ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

Sassy Squatch 09-15-2012 08:18 PM

Really? With this o line you call a draw in the endzone

-King- 09-15-2012 08:19 PM

Welp...

-King- 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

ROFL Kicked it right to him.

Frazod 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

Gonna be a long year, guys.

Reaper16 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

These twats couldn't get one first down to win the game? This is not an easy team to like.

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

Face to the palm.

Sassy Squatch 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

LMAO

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:20 PM

Stand to win it.

-King- 09-15-2012 08:21 PM

Good pressure so far. 2 more plays.

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:21 PM

Again and again.

LiveSteam 09-15-2012 08:21 PM

Tiger d getting after it

-King- 09-15-2012 08:21 PM

WHEW!!! Bad throw to win it. I'll take it.

Frazod 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

I think I'll go have a ****ING HEART ATTACK NOW.

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

Over. Stupid **** had to return it just to give ASU some sort of a chance.

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

Praise sweet baby Jesus.

Sassy Squatch 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

Yay?

Sassy Squatch 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

Wow he was open too.

-King- 09-15-2012 08:22 PM

He couldn't have been more open. Wow.

ArrowheadMagic 09-15-2012 08:23 PM

Win is a win. congrats

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:23 PM

Pinkel didn't make the call to sit him; Franklin bitched out.

Reaper16 09-15-2012 08:23 PM

I didn't even smile when that INT happened. So disappointed in this effort.

qabbaan 09-15-2012 08:23 PM

A win is a win, but man. You're +3 at home, you shouldn't be in a close game.

We have to get this offensive line fixed.

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Lol at gay u fans cheering for asu.

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Holy shit. Thank God.

I was literally sweating it out.

ArrowheadMagic 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8912902)
A win is a win, but man. You're +3 at home, you shouldn't be in a close game.

We have to get this offensive line fixed.

Difference between Big XII and SEC is line play, if you were healthy, you were still playing from behind.

-King- 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8912900)
I didn't even smile when that INT happened. So disappointed in this effort.

Only silver lining is that we did it with our backup. But... we have some work to do.

DeezNutz 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

This team looked like complete shit.

If we're committed to the current system, MM better be able to run it better than he drives a scooter, since Berk is not a fit.

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8912891)
I think I'll go have a ****ING HEART ATTACK NOW.

I'll join ya. Jesus...

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 08:27 PM

Good news: Meiners was (sort of) back.

Bad news: The line still sucked.

-King- 09-15-2012 08:28 PM

Can't wait for the Alabama game. We might be 40 point dogs.

kcpasco 09-15-2012 08:28 PM

Damn that was close
That BS face mask penalty had me pissed. But I can see how it would look like one in real time.

Sassy Squatch 09-15-2012 08:28 PM

Offensive play calling is an abomination.

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 08:29 PM

Those three years at the end of my life? I guess I wasn't going to be using them anyway.

-King- 09-15-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 8912933)

Been that way since Chase left.

Frazod 09-15-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8912934)
Those three years at the end of my life? I guess I wasn't going to be using them anyway.

Seriously. Between them and the Chiefs, how the hell am I still alive? :spock:

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8912947)

Chiefs, Tigers, Panthers (UNI), and bacon. I'd hate to see the actual number I've knocked off my life. My hair is greying early, FWIW.

Reaper16 09-15-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8912934)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8912947)

The better question isn't how are [we] alive, but why are [we] alive? What's the point?

pkane 09-15-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 8912933)

Yost needs to go. I'm tired off his plays and play calling.

Bowser 09-15-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8912987)
The better question isn't how are [we] alive, but why are [we] alive? What's the point?

Look, stoner, let us enjoy eeking out a win before you remind us how small we all are in the grand scheme of things.

Bowser 09-15-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkane (Post 8912989)
Yost needs to go. I'm tired off his plays and play calling.

I've felt this way for three seasons now. I was actually shocked, SHOCKED, that we ran out of the I-Formation today. Yost must have lost a bet.

HemiEd 09-15-2012 08:46 PM

WTF? LMAO Mizzou just had a 1Mizzou add on the Texas game.

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8912998)
Look, stoner, let us enjoy eeking out a win before you remind us how small we all are in the grand scheme of things.

LMAO

kepp 09-15-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8913003)
WTF? LMAO Mizzou just had a 1Mizzou add on the Texas game.

Oh man do I hate that commercial.
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby 09-15-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8912950)
Chiefs, Tigers, Panthers (UNI), and bacon. I'd hate to see the actual number I've knocked off my life. My hair is greying early, FWIW.

No shit lol

and I was wondering why I've been losing my hair quickly

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8913002)
I've felt this way for three seasons now. I was actually shocked, SHOCKED, that we ran out of the I-Formation today. Yost must have lost a bet.

We actually loaded up against Georgia in short yardage, and pushed that vaunted d-line back for a 1st down. Happened in the 1st quarter. I was saving it so that if we won, I could point it out as one of my favorite plays.

But the O-line we played with tonight was completely different... and it showed.

Anyway... got a win with an inexperienced QB, and a shitty line... I'll take it.

HemiEd 09-15-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 8913018)
Posted via Mobile Device

I just thought it was kind of funny though, but the more I think about it, it makes more sense. Texas is playing Ole Miss, so it must be an SEC add.

At first though, I thought Mizzou was taking a shot at Texas, ROFL

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 8913018)
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, cheesy as hell... not a fan.

Fairplay 09-15-2012 09:06 PM

A win is a win is all that matters.

Frazod 09-15-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8912987)

Remember, I'm also a Cardinals fan. :)

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8913070)
Remember, I'm also a Cardinals fan. :)

**** off. :#

I have no escape. I could pretend to be into soccer, but I don't think I could pull it off.

Frazod 09-15-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8913081)
**** off. :#

I have no escape. I could pretend to be into soccer, but I don't think I could pull it off.

If it makes you feel any better, they do kind of suck this year.....

:D

Demonpenz 09-15-2012 10:48 PM

Nice win. Get that Qb some experience much like That Short guy came in for brad smith.

|Zach| 09-15-2012 11:02 PM

Are some of the guys on the line gonna start getting healthy? I know Elvis is out for a while but what about some of these other guys.

Sure-Oz 09-15-2012 11:10 PM

DGB ever going to be used?

Pitt Gorilla 09-15-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8913354)
Are some of the guys on the line gonna start getting healthy? I know Elvis is out for a while but what about some of these other guys.

I've heard that Ruth may be back for the second half of the season. Other than that, and Meiners returning to full health, we are what we are. Britt and Morse should be fine on the outside, but they have to be more consistent.

kcpasco 09-15-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8913376)

Ya once they get a Qb that can actually throw the ball.

kcpasco 09-15-2012 11:18 PM

I'm actually hoping for the Mauk era to start early.

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8913376)

Why would you want to try to stretch the field with a physical freak like DGB? Best to use him in the screen game and running game.

redfan 09-16-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8913591)
Why would you want to try to stretch the field with a physical freak like DGB? Best to use him in the screen game and running game.

I was thinking this the whole game.
Yeah, Yost is a super-genius. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 8913608)

Yep. Me, too.

The only thing that I can hypothesize is that DGB is exponentially raw in route running, and this is why he's not being utilized or targeted. That said, we're getting far enough along in the season when even this will be no excuse.

If he needs coaching...wait for it...coach him up. Otherwise, it's criminal not to be exploiting the talents of the most physically gifted skill-position player on the field, regardless of opponent.

redfan 09-16-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8913619)
Yep. Me, too.

The only thing that I can hypothesize is that DGB is exponentially raw in route running, and this is why he's not being utilized or targeted. That said, we're getting far enough along in the season when even this will be no excuse.

If he needs coaching...wait for it...coach him up. Otherwise, it's criminal not to be exploiting the talents of the most physically gifted skill-position player on the field, regardless of opponent.

There is something there that just doesn't add up; maybe his routes aren't that great.
As it is, it kinda reminds me of the Chiefs using TonyG as a blocking TE. :shake:

Frazod 09-16-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 8913608)

Frankly I think we should upgrade all the coaches. But good God, start with Yost.

Mosbonian 09-16-2012 08:50 AM

One of the most gifted WR's ever at MU, Macklin, ran back the kickoffs. If confidence is one of the issues for DGB, why not let him get experience doing that?

Somehow it has to be that he is just so raw that they don't want to kill his confidence. I understand that Moe and Lucas have earned their spots and thus far haven't really done anything to have them taken away from them. And L'Damien Washington has proven he belongs also....but there has to be something they can do with DGB. If nothing else they need to air it out just once or twice a quarter just to keep the defenses honest.

Can it also be that we don't have a QB who can sling the ball that far accurately?

I'd like to see duncan_idaho's take on this...I'm sure he probably has better insight than most of us who are just surmising.

Sure-Oz 09-16-2012 10:17 AM

I wonder if Alabama, Florida etc would have him on the field...

I hope to see this kid soon, there are other freshman WR tearing it up and he is supposed to be the best. Hope its just the playbook/routerunning thing that needs to get up to speed and fast

Pitt Gorilla 09-16-2012 10:41 AM

Two issues at play here, IMO. The first one is that we have incredible depth at WR. DGB has incredible physical talent, but so do Lucas, LDW, Waters, Hunt, and even Sasser. I'd assume that DGB is still getting up to speed on the playbook and very likely needs work in route running.

Which of course is why you have him running go routes (to exploit his size/speed combination.) However, go routes require one thing that Mizzou currently doesn't have much of: time. Mizzou's line is beat up enough that they are having trouble blocking four for a small amount of time. Given that teams have read the book on Mizzou and are sending at least five, the go routes are difficult to execute. Berk took some shots downfield, but he he to lay it out there very early and hope that it timed out correctly. You also run a significant risk of an interception if the timing/placement isn't great, if a safety is playing center field.

Fix the line and you'll fix the deeper routes, IMO.

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8913978)
Two issues at play here, IMO. The first one is that we have incredible depth at WR. DGB has incredible physical talent, but so do Lucas, LDW, Waters, Hunt, and even Sasser. I'd assume that DGB is still getting up to speed on the playbook and very likely needs work in route running.

Which of course is why you have him running go routes (to exploit his size/speed combination.) However, go routes require one thing that Mizzou currently doesn't have much of: time. Mizzou's line is beat up enough that they are having trouble blocking four for a small amount of time. Given that teams have read the book on Mizzou and are sending at least five, the go routes are difficult to execute. Berk took some shots downfield, but he he to lay it out there very early and hope that it timed out correctly. You also run a significant risk of an interception if the timing/placement isn't great, if a safety is playing center field.

Fix the line and you'll fix the deeper routes, IMO.

The line looks even worse because of the slow developing, pseudo-option plays designed for a running QB, which Berk is not. If there's time for that bullshit, and there largely sort of was, then there is time to stretch the field, which the team desperately needs to do, even if the result is an incompletion.

Finally, while Lucas and the like are talented, they don't sniff DGB's natural gifts.

Mosbonian 09-16-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8914015)
Finally, while Lucas and the like are talented, they don't sniff DGB's natural gifts.

You know how many naturally-gifted athletes end up fulfilling their potential? There are so many that get nowhere....or fail in the first 2 years because of unfair expectations.

I'll take easing him in this year and letting him learn because we do have good depth at WR. It's not like we are hurting...

DJ's left nut 09-16-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8914015)
The line looks even worse because of the slow developing, pseudo-option plays designed for a running QB, which Berk is not. If there's time for that bullshit, and there largely sort of was, then there is time to stretch the field, which the team desperately needs to do, even if the result is an incompletion.

They're not as gifted as DGB, sure.

But I'd say the odds are only about 50/50 that DGB ends up as good a player as Lucas is. Marcus Lucas works hard, plays smart, runs great routes and is just a very good ballplayer.

My understanding of the DGB situation right now is that he's been a really cruddy route-runner so far and the coaches don't trust him in the offense. Remember, it's not just running sharp routes, but running correct ones. If he breaks a deep route off after the ball is in the air, it's an easy pick. If he turns in on an out route, it's a pick-6.

Until the coaches can trust that he knows the playbook well enough to be in the right spot, they can't lean on him.

They know how talented this kid is and they know they desperately need his speed/size on the field. If they're not using him, there's a reason. Notice that they tend to use him on the plays that are short, simple and designed around him doing a single thing and the ball going straight to him. Plays you can design specifically for him and tell him exactly what to do.

Give it time.

Pitt Gorilla 09-16-2012 04:12 PM

Thank God for Missouri football. It may be frustrating at times, but it's not a complete clown suit like some other clubs.

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8915201)
They're not as gifted as DGB, sure.

But I'd say the odds are only about 50/50 that DGB ends up as good a player as Lucas is. Marcus Lucas works hard, plays smart, runs great routes and is just a very good ballplayer.

My understanding of the DGB situation right now is that he's been a really cruddy route-runner so far and the coaches don't trust him in the offense. Remember, it's not just running sharp routes, but running correct ones. If he breaks a deep route off after the ball is in the air, it's an easy pick. If he turns in on an out route, it's a pick-6.

Until the coaches can trust that he knows the playbook well enough to be in the right spot, they can't lean on him.

They know how talented this kid is and they know they desperately need his speed/size on the field. If they're not using him, there's a reason. Notice that they tend to use him on the plays that are short, simple and designed around him doing a single thing and the ball going straight to him. Plays you can design specifically for him and tell him exactly what to do.

Give it time.

Then let's tell him to do this one specific thing: go deep.

If this offense stays as compact as it is, it's going to be a very, very long year, and this team was lucky to avoid disaster yesterday, as the game planning was horrendous.

I'm willing to give it a pass, as Pinkel made it all too clear that Frankin wimped out.

That said, DGB needs to be far, far, far better than Lucas, if for nothing else than future recruiting. If the #1 overall prospect in the country ends up being no better than a WR that only fans of the program know, his signing will ultimately be more of a strike against the staff than it was a positive for getting him in the first place.

With a big-time signing comes big-time expectations and pressure.

Pitt Gorilla 09-16-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8917558)
Then let's tell him to do this one specific thing: go deep.

If this offense stays as compact as it is, it's going to be a very, very long year, and this team was lucky to avoid disaster yesterday, as the game planning was horrendous.

I'm willing to give it a pass, as Pinkel made it all too clear that Frankin wimped out.

That said, DGB needs to be far, far, far better than Lucas, if for nothing else than future recruiting. If the #1 overall prospect in the country ends up being no better than a WR that only fans of the program know, his signing will ultimately be more of a strike against the staff than it was a positive for getting him in the first place.

With a big-time signing comes big-time expectations and pressure.

DGB was an enormous get for Mizzou. However, to pretend that Lucas wasn't a HUGE get for Mizzou is disingenuous at best. The kid was a 4-star recruit from the KC area with offers from all over the country. He's 6-5, has good speed and great ball skills.

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8917585)
DGB was an enormous get for Mizzou. However, to pretend that Lucas wasn't a HUGE get for Mizzou is disingenuous at best. The kid was a 4-star recruit from the KC area with offers from all over the country. He's 6-5, has good speed and great ball skills.

He was a very good signing, but not anywhere close to the level of DGB:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...us-Lucas-84464

Pitt Gorilla 09-16-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8917615)
He was a very good signing, but not anywhere close to the level of DGB:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...us-Lucas-84464

Agreed. Claiming that DGB should be "far, far, far" better than an elite receiver in his third year at Mizzou is a bit crazy. He may end up a better receiver, but Lucas being better this year means very little regarding DGB. Lucas, literally, should be better than DGB at this point.

DeezNutz 09-16-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8917656)
Agreed. Claiming that DGB should be "far, far, far" better than an elite receiver in his third year at Mizzou is a bit crazy. He may end up a better receiver, but Lucas being better this year means very little regarding DGB. Lucas, literally, should be better than DGB at this point.

My post was with respect to DGB's ultimate career trajectory at Mizzou. If he ends up being no better than Lucas, it's a big failing on everyone's part. Not saying that has to come to fruition this year.

NewChief 09-16-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8917542)
Thank God for Missouri football. It may be frustrating at times, but it's not a complete clown suit like some other clubs.

Yes. At least you ****ers have Mizzou.

Oh well, my high school team is looking good at least. :cuss:

duncan_idaho 09-17-2012 09:24 AM

Well, that was interesting.

A really nervous fourth quarter, and quite the step-up from the defense late (despite having the deck stacked against them there).

I thought Berkstresser was OK, but sure as hell hope Franklin is healthy next week. The lack of respect for Berk's wheels limits the offense quite a bit, though I was impressed by the amount of WR/RB in motion use across the formation. That adds some misdirection, an element that is missing with a cement-footed QB.

Berkstresser's biggest failing was on the INT. Live, it looked bad. Watching the replay of it... man, just a terrible throw on a play where the scheme had worked and the WR was wide, wide open.

I disagree with criticisms of the game plan. With a freshman at QB, I'd expect it to be pretty conservative (and was surprised a bit it wasn't even more conservative). The poor play of the offensive line (which was awful) severely limits the playbook, too. You need 3-4 seconds to throw a deep ball, especially off of a double move like a slant-and-go. The OL certainly wasn't providing that.

They didn't use the middle of the field as much as I would have liked - it seemed like when they did, it was successful (particularly to McGaffie and Moe). ASU has a pretty decent pass defense (And the Magee kid is a great zone defender at LB), but it shouldn't have limited Missouri THAT much.

Part of that, I think, is not trusting Berkstresser's experience in reading the middle of the field and making quick, hot route throws. That's the most dangerous area of the field to throw to, so it makes sense.

I like getting the ball in DGB's hands a bit on sweeps (and hope to see that as part of the offense moving forward). With Franklin at QB, you could run a speed option behind that sweep and probably find good space - and an overreacting defense.

As a receiver, he still has a ways to go in terms of running routes effectively and at full speed, from what I hear. Honestly, he's got a hill to climb behind some experienced, quality guys in Moe and Lucas and Washington (whose big-play potential is proven). But he'll get there. It might not be this season (or not until later this season), but it will happen.

Overall... they escaped a game against a solid-to-good major conference team with the backup QB taking the snaps. Hopefully, Jesus Freak is now healthy and will be able to play on Saturday against USC, because they need him.

BourbonMan 09-17-2012 09:27 AM

MU safety named SEC defensive player of the week

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/17...#storylink=cpy

Pitt Gorilla 09-18-2012 03:41 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Praye...45449408830846

Will Jacobs is a 13 year old boy from the tiny community of Winigan, MO in Northeast Missouri. He has with a very rare form of malignant brain cancer.

The Mizzou football team heard about Will and sent him the following video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/12gDdrzmvJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 09-18-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8917688)
My post was with respect to DGB's ultimate career trajectory at Mizzou. If he ends up being no better than Lucas, it's a big failing on everyone's part. Not saying that has to come to fruition this year.

I think Lucan can play on Sundays.

Clearly DGB has the talent to do the same, but there are a bunch of 5* guys every year that flame out, regardless of the program.

We need to make him count, for sure. But ultimately sometimes these guys fail. Be it injury, immaturity or a bad fit - you never just assume a guy is going to be a star. Afterall, look at that massive, lazy idiot in the center of our defensive line...

DGB has more talent, but Lucas is getting every last drop of production out of what he has. Unless DGB does the same, he's not going to exceed Lucas. Good luck banking on college kids to pull that off.

duncan_idaho 09-18-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8925727)
I think Lucan can play on Sundays.

Clearly DGB has the talent to do the same, but there are a bunch of 5* guys every year that flame out, regardless of the program.

We need to make him count, for sure. But ultimately sometimes these guys fail. Be it injury, immaturity or a bad fit - you never just assume a guy is going to be a star. Afterall, look at that massive, lazy idiot in the center of our defensive line...

DGB has more talent, but Lucas is getting every last drop of production out of what he has. Unless DGB does the same, he's not going to exceed Lucas. Good luck banking on college kids to pull that off.

It took Lucas a full year to get up to speed. His freshman year didn't see him do much, but he took big strides last year.

Now, if we don't see much out of DGB by next season, then maybe you start to worry.

He also came in at Missouri's deepest position. Lucas, Washington, and Moe are established, high quality guys in this offense. McGaffie is very similar to Moe and has been incredibly consistent. And having a true TE-sized guy (Waters) at the Y does create some advantages.

Plenty of time for him to develop...