ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

Simply Red 12-26-2011 09:48 PM

the people wanna see the Rain Man Nike Flights!!! they've spoken!

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zv66w5.gif

Rain Man 12-26-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8238018)
Is there a reason you started on the east coast?

Yeah, the web site only gives you one route. So I really don't understand why I start in Yorktown, VA, and end in Florence, OR, but that's the deal that was on the table so I took it.

Old Dog 01-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8238012)
Okay, today marks the end of my second year of doing this. I'm currently at 2,722.3 miles, which is averaging 3.7 miles per day every day - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

At this pace I'm barely on pace to reach the coast before my three-year anniversary, so my goal for 2012 is to make the coast by December 26, 2012 or before the world is destroyed.

I'm currently slightly more than halfway across Wyoming, headed toward Yellowstone National Park and Montana.

Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

patteeu 01-01-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8249308)
Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Rain Man 01-01-2012 02:35 PM

Congrats, old dog. You're making good time. You should do a half-marathon, too. I was rather unbelieving when I signed up for my first one, but they're fun and you get some cool t-shirts.

Rain Man 01-01-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8249736)
Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Back in 2010 I was on ferries and a cruise ship for about 17 days over the course of a month. I was doing my jog around the ship on the deck and was told to stop. They said that the corners are blind and put you at risk of colliding with someone. I think that was on the ferry, though, but I suspect the cruise ships might have the same rule.

The treadmill question is compelling. The only time I used a treadmill was on that same cruise ship since I couldn't run, and I didn't count it. But I suspect I'm in the minority on that, and most people would. My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

The treadmill question is compelling.

Old Dog 01-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8249736)

The one we will be on has a small track (10 laps = 1 mile). I absolutely count treadmill miles....I would fathom that about 1/3 to 1/2 of mine since I started are on the treadmill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8250120)
My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

As long as yuo're not cheating by hanging onto the siderails I don't think there's much of a difference.

Rain Man 02-12-2012 07:50 PM

I'm in Montana now. 2,938 miles.

Old dog, are you in Kansas now?

rageeumr 02-12-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8250120)

Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Rain Man 02-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8368482)
Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Eh, I probably just don't understand the treadmill dynamics since I almost never use them.

What proportion of your miles are bike versus run? I count walking and running miles, though I only count walking if it's specifically for exercise, defined as "a normal person would drive". For the longest time it was almost exactly 50/50 between them, but for some reason my running is now about 100 miles ahead of my walking.

Old Dog 02-13-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8368257)
Old dog, are you in Kansas now?

Nope, still in Missouri. Should hit the state line sometime next month. I did make my 100 miles in January though. 115 to be exact, though 48 miles of it was from the 1st through the 7th. I knew I wasn't gonna do much running while on the cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8368482)

I have the incline on mine set at 2.0. Maybe I'm just the odd duck, but I don't find the treadmill any easier than the road/track except for the fact that I can do something else while on it. It takes me about the same amount of time to cover my four miles (treadmill takes me about a minute longer for the four miles total, but not a big difference).

Old Dog 02-28-2012 01:20 PM

Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Rain Man 02-28-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8405247)
Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Awesome. Crossing the Mississippi was big for me, but reaching Kansas psychologically started me thinking that I was now in the west.

I hit 3,000 miles this weekend, and am now in southwest Montana. For the first time I'm starting to think seriously about finishing this thing. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'm still roughly 10 months away.

Rain Man 05-28-2012 09:56 PM

As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Old Dog 05-29-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8644362)
As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.