ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

Baby Lee 08-01-2019 08:25 PM

Spades new Comedy Central show is off to a flying start, at least from the clips I've seen.

Nothing earth-shattering, just good reliable laughs.

Baby Lee 08-08-2019 02:08 AM

South Side is 3 eps in, and I think it's skyrocketing to the funniest of the summer.
The humor just comes from all angles, because the writing is snappy and the stories are creative.

It's funny because all the characters have a chance to be good, bad, sweet and sour, and just let them be that, and all the twists and angles and fast talk everyone does to justify their own little hustle has it's own energy and humanity.

It's like Robert Townsend's vision with Dave Chappelle's wit and cynicism.

It's not profound or world-changing, it's just blunt and funny.

<iframe width="615" height="346" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ADn6qWVHZYU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigBeauford 08-08-2019 04:17 PM

I know there is a thread on it, but "The Boys"! Has potential to be a real cultural fixation ala GoT.

TwistedChief 08-21-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13620209)
I'm only 3 episodes in, but HBO's Succession has been enjoyable. So far it seems well cast, written, and directed. It's about an dysfunctional, uber wealthy family who's patriarch is stepping away from the family business. It's not necessarily a binge watch for me as I find it better in 1 episode every couple day doses, which is kind of refreshing.

Two episodes into season 2 of Succession. I think it's hilarious (it's really not a comedy though) and love the characters as much as any show I can really remember. Thoroughly enjoyable and loosely based on the Murdochs.

KCUnited 08-22-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14403276)
Two episodes into season 2 of Succession. I think it's hilarious (it's really not a comedy though) and love the characters as much as any show I can really remember. Thoroughly enjoyable and loosely based on the Murdochs.

Looking forward to starting season 2 this weekend. Like you, I highly enjoy the characters and find myself chuckling throughout even though it can get quite sad.

KCUnited 09-28-2019 08:20 PM

Marianne on Netflix if you're into suspense/horror. French, subtitled, and extremely filmatic for a series. Demonic type suspense/horror that's very well done. Had to pull myself away from it.

Baby Lee 10-02-2019 11:16 AM

If you haven't watched, you owe yourself, and the new season starts soon!!

<iframe width="602" height="339" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X49Wf5R0wI0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 10-03-2019 09:55 AM

I've been watching "The Righteous Gemstones". It's not as good as "Eastbound and Down" but it's pretty entertaining and funny. Goggins as "Baby Billy" cracks me up.

Baby Lee 11-08-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14286050)
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm not gonna look it up...

Killing Eve on BBC America just finished its second season, and it's one of the best shows on TV. Only 8 eps/season, so it's not hard to get caught up. I DVR'd and watched the entire second season in one sitting, in fact. It's worth it.

Fleabag lives up to the hype. [FTR, lead actress, writer and creator of Fleabag is writer and creator of Killing Eve].

Very British, very now. But still very relatable.

The central conceits are the competing stresses of family and relationships, particularly in the clash/environment of wild personal lives with proper manners/etiquette. This is informed by the central character making the audience her confidante, telling the camera the subtext of the situation or her personal reactions in the middle of the scene. I've honestly never seen someone who can say so many many many things with her eyes.

It's 2 seasons, 6 eps each, 30-minute eps. Very bingeable, or nice little bite-sized bits to mix into your rotation. Looks like it's done, but it's done like the BBC Office was, not because it wasn't popular but because the story is told [for now]. And besides the humor and situations, the overall story is moving as well.

Somewhere midway between Hugh Grant, Woody Allen and Ricky Gervais.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5Uv6cb9YRs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT - to add, thinking on it, a lot of people might be dissuaded from this show by the buzz of how it's all this feminist girl power. That it might be some of that strident preachy stuff that's en vogue right now. But one of the most refreshing things about the show overall is how open and honest it is about the main character talking a good game about modern empowerment, while she harbors some deeply sentimental and traditional notions. There's a lot that's messy, but the things they are striving for will set many hearts aflutter as it resonates with their own personal foibles. It's tough to detail without spoiling far too much, but there are decisions made and growth demonstrated that you might not think possible these days. Maybe the talent of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, beyond just being a good writer, is being a good writer who respects the complexity of both trying to be unique AND finding meaning.

MelGrif 11-11-2019 04:50 AM

Great thread! Since The Big Band Theory finished, I'm looking for the good series to watch. I've already seen True Detective (liked the 1st and the 3rd seasons), The Umbrella Academy (now I'm looking forward to the new season) and How to Get Away with Murder (liked only three first seasons). I should say, there are many good suggestions here. Tanks for sharing!

MahiMike 11-11-2019 03:17 PM

I'm getting tired of LeftFlix. Seems every show I try to watch has not so subtle leftist undertones. Is there anything left that doesn't include LGBTQ bias?

KCUnited 12-26-2019 10:21 AM

The Confession Killer on Netflix

bugs bunny sawing texas off the union.gif

It's a Making A Murderer, Innocent Man type docuseries.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-26-2019 10:33 AM

‘You’ Season 2 hits Netflix today.

KCUnited 01-07-2020 06:26 AM

I'll add Messiah on Netflix for the first 4 episodes alone. From there it gets a little wonky (change in directors) but still finishes relatively strong. Overall, it's very well done with a lot of layered thought material. Still processing it a day later. It's a legit binger.

Synopsis: conman, the actual messiah, or antichrist, intertwined into present day geopolitics

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-07-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 14702865)
I'll add Messiah on Netflix for the first 4 episodes alone. From there it gets a little wonky (change in directors) but still finishes relatively strong. Overall, it's very well done with a lot of layered thought material. Still processing it a day later. It's a legit binger.

Synopsis: conman, the actual messiah, or antichrist, intertwined into present day geopolitics

This! It really is a good show.

Buehler445 01-10-2020 12:40 AM

I got a half rate on Showtime for a few months so I decided to watch a couple series I've been wanting to catch.

Ray Donovan I didn't really know what to expect here. I thought maybe it would suck hard, but holy **** I couldn't get enough. Especially binging it. Liev destroys the role. God I wish I was as cool as that dude. There aren't too many things that the show did wrong. It wasn't terribly groundbreaking in terms of plot, but the writing was tight and it did everything well. I cared about all the characters, even the ancillary ones like Terry and Bunch. John Voigt was probably born to play Mickey Donovan. I think one of my favorite characters was dog the dog. Or colloquially Dawwg the Dawwwwwwg.

Homeland Long live Inigo Montoya! Mandy Patinkin does a kick ass job in this show. The first season does a great job of leaving it up in the air of whether Brodie is a terrorist or not. 2 and 3 aren't as good because it's out, but it picks up after that. It does a really solid job and Claire Daines gets better every season.

Baby Lee 02-09-2020 01:07 AM

I thought I'd posted about it in past seasons, but High Maintenance is back.

Such a gem of a show. Just the right length, brilliant concept, and this season's premiere was genuinely moving.

If you're not familiar with the conceit, the bearded biking dude in the trailer is 'the dude' and he's a weed dealer in NY. And the stories are only peripherally about him. Week to week, you drop in on his various and random [though occasionally serialized] customers as they go about their lives then interact with him when they buy their weed. So it's a bunch of little slice of city life stories connected by weed.

And the greatness of it is it can go anywhere. From loners and shut-ins to yuppies and broadway stars to nudists and swingers, to even boomers in the suburbs. Whomever wants some weed is the storyline for the week.

If you haven't caught any of it, they are worth catching up with past seasons, and it started as a web series, so you can still find a lot of it on youtube and vimeo and dailymotion. And of course, HBO has the whole package if you stream them.

<iframe width="647" height="364" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/duGwZSnbLcs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThaVirus 03-08-2020 08:05 PM

I finished Ballers on HBO. It was entertaining but somewhat hollow.

Thinking of hitting Deadwood or Rome next. The first episode of Rome did not impress.

Buehler445 03-08-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14830581)
I finished Ballers on HBO. It was entertaining but somewhat hollow.

Thinking of hitting Deadwood or Rome next. The first episode of Rome did not impress.

Rome is legit. It’s not aged the best but it is good. Stick with it.

Have you watched the wire?

vailpass 03-08-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14830587)

This x100. Liked it so much I ended up naming my dog after a character.

Buehler445 03-08-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14830599)
This x100. Liked it so much I ended up naming my dog after a character.

Which one?

ThaVirus 03-08-2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14830587)

Oh, indeed!

The Wire, Sopranos and Game of Thrones would honestly make my all-time top 5 TV shows.

That’s kinda why I’m sticking with HBO for now. Couldn’t get into Westworld and Rome didn’t impress at first but Deadwood’s got potential.

Buehler445 03-08-2020 09:50 PM

Stick with Rome and then hit Deadwood.

Westworld is good but I can see how a guy could not get too into it.

vailpass 03-08-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14830624)
Which one?

Pullo

Buehler445 03-08-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14830757)
Pullo

:rockon: That’s what I figured. What a great name for a really good character.

I might have to re-watch Rome again. They did a great job of not making it formulaic or diluted by being too big. Even though we know where the story was going, we didn’t know how we could get there with the characters they were following.

Coochie liquor 03-09-2020 03:04 AM

I’m probably just late to the party but, Happy! is ****ing amazing. To me it has a bit of a Deadpool vibe to it. Twisted dark humor, action, violence, blood, and the story line is insane. If you haven’t seen it, I can’t recommend it enough.

Coochie liquor 03-09-2020 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13455105)
For no reason I can think of I started watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix today. About to finish season 1. So far a good show. I think season 3 starts tonight on Sundance.

We just finished the 3 seasons, and what a good show. Enjoyed the hell out of it!

vailpass 03-10-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14830841)
:rockon: That’s what I figured. What a great name for a really good character.

I might have to re-watch Rome again. They did a great job of not making it formulaic or diluted by being too big. Even though we know where the story was going, we didn’t know how we could get there with the characters they were following.

Agreed on all points. Gritty, at times comedic, and real.I’m fascinated by that time period. The dialogue in that series was superbly written and performed.

patteeu 03-17-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14582223)
Fleabag lives up to the hype. [FTR, lead actress, writer and creator of Fleabag is writer and creator of Killing Eve].

Very British, very now. But still very relatable.

The central conceits are the competing stresses of family and relationships, particularly in the clash/environment of wild personal lives with proper manners/etiquette. This is informed by the central character making the audience her confidante, telling the camera the subtext of the situation or her personal reactions in the middle of the scene. I've honestly never seen someone who can say so many many many things with her eyes.

It's 2 seasons, 6 eps each, 30-minute eps. Very bingeable, or nice little bite-sized bits to mix into your rotation. Looks like it's done, but it's done like the BBC Office was, not because it wasn't popular but because the story is told [for now]. And besides the humor and situations, the overall story is moving as well.

Somewhere midway between Hugh Grant, Woody Allen and Ricky Gervais.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5Uv6cb9YRs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT - to add, thinking on it, a lot of people might be dissuaded from this show by the buzz of how it's all this feminist girl power. That it might be some of that strident preachy stuff that's en vogue right now. But one of the most refreshing things about the show overall is how open and honest it is about the main character talking a good game about modern empowerment, while she harbors some deeply sentimental and traditional notions. There's a lot that's messy, but the things they are striving for will set many hearts aflutter as it resonates with their own personal foibles. It's tough to detail without spoiling far too much, but there are decisions made and growth demonstrated that you might not think possible these days. Maybe the talent of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, beyond just being a good writer, is being a good writer who respects the complexity of both trying to be unique AND finding meaning.

Pretty unique show. Very funny.

BigBeauford 03-17-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14848069)
Pretty unique show. Very funny.

Does it get better after the first 10 minutes? Wife and I noped out (and we LOOOOVE Catastrophe).

patteeu 03-18-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14849892)
Does it get better after the first 10 minutes? Wife and I noped out (and we LOOOOVE Catastrophe).

The second season is supposedly better than the first, but I've just seen the first. If it wasn't for you in the first 10 min, it probably isn't for you.

Shogun 03-18-2020 06:56 AM

Locke and Key was AWESOME IMO

and The Umbrella academy is pretty good so far, I'm not all the way through the first season yet.

Tribal Warfare 03-18-2020 08:03 AM

The Korean zombie series Kingdom is out with season 2

Monticore 03-18-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 14850054)
Locke and Key was AWESOME IMO

and The Umbrella academy is pretty good so far, I'm not all the way through the first season yet.

I liked umbrella, will have to try Locke, anybody see Killing Eve , I liked it , having a crazy, emphasis on crazy hot assassin helped keep me interested.

Coochie liquor 03-19-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14850107)
The Korean zombie series Kingdom is out with season 2

We just watched season one and started season 2. Damn it’s pretty bad ass. Those zombies are a far cry from the ones in Walking Dead. If zombies happen that way, we’re ****ed!

Baby Lee 03-20-2020 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monticore (Post 14851617)
I liked umbrella, will have to try Locke, anybody see Killing Eve , I liked it , having a crazy, emphasis on crazy hot assassin helped keep me interested.

It's stylish and intriguing. It's a little bit pulpy/melodramatic if that isn't your style. But if you like location shooting, and cat/mouse intrigue between a sociopathic killing machine and a methodical detective, with a hint of romantic fascination/attraction, it's right up your alley.

Baby Lee 03-27-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monticore (Post 14851617)

If you're binging, so time to catch up on Killing Eve. Returning early . . .

<iframe width="800" height="448" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uJCxUaClpzE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nickhead 04-08-2020 01:16 AM

The Wizards of AUS:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yv3DedNXN4o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

quite funny. posting the first episode here, then you can find the rest on youtube :thumb:

Monkey God 04-08-2020 10:37 PM

On the recommendation from a friend I started watching "Letterkenny" on Hulu. Some of the best laughs I've had in a long time. If you're looking for great comedy check it out.

Nickhead 04-09-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey God (Post 14895797)
On the recommendation from a friend I started watching "Letterkenny" on Hulu. Some of the best laughs I've had in a long time. If you're looking for great comedy check it out.

marinate on that one for a bit :D

i posted a thread about the show, not knowing there was already a thread about the show. ROFL

Sorry 04-09-2020 11:27 PM

Please watch "Dave".

Miles 04-11-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14895890)
marinate on that one for a bit :D

i posted a thread about the show, not knowing there was already a thread about the show. ROFL

I watched the whole show in about a week during this lockdown after a friend told me about it. Sure I’m missing some of the lingo but pretty amusing and some really hot Canadian women helps.

BigBeauford 04-13-2020 09:48 AM

I just have to say, if you haven't seen HBO's Succession, you should correct that mistake post-haste.

Buehler445 04-13-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14903720)
I just have to say, if you haven't seen HBO's Succession, you should correct that mistake post-haste.

Love succession.

Baby Lee 04-19-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 13527726)
Anybody watch Bosch on Amazon? This one of the best written , most realistic cop shows I've ever seen. I just finished a binge of Season 4.

Finally decided to pull the trigger on this one due to quarantine. Thus far, I've gotten through S1 and S2. Solid.

Infatuated with that HHW pad of his. Tumescent even.

[here's a link to the address used. You don't see much of the house from streetside, but slide over a couple yards to see the view you get FROM the house from a nearby clearing]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...8gEwAHoECAAQAQ

Also weird is seeing his daughter. Since this was the last time I'd seen her.

Spoiler!

kc rush 04-19-2020 07:34 AM

Just finished season 6 of Bosch. Loved it.

Baby Lee 04-19-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 14916414)
Just finished season 6 of Bosch. Loved it.

glad to know it holds up, . . . staves off the scramble to find the next binge for a while during this mishegas.

Buehler445 04-19-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14916428)
glad to know it holds up, . . . staves off the scramble to find the next binge for a while during this mishegas.

Yeah don’t quit on it. There are a few lulls but each season has a story that I ended up caring about.

There is some fairly extensive discussion I think in the Prime Video thread. Prolly ought to stay out until you’re through, but the long and short of it is this is a show I wouldn’t normally like. And I don’t know why I do but I dig it man. I wasn’t even a big Titus Welliver fan but he crushes it.

I really recommend sticking it out.

sully1983 04-19-2020 09:54 AM

Sorry haven't read the entire thread but I just noticed Waco is now streaming on Netflix. Its a 6 part mini series that came out on Paramount Network back in 2018 and imo it was incredibly interesting.

Taylor Kitsch is a dead ringer as the cult leader and really surprised me with his acting chops in this one. He was scary good.
Also has Michael Shannon as the lead FBI negotiator and is also quite good.

Definitely a fast binge worthy mini series. I highly recommend it!

keg in kc 04-21-2020 02:25 PM

Just a heads up for fans, season 4 of The Last Kingdom hits Netflix on Sunday.

Buehler445 04-21-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14921328)

Thanks. I’m hooked.

Half the time I think it’s awesome. Half the time I think it sucks. But I can’t help but watch it anyway.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 04-21-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I'm hooked, too. I'm fascinated with British history.

BigBeauford 04-22-2020 08:12 AM

For all the succession fanbois here:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Succession but everyone wants some of Logan&#39;s M&amp;Ms <a href="https://t.co/pTxIyXWen4">pic.twitter.com/pTxIyXWen4</a></p>&mdash; Ben Cahn (@Buncahn) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buncahn/status/1183446961023676416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 13, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buehler445 04-22-2020 12:51 PM

LOL. **** off Greg!

Baby Lee 04-24-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14898167)
Please watch "Dave".

Last night's episode was hitting on all cylinders. They got some good writers. It's rounding out into a very good show, not just a decent hang, but some 'must see' shit, appropriate to the thread at hand.

The scene running over the bunny was spot-on.

"Oh baby, it's still alive. We need to find a vet or something"
"I don't think we owe a custodial duty to vermin."

Baby Lee 05-04-2020 10:16 PM

Anyone hyped for a Perry Mason reboot?

LA Crime, HBO, Matthew Rhys, and the good taste to put Radiohead in their trailer appropriately

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CwURtbhpm60" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 05-05-2020 04:32 AM

I’m down. Rhys was really goddamned good in the Americans.

DeepPurple 05-05-2020 08:52 AM

The last series I really got into, so much so that I've seen every episode (63 of them) five times. It's Six Feet Under, it was on HBO from 2001 to 2005. Look at the cast, Richard Jenkins, Peter Krause, Michael C. Hall, Freddy Rodriguez, Frances Conroy, Lauren Ambrose, Rachel Griffiths, Mathew St. Patrick and Jeremy Sisto. Even guest actors who played a few episodes became or were famous, Rainn Wilson before Dwight Schrute was Arthur, and Ben Foster was the confused friend of Claire, Lili Taylor, Joanna Cassidy, James Cromwell, Kathy Bates, Justin Theroux, Ed Begley Jr. and so many more. I think many actors would request to be on the show. I know the creator of The Office, Greg Daniels was a huge fan and that's how he found his Dwight.

It's about the Fisher family and their business, a funeral home in LA and how they go about their daily lives. I guess it could be considered a soap, but it's beyond whatever you would see on daytime TV, of course it's HBO. The show is available on HBO on-demand. Just watch the first episode, if that doesn't grab you, then don't watch anymore.

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-cont...FE_EC210_H.jpg

vailpass 05-05-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Had never heard of this show until I read your post. I'm 3 seasons in and it's some of the dumbest shit I've ever loved. It even has good memes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hu8hXNhog9x9NCPKA

https://starecat.com/content/wp-cont...re-willing.jpg

Buehler445 05-05-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14954541)
Had never heard of this show until I read your post. I'm 3 seasons in and it's some of the dumbest shit I've ever loved. It even has good memes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hu8hXNhog9x9NCPKA

https://starecat.com/content/wp-cont...re-willing.jpg

Early on it was pretty rough. But his acting has gotten a lot better and the interpersonal stuff is actually compelling regardless of a lot of hand waving crap.

Plus. I’m reminded I need to call people assling more.

vailpass 05-05-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14954566)
Early on it was pretty rough. But his acting has gotten a lot better and the interpersonal stuff is actually compelling regardless of a lot of hand waving crap.

Plus. I’m reminded I need to call people assling more.

LMAO

I'm a dumb ass. First season was my favorite though I like the rest.

Uhtred ****s everything that moves is one of the things that makes me laugh.

Hawk 05-05-2020 05:12 PM

Anybody check out Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist?

Pretty quirky show, but good humor, good musical numbers, good cast, and also hits you in the feels pretty good from time to time. Worth a watch if you're looking for something different.

Baby Lee 05-05-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14954768)
Anybody check out Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist?

Pretty quirky show, but good humor, good musical numbers, good cast, and also hits you in the feels pretty good from time to time. Worth a watch if you're looking for something different.

I watch 99.9999% because Jane Levy is one of my onscreen kryptonites.

I'd sit 40 min a week to watch her surf twitter on her phone.

That said, that finale scene with Billy Joel's Lullaby was devastating. Particularly when you know the creator wrote it from personal experience with his own dad passing from the same thing.

Hawk 05-05-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14954781)
I watch 99.9999% because Jane Levy is one of my onscreen kryptonites.

I'd sit 40 min a week to watch her surf twitter on her phone.

That said, that finale scene with Billy Joel's Lullaby was devastating. Particularly when you know the creator wrote it from personal experience with his own dad passing from the same thing.

Yeah, Jane Levy is awesomely adorable on this show. But that whole last 15 minutes of the finale was so emotional. Not a dry eye in our house after that. But I love that they balance it out with humor and songs, makes for a good combination.

The guy who plays Max (and was Jesse on Pitch Perfect) has a really good voice. I'm hoping they renew for a second season. I think they would have already if it weren't for the coronavirus uncertainties.

BucEyedPea 05-06-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

I I thought this series ended at Season 3. After seeing this last, week I watched the 4th season. First part of Season 4 I thought was so-so, but it gets really good. Some character developments I didn't like.

I just think they've copied Daenerys Targaryen of Game of Thrones by turning Brida into a psychopathic killer. At least, she had some humanity in her before. I also didn't care for the turn of coldness in Æthelflæd toward Uhtred, after all he'd done for her when she turned his daughter over to the Danes without involving him in that decision. He always gets screwed and yet he always saves them. Plus, King Edward was such a childish, stupid king who constantly makes dumb decisions unlike his father. That includes not using Uhtred's knowledge of the Danes to help hi m win battles. In real like Edward was a more powerful king.

vailpass 05-06-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14955203)
I I thought this series ended at Season 3. After seeing this last, week I watched the 4th season. First part of Season 4 I thought was so-so, but it gets really good. Some character developments I didn't like.

Gives away the entire fourth season. Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.Gives away the entire fourth season.

Feel free to spoiler tag this.

Baby Lee 05-06-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14955052)
But that whole last 15 minutes of the finale was so emotional.

I wouldn't characterize the 'American Pie' conclusion of the episode as 'emotional,' certainly not compared to the 'Lullaby' part. But it was very heartfelt, appropriate and impressive.

You could feel the care that went into crafting the entire montage.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 05-07-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14955203)

I just think they've copied Daenerys Targaryen of Game of Thrones by turning Brida into a psychopathic killer. At least, she had some humanity in her before. I also didn't care for the turn of coldness in Æthelflæd toward Uhtred, after all he'd done for her when she turned his daughter over to the Danes without involving him in that decision. He always gets screwed and yet he always saves them. Plus, King Edward was such a childish, stupid king who constantly makes dumb decisions unlike his father. That includes not using Uhtred's knowledge of the Danes to help hi m win battles. In real like Edward was a more powerful king.

I think this was probably the weakest season. It was still very good. Just not as good as the others. Ruby Hartley was great as Stiorra. I may have had a stroke, though, because I can't remember who the hell her mother is supposed to be. I don't remember Uhtred having a kid with a Dane.

BucEyedPea 05-07-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 14957925)
I think this was probably the weakest season. It was still very good. Just not as good as the others. Ruby Hartley was great as Stiorra. I may have had a stroke, though, because I can't remember who the hell her mother is supposed to be. I don't remember Uhtred having a kid with a Dane.

Uhtred married a Dane named Gisela and they lived at his estate in Cookham
Uhtred and Gisela form a close bond and eventually the two marry and have three children. She died in child birth.

I am, Lord. I am well, my family are well and there's peace, this is all I ask."
—Gisela to Alfred after he asks if she is content with life in Cookham.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170325152225

https://the-last-kingdom.fandom.com/wiki/Gisela

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 05-07-2020 05:26 PM

Ahh, thanks. Thought she was Saxon for some reason.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12649867)
I caught Medici on Netflix.

It was pretty good. I ended up binging it while I was working in the office some.

The production values are really really good. So if you are a fan of the Renaissance period in general you need to watch it. But it is kind of a murder mystery/political thriller, so it's kind of cool. Kind of in the same vein as house of cards.

However, I caught myself thinking to myself "Oh look, someone is trying to wreck Robb Starks life again." LOL

I just finished Season 3 when I saw there was one a few days ago. I thought Season 1 could be hard to follow at times and a bit boring. I had to look up some history on things that were going on to have it makes some sense. However, Season 2 is much better than Season 1. I thought it was magnificent. Tonight, I just finished Season 3. Also better than Season 1. It was a bit darker but still very good. I'd have to vote Season 2 the best of the three, but they are both very close.

Don't think there's going to be another season from what I've read. If you've read the Rise and Fall of the Medici's there's not a whole lot after that period that would make great drama imo. They'd have to butcher it too much.

You should see all three, especially the second one, which is excellent and follows the history pretty faithfully, unlike Season 1.

It's a great series. I loved famous historical characters such as the artists, both daVinci, then Michelangelo as a teenager in Season 3. Then the women who posed for Botticelli's famous Birth of Venus painting and many of his other paintings, the cousin of Americus Vespucci in Season 2. Season 3 we see Machiavelli. Being an art school grad, who had to study that period it was right up my ally.

Birth of Venus by Botticelli
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bi...t_-_edited.jpg

Buehler445 05-14-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14972068)
I just finished Season 3 when I saw there was one. Season 2 is much better than Season 1. Season 3 as well, which I just finished. Though it was darker.

You should see all three, especially the second one, which is excellent and follows the history pretty faithfully, unlike Season 1.

I’ll check it out. Thanks. I might have to re-watch season 1. I can’t remember a damn thing about it at the moment.

Baby Lee 05-16-2020 09:34 PM

Now that everything is going to hiatus, and still being locked down, I circled back to try out Get Shorty the series. Only watched 5 episodes thus far, but it is more impressive than expected.

It's fairly trod ground in terms of concept, and loosely based on the movie. Basically, an enforcer for a small time mob interest gets ahold of a script that he reads and falls in love with. He takes it to a producer he heard about and tries to get away from mob life and turn his life legit by making a movie.

So you have criminals dealing with corporations dealing with creatives, and nobody knows the whole story that the viewer gets, and they all kind of slide by each other oblivious to different dangers alll around them.

What makes it shine though is the effective employment of deadpan surrealism. Lots of mundane and insane things happening on the same screen at the same time, kind of reminiscent of the dark humor of Pulp Fiction, particularly Jules and Vince's scenes.

I don't want to detail too much, because the best fun of the show is catching it as it happens, but it really does subtle humor well, at least thus far.

I'd heard plenty of good about it, and wanted to put in my voucher. Seems like it didn't get a lot of buzz, since it was an Amazon/Epic production instead of Hulu or Netflix or HBO.

The 'studio head' dealmaker chick is hot, and it took me forever to place her. Because I'd only seen her one other place. She's Megan Stevenson, who played AJ, the sidekick who gave Forrest his tasks and bounced the studio questions off him in Review.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-3gjXz_HJk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cooper barrett 05-17-2020 12:34 AM

Big fan of "Get Shorty" better late to the show than not showing up at all.

Ray Romano is great in his role.

https://releasedate.me/wp-content/up...1itnwzI48.webp
'
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14975478)
Now that everytthing is going to hiatus, and still being locked down, I circled back to try out Get Shorty the series. Only watched 5 episodes thus far, but it is more impressive than expected.

It's fairly trod ground in terms of concept, and loosely based on the movie. Basically, an enforcer for a small time mob interest gets ahold of a script that he reads and falls in love with. He takes it to a producer he heard about and tries to get away from mob life and turn his life legit by making a movie.

So you have criminals dealing with corporations dealing with creatives, and nobody knows the whole story that the viewer gets, and they all kind of slide by each other oblivious to different dangers alll around them.

What makes it shine though is the effective employment of deadpan surrealism. Lots of mundane and insane things happening on the same screen at the same time, kind of reminiscent of the dark humor of Pulp Fiction, particularly Jules and Vince's scenes.

I don't want to detail too much, because the best fun of the show is catching it as it happens, but it really does subtle humor well, at least thus far.

I'd heard plenty of good about it, and wanted to put in my voucher. Seems like it didn't get a lot of buzz, since it was an Amazon/Epic production instead of Hulu or Netflix or HBO.

The 'studio head' dealmaker chick is hot, and it took me forever to place her. Because I'd only seen her one other place. She's Megan Stevenson, who played AJ, the sidekick who gave Forrest his tasks and bounced the studio questions off him in Review.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-3gjXz_HJk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 05-19-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 14975679)
Big fan of "Get Shorty" better late to the show than not showing up at all.

Ray Romano is great in his role.

Got to the season finale.

OF COURSE Brandon has a Juicero!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-shutting-down

KCUnited 05-24-2020 08:02 AM

So far Trial By Media is great. 1 hour docs on famous trials. First was the Jenny Jones talk show murder, the second was the NYC subway vigilante. Both did well to showcase boths sides and have been super interesting.

kcxiv 05-24-2020 11:13 AM

been watching the GoldBergs lately, that shit is funny. Anyone who grew up in the 80's would get a kick out of it i think. Alot of nostalgia.

Baby Lee 05-24-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 14986757)
been watching the GoldBergs lately, that shit is funny. Anyone who grew up in the 80's would get a kick out of it i think. Alot of nostalgia.

It's not a groundbreaking show, but it's a very competent, well-written sitcom.

You can't really binge it because the mother becomes a bit much [I mean her character is a bit much, but also the episodes get repetitive because it's reliably that she sticks her nose in somewhere, people get mad, and in the end they realize her heart's in the right place and love is what matters, . . . but still, a bit much all in a row].

Otherwise, the structure and characters are great. Lots to bounce bits and lines off of. And if you don't OD on the format storyline, the conclusions can get you a little misty-eyed every once in a while.

And the great thing at the very end is when the creator/writer shows a little clip rom his childhood home movies that inspired the previous episode, or where the characters interview the real life people who inspired him.

kcxiv 05-24-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14986801)
It's not a groundbreaking show, but it's a very competent, well-written sitcom.

You can't really binge it because the mother becomes a bit much [I mean her character is a bit much, but also the episodes get repetitive because it's reliably that she sticks her nose in somewhere, people get mad, and in the end they realize her heart's in the right place and love is what matters, . . . but still, a bit much all in a row].

Otherwise, the structure and characters are great. Lots to bounce bits and lines off of. And if you don't OD on the format storyline, the conclusions can get you a little misty-eyed every once in a while.

And the great thing at the very end is when the creator/writer shows a little clip rom his childhood home movies that inspired the previous episode, or where the characters interview the real life people who inspired him.

Yeah, the mom can be a pain in the ass most of the time, once in a while she's decent, but the the shit the brothers get into, make me laugh my ass off. The big tasty and little yum yum episode make me laugh my ass off. The episode with trying to watch the scrambled porn channel hits close to home! lol

sully1983 05-25-2020 05:53 PM

Is the show Devs worth checking out?? The trailer made it seem pretty cool/mysterious (from the director of Ex Machina & Annihilation ) but I don't have HULU.