ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes And Other Starters To Sit Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351658)

Kman34 01-06-2024 03:08 PM

Kelce is much better after the catch.. Tony overpowered DBs and LBs for catches.. Travis singlehanded won OT games. Tony was the difference in some of his games..

I prefer Kelce but there is an argument for Tony.. Travis 1A, Tony1B...

Gary Cooper 01-06-2024 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17320766)
Obviously Mahomes helps, but Gonzo had really bad numbers in playoff games compared to what he did in the regular season.

For Comparison:

Tony Gonzales Playoff Game Averages:

Catches: 3.2
Yards: 31.4
TDs: .4

Travis Kelce Playoff Game Averages:

Catches: 7.4
Yards: 86
TDs: .9

He played in three playoff games as a Chief. That's it. You can't make comparisons off that sample size. The best player in the league at his position and plays in three playoff games over 12 years. That's Barry Sanders type sad.

He was only 21 in 1997. Caught a TD in the playoff game. Had another TD that was disallowed on a controversial play. He certainly made more impact in that game than in the regular season.

In 2003, it was the famous No Punt Game. He had 4 catches for 55 yards. One TD that was disallowed on a controversial PI. You can't blame Gonzalez for that loss. The offense didn't punt the entire game.

In 2006, that was the Herman Edwards game. No first downs in the first half. Unimaginative playcalling. Gonzalez had a TD late in the game in garbage time. Kelce wouldn't win that game by himself either.

PAChiefsGuy 01-06-2024 03:40 PM

Gonzalez had way better hands than Kelce and I think he fumbled less. Kelce is more explosive though.

Id take Kelce but I could see how someone could make a good case that Gonzalez was the better TE.

Tribal Warfare 01-06-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 17320784)
Kelce is much better after the catch.. Tony overpowered DBs and LBs for catches.. Travis singlehanded won OT games. Tony was the difference in some of his games..

I prefer Kelce but there is an argument for Tony.. Travis 1A, Tony1B...

Kelce had Mahomes in comparison to the merry go round at QB for Gonzalez. LOL, with Patrick Tony probably have better production that could dwarf Travis.

Gary Cooper 01-06-2024 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 17320877)
Gonzalez had way better hands than Kelce and I think he fumbled less. Kelce is more explosive though.

Id take Kelce but I could see how someone could make a good case that Gonzalez was the better TE.

Gonzalez had the better hands and better at physically dominating defenders He would run them over and take the ball out of their hands on jump balls.

Kelce is much faster and despite a similar size as Tony G, he runs away from defenders rather than through them. He plays more like a WR after the catch.

Kelce is a better fit for Mahomes and this offense, but I view Tony Gonzalez in the playoffs much like I view Barry Sanders in the playoffs. I'm not going to criticize it considering the larger context.

BWillie 01-06-2024 03:55 PM

Tony Gonzalez would run straight for 15 yards and just make a jump ball catch. He made a career out of it. Very different style of TE than Kelce.

stevegroganfan 01-06-2024 04:18 PM

Not saying he was better than Kelce but Gonzalez played more years in a tougher era for pass catchers. Tougher to get yards and TDs. That needs to be looked at when putting their numbers in context. I can still see preference for Kelce over Gonzalez but yards and TDs were tougher to get in the late 90's/early 2000's for a TE/receiver than it has been the past 10 years.

SHOWTIME 01-06-2024 05:08 PM

Gonzalez is the GOAT tight end. end of story. More catches than anyone in NFL history other than Rice and Fitzgerald and most yards of any tight end. And Tony worked hard at improving his blocking over his career. Also, Gonzalez did great with a whole bunch of average QBs, while Kelce did not until Mahomes arrived here.

Kman34 01-06-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOWTIME (Post 17321048)
Gonzalez is the GOAT tight end. end of story. More catches than anyone in NFL history other than Rice and Fitzgerald and most yards of any tight end. And Tony worked hard at improving his blocking over his career. Also, Gonzalez did great with a whole bunch of average QBs, while Kelce did not until Mahomes arrived here.

Kelce made the pro bowl and all Pro teams with Alex Smith..

TomRings 01-06-2024 05:52 PM

Quote:

Gronk was better than both.

Gronk was as dominant as it gets when he stepped on a football field, his blocking was on another level.

SHOWTIME 01-06-2024 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRings (Post 17321119)

Gronk was as dominant as it gets when he stepped on a football field, his blocking was on another level.

i’ll give you Gronk was a better blocker than Gonzelez and Kelce, but the guy was always hurt. Can’t help the club if you are always in the tub. Gronk is only 6th in receiving yards for tight ends and 3rd in receiving touch downs…well behind Gonzelez.

Kman34 01-06-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRings (Post 17321119)

**** Gronk, **** the Patriots, and **** you..

SHOWTIME 01-06-2024 06:35 PM

Patriots fans, wake me up when you win more than 3 super bowls without cheating…

Bump 01-06-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 17320878)
Kelce had Mahomes in comparison to the merry go round at QB for Gonzalez. LOL, with Patrick Tony probably have better production that could dwarf Travis.

come on now

Bump 01-06-2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Kelce didn't do good with Alex Smith??

Because I'm pretty sure he did. But obviously Mahomes elevated the offense and he put more yards.

Kelce is the GOAT and I think it can be debated, but Kelce has the rings, the stats, like double the number of 1K+ yard plus seasons than Tony G, the playoff stats. I think a better debate would be who is the 2nd best, Tony G or Gronk.