like, I try not to get pissed off about stuff that isn't of any serious consequence but this is just maddening.

Brock 05-17-2015 09:16 PM

**** you, Weiner.

siberian khatru 05-17-2015 09:17 PM

What a load of shit

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 09:17 PM

That sucked ass.

siberian khatru 05-17-2015 09:18 PM

All we get from the Don story arc is a hippie commune/EST seminar?

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 09:19 PM

Like, I can appreciate that Don went on his little personal journey of self discovery and suddenly he got the idea for the greatest Coke ad ever....it's cute...but it's still a shitty way to end the series.

You want to end a series...do it right.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nTQgs2OGVV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru 05-17-2015 09:24 PM

Matthew Weiner, you just made the Danny McGrath list

Gadzooks 05-17-2015 09:30 PM

The finale totally met my expectations, the problem is that I expected to be disappointed.

eDave 05-17-2015 09:32 PM

Gee. Can't wait to see it.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 09:43 PM

I mean I'm not surprised. But...

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 09:43 PM

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 09:46 PM

The ending was predicted, too.

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/12/8589783...le-predictions

Quote:

But as the weeks have gone on, Eileen's theory (which I have embellished upon above) has stuck with me. It explains the season's obsession with Coca-Cola (which turns up even in this episode, in the form of the broken Coke machine). It explains the season's obsession with connection.

And it explains the long, long wait we've had for a vintage Don Draper pitch. (By my count, we haven't gotten one since the sixth-season finale, which was the Hershey's pitch that lost Don his job.) Why shouldn't the last Don Draper pitch ever be one that gives us a famous ad that feels like it came out of a Don Draper pitch?

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 09:47 PM

... oh my god... Just ... why...?

This isn't dramatic it's just... confusing?

Hammock Parties 05-17-2015 09:54 PM

I will say this, there's a certain poetry to Don's wife dying because she smoked too many cigarettes, and now apparently he's off to peddle Coke to give the world diabetes.

Evil mother****er. Maybe Sally will get fat.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 09:59 PM

So the implication is

Spoiler!

I'm not taking credit for this thought but JFC.

Pitt Gorilla 05-17-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11505755)

It was predicted long before that. Heck, I think someone in this thread might have predicted the Coke ad. Certainly, once they got to McCann, it seemed likely.

Discuss Thrower 05-17-2015 10:18 PM

**** it. The series truly ended the moment the door magically shut on a waving Bert Cooper.

NewChief 05-17-2015 10:25 PM

I haven't seen the actual end yet, but I'm loving this episode 48 minutes in. No issues or complaints at all.

DaneMcCloud 05-17-2015 10:52 PM

I thought it was an excellent end to an excellent series.

Everyone's story was neatly wrapped up, although Sally Draper in the kitchen, like her mother, was a little disappointing because before her mother's diagnosis, her future was so promising (although it was foreshadowed by Don's speech to her before she got on the bus with her friends).

And now I know who to blame for that horrible song growing up. :D

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:11 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gBJsLwYne9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave 05-18-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11505801)
I thought it was an excellent end to an excellent series.

Everyone's story was neatly wrapped up, although Sally Draper in the kitchen, like her mother, was a little disappointing because before her mother's diagnosis, her future was so promising (although it was foreshadowed by Don's speech to her before she got on the bus with her friends).

And now I know who to blame for that horrible song growing up. :D

Peggy and Stan was a little hokey.

Richard's an asshole. As I suspected.

Don's personal acid trip.

Nicely done Roger.

Nice Finale overall.

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11505841)
Peggy and Stan was a little hokey.

It's been telegraphed for so long that I can see your point.

Quote:

Richard's an asshole. As I suspected.

On the contrary, I thought that Richard was as honest as a man can be in that situation. He said earlier that he had a "plan", raised his kids, built companies and was ready to relax. Joan wasn't.

At least he didn't lie and lead her on. Honesty always wins, IMO.

Quote:

Don's personal acid trip.

Eh, Don's had several. Don is still Don. He didn't go home for Betty because he's Don. He didn't use his vast resources to leave the commune. He cried to Peggy, which made her realize she didn't want to be like Don (not that she ever really was like him).

I loved the Chanting Bowl chime exactly when Don thought of the Coca-Cola ad, along with Joan and Richard doing "coke".

Quote:

Nice Finale overall.

While I think it could have been "different", I'm not sure if it could be more satisfying after "seven" seasons.

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:24 AM

http://i.imgur.com/SADvOT9.png?1

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 12:30 AM

:facepalm:

smith11 05-18-2015 12:39 AM

i thought it would end with don draper, 80 + years old, still writing copy for McCann Erickson and writing the best superbowl commercial ever as the chiefs win superbowl 50

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:43 AM

http://i.imgur.com/tHGhT7B.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:45 AM

http://i.imgur.com/RMj0zln.jpg

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 12:46 AM

The point was that you couldn't use your own thoughts

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:48 AM

chill out

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 12:49 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thanks, Don. About time you came up with a good idea. <a href="https://t.co/0IdUE4KFoR">https://t.co/0IdUE4KFoR</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MadMen?src=hash">#MadMen</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MadMenFinale?src=hash">#MadMenFinale</a></p>&mdash; McCann (@McCann_WW) <a href="https://twitter.com/McCann_WW/status/600139668382982144">May 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11505854)
chill out

LMAO

I pretty sure I'm "chill" right now.

FWIW, this thread is a pretty good read for recaps.

Discuss Thrower 05-18-2015 07:58 AM

Okay. I've slept on it.

I may not like the finale but now I understand it.
Spoiler!

It's not all good for everyone, because

Spoiler!

eDave 05-18-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11505845)
On the contrary, I thought that Richard was as honest as a man can be in that situation. He said earlier that he had a "plan", raised his kids, built companies and was ready to relax. Joan wasn't.

Solid point.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-18-2015 08:52 AM

I liked it.

Yes, the end game was speculated on quite a bit, but props to Wiener that he stuck to his storyline despite that.

I got good closure on everyone, though I found myself wanting to know more than any other character on tv before - what happened to them all. Did Peggy get her CD job? Did Don actually become whole and become a better man because of it? Did Pete get laid off at Lear Jet?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-18-2015 08:55 AM

Peggy's fairy tale ending was finally getting a man? Some feminist character

siberian khatru 05-18-2015 10:17 AM

Weiner apparently is going to give ONE interview to discuss the final ep, Wednesday in New York. It will be interesting to see if he reveals how deep the final shot goes.

Is it, on the surface, Don finding his inner peace, and the Coke ad is emblematic of it?

Did Don use this new self-realization to craft the Coke ad after returning to McCann-Erickson?

Or was Don's smile at the end his cynical realization that he could market this hippy crap to the masses -- with "The Real Thing" a supremely ironic statement about just how phony Don and his world really are?

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 11506050)
Weiner apparently is going to give ONE interview to discuss the final ep, Wednesday in New York. It will be interesting to see if he reveals how deep the final shot goes.

I'd rather not know the direct answer from Weiner because to me, the final scene (and entire season) said it all.

If it's different from my interpretation, it would take away some of the magic of the series.

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 01:04 PM

I cried when Don hugged the man in the encounter group for some reason.

I'm glad Peggy found love just it seemed so sudden for it to be Stan. Don't know whey Ted, who wound up divorced anyways, wasn't the one. Don't see why a feminist character can't find love in their lives. At least Stan, due to his profession, is someone who'd be more understanding about the demands the ad profession puts on people.

Mean's Mom is weird. I hated her for taking all of Don's furniture. I loved Megan as a character but changed my mind about her after accepting a million dollars from Don. How much was he worth? Couldn't been a whole lot more than a million.

Joan, the sexpot woman winds up a feminist staking out her own path. Richard, should know better as an older retired man, to expect a young woman to just give everything up. And if she didn't have a child, he probably wouldn't have wanted her to have one either.

I would have liked to see how Megan ended up as an actress.

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11506294)
How much was he worth? Couldn't been a whole lot more than a million.

Don was worth millions due to the various sales of SCDP and its iterations and he has a big deal with McCann, which was obviously still in play.

:D

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11506298)
Don was worth millions due to the various sales of SCDP and its iterations and he has a big deal with McCann, which was obviously still in play.

:D

Well, when SC were first bought out his deal was for $500,000. Now today that may be worth over a million but not then. Then he had to put in a bunch of his dough when they were lean after losing LS. He also paid Campbells portion. That's a chunk. Plus he lived high. The McCann buyout was what? A million and a quarter? Don only got 25% of that at the start but then he left. Megan wouldn't have been his wife when he collected the balance of his McCann buyout. Seems to me Megan got most of his money but he just made a chunk of it back later. I lost respect for her after that. I admired her for not wanting to take him to the cleaners before that.

siberian khatru 05-18-2015 01:19 PM

I was waiting for a Mr. Roberts/Col. Henry Blake moment when Pete and his family got on that Learjet. :evil:

DaneMcCloud 05-18-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11506301)
Well, when SC were first bought out his deal was for $500,000. Now today that may be worth over a million but not then. Then he had to put in a bunch of his dough when they were lean after losing LS. He also paid Campbells portion. That's a chunk. Plus he lived high. The McCann buyout was what? A million and a quarter? Don only got 25% of that at the start but then he left. Megan wouldn't have been his wife when he collected the balance of his McCann buyout. Seems to me Megan got most of his money but he just made a chunk of it back later. I lost respect for her after that. I admired her for not wanting to take him to the cleaners before that.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/mad-m...ners-make.html

According to that article, Don, Roger and Bert got about $5 million each when they sold to McCann.

eDave 05-18-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 11506314)
I was waiting for a Mr. Roberts/Col. Henry Blake moment when Pete and his family got on that Learjet. :evil:

Good for Pete.

This whole finale had a BSG finale feel to it.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-18-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11506326)

According to that article, Don, Roger and Bert got about $5 million each when they sold to McCann.

I believe they all had to remain under contract for 4 years to get it though right?

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11506326)

I'll check that out. But Bert was already dead in the last McCann deal. I forgot about the first one as I thought that British firm sold them. But then they had Lane fire them. So wonder how that all worked out. I suppose I should read the link first.

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 01:57 PM

BTW I think Megan deserved something as her part in that soap was written out and she became unemployed when she decided to stick with Don but he didn't go to Cali with her afterall. Wonder how much she lost in earnings from that?

Other than that, she didn't have kids and she was still young enough to forge a new life after the divorce.

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 02:01 PM

I just read your link LMAO at Harry's share.

Hammock Parties 05-18-2015 02:02 PM

Alternate finale endings for the characters of Mad Men...

Joan & boyfriend: They end up cocaine addicts after that first taste (Coke ad irony), blow their fortunes on blow within 3 years, and end up homeless dregs with perforated nasal septums, roaming SoCal for their next fix. Joan turns to porn to get cocaine money.

Peggy: Stan never says the magic words and she ends up a powerful creative executive spinster with 15 cats. Stan ends up lonely, never admitting his love for Peggy, turns to booze & masturbation.

Roger & Marie: He suffers a coronary during sex with her and dies. She bounces to the next man, gold-digging her way through life.
(Alternate ending: They get married, she poisons him to death, she gets everything)

Pete & wife: The Learjet goes down in flames.

Betty: Dies, but the corpse is gorgeous, according to her wishes.

Henry: Donates his fortune to cancer research.

Hobart: Company is the target of a hostile takeover by Gordon Gecko, commits suicide by jumping out office window.\

Megan: Failed as an actress, she turns to porn, befriends Joan on a shoot, who's now doing porn for coke money for her & boyfriend.

Glen: Shot in Vietnam by his own fellow soldiers for being creepy.

Cutler: Gets caught with child porn, ends up in prison getting gang-raped.

Crane: Finally gets that class-action sexual harassment lawsuit he's been begging for.

Cosgrove: Finds he has a talent for playing pirates and goes on to be the model of the animatronic pirates for Disneyland.

Don: Accidentally saves Hugh Hefner's life, lands a freelance creative gig with Playboy, spends his life bedding Playmates, boozing, smoking...and really having a good time.

Pitt Gorilla 05-18-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 11506050)

Is it, on the surface, Don finding his inner peace, and the Coke ad is emblematic of it?

Did Don use this new self-realization to craft the Coke ad after returning to McCann-Erickson?

Or was Don's smile at the end his cynical realization that he could market this hippy crap to the masses -- with "The Real Thing" a supremely ironic statement about just how phony Don and his world really are?

I thought it was pretty clear; Don returned to McCann (once he got a ride) and wrote the iconic spot.

(I must admit that I thought Pete might not make it once he got aboard the jet...)

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11506385)
Cosgrove: Finds he has a talent for playing pirates and goes on to be the model of the animatronic pirates for Disneyland.

Or he becomes the model for the Hathaway shirt ads.

ragedogg69 05-18-2015 03:37 PM

I saw Peggy and Stan as brother and sister, so that kiss was very very very weird to me. I liked the finally. Much like Donald Glover, I just couldnt understand Don's motivations and career choices during the last season.

BucEyedPea 05-18-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11506408)
Or he becomes the model for the Hathaway shirt ads.

Just in case no one knows what I am referring to here. It was a famous Ogilvy print ad, which is in his book on advertising.
"Probably the most famous print ad of all time."

Ken Cosgrove.

http://www.directmarketinginstitute....shirt%20ad.jpg

http://www.directmarketinginstitute....wayShirtAd.htm
The great advertising pioneer David Ogilvy ran through 18 concepts for shirt-maker client Hathaway's ad campaign before deciding on Baron Wrangell, "The Man with the Eye Patch."

Hathaway had been making shirts for 116 years, but was little noticed. This ad, with the mysterious character in the eye patch, instantly catapulted Hathaway as the #1 selling dress shirt in the world.

BigRedChief 05-19-2015 10:08 PM

I'm happy with the series finale. Maybe the bar is so low from so many disappointing finales?

Expected no closure for Don. He has always been adrift.

Peggy deserves happiness if they are going to give it to Pete.

Roger is where he should be.

everyone thinks its Don that does the Coca-Cola ad? I thought it was maybe Peggy? Not really important though.

DaneMcCloud 05-19-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11509240)
everyone thinks its Don that does the Coca-Cola ad? I thought it was maybe Peggy? Not really important though.

I absolutely thought that Don wrote the Coca-Cola ad. He smiled at the same time as the "ding", which has always signified an idea in cinema and even animation.

While Don didn't really change his philandering ways during the 60's, he did change as a person, experiencing the highs and lows of sex, drugs, racial tension and high society of that era. In 1971, he changes again, this time to a California "hippie", complete with yoga and spiritual retreats, while embracing his inner Don/Dick.

It would be fun to see Don Draper in the excess of the 80's "me" generation and his reaction to it.

Brock 05-19-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

I'm happy with the series finale. Maybe the bar is so low from so many disappointing finales?

There were certain clues implying it was don's idea. The problems I had with the finale is "wait, who's this blond chick again, and what's her problem", and Peggy's completely out of character fit of romanticism. I can buy the guy falling in love with her, but the Peggy I know would have said "oh! My lunch is here" and hung up the phone.

At any rate, I've been rewatching the whole series again, and there was so much forethought put into this show. Weiner obviously had this thing written from beginning to end. It's kind of fun to notice things that didn't seem to serve any purpose at the time, but foreshadowed much later events. One of the best tv shows ever, really.

DaneMcCloud 05-19-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11509288)
There were certain clues implying it was don's idea. The problems I had with the finale is "wait, who's this blond chick again, and what's her problem", and Peggy's completely out of character fit of romanticism. I can buy the guy falling in love with her, but the Peggy I know would have said "oh! My lunch is here" and hung up the phone.

At any rate, I've been rewatching the whole series again, and there was so much forethought put into this show. Weiner obviously had this thing written from beginning to end. It's kind of fun to notice things that didn't seem to serve any purpose at the time, but foreshadowed much later events. One of the best tv shows ever, really.

What killed me was that Coca-Cola was so prominently featured throughout the final season (and mentioned throughout the series), yet I couldn't put "Two and Two" together until the final scene, to which I said to myself "Of course!".

I truly believe that Weiner had the beginning and ending for Don's character mapped before shooting ever began. And as you mentioned, it's certainly of the best television series, ever, and for me, the finale was very satisfying.

Reaper16 05-19-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

I really don't understand how you saw Peggy being responsible for that ad. I can't think of a single filmic way that the episode pointed to that.

For that matter, I think the show gave us plenty of closure on Don. He is who he is. He makes the same mistakes and follows the same patterns, over and over and over. All throughout the show he's been a man who needs to wander off and lose himself in order to move forward. He's a man who can have a legitimate emotional revelation at the hippie new-age camp AND use that as inspiration for an ad campaign.

It's a cynical ending, not an ambiguous one. The closure comes in Don's seeming acceptance, finally, of who he is (no matter the name used). Though that acceptance, like any of Don's big life choices, will probably be short lived. But he'll always land on his feet. And he'll always find in his experiences a way to sell something. It's who he is.