ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Baby Lee 12-17-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10253672)
I watched "The Heat" last night with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.
Holy shit I was in tears. Very fun movie. If you're a McCarthy fan / improved lines etc, she ****ing kills it. Bullock plays a very good straight counterpart.

Very enjoyable. Sit down for a silly movie for some laughs, and you'll be entertained. If you're not.....then you've probably got crabs.

I actually enjoyed McCarthy more in the few minutes she had in This is 40. That scene with principal MADE that movie in a most unexpected way.

ThaVirus 12-18-2013 11:12 PM

Just watched Blackfish. Seriously, seriously wish I hadn't..

NewChief 12-18-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10292495)
Just watched Blackfish. Seriously, seriously wish I hadn't..

Yeah. Kind of takes the enjoyment out of watching orcas doesn't it? Very well done though.

ThaVirus 12-18-2013 11:22 PM

They're some of my favorite animals. It really just pissed me off and made me very sad.

Reminded me of how I felt after watching The Cove.

NewChief 12-18-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10292525)
They're some of my favorite animals. It really just pissed me off and made me very sad.

Reminded me of how I felt after watching The Cove.

I haven't watched the cove for that very reason, even though I read everything I could find about it.

Easy 6 12-19-2013 10:40 AM

Blackfish was quite the eye opener eh? Seems like its time to do away with keeping them in captivity altogether, its just too hard on them, plain old unnatural for an animal that size.

They get physical deformities, many develop aggressive personalities, it just isn't right to keep them like that... how about the footage of that male trainer being toyed with for like 30-45 minutes? talk about hair raising, his composure was amazing, i'd have been freaking the hell out.

I did however find a bit of macabe humor in the story of the drunk who snuck in after hours and decided to take a swim with them... what and idiot.

ThaVirus 12-19-2013 10:58 AM

Yeah, they seem especially smart.

I liked the bits on the extra part of their brain- the paralimbic system or what have you- that's linked to emotion and how, when being corralled, the adults lure the boats away while the mothers take the children in a different direction. They're likely even more intelligent than we can imagine.

I also wonder what causes the dorsal collapse. You'd think they'd be able to determine the cause after all these years of research.

Easy 6 12-19-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10293423)
Yeah, they seem especially smart.

I liked the bits on the extra part of their brain- the paralimbic system or what have you- that's linked to emotion and how, when being corralled, the adults lure the boats away while the mothers take the children in a different direction. They're likely even more intelligent than we can imagine.

I also wonder what causes the dorsal collapse. You'd think they'd be able to determine the cause after all these years of research.

As big as a whales brain is its not surprising how smart they, it would be so cool if someone could come up with some kind of rudimentary way to communicate with them.

If i had to take a wild guess at the fin thing, i would compare it to muscle atrophy in people, in the open ocean those things are under the constant strain of ocean forces, being "exercised" if you will, but in those still pools they aren't and so they just kinda wither away like the legs of someone in a wheelchair... that's my stab at it anyway.

Pepe Silvia 12-20-2013 09:35 PM

I watched Lovelace, it was really good. Amanda Seyfried, just wow. :drool:

KcMizzou 12-20-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10293346)
Blackfish was quite the eye opener eh? Seems like its time to do away with keeping them in captivity altogether, its just too hard on them, plain old unnatural for an animal that size.

They get physical deformities, many develop aggressive personalities, it just isn't right to keep them like that... how about the footage of that male trainer being toyed with for like 30-45 minutes? talk about hair raising, his composure was amazing, i'd have been freaking the hell out.

I did however find a bit of macabe humor in the story of the drunk who snuck in after hours and decided to take a swim with them... what and idiot.

And Tilikum parading his corpse on his back the next morning, like he was a trainer.

Yeah, after watching Blackfish, I have no desire to ever visit Sea World.

KcMizzou 12-20-2013 10:12 PM

Not a movie, but if you're into documentaries... travel channel type stuff...

Check out Stephen Fry in America. He's british. Visits all 50 states.

Six one hour episodes. It's good.

rocknrolla 12-22-2013 01:36 AM

Just caught Natural Born Killers. Haven't seen it in about 10 years, What a great movie. That sound track is one of the best ever, I gotta find that CD again, or buy it.

Easy 6 12-22-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 10300206)
Just caught Natural Born Killers. Haven't seen it in about 10 years, What a great movie. That sound track is one of the best ever, I gotta find that CD again, or buy it.

OUTSIDE OF SOCIETAY!

-King- 12-22-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10213119)
I don't know how in the hell there is not a thread about this movie or at least a post. I've done a search with both the google engine and CP and found nothing. Maybe I am just searching wrong but thought for sure I would easily find something with my first search.

It has been over 8 hours since I finished this movie and I am still rattled by it. It is easily the most intense and disturbing movie I feel I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it yet you absolutely NEED too.

Prisoners with Jackman and Gyllenhaal is just outstanding.

I'm not going to go any further with this because I don't want to give ANYTHING away. Just see it!!!

I really liked it. Great acting all around.

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 12-22-2013 07:13 AM

Now for something I'm TOTALLY stoked for.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2BP38770KNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first is my favorite 'let the Home Theater ROAR!!" Blu-Ray.

Baby Lee 12-22-2013 07:16 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2BP38770KNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 12-22-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10300331)

We'll see it. I was really impressed by the first.

Baby Lee 12-22-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10300336)
We'll see it. I was really impressed by the first.

It kind of wierd that Ugly Betty voices such an adorable animated chick, and a Viking no less.

And I know people have issues with Jay voicing the lead, but I think he does a great job.

KCUnited 12-22-2013 08:04 AM

I caught Blackfish yesterday. That definitely buzzkilled my afternoon for a little bit.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-22-2013 09:40 PM

Dallas Buyer's Club was good. Matty M was great.

Anyong Bluth 12-23-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10305118)
Dallas Buyer's Club was good. Matty M was great.

Homeboy has been making some fantastic choices for the projects that he's deciding to do.

His HBO miniseries with Woody Harrelson looks like it's going to be superb! Starts in January I believe.

The Franchise 12-24-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10300377)
I caught Blackfish yesterday. That definitely buzzkilled my afternoon for a little bit.

Starting it right now.

Ceej 12-24-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10300377)

Thought it was pretty interesting.

I could have used MOAR gore though.

Ceej 12-24-2013 04:38 PM

Watched Despicable Me and Kick-Ass 2

DM was great and I'm not sure what took me so long to see it.

KA2 was pretty meh. Hit Girl, when of age, will be a ****ing 10.

Easy 6 12-24-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10309308)
Starting it right now.

So what did you take away from it? Should we be keeping more than a handful of them in captivity for study?

ThaVirus 12-24-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10309437)
So what did you take away from it? Should we be keeping more than a handful of them in captivity for study?

Why keep any at all? They're easily studied in the wild, aren't they?

Easy 6 12-24-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10309486)
Why keep any at all? They're easily studied in the wild, aren't they?

I'm sure its easier to study certain things in a controlled setting like that, obviously you wont be able to get natural/wild habitat behavior or biology data in places like that.

But i'm sure there are basic understandings that can be gleaned in a controlled environment... i'm totally against having 100's of them scattered around the world in amusement parks, but keeping a few for study seems like the smart thing to do imo.

KCUnited 12-24-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10309370)
Thought it was pretty interesting.

I could have used MOAR gore though.

I know, I have Orca: The Killer Whale coming in the mail.

Ceej 12-24-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10309727)
I know, I have Orca: The Killer Whale coming in the mail.

Something about amateur filmed orca film attacks just gets me going.

ThaVirus 12-24-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10309494)
I'm sure its easier to study certain things in a controlled setting like that, obviously you wont be able to get natural/wild habitat behavior or biology data in places like that.

But i'm sure there are basic understandings that can be gleaned in a controlled environment... i'm totally against having 100's of them scattered around the world in amusement parks, but keeping a few for study seems like the smart thing to do imo.

Maybe you're right. I don't mean to turn this into a scientific debate thread because I honestly just don't know, but what do we have to learn from these things? There has never been a recorded orca attack in the wild so it's not like we're trying to save human lives by determining their behavior or something like that. As far as I'm aware, their biological makeup isn't closer to humans than rats so once again, we're not learning anything there.

I just don't see what we need to study, I guess.

Easy 6 12-25-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10309792)
Maybe you're right. I don't mean to turn this into a scientific debate thread because I honestly just don't know, but what do we have to learn from these things? There has never been a recorded orca attack in the wild so it's not like we're trying to save human lives by determining their behavior or something like that. As far as I'm aware, their biological makeup isn't closer to humans than rats so once again, we're not learning anything there.

I just don't see what we need to study, I guess.

I hear you, i'm no scientist and don't know every angle, but just off the top of my head... how they deal with pathogens and diseases, why they're immune to some and not others, how they communicate is a biggie, the interactions between the sexes, how and when they breed, even if only in controlled environments.

The idea i really like is dismantling 9 of 10 parks and having the worlds scientists put their money into much fewer, but much bigger and better research facilities for them... HUGE pools with varying depths, wave action machines that partially simulate oceanic currents, anything to better their lives and make it more comfortable/natural.

It would never be the open ocean, but would atleast help things imo.

And theres always the possibility of something going drastically wrong with wild populations, in which case it would be great to have captive stock you could breed and hope to release into the wild to aid in repopulation.

Just a few ideas that go beyond orcas into any animal we're worried about losing.

patteeu 12-25-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9804355)
I saw the way way back on Saturday. It thought it was pretty funny. I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. My family and I enjoyed this one.

It's taken several months to percolate to the top of my netflix queue and I didn't remember who recommended it. It was slightly difficult to figure out since search here requires 4+ letter words, but I'm glad I found your post because that's 2 for 2 on recommendations from you, so I need to follow your entertainment lead more closely. :)

Anyong Bluth 12-25-2013 05:35 PM

I know it's been getting good reviews, but Saving Mr. Banks was a disappointment in my book. Took my niece and nephew, and the movie was kinda just sad about how Mrs. Tavers (Mary Poppins creator) and Walt Disney, to some degree, grew up in dysfunctional homes and their outlets were these fantasy worlds to escape sad childhoods. That would be fine and all, but it never really turned a corner and had a great redeeming scene to fulfill the story.

ThaVirus 12-25-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10310005)
I hear you, i'm no scientist and don't know every angle, but just off the top of my head... how they deal with pathogens and diseases, why they're immune to some and not others, how they communicate is a biggie, the interactions between the sexes, how and when they breed, even if only in controlled environments.

The idea i really like is dismantling 9 of 10 parks and having the worlds scientists put their money into much fewer, but much bigger and better research facilities for them... HUGE pools with varying depths, wave action machines that partially simulate oceanic currents, anything to better their lives and make it more comfortable/natural.

It would never be the open ocean, but would atleast help things imo.

And theres always the possibility of something going drastically wrong with wild populations, in which case it would be great to have captive stock you could breed and hope to release into the wild to aid in repopulation.

Just a few ideas that go beyond orcas into any animal we're worried about losing.

That's fair enough.

On another note, I watched The Croodz or however it was supposed to be spelled. It was pretty good; the sloth was really cute.

The Franchise 12-26-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10309437)

It was definitely an interesting movie....obviously skewed in one direction but that was to be expected.

It wasn't your typical "x" is evil type of documentary though. It's crazy that I've NEVER heard of any of those attacks. Sea World must be ****ing awesome at covering that shit up.

Honestly though....I'd do like you said in a post above this one. Shut down the parks and build a massive one. Not a "come watch the orcas do stupid tricks" type park....but a come watch them in their natural habitat type park. More like a HUGE ****ing aquarium. It's pretty sad that shit like this happens.

Fish 12-26-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10311154)
It was definitely an interesting movie....obviously skewed in one direction but that was to be expected.

It wasn't your typical "x" is evil type of documentary though. It's crazy that I've NEVER heard of any of those attacks. Sea World must be ****ing awesome at covering that shit up.

Honestly though....I'd do like you said in a post above this one. Shut down the parks and build a massive one. Not a "come watch the orcas do stupid tricks" type park....but a come watch them in their natural habitat type park. More like a HUGE ****ing aquarium. It's pretty sad that shit like this happens.

The problem is that it's simply impossible to build a natural habitat for them that's sufficient for their lifestyle. They have a range of up to 1000 miles. And they need that kind of space.

Sad deal for sure.

Anyong Bluth 12-26-2013 08:43 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street was a blast- 3 hours of complete overindulgance, but wonderful as you would expect from Scorsese. I was totally impressed with Jonah Hill's performance, as well as the guy that played the main FBI agent, Agent Denim, and Leo was very good also. I guess I just was amused by Hill's character the most. MM's character was also a good cameo- he's in it way less than I thought he'd be.

Not a family flick- tons of nudity, and his 2nd wife (Leo's), Naomi, is banging hot, 10 outta 10. Kinda funny that his 1st wife is played by the same girl that's the mystery mom in How I Met Your Mother.

chiefzilla1501 12-28-2013 02:03 AM

If anyone wants to watch a violent movie (and when I say violent, I don't mean that a couple people get shot... I mean that people get completely slashed up in plain view)...

And if you don't mind subtitles....

"The Man from Nowhere" is a pretty ****ing incredible action movie and available on Netflix

Easy 6 12-28-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10311154)

No lie about Sea Worlds cover up skills, only a handful of dozens of attacks ever saw the light of day.

Sure-Oz 12-28-2013 09:31 PM

Just finished up "Prisoners".

really good movie, intense for a good portion of it, def worth a rent

Bowser 12-29-2013 12:03 AM

Killing Them Softly was.....off, somehow. It was ok, I guess, but I don't think I'll watch it again if it's on.

Bowser 12-29-2013 12:05 AM

And SpikeTV is showing The Departed. That is definitely one movie that does not work with the bad words dubbed over.

mr. tegu 12-29-2013 01:24 AM

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was pretty good. It doesn't change your world or anything but it is unique in how its filmed and it is very entertaining in its simplistic way. It also has some good humorous moments as well.

-King- 12-30-2013 04:51 PM

I think I've watched only like 5 good movies this year. Just finished the Purge and I have to watch another movie. I can't allow my 2013 to end on that note movie-wise. Movie was just 2 hours of facepalm inducing decisions.

Anyong Bluth 12-30-2013 05:04 PM

Just watched All is Lost with Robert Redford, and loved it. He's the only actor in it and there's about 50 words of dialogue in the movie, but I found it really enjoyable.

I can see how others might be bored as hell with it, but I really liked it.

blaise 12-30-2013 05:29 PM

I watched a movie the other night called "Mixed Blood". It was from the 70's I think. Kind of a weird movie. At first I thought it was a really bad gangster movie, but then it started to dawn on me that it was a goof so I googled it and read that the director liked making these sort of bizarre films. Some of the dialogue and acting was so bad you sort of had to chuckle.
Anyway, I couldn't stop watching it. If you can ever find it watch it for fun.

Easy 6 12-31-2013 12:00 AM

If you never listen to another word i say, please just heed this advice... if it stars Val Kilmer and LL Cool J?

Please don't waste your time, don't do it, time waits for no one and you'll never get it back.

nstygma 12-31-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10323372)
If you never listen to another word i say, please just heed this advice... if it stars Val Kilmer and LL Cool J?

Please don't waste your time, don't do it, time waits for no one and you'll never get it back.

Surely you're not talking about the classic, Mindhunters ?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297284/

Easy 6 12-31-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10323565)
Surely you're not talking about the classic, Mindhunters ?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297284/

:harumph: do. NOT remind me... i cant hear you lalala/fingers in ears.

My stupid, barely coherent 3:40am thoughts are FAR more entertaining than that turd by infinity X pi, only more so.

Val, he fell sooo far...

nstygma 12-31-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10323567)
:harumph: do. NOT remind me... i cant hear you lalala/fingers in ears.

My stupid, barely coherent 3:40am thoughts are FAR more entertaining than that turd by infinity X pi, only more so.

Val, he fell sooo far...

I just got done watching Tombstone! Val is the best EVAR!

ThaVirus 12-31-2013 12:31 PM

I actually liked Mindhunters. I haven't seen it in forever though..

beach tribe 12-31-2013 12:38 PM

Just watched the original Oldboy.

That hallway fight may be my favorite of all time.

beach tribe 12-31-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10323569)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6gSj1G4Vf0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jspchief 12-31-2013 01:10 PM

Frozen is good. If you ever take your kids to the movies, this is one you won't hate.

BigMeatballDave 12-31-2013 07:13 PM

Just watched American Hustle.

Loved it.

kcxiv 01-01-2014 12:45 AM

american hustle was a big Meh.

Lone Survivor now we are talking! This movie is absolutely brutal. What some of these guys have to go through is just nuts. I can see why my friend said **** this after 3 tours. He said he was losing it watching his friends blow up in front of him. This movie pulls no punches. Once the action starts it dont stop til the end.

Dayze 01-01-2014 12:57 PM

wife and I watched "Top Secret" last night. love that damn movie.

Bowser 01-01-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10326079)

"Let me know if his condition changes.

*hangs up phone*

He's dead."

mike_b_284 01-01-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10322456)
I think I've watched only like 5 good movies this year. Just finished the Purge and I have to watch another movie. I can't allow my 2013 to end on that note movie-wise. Movie was just 2 hours of facepalm inducing decisions.

Terrible movie. I watched Out of the Furnace recently, depressing but well done.

Dayze 01-01-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10326081)
"Let me know if his condition changes.

*hangs up phone*

He's dead."

LMAO
there are so many great lines in that.

When they're introducing the torturers to Nick and telling him of their specialties etc "Klaus is a moron who only believes what he reads in the New York Post"

siberian khatru 01-01-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10326079)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YOrxqdHmSLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo 01-01-2014 01:19 PM

American Hustle was a very enjoyable film.

Recommended.

Bowser 01-01-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10326126)
American Hustle was a very enjoyable film.

Recommended.

How did Jennifer Lawrence look? THESE ARE IMORTANT QUESTIONS THAT WILL HELP ME DECIDE IF I WANT TO SEE IT

Fire Me Boy! 01-01-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10326137)
How did Jennifer Lawrence look? THESE ARE IMORTANT QUESTIONS THAT WILL HELP ME DECIDE IF I WANT TO SEE IT

Good, but Amy Adams looked better.

Bowser 01-01-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10326147)
Good, but Amy Adams looked better.

Huh, didn't see that coming.

A two-fer. Better go see it, I guess.

Dayze 01-01-2014 01:28 PM

*serves the dinner entree*
"Your flaming hog balls"....

Anyong Bluth 01-01-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10323569)

If anyone hasn't seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang with him & Robert Downey Jr, it's a fantastic movie! Highly recommend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10324306)
Just watched the original Oldboy.

That hallway fight may be my favorite of all time.

I watched it about 6 weeks ago, and thought it was very good. I haven't seen the remake by Spike Lee with Josh Brolin, but it didn't get good reviews, and was a flop at the box office- not that I always take that as gospel, as there's plenty of movies I have loved that got panned by the "critics".

I'm sure I'll catch it on demand or when it hits Prime or NetFlix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10325063)
Just watched American Hustle.

Loved it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10325535)
american hustle was a big Meh.

Lone Survivor now we are talking! This movie is absolutely brutal. What some of these guys have to go through is just nuts. I can see why my friend said **** this after 3 tours. He said he was losing it watching his friends blow up in front of him. This movie pulls no punches. Once the action starts it dont stop til the end.

I definitely liked it- but I wasn't blown away. Both female leads are tough characters not to want to punch in the throat, same goes for Cooper's character.
I liked Renner's performance, as well as Bales. The big hair and weird hairdo on Renner kept distracting me, and I realized he totally looked like or reminded me of one of those toy troll dolls everyone's seen with the big bushy hair.

Loved the Louie C.K. surprise - the guy actually has some acting chops and getting better and better. I'm already highly fond of his talents behind the camera, where he writes, directs, and edits his show on Fx. I actually think what he's been doing with that show is some of the best fresh and original stuff out there, and in retrospect it will get greater recognition than it probably does in the contemporary.

I actually found myself feeling bad for Bales and Renner's characters.

Nothing much to criticize, and this is probably only in relation to all of David O'Russell's other movies, but the story just lacked some punch. Just that 2 or 3 dynamite scenes to take it over the top and stir you up in some emotional manner. But, still a very very good movie.

Still would have to rank it for DO'R:

1. Silver Linings Playbook
2. I ♥ Huckabees
3. The Fighter
4. American Hustle

Anyong Bluth 01-01-2014 01:29 PM

Watched Thanks for Sharing - would highly recommend it!

Fire Me Boy! 01-01-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10326160)
I definitely liked it- but I wasn't blown away. Both female leads are tough characters not to want to punch in the throat, same goes for Cooper's character.
I liked Renner's performance, as well as Bales. The big hair and weird hairdo on Renner kept distracting me, and I realized he totally looked like or reminded me of one of those toy troll dolls everyone's seen with the big bushy hair.

Loved the Louie C.K. surprise - the guy actually has some acting chops and getting better and better. I'm already highly fond of his talents behind the camera, where he writes, directs, and edits his show on Fx. I actually think what he's been doing with that show is some of the best fresh and original stuff out there, and in retrospect it will get greater recognition than it probably does in the contemporary.

I actually found myself feeling bad for Bales and Renner's characters.

Nothing much to criticize, and this is probably only in relation to all of David O'Russell's other movies, but the story just lacked some punch. Just that 2 or 3 dynamite scenes to take it over the top and stir you up in some emotional manner. But, still a very very good movie.

Still would have to rank it for DO'R:

1. Silver Linings Playbook
2. I ♥ Huckabees
3. The Fighter
4. American Hustle

Renner reminded me of a young Oliver Platt with that hairdo.

KcMizzou 01-01-2014 08:49 PM

Europa Report is a pretty cool "hard" scifi flick. It's on Netflix. Pretty intense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w2BfobyYOmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In58men 01-01-2014 09:45 PM

I am about to watch 2 Guns in 20 minutes. Any good?

BigBeauford 01-01-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10327305)
I am about to watch 2 Guns in 20 minutes. Any good?

I have heard it to be generic frenemy/buddy cop fare from a guy who isn't too picky, but I usually find Denzel to be watchable. Whalberg I can do without.

Anyong Bluth 01-01-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10326177)
Renner reminded me of a young Oliver Platt with that hairdo.

Good call!

In58men 01-02-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 10327422)
I have heard it to be generic frenemy/buddy cop fare from a guy who isn't too picky, but I usually find Denzel to be watchable. Whalberg I can do without.

It was pretty good. Marky Marks role was really good.

I give it 3 stars. Grade wise "B-"

-King- 01-02-2014 06:10 AM

Damn, Lone Survivor was a great movie. Extremely intense.

Fairplay 01-02-2014 04:55 PM

We're the Millers is very funny, Jennifer Aniston is hot.

Easy 6 01-02-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10328993)
We're the Millers is very funny, Jennifer Aniston is hot.

I bet that IS funny, Sudeikis is hilarious and you can hardly go wrong with Aniston.

Seems like theres a ton of movies I need to see these days, this, Europa Report, Lone Survivor... plenty of good ones for boring winter nights.

Fairplay 01-02-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10329000)
I bet that IS funny, Sudeikis is hilarious and you can hardly go wrong with Aniston.

Seems like theres a ton of movies I need to see these days, this, Europa Report, Lone Survivor... plenty of good ones for boring winter nights.

There are so many laughs in that movie and I'm not big on comedys believe me, to many bad ones.

Easy 6 01-02-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10327165)
Europa Report is a pretty cool "hard" scifi flick. It's on Netflix. Pretty intense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w2BfobyYOmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Computers, though slow and dangerous behind the wheel, actually CAN serve a purpose :D

Watched this for free just now and yeah, definitely worth my time... i'm prepared to go off, but wont so as not to be a spoiler.

Cons - too slow in developing, I WANT to be invested in a movies characters, but a movie like this doesn't necessarily require this much of it. It would be nice if they could atleast halfway explain what it was that was found on Europa, and if they couldn't... atleast get to the meat of things a bit quicker.

Pros - beautiful imagining of a modern day ship built to go that far, very believeable both inside and out, it reminded me of space shuttle footage, highly realistic. Awesome renderings of Jupiter, Europa and views of Jupiter from Europa, extremely realistic. Best of all, unlike Prometheus... the scientists onboard actually act like SCIENTISTS, not a bunch of compulsive, horny, petulant high school kids, they come off just like they should for the most part.

All things considered... glad I didn't spend $8 plus snacks, but glad I bothered to watch, i'd give it 75% of 100.

Skyy God 01-02-2014 09:48 PM

Warm Bodies, despite the zombie rom com setup, is quite good.