ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

DaFace 09-05-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8882146)
I just bought the first season and started watching. It looks pretty decent. I don't know what the hell is going on yet, but it is looking good.

Be VERY careful coming in this thread. GoT is a story where the twists are everything, and the spoiler-free nature of this thread only applies to information that hasn't already been shown on TV (i.e., stuff that's in the books).

And enjoy the ride.

Buehler445 09-05-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8882156)
Be VERY careful coming in this thread. GoT is a story where the twists are everything, and the spoiler-free nature of this thread only applies to information that hasn't already been shown on TV (i.e., stuff that's in the books).

And enjoy the ride.

I haven't read a single post prior to my first one. I'll probably stay out of here for the most part.

Pants 09-06-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8882290)
I haven't read a single post prior to my first one. I'll probably stay out of here for the most part.

I highly recommend you read the books, man.

Buck 10-30-2012 08:26 PM

I was just thinking about how The Walking Dead will end in a couple months, and so will Homeland, and I started to think about what Sunday Night Drama will fill that hole...So I looked up the season 3 premier date and it's March 31st, 2013. **** THAT'S TOO FAR FROM NOW.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-31-2012 08:09 AM

Sweeeeeeeet

vailpass 10-31-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9067345)
I was just thinking about how The Walking Dead will end in a couple months, and so will Homeland, and I started to think about what Sunday Night Drama will fill that hole...So I looked up the season 3 premier date and it's March 31st, 2013. **** THAT'S TOO FAR FROM NOW.

Cool. I was wondering when GOT started again just the other day. Thanks Buck.

Sfeihc 10-31-2012 08:45 PM

If you have NOT read "Storm of Swords" season 3 is going to blow your mind.

BigRedChief 10-31-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 9070153)
If you have NOT read "Storm of Swords" season 3 is going to blow your mind.

uhhh we havent read the books. thats why this thread exists and we dont talk about the books.:rolleyes:

NewChief 10-31-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9070186)
uhhh we havent read the books. thats why this thread exists and we dont talk about the books.:rolleyes:

Correction: some of you illiterate bastards haven't read the books. But yeah; this isn't the thread to discuss them (or make not so subtle "jokes" that refer to future stuff... I'm looking at you vailpass).

kcxiv 10-31-2012 11:50 PM

i know they finished filming season 3. Arya (forgot her real name) tweeted that she was on the way to do the last scene of season 3. So we may be see'ing some commercials for it soon.

Sfeihc 11-01-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9070186)

How is Bubbles?

vailpass 11-01-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9070279)
Correction: some of you illiterate bastards haven't read the books. But yeah; this isn't the thread to discuss them (or make not so subtle "jokes" that refer to future stuff... I'm looking at you vailpass).

A man is offended.

allen_kcCard 11-02-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9072041)
A man is offended.

You lie.

mnchiefsguy 03-09-2013 12:07 PM

Thought I would bump this since Season 3 is getting close. Anyone plan on a re-read, rewatch, or watch and read for the first time before season 3 gets underway?

Fire Me Boy! 03-09-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9479695)
Thought I would bump this since Season 3 is getting close. Anyone plan on a re-read, rewatch, or watch and read for the first time before season 3 gets underway?

Almost done with S1, then will start S2 to coincide with beginning of 3.

Iowanian 03-09-2013 07:16 PM

Ok.
I broke down, read book 1. I'm half way with book 2.

read 3 before watching or not?

Pants 03-09-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9481183)
Ok.
I broke down, read book 1. I'm half way with book 2.

read 3 before watching or not?

Did you watch 1 and 2 before you read the book?

I would def. read A Storm Of Swords before watching S3.

Iowanian 03-09-2013 07:23 PM

Yes.
Watched them both. Reading 2 now, brideowanian is done with 3 and has pretty much said "holy shit". figuring on rewatching season 2 after finishing the book. Quite a bit different so far in book 2.

If you'd have told me 2 years ago she would have read these books, you'd have won a hundred from me because I'd have taken that bet.

Sfeihc 03-09-2013 07:34 PM

Brideowanian is right. Book 3 is the Bombay. Read it ASAP!

Hawk 03-09-2013 07:53 PM

Book 3 is awesome, my advice is read it before watching season 3.

For me, it's easy to watch the show after reading the books because it is visual and fast paced and there are enough differences to keep you interested. On the other hand, it's harder to read the book when you already have seen the show and know the story, maybe because reading takes so much longer.

Iowanian 03-09-2013 10:13 PM

That is my problem so far. Book 1 was tough to get through because I just kept waiting for stuff to happen, Book 2 is better but it's not a fast read for me and I'm just trying to get through it.

More than likely, I'll try to get it done and get going on book 3.

Pants 03-09-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9481756)
That is my problem so far. Book 1 was tough to get through because I just kept waiting for stuff to happen, Book 2 is better but it's not a fast read for me and I'm just trying to get through it.

More than likely, I'll try to get it done and get going on book 3.

Yeah, it must suck knowing everything that's going to happen.

I remember thinking Bran was dead after his fall when I first read AGOT, it would suck knowing he was going to eventually wake up. Just one example of how the lack of suspense could probably render the story somewhat boring.

If you have the patience, though, I would recommend paying attention to details. When I say details, I don't mean descriptions of food or clothing, but rather the thoughts, the events and the flashbacks. All those details matter quite a bit as the story goes on.

Frazod 03-09-2013 11:00 PM

I've said it in the other thread and may have said it in this one, but if I had it to do over again I would NOT have read the books. This show is so well done, the only thing that sucks is knowing what's going to happen.

Plus, IMO the books are overlong and overwrought. By it's very nature, the HBO series can't be like that, so I'm sure they'll trim away vast amounts of Martin's extraneous crap. Which suits me just fine.

Now I'm just stuck knowing everything that's going to happen for the next three seasons, waiting for that rotten old fart to finish book 6. :banghead:

lcarus 03-09-2013 11:58 PM

I really need to watch this show don't I? I'm sure a lot of you sort of have an idea of my tastes in entertainment. I haven't seen a single episode yet, and I know very little about it. Once I start watching it, I'm not gonna stop until I'm caught up am I?

Bowser 03-10-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9482116)
I really need to watch this show don't I? I'm sure a lot of you sort of have an idea of my tastes in entertainment. I haven't seen a single episode yet, and I know very little about it. Once I start watching it, I'm not gonna stop until I'm caught up am I?

Yes, you need to watch it, and nope, this show is more instantly addictive than crack.

Go ahead and try it. All the cool kids do it.

mdchiefsfan 03-10-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9482116)

By far, my favorite TV show. You won't be disappointed.

Hawk 03-10-2013 11:52 AM

The books are fun because of the rich detail of interconnecting info and the subtle style of GRRM who likes to hint and imply instead of just stating things, leaving the reader to figure it out.

For example in the first book, one of the major questions is who are Jon Snow's parents, but the show has never tried to address it because it can't be done through subtle hints and vague scenes like in the book.

Or on the show they just come right out and show Renly as gay and having an affair with Loras, but in the book it never explicitly says Renly is gay, it just implies it with hints here and comments there, very easy to miss if you're not pyaing attention. That's what makes the books fascinating, but also why it takes him years to write them.

I still say its better to read first because reading gives you a broader experience. Plus the show was more willing to stray from the books in season 2, so it is still entertaining to watch despite having read the books already. Just a matter of personal perference I guess.

Pants 03-10-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 9482766)
The books are fun because of the rich detail of interconnecting info and the subtle style of GRRM who likes to hint and imply instead of just stating things, leaving the reader to figure it out.

For example in the first book, one of the major questions is who are Jon Snow's parents, but the show has never tried to address it because it can't be done through subtle hints and vague scenes like in the book.

Or on the show they just come right out and show Renly as gay and having an affair with Loras, but in the book it never explicitly says Renly is gay, it just implies it with hints here and comments there, very easy to miss if you're not pyaing attention. That's what makes the books fascinating, but also why it takes him years to write them.

I still say its better to read first because reading gives you a broader experience. Plus the show was more willing to stray from the books in season 2, so it is still entertaining to watch despite having read the books already. Just a matter of personal perference I guess.

Precisely. That rich detail and incredibly honed interconnection is what makes these books so great. Without those, ASOIAF is just another story.

Also, the emotional impact of the events is way, way stronger when reading the books because the character development is just magnitudes beyond what you get on the show.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-10-2013 02:33 PM

This is going to be the best season of any on TV

NewChief 03-12-2013 05:35 AM

Possibly Q but posting anyway:

http://bites.today.com/_news/2013/03...complex-flavor
Quote:

By Jim Galligan, TODAY contributor

Daylights savings time may have just sprung us ahead, but winter is coming.

Well, at least it is on the upcoming season of HBO’s medieval fantasy “Game of Thrones,” and with it comes Iron Throne blonde ale, the first in a series of beers crafted in a partnership between HBO and Brewery Ommegang. The brew made its debut at a launch event at SXSW Friday.

“Iron Throne was named as a nod to the blonde Lannister family currently occupying the throne,” Allison Capozza, who manages publicity for the Cooperstown, N.Y., brewery told TODAY.com.

This 6.5 percent alcohol-by-volume Belgian blonde ale is a brewed with grains of paradise and lemon peel. It pours a hazy amber with a fluffy white head, and its nose is a grassy bouquet of fruity Belgian esters and zesty lemon.
Advertise | AdChoices

A sip reveals a brew that’s as complex as the wrangling for the Iron Throne itself, with peppery hop bitterness, an earthy Belgian funk and bright citrus from the lemon all battling for your attention, while a sweet thread of honeyed caramel keeps it all from spiraling into anarchy.

Like the show it honors, this first beer in the collaboration is intricate and nuanced, but made to be enjoyed by the masses.

“We wanted to start with something that was accessible and very drinkable for viewers of the show that may not be familiar with our beers,” Capozza said.

It’s hard to imagine another brewery being such a natural fit for creating a series of “Game of Thrones”-inspired beers. Ommegang brews its beers in the age-old Belgian tradition – every sip is like a little journey back to a time when life was hard, beer was flavorful and white walkers may or may not have been lurking in the woods. The brewery itself could be a set piece for the show – it looks like a Belgian estate from a bygone era that was dropped into the rolling hills of Upstate New York.

Apparently the powers that be over at HBO felt the same way.

“HBO approached us last year,” Capozza said. “The show's producers are fans of Ommegang and thought we'd be a good fit for this collaboration.”

A total of four “Game of Thrones” beers are slated to be released, the next coming in the fall of this year, and the others to follow after that.

The collaboration was announced in mid-December and immediately buzzed through social media and the craft beer world.

The brew should be available in the 43 states where Ommegang beers are sold by the end of March (sorry Idaho, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming).

Stores that carry Ommegang can be found by using this handy beer locator, and you can stay up to date with “Game of Thrones” beer distribution and events by visiting Ommegang’s Facebook page.

No word yet as to what the other beers in the series might be named, but we’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments below. Anyone up for a Westeros Wee Heavy in Tyrion Lannister’s honor?

buddha 03-12-2013 09:19 AM

I have been reading the books following the TV season. I have to say that this combination is working great for me. There are no spoilers, and I get the great details that George puts in the novels.

Nothing on TV compares to GoT...it's not even close.

HolyHandgernade 03-12-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9481940)
I've said it in the other thread and may have said it in this one, but if I had it to do over again I would NOT have read the books. This show is so well done, the only thing that sucks is knowing what's going to happen.

Plus, IMO the books are overlong and overwrought. By it's very nature, the HBO series can't be like that, so I'm sure they'll trim away vast amounts of Martin's extraneous crap. Which suits me just fine.

Now I'm just stuck knowing everything that's going to happen for the next three seasons, waiting for that rotten old fart to finish book 6. :banghead:

I agree. I read the appropriate book just behind the appropriate season. Just finishing up the 2nd book leading right into the next TV season. Its like GoT all year long!

underEJ 03-12-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9487702)
Stuff about GoT beer.

Yum! Will need to get some of that. Planning my season opening dinner feast now. I did get to two of the GoT food truck nights before season one started. Really amazing food, and lemon cakes every night.

Beef Supreme 03-14-2013 09:22 AM

Has season 3 started yet? I cancelled HBO after last season because GOT is the ONLY reason I paid for HBO. Need to get it again once the new season starts.

allen_kcCard 03-14-2013 09:46 AM

The 31st of this month is first episode of season 3.

Fire Me Boy! 03-14-2013 10:29 AM

The Iron Throne blonde ale is available in a couple stores nearby... gonna have to pick up a couple bottles for premiere night.

Tribal Warfare 03-18-2013 06:12 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R4XSeW4B5Rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buck 03-20-2013 08:54 PM

Rewatching from the beginning in preperation. Only on episode 2. I think I'm not gonna be caught up by premier night.

Red Brooklyn 03-22-2013 08:28 AM

I'm doing the same, Buck.

But I started earlier. I'm on S2, E5.

mdchiefsfan 03-22-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9510375)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R4XSeW4B5Rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:whackit:

L.A. Chieffan 03-22-2013 11:12 AM

The Tyrion "scar" is nothing compared to what is described in the book

Fire Me Boy! 03-22-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9520900)
Spoiler!

This is the spoiler-free thread... put that shit in spoiler tags.

mdchiefsfan 03-30-2013 03:22 AM

Just finished reading the second book yesterday. I blew through the first 2 books in about 20 days. I am starting the 3rd book, but at least this one I can read at my leisure. I don't know what I want to do first, honestly: read or watch.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-30-2013 07:45 AM

Tough call on that one. Watching the first 2 seasons was still badass even though I had read the books, but I could see wanting to watch the show first then read the book for the details.

mdchiefsfan 03-31-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9540901)
Tough call on that one. Watching the first 2 seasons was still badass even though I had read the books, but I could see wanting to watch the show first then read the book for the details.

I decided to read. I couldn't wait to get going with the new stuff, even if it is tonight.

DaveNull 03-31-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9510375)

Daft Punk is doing the score this season?

KcMizzou 03-31-2013 06:37 PM

I feel like a grown man shouldn't be this excited about the return of a TV show... but here I am.

Buck 03-31-2013 06:43 PM

Just finished Season 1 rewatch. Gonna try to get season 2 in by tomorrow afternoon. Ugh.

Frazod 03-31-2013 06:43 PM

Goddammit I wish I didn't know what was coming. :deevee:

I so envy the people who didn't read the books.

Hawk 03-31-2013 08:17 PM

They will still surprise the book readers as they deviate more and more from the books out of necessity.

To me, it is much harder to read the books already knowing what is coming than it is to watch the show while knowing what is coming. Probably because watching takes so much less time and effort than reading.

petegz28 03-31-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 9544535)
They will still surprise the book readers as they deviate more and more from the books out of necessity.

To me, it is much harder to read the books already knowing what is coming than it is to watch the show while knowing what is coming. Probably because watching takes so much less time and effort than reading.

Agreed. I kept telling my Wife tonight, "that didn't happen that way in the books"

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 03:13 AM

Wow. I can't believe there is no discussion of that episode on here. That shit rocked. It was pretty neat seeing them tie up the end of book 2 in that episode. After watching TWD then that episode all I can say is, that is how you write a god damn episode.

KC_Connection 04-01-2013 04:27 AM

Good to have what might very well be the best show on television back. No Arya, Theon, Bran or Jaime Lannister yet, but they've begun some intriguing story lines with the others so far and also wrapped up Season 2 (Davos is alive but still not trusted by Stannis, Jon Snow accepted by Mance Rayder, Tywin still abhors Tyrion as much as ever despite all the work he did...that scene was pretty intense and probably the best from this week's episode BTW).

First time we've seen Barristan Selmy since the middle of Season 1 when Joffrey/Cersei got rid of him, I believe. I seem to recall him being a man of honor much like Ned. That kind of attitude hasn't seemed to have ended well for characters so far...

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9545248)
Good to have what might very well be the best show on television back. No Arya, Theon, Bran or Jaime Lannister yet, but they've begun some intriguing story lines with the others so far and also wrapped up Season 2 (Davos is alive but still not trusted by Stannis, Jon Snow accepted by Mance Rayder, Tywin still abhors Tyrion as much as ever despite all the work he did...that scene was pretty intense and probably the best from this week's episode BTW).

First time we've seen Barristan Selmy since the middle of Season 1 when Joffrey/Cersei got rid of him, I believe. I seem to recall him being a man of honor much like Ned. That kind of attitude hasn't seemed to have ended well for characters so far...

Stannis seems more like a puppet to the Red Lady than when we last saw him. I am wondering if there was something done when she had him look into the flames to "see his victory."

Barristan Selmy had me fist pumping. As you mentioned, he is a man of honor, but he was also tossed out like a leper. He wants some revenge, hence siding with Daenerys. Her story line is one that I am really looking forward to this season.

Hawk 04-01-2013 06:48 AM

The scene with Tyrion and Tywin was the best scene in the episode IMO. Tywin is such a pompous ass! Tyrion deserves better.

Fishpicker 04-01-2013 08:03 AM

The giant in Mance's camp looked amazing. Drogon pulled off some sick dives. The Unsullied looked bad ass. I'm glad GoT has avoided the pitfall that gets most fantasy shows and movies, they're usually overwrought.

Margaery is already positioning herself as the people's favorite. Joffrey and Cersei are too self-involved to realize what she is doing. that was a great episode.

Frazod 04-01-2013 08:19 AM

In the books, Selmy's true identity wasn't revealed immediately when he came into Daenerys' service - I guess they decided not to bother with that aspect.

I recognize that there will be more and more deviations from the books as the series progresses, mainly out of necessity. And I'm fine with that.

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9545437)
In the books, Selmy's true identity wasn't revealed immediately when he came into Daenerys' service - I guess they decided not to bother with that aspect.

I recognize that there will be more and more deviations from the books as the series progresses, mainly out of necessity. And I'm fine with that.

Yea, I don't mind slight deviation here and there. So far the only deviation that I am bothered by is the House of the Undying scene in the show. I think I may know why they chose to not show it, but that is a major spoiler. Well it hasn't been written yet, but many think it is headed a certain way so I will leave it be.

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 9545408)
The giant in Mance's camp looked amazing. Drogon pulled off some sick dives. The Unsullied looked bad ass. I'm glad GoT has avoided the pitfall that gets most fantasy shows and movies, they're usually overwrought.

Margaery is already positioning herself as the people's favorite. Joffrey and Cersei are too self-involved to realize what she is doing. that was a great episode.

I was pretty pumped about the giant, to be honest. When they first reference a giant existing it's by Osha in the first season in the Godswood, but they do a good job of playing it down as wildling tales.

Dragons hadn't come to be yet and watching the show you haven't seen anything other than wights and a shadow of a white walker. At that point I was uncertain if the show was going to take a fantasy turn or not.

Seeing that everything being discussed is real and in the show is pretty cool.

Swanman 04-01-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9545437)

At least 48 minutes of each episode won't be minutely detailed descriptions of every dish served at every feast, so that is a bonus.

Red Brooklyn 04-01-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 9545408)

Seems to me that Cersei has a pretty damn good idea what Margaery is doing.

No one can deliver a loaded line like Lena Heady.

The Franchise 04-01-2013 09:29 AM

Started reading the 1st book last night.

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9545536)
Started reading the 1st book last night.

The first one was a little tough for me. It is pretty dead on with the show. There are slight variations in there, but the one good thing about the book is you get a deeper understanding of the characters and such. The second book was a much quicker read for me.

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9545478)
At least 48 minutes of each episode won't be minutely detailed descriptions of every dish served at every feast, so that is a bonus.

I seriously have started just skimming those parts when reading. That and the descriptions of armor, down to the clasps that their cloaks are connect to. Jesus.

buddha 04-01-2013 09:37 AM

What a great S3 premier episode! Plenty of storylines moved along in just the right ways. This season is going to be the best.

Really stoked about the new dynamic that Margerie brings to King's Landing. She is far shrewder than any of the normal sized humans there (the Imp stands alone in this category). The Lannisters have their hands full with her.

The Franchise 04-01-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9545550)
The first one was a little tough for me. It is pretty dead on with the show. There are slight variations in there, but the one good thing about the book is you get a deeper understanding of the characters and such. The second book was a much quicker read for me.

It's kind of nice because instead of going in blind.....I have something visual to go back to while reading through each chapter. Plus I can now pick out the stuff they left out of the show.

PhillyChiefFan 04-01-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9545554)
I seriously have started just skimming those parts when reading. That and the descriptions of armor, down to the clasps that their cloaks are connect to. Jesus.

Ha, yea that's what I did too. Figured there's no way I'll remember what color the guy's tunic is so I'll just skim it.

Martin goes into rediculous detail. Though I have noticed the scenes in the show play out very similarly to how I picture it while reading.

Beef Supreme 04-01-2013 11:54 AM

A little disappointed that the battle of the Fist between the Night's Watch and the wights happened off screen at the beginning of the episode. I understand they have serious budget constraints, but they are going to have to show a big battle scene eventually and that one could have kicked ass.

Glad the show is back though.

Hawk 04-01-2013 01:13 PM

Would have been good to see at least some part of the battle with the wights and others there, but they did do the big battle at the end of last season, so I'm okay if they keep their cgi budget for the dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. We may even get some mammoth sightings!

GRRM can get pretty detailed. Of course he is also quite subtle and if you go to the fan websites (Tower of the hand, or Westeros.org) after you read the books, you will be astonished at the details you skimmed over and the things you missed, and how they play a role in the books. I don't think anyone could catch everything on a first reading (I certainly didn't), so the websites really help on that front.

Gravedigger 04-01-2013 01:32 PM

I find it hilarious that their budget, after the first two amazingly successful seasons, is still constrained. It's ridiculous, this show is one of the best on television. HBO needs to buck up and take the ride, because they only have 2 more seasons worth of material if GRRM doesn't get his shit together and get his books done you're going to be left with no show material for awhile.

bowener 04-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9546242)
I find it hilarious that their budget, after the first two amazingly successful seasons, is still constrained. It's ridiculous, this show is one of the best on television. HBO needs to buck up and take the ride, because they only have 2 more seasons worth of material if GRRM doesn't get his shit together and get his books done you're going to be left with no show material for awhile.

They still have to make a profit.

And it could be argued that the show has been phenomenal on the constrained budget for 2 seasons, why can't it remain phenomenal?

Hawk 04-01-2013 02:53 PM

Well they clearly spent well on the CGI for the giant in the wildling camp and for the dragons in this episode. I thought they both looked great. They should be able to do a lot more of that (and will need to as the story progresses), so they really can't use up too much on a battle scene in the first episode. At this point there's a lot of CGI going into it with dragons, giants, Others, direwolves, battles, locations, flaming swords, zombies, etc. As the magical elements increase, the budget does as well, so they have to be a little judicious in how they spend it.

keg in kc 04-01-2013 03:39 PM

So I went to watch...

...and my DVR didn't record.

Damn you DVR. :banghead:

Thankfully HBO will replay it 3000 times this week, including tonight.

Valiant 04-01-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 9546180)
Would have been good to see at least some part of the battle with the wights and others there, but they did do the big battle at the end of last season, so I'm okay if they keep their cgi budget for the dragons, giants, direwolves, etc. We may even get some mammoth sightings!

GRRM can get pretty detailed. Of course he is also quite subtle and if you go to the fan websites (Tower of the hand, or Westeros.org) after you read the books, you will be astonished at the details you skimmed over and the things you missed, and how they play a role in the books. I don't think anyone could catch everything on a first reading (I certainly didn't), so the websites really help on that front.

**** that. This show is making them 100s of millions with all the merch included. As walking dead they should be spending the money.

And I thought tywin and tyrion was boss. And the red lady saying she burnt his son.

Pepe Silvia 04-01-2013 04:55 PM

I appreciate the spoiler free thread, I still have 3 episodes of season 2 left to catch up on. I didn't see last nights premiere.

Valiant 04-01-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9546736)
So I went to watch...

...and my DVR didn't record.

Damn you DVR. :banghead:

Thankfully HBO will replay it 3000 times this week, including tonight.

TimeWarner??

My shit recorded, said it recorded the new episode, then it was the finale of season 2.. luckily recorded it again.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-01-2013 05:28 PM

At least we can count on this show not to disappoint.

keg in kc 04-01-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9547123)
TimeWarner??

My shit recorded, said it recorded the new episode, then it was the finale of season 2.. luckily recorded it again.

Yeah.

Different issue with me. I had a conflict with 3 things recording at the same time. Cancelled something else to record GoT. Checked yesterday afternoon to make sure. Still didn't record.

mdchiefsfan 04-01-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9545619)
Ha, yea that's what I did too. Figured there's no way I'll remember what color the guy's tunic is so I'll just skim it.

Martin goes into rediculous detail. Though I have noticed the scenes in the show play out very similarly to how I picture it while reading.

I do appreciate his attention to detail though, it translates very well into the show.

KC_Connection 04-01-2013 11:46 PM

Watched the episode again and I'm pretty sure Daenerys understands what the slave master is saying about her by the way she subtly reacts to his statements (and the girl's rephrasing). Someone who read the books would know, but does she know that language?