ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What's for dinner? Here's mine... (Part 2) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408)

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10810929)
With an overwhelming number of tomatoes, it's grilled cheese and tomato soup. My tomato soup recipe is the ATK version of creamy tomato soup without the cream. It's really good.

Soup recipe NOW!

Hammock Parties 08-12-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10814090)
Pretty great for a steak, too.

Ah HA.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Bacon grease in cast iron work?

Baby Lee 08-12-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10814108)
I keep bacon grease in a jar under the sink—to throw out. People save it to use?
If a recipe calls for it, usually it's right after cooking some bacon as part of a recipe.

So if I want to save bacon grease, do I have to save it in the fridge? Isn't that stuff loaded with preservatives already? Anyhow, if in the fridge how long does it last?

Nah, even natural bacon grease is as stable as any other oil or lard. Just keep it covered so flies or moths don't flutter down into it.

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10814108)
I keep bacon grease in a jar under the sink—to throw out. People save it to use?
If a recipe calls for it, usually it's right after cooking some bacon as part of a recipe.

So if I want to save bacon grease, do I have to save it in the fridge? Isn't that stuff loaded with preservatives already? Anyhow, if in the fridge how long does it last?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10814139)
Nah, even natural bacon grease is as stable as any other oil or lard. Just keep it covered so flies or moths don't flutter down into it.

I prefer to strain it and put it in the fridge. It's scoopable like shortening.

srvy 08-12-2014 08:25 PM

In my day when I was just a lil tike I remember the tin with lid labeled bacon grease. I didn't know why but Mom and just about every house of relatives or neighbors had this same tin jar displayed predominately on the stove top.

Then pork and bacon got a bad name and it dissipated from the scene. Now its back in force. I was over at my sisters and on her stove top was that tin labeled bacon grease on it.

lewdog 08-12-2014 08:27 PM

You mean when I cook bacon I should just drain the fat into an empty glass jar and put a lid on it and store in the fridge? And then the next time I cook something on the stove, use the bacon fat instead of oil?

Baby Lee 08-12-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10814404)
You mean when I cook bacon I should just drain the fat into an empty glass jar and put a lid on it and store in the fridge? And then the next time I cook something on the stove, use the bacon fat instead of oil?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...nhn5o1_400.gif

Hammock Parties 08-12-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10814139)

I keep mine in a pudding dish in the fridge, uncovered. I'm assuming that's OK since it's in the fridge.

Baby Lee 08-12-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10814090)
Pretty great for a steak, too.

Oooh, ooh ooh!!!

Grilled Cheese!!

Saccopoo 08-12-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10814425)
I keep mine in a pudding dish in the fridge, uncovered. I'm assuming that's OK since it's in the fridge.

Try to keep it away from the severed head.

Ming the Merciless 08-12-2014 11:22 PM

chicken salad sandwich
crumbled bacon + avocado
on a very fluffy soft roll or croissant or maybe foccaccia
maybe a slight hint of curry
heavy on the salt and peppa
sprouts

Ming the Merciless 08-12-2014 11:23 PM

top quality mortadella
rye or pumpernickel
dill relish or kosher slices
yellow onions sliced pr maybe red
smokey cheddar
a slight smear of very good liverwurst
heavy mayo or creamy horseradish
a hint of quality mustard

Fire Me Boy! 08-13-2014 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10814425)

No, you definitely want to keep it covered. Fat can really easily absorb other flavors and aromas. So keep it airtight.

Fire Me Boy! 08-13-2014 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10814404)

Strain it first and let it cool before lidding it, but pretty much.

BucEyedPea 08-13-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10814392)
In my day when I was just a lil tike I remember the tin with lid labeled bacon grease. I didn't know why but Mom and just about every house of relatives or neighbors had this same tin jar displayed predominately on the stove top.

Then pork and bacon got a bad name and it dissipated from the scene. Now its back in force. I was over at my sisters and on her stove top was that tin labeled bacon grease on it.

My mom never kept something like that. I don't recall my maternal granma's cooking habits but I recall my paternal's NEVER saw that. The bacon grease jar was for tossing so it wouldn't clog the sink. However, that side of the family would barely touch butter. It was olive oil.