ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

saphojunkie 10-02-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 8971516)
I heard Barkley was pretty good, plus, he's a starter for USC...

Doesn't have the arm.

Geno Smith is by far the #1 prospect right now.

Rasputin 10-02-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 8971516)
I heard Barkley was pretty good, plus, he's a starter for USC...

I think Barkley stock is going drop betime the draft rolls around. His arrow will be pointing down. Geno Smith arrow pointing up.

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 06:51 PM

Let's not get this thing twisted: Barkley is a very good prospect. Right now, though, it appears that Smith is going to be off the ****ing chart.

Three7s 10-02-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8971570)
Let's not get this thing twisted: Barkley is a very good prospect. Right now, though, it appears that Smith is going to be off the ****ing chart.

1-15 baby! Our only challenge of the year will be finding a way to lose to the Browns and Raiders.

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8971583)
1-15 baby! Our only challenge of the year will be finding a way to lose to the Browns and Raiders.

I don't think that Cleveland is moving off of Weeden in one year, and OAK is just too ****ing stupid to worry about in earnest. JAX, however, might be a concern should Gabbert not show progress. That said, he's been better to start year two, as one would expect.

Basically, the Chiefs are likely going to be in great position, or they could be in great position via an aggressive trade. The key is to fire Pioli in plenty of time, or for the coward to try so hard to cover his own ass that he crawls into doing the right thing for the wrong reasons (saving his job and fraudulent reputation).

chiefzilla1501 10-02-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8971601)
I don't think that Cleveland is moving off of Weeden in one year, and OAK is just too ****ing stupid to worry about in earnest. JAX, however, might be a concern should Gabbert not show progress. That said, he's been better to start year two, as one would expect.

Basically, the Chiefs are likely going to be in great position, or they could be in great position via an aggressive trade. The key is to fire Pioli in plenty of time, or for the coward to try so hard to cover his own ass that he crawls into doing the right thing for the wrong reasons (saving his job and fraudulent reputation).

If the Browns pick #1, I can guarantee they're going after a QB. They have a new owner who might get rid of Holmgren. If they don't get rid of Holmgren, Holmgren is a QB guy.

But the thing about the Browns is, they're good enough to pull off a few wins.

SAUTO 10-02-2012 07:06 PM

, or for the coward to try so hard to cover his own ass that he crawls into doing the right thing for the wrong reasons (saving his job and fraudulent reputation).[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm betting happens. Only way to buy him more time, IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8971611)
If the Browns pick #1, I can guarantee they're going after a QB. They have a new owner who might get rid of Holmgren. If they don't get rid of Holmgren, Holmgren is a QB guy.

But the thing about the Browns is, they're good enough to pull off a few wins.

No way. While it's not risky at all, relatively speaking, to draft a QB today, round-one picks get a longer shelf-life.

Weeden gets year two without question.

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8971626)
This is what I'm betting happens. Only way to buy him more time, IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Ironically, I believe that Herm would have done the same thing in '09.

Brock 10-02-2012 07:08 PM

I don't think the Browns would pass up Smith either. Let's hope Weeden really starts to tear it up, not to mention the Browns winning a lot of games they shouldn't

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 07:09 PM

Smith is intriguing as all hell, but he's not talked about in the same way as Luck. Thus, passing on the former would not be something that is considered insane.

Shag 10-02-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8971583)

Not going to happen. This team will find a way to win more meaningless games, and **** us out of drafting Smith...

Dayze 10-02-2012 07:24 PM

Yup.

Saccopoo 10-02-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8970796)
Would any of you really be in favor of giving up the draft picks it took for Washington to get RGIII for Geno Smith?

All day long.

**** yes.

You betcha.

I'd be happy to give up more. I think Geno is better than Griffin at the same stage.

Sell four drafts. I don't ****ing care. Get Geno Smith. Whatever it takes. We've got young talent at virtually every position. **** those ****ing draft picks. Let's get the franchise QB that this ****ing worthless ****ass team ****ing deserves. The ****ing fans need Geno ****ing Smith.

Saccopoo 10-02-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8970843)
I don't for one minute question your desire to go for a FQB. I'm surprised to see so many jumping on the Smith wagon so early on.

Early on?

It ain't early bub.

Geno Smith has established himself as what would be if Jim Morrison, Jim Thorpe, Thomas Jefferson and Conan the Barbarian would all meld into a singular uber-entity.

Geno Smith has been kicking ass since his sophomore season. Just because the media loves to lick the scrotal area of Southern California alabaster statues doesn't mean that Geno Smith is a flash in the pan. The guy is a ****ing rock star.

Saccopoo 10-02-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8971258)
Would you guys deal with another year of Cassel if Geno Smith were sitting behind him? Because that is ALSO a possibility.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ws8aa8am1qhg2zj.gif

DeezNutz 10-02-2012 08:37 PM

Sac ****ing bringing 97 with movement. LMAO.

And where the **** is Hamas. This is insane.

Bewbies 10-02-2012 08:38 PM

I'm proud of Sac, he has seen the QB light. KEEP THIS SHIT UP YOU ****ING STUD!!

the Talking Can 10-02-2012 10:09 PM

sac is all grown up

RealSNR 10-02-2012 10:19 PM

Here's a really fun game for us to play, guys.

I got a PM from someone who wants to join the list. He/she wished to listed as "Anonymous"

Go.

Saccopoo 10-02-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8971919)
I'm proud of Sac, he has seen the QB light. KEEP THIS SHIT UP YOU ****ING STUD!!

It's not that I've seen the QB light, it's that I've seen the QB. The right QB in the right place at the right time. It's ****ing destiny. DESTINY!!!! Do you hear me?!!! DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geno Smith is a legit stud. Big time.

IMO, he's as good as I've seen at this level. All the tools, the attitude, the smarts, the leadership, the drive, everything. He exudes confidence. He nails the 50 yard + bombs with uncanny accuracy. He is a pocket presence prodigy.

Does that mean that he's a guaranteed Hall of Famer? No, but given the right circumstances, he's got a chance to be very good at the next level at minimum.

Add to that that the Chiefs appear to be flogging themselves into a quickening death spiral that will finally allow them to get a chance at someone like Smith. And, remarkably, the screws are getting put to the thumbs of the Pioli despotic, meglomaniacal rule. He's a fraud and it's now official in the eyes of the press as well as the fans. He duped the ownership with himself, his hand picked QB and his never ending parade of coaching tree lackeys who have never accomplished anything outside of their association with Tom Brady.

The implosion we currently are witnessing is the perfect storm of events that is going to finally lead the team and it's fans to something that we haven't seen in the past 29 years - a first round quarterback, and it has the chance to be one who appears to be, in all facets, a true franchise level guy.

I don't want Geno Smith to be the Chiefs pick because he's a first round quarterback. I want Geno Smith to be the Chiefs pick because he's THE quarterback.

O.city 10-03-2012 09:59 AM

Geno Smith: football nerd

Originally Published: October 3, 2012
By Ivan Maisel | ESPN.com

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Geno Smith is a naturally gifted artist who turned down admission to a fine arts magnet school in his native south Florida in order to focus on football. The West Virginia senior is an English major, taking one class in Shakespeare and another in American literature, even as he has become the most productive college quarterback in the nation.

The artist-athlete is a hybrid rare enough to be celebrated, a reassurance that a violent sport has a place for the right side of the brain. It is a neat hook for a story, and it has next to nothing to do with why Smith has become the early-season frontrunner in the Heisman Trophy race.

To understand why Smith has turned Milan Puskar Stadium into his own version of "NCAA Football '13," stroll to the other side of Smith's skull. It is the combination of intellect and backbone, not artist and athlete, that has fueled Smith this season.

[+] Enlarge
Rob Christy/US PresswireWest Virginia QB Geno Smith is always studying the field.

And what a trip he has taken. In four games, Smith has completed 141 of 169 passes for 1,728 yards and 20 touchdowns. He has not thrown an interception this season (in fact, the No. 8 Mountaineers (4-0) haven't turned the ball over in their last three games).

His passing efficiency rating of 208.37 would obliterate the FBS record of 191.78 set last season by Russell Wilson of Wisconsin. Smith has played so well that his next 14 passes could fall incomplete and he would still be ahead of Wilson's record. Given that he has thrown only 28 incompletions in four games, those passes aren't likely to hit the ground.

Against Baylor last Saturday, Smith completed 45 of 51 passes for 656 yards and eight touchdowns in West Virginia's 70-63 victory. After the game, he said he would celebrate by returning to the football building to watch video of No. 11 Texas, the defense he will face Saturday night.

Which is all you really need to know.

First of all, Smith is a football nerd. He did exactly what he wanted to do Saturday night. There's nothing he likes to do more than come into the football building and watch video, except maybe to download game or practice video onto his iPad to take home and watch.

Head coach Dana Holgorsen referenced the 2.0 GPA that the NCAA sets as a minimum for a player to be eligible.

"If he had to have a 3.6 in order to play football, he'd probably have a 3.6," Holgorsen said in his trademark rasp. If a voice can have five o'clock shadow, Holgorsen's has it.

"He's a very intelligent kid," Holgorsen said of Smith. "His goal in life, his focus in life, is to learn as much about football as he possibly can. He loves to read. He loves to draw. He's got some hobbies. But I guarantee you, when he's reading and drawing, he's still thinking about football."

There was the checkdown Smith called in the fourth quarter against Maryland that resulted in a 34-yard scoring pass to Tavon Austin to seal a 31-21 victory. There was the eight-yard pass to Austin that Smith suggested to Holgorsen during a timeout on the final, clock-eating drive against Baylor.

"We didn't want to run any out of the pocket play-action stuff, where we get him out of the pocket, because he was a little nicked up," Holgorsen said, "so we didn't have any of that in the game plan. But he knew it was going to work. ... He came to me and said, 'Run this.' And we did, and it worked."

Smith has come a long way from the confusion and adjustment to Holgorsen's offense last season. There's a reason that West Virginia has won eight consecutive games.

"Most people don't understand that the quarterback is really like supposed to be an offensive coordinator out there on the field," Smith said Sunday morning. "I feel like I don't see it as myself against those defensive players, because they don't come up with their game plan. I see it as myself against the defensive coordinator. So I'll get plays and I'll get looks, and I'll figure out what they're doing, which formations, which personnel, and I'll figure out ways to counter it, so the next time I got that look, I would know exactly what to do."

Smith's confidence in his mental acuity knows few bounds. His confidence in his physical ability is not the same. In fact, it is why he pushes himself to study.

I'm not one of those guys who strike you as an imposing player. I honestly don't think I'm that great of a player. ... But I understand the game and I'm far ahead of my peers when it comes to that.
” -- West Virginia QB Geno Smith

"If you look at me," he said, "I'm not one of those guys who strike you as an imposing player (West Virginia lists him at 6-foot-3, 214). I honestly don't think I'm that great of a player. There's pretty much a lot of guys out there more talented than I am. But I understand the game and I'm far ahead of my peers when it comes to that. I know defense like a defensive coordinator. I know offense like an offensive coordinator. It puts me levels ahead of those guys, and 90 percent of the game is mental, which allows me to ... end up with these crazy numbers at the end of the game, because I'm always making the right decision."

Smith has parlayed his work ethic and self-discipline into national attention. Only when it comes to the Heisman Trophy, Smith's belief in himself loses its voice. After the Baylor game, he repeated what he has said all season. He is "not interested" in the Heisman.

His refusal to engage in the Heisman discussion, it turns out, is more of a defense mechanism.

"Isn't that impressive?" Smith asked, a smile dawning upon his face. "I don't know how I should feel about it [the Heisman], actually, to be honest with you. I do know that it is the top award for individuals in the country, meaning you're the best player. But ultimately, it's not something that I'm striving for. It's just that I play so hard because I'm trying to win games."

Whatever the motivation, Smith's ability to stiff-arm the accolades and maintain his focus is as rare as it is powerful.

"There are a lot of guys," Holgorsen said, "who will sit and get on the Internet and read article after article about themselves, or turn on the TV and record their interviews. He's a guy that just doesn't do that. He would rather read a book or put a [video] on his iPad and go home and study. ... He'd rather do that than go check out what the club's like tonight or what these specific girls are doing in the library."

There's a reason for that, the head coach said about his quarterback.

"He's the most competitive guy I've been around," Holgorsen said.

Molitoth 10-03-2012 10:50 AM

The above article is fabulous. *drool* for Geno.

bevischief 10-03-2012 11:05 AM

That article makes me want him here on this team even more.

vailpass 10-03-2012 11:27 AM

Easy on the overhype.....

Priest31kc 10-03-2012 11:41 AM

I would trade all of our 2013 draft picks in order to move up to get Geno. We're not going to be picking #1 and I think the talent we have will win us enough games to not pick in the Top 5...So we'll need to trade up to get him like Washington did to get RG3. This team has talent everywhere...Re-sign Bowe & grab a few solid free agent acquisitions & draft Geno & roll with it.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-03-2012 12:17 PM

LMAO Why did DarthCarl get banned again?

RealSNR 10-03-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8973205)
Easy on the overhype.....

The thread title says "Geno Smith fans roll call"

Not "Douchebag haterz roll call"

milkman 10-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8971876)
All day long.

**** yes.

You betcha.

I'd be happy to give up more. I think Geno is better than Griffin at the same stage.

Sell four drafts. I don't ****ing care. Get Geno Smith. Whatever it takes. We've got young talent at virtually every position. **** those ****ing draft picks. Let's get the franchise QB that this ****ing worthless ****ass team ****ing deserves. The ****ing fans need Geno ****ing Smith.

I agree wholehaertedly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8972165)
Here's a really fun game for us to play, guys.

I got a PM from someone who wants to join the list. He/she wished to listed as "Anonymous"

Go.

LAChiefFan

vailpass 10-03-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8973431)
The thread title says "Geno Smith fans roll call"

Not "Douchebag haterz roll call"

LMAO Defensive already? She doesn't even know your name and you act like you're married.

RealSNR 10-03-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8973543)
LMAO Defensive already? She doesn't even know your name and you act like you're married.

Do you not see my signature?

GTFO.

vailpass 10-03-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8973546)
Do you not see my signature?

GTFO.

Nice. I stand corrected.

Wait. Why are you holding that 40 pound box? Why are you opening it? Please God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Straight, No Chaser 10-04-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 8924404)
I need to watch him play some more. I saw him 1 year and 2 years ago. His numbers look great, but need to watch to see if those are all bubble-screen, high percentage throws in space (along with some bombs) or if he's making solid throws into tight coverage.

Quickly, here's two stats for Geno: 20 touchdowns, 0 INTs.

The only problem we have is winning more games than the Saints, Browns, Titans, Panthers and Bucs. Jets BTW, looking like they will tank as well.

MIAdragon 10-04-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 8976814)

The only problem we have is winning more games than the Saints, Browns, Titans, Panthers and Bucs. Jets BTW, looking like they will tank as well.

I'm not sure we need be concerned with anyone but the Browns on your list. Oakland is another concern IMO.

Straight, No Chaser 10-04-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 8976877)
I'm not sure we need be concerned with anyone but the Browns on your list. Oakland is another concern IMO.

Ahhhhhhh, yes they did look like sheet last week at the new Pile High. We still have Cassel starting tho.

alnorth 10-04-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 8976814)

How many of those teams need a QB? I can live with having to pay a king's ransom in draft picks, but if they just fold their arms and say "we're not trading out at any price, he's ours", that would suck.

WV 10-04-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8976992)
How many of those teams need a QB? I can live with having to pay a king's ransom in draft picks, but if they just fold their arms and say "we're not trading out at any price, he's ours", that would suck.

I think we line up pretty well for drafting Geno. Even the bad teams we're competing against have QB's already.

saphojunkie 10-04-2012 03:35 PM

I'm 100% in.

RealSNR 10-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8977221)
I'm 100% in.

Oh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8924656)
I'm intrigued, but truthfully it IS a lot of bubble screens and high-percentage passes. He has a touch of happy feet sometimes against the rush and backpedals when he should be stepping up.

When his feet are planted, he has a great arm and delivery. I have no idea how to evaluate his decision making. That offense is such a college system that it will take legit scouting to determine if he can translate to the pro game.

WHICH ONE IS IT, MAN?

There is no room for hesitation or doubt on this list. I can only edit this thing so many times.

If you want Geno Smith on this team, you gotta REEEEEAAALLY want him

Priest31kc 10-04-2012 04:19 PM

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Geno Smith has more touchdowns (9) than incompletions (8) on passes thrown 15+ yards downfield this season.

Bewbies 10-04-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 8977289)
Geno Smith has more touchdowns (9) than incompletions (8) on passes thrown 15+ yards downfield this season.

There is literally no way Scott Pioli looks at Smith and sees an NFL QB.

ForeverChiefs58 10-04-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 8977289)

:drool::whackit:

Mi_chief_fan 10-04-2012 06:55 PM

Was listening to Rome today on my way home, he was interviewing Mack Brown about UT-WVU this weekend. Rome asked Brown if he thought Smith was as good as RGIII, and Brown said yes without hesitation, and offered a pretty thorough explanation as to why, but I don't have a link.

MIAdragon 10-04-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8976992)

Oakland.

Simplicity 10-04-2012 06:59 PM

Still wasn't added to the list. I am disappointed SNR.

Sorter 10-04-2012 08:51 PM

LMAOLMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8977338)
There is literally no way Scott Pioli looks at Smith and sees an NFL QB.

Unsmooth-Moment 10-04-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8977553)
Still wasn't added to the list. I am disappointed SNR.

Me too. I just wanted to show my support for Geno!

Saccopoo 10-04-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8977260)
Oh?

WHICH ONE IS IT, MAN?

There is no room for hesitation or doubt on this list. I can only edit this thing so many times.

If you want Geno Smith on this team, you gotta REEEEEAAALLY want him

Burn third world countries for Geno.

Start tire fires for Geno.

Save pandas for Geno.

Hug your grandma for Geno.

All for Geno.

RealSNR 10-04-2012 11:50 PM

You know who else hasn't been added to the list?

Every single ****ing Chiefs fan who will be watching Geno decked out in red and gold hoisting a Lombardi trophy.

I can't add them all to the list.

Some of you fellas are going to wish you had been quicker on the draw. When the window closes, it's gone.

I'll do one more comb-through later, but then I'm ****ing done.

I'll call 900+ posts through only four games pretty damn good. This thread could crack 20,000 by the time Chiefs draft day rolls around.

keg in kc 10-04-2012 11:53 PM

I'm not on the list. Only been pimping the guy for a year or two I guess. :harumph:

RealSNR 10-04-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8978298)
I'm not on the list. Only been pimping the guy for a year or two I guess. :harumph:

You also disappear for months at a time to go play Minecraft or whatever gay shit it is you do during the offseason. If you stuck around, you could be doing cool stuff that real men do. Real men watch KurtCobain get banned multiple times.

If you can provide evidence of Geno support from that long ago, you'll absolutely be added when I feel like it.

RealSNR 10-05-2012 12:04 AM

I just bumped Sac down a few notches for his appalling behavior in the Barkley thread. He is now below lcarus, who sadly hasn't matched my expectations when I figured he'd beat out a bag of dildos on the depth chart.

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8977124)
I think we line up pretty well for drafting Geno. Even the bad teams we're competing against have QB's already.

the browns are our nemesis. they shit the bed this year and that new owner will draft geno.
we need to pray pioli gets the **** out of kc already and we get fresh blood who do what it takes to get geno if he keeps looking like hes gonna turn into a nfl baller. barkley is always right there so is wilson. Were looking good we just need Egoli GONE!!!

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8978310)
I just bumped Sac down a few notches for his appalling behavior in the Barkley thread. He is now below lcarus, who sadly hasn't matched my expectations when I figured he'd beat out a bag of dildos on the depth chart.

Bump yourself down you filthy one who sucks the penis.

You said "Geno or..."

You need to redeem yourself.

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8978299)
You also disappear for months at a time to go play Minecraft or whatever gay shit it is you do during the offseason. If you stuck around, you could be doing cool stuff that real men do. Real men watch KurtCobain get banned multiple times.

If you can provide evidence of Geno support from that long ago, you'll absolutely be added when I feel like it.

Precisely the reason why I am not on the list and won't campaign to be.

I think Geno is without a doubt the best QB available in the draft. However, I was slow in coming around to it. I am not going to be like others and weasel my way on. However, I will acknowledge his success, his talent, and my desire to have him as a QB over the others that will be available.

It is through my own judgement that I am not on this list and I can accept that.

If I were a GM though and were 6 months late, this would be disastrous

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:09 AM

Fifth?!!

Are you kidding me?!!!

**** **** ****ity ****!!!!

Quote:

Twenty years ago, Dana Holgorsen was an underwhelming wide receiver at an undersized school (Iowa Wesleyan), playing for a man with an oversized imagination.

That man was Hal Mumme, the unlikely progenitor of an offensive style that has outgrown its inventor and become the most powerful weapon in college football. The offense is the Air Raid, built on the BYU notion that throwing the ball all over the yard can equalize a talent deficit. Like most revolutionaries, Mumme started small: He nurtured his project amid the tumbleweeds of Texas on the high-school level, then got his break in college coaching at Iowa Wesleyan in the late 1980s. That's where Holgorsen came under his wing.

An unabashed contrarian and certified know-it-all, Mumme would ultimately ride his offensive scheme to the Southeastern Conference, where he made perennial punching bag Kentucky respectable. Then it would all crash down amid an NCAA scandal that helped return him to the small-school level from which he came. But his colorful colony of True Believers would continue to spread the word and the style, tweaking it along the way, with the scoreboard rewarding their faith in a counter-culture approach.

Mike Leach was a True Believer, implementing the offense as a coordinator at Oklahoma and then as head coach at Texas Tech. So were Sonny Dykes and Tony Franklin, on the staff at Kentucky and now the head coach and offensive coordinator at high-octane, undefeated Louisiana Tech. So was Chris Hatcher, whose FCS Murray State team put 70 on the board last weekend against Tennessee Tech.

Hatcher played for Mumme at Valdosta State. His position coach there was Holgorsen, whose West Virginia team scored 70 last weekend as well – a considerably more noticeable 70 – against Baylor.

"If I'd known they were going to score 70," Hatcher said, "I probably would have tacked one more on at the end to beat him."

[Related: Watch recruiting footage of West Virginia's Geno Smith]

Right now, all the True Believers are watching Holgorsen coach what may be the apotheosis of the Air Raid at West Virginia. The separating factor is the guy doing the throwing.

In a lineage that includes an NFL No. 1 pick (Tim Couch), a Heisman Trophy winner (Jason White), the all-time passing yardage leader (Case Keenum) and a current NFL starter (Brandon Weeden), Geno Smith might be the best Air Raid quarterback yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After every West Virginia practice, Geno Smith drops off an iPad for the Mountaineers video staff to download video. He gets all the cut-ups of the offense and takes them home to study.

"He's already watched it three or four times before I've even met with him," said quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital. "He's been that way since day one when we got here."

The Air Raid offense does not work from an inches-thick playbook. But it requires a quarterback who can think on his own, and quickly – probably the biggest difference between what Holgorsen and others are doing today from what Mumme was doing in the 1990s is tempo. Huddles are for stallers in today's Air Raid.

West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen learned the Air Raid offense at Iowa Wesleyan. (Getty Images)So a quarterback like Smith, who has a perfectionist streak and a penchant for preparedness, suits the system well. Especially if he also has abundant physical gifts.

"He loves the game of football," Holgorsen said. "I've never been around a guy who has just developed his entire game like him. His confidence is at an all-time high. Physically he's better, he's bigger, he's faster, he's stronger. Escapability in the pocket is unbelievable, arm strength, accuracy.

"He's a student of the game. Very cerebral."

On a teleconference this week, Smith said, "I can make every throw. That's not a cocky statement or anything like that, that's just how I am." What he really wanted to brag about was the work he's put in from the neck up.

"I'm all about the mental aspect of the game," he said. "That's what puts me ahead, I think."

Smith is so far ahead of his quarterback competition that it's a one-man Heisman Trophy discussion right now. His current passer rating is 208.4, far exceeding the NCAA record of 191.7 Russell Wilson set last season. The quarterback Smith will compete with Saturday, Texas' David Ash, is a distant second nationally at 184.

[Related: Upset alert: West Virginia gets no respect]

Smith has thrown 20 touchdowns and 28 incompletions. The next interception he throws will be his first since Dec. 1, 2011, a streak of 222 straight passes. His season completion percentage (83.4) is well ahead of Colt McCoy's record of 76.7.

Going back to West Virginia's Orange Bowl detonation of Clemson – the game that really primed the pump for both Smith and the Mountaineers for this season – the production has been preposterous. West Virginia has scored 10 touchdowns in three of its last five games.

Nobody in the Air Raid family tree can compete with that. Watching Holgorsen's work from afar, Hatcher is impressed by what he sees from Smith.

"It looks like he's executing at a really high level right now," Hatcher said. "When you have command of the offense, it allows you to be so much more decisive about the throws. He knows what Dana wants him to do.

"As coaches we always say, 'If we don't show up Saturday, we expect you to run the same offense without us.' "

Smith seems capable of that. Spavital said there have been games in the last year-plus where Smith has checked off at the line of scrimmage 80 percent of the time. As long as they're the right checks, that's fine with the coaches.

Smith (No. 12) credits his success this season to his preparation studying the game. (AP)"We put a lot of things on our quarterback," Spavital said. "We operate in the gray area – there is no black and white. We have a game plan, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and he's got to figure out what will work."

This could be the ultimate figure-it-out week for Smith and the Mountaineers. They play Texas, and defensive coordinator Manny Diaz might lead the nation in unpredictability. He's a chaos guy, throwing all manner of fronts, stunts, blitzes and coverages at a quarterback to see how they react.

For that reason, Spavital said Smith has been especially eager to lock horns with the Longhorns.

"He loves playing teams that have an exotic defense," Spavital said. "When there's a lot of moving parts, he enjoys the challenge. The teams that do pretty base stuff, he gets pretty bored with."

[Rivals: Geno Smith's growing maturation]

There should be very little boring about the rest of Big 12 play for Smith. As far ahead as he is currently in the Heisman standings, nothing is won in September. Not with the crazy schemes of Texas, the pass rush of TCU, the athleticism of Oklahoma and the No. 1 pass defense in the nation of Texas Tech ahead on the schedule.

If Smith is going to win the Heisman, he will have to earn it.

"We still have a long season to go," Smith said. "I'm not going to get caught up in to the hype because in all actuality, it really doesn't mean much. I could go out and do poorly in my next game and I'm pretty sure the third line will be, 'Geno fails.' "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Geno Smith watches film of other quarterbacks, he studies Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. There are schematic similarities between the offenses those NFL greats run and what West Virginia does, which shows how far the Air Raid has been integrated into the football mainstream.

Rodgers' backup in Green Bay is an Air Raid alum, former Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell. Holgorsen was an assistant at Tech during the early part of Harrell's career, then moved to Houston to coach Keenum in 2008-09, then on to Oklahoma State in 2010, where he tutored Weeden.

Spavital entered the True Believers colony with Holgorsen at Houston as a graduate assistant and followed him to Oklahoma State in the same capacity. When Holgorsen got the head-coaching job at West Virginia, Spavital got his first full-time assistant gig.

A key part of his job now: playing good cop with the quarterbacks to Holgorsen's bad cop.

"Dana will rip Geno's ass," Spavital said. "I'm not going to sit there and rip his ass, too."

The fact that it happens at all is another evolution from the original Air Raid. One of Mumme's flaws is that he always saw his quarterbacks as flawless. Whatever went wrong on the field was someone else's fault.

Geno Smith needs no protection from the truth – but then again, the truth is pretty positive these days. In this extraordinary season as the ultimate evolution of the Air Raid quarterback, it's all touchdowns and victories so far.

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:16 AM

Too late to read the WOT. Cliffs sacc? I don't understand "fifth"?

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978325)

genos running a "air raid offensive"..really on the go whatever the defense gives you take. "I can make all the throws." "Not getting caught up in the hype" He studies the bresus and rodgers style of play to get his own game better. And hes a student of the game. Takes an ipad home with all the defenses to watch and study every week.

Basically Geno is the ****ing truth and we need to ricky williams the '13 draft if needed to get his guy with our first pick

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978325)

I am now the Fifth Element.

http://elizabethcarroll.files.wordpr...ultipass11.jpg

Geno is the Multipass.

Excuse me.

The 65 yard multipass.

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:28 AM

I never got the "fifth" part either..musta missed it

keg in kc 10-05-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8978299)
You also disappear for months at a time to go play Minecraft or whatever gay shit it is you do during the offseason. If you stuck around, you could be doing cool stuff that real men do. Real men watch KurtCobain.

Wow, and you say I do gay shit.

NTTAWWT...

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978334)
genos running a "air raid offensive"..really on the go whatever the defense gives you

I am familiar with the Air Raid system and have an solid understanding of it's philosophies, or so I like to believe.

Your definition is ignorant IMO.

You're free to prove me wrong but my experiences with the Air Raid are not remotely close to what you said.

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8978335)
I am now the Fifth Element.

http://elizabethcarroll.files.wordpr...ultipass11.jpg

Geno is the Multipass.

Excuse me.

The 65 yard multipass.

Sacc.

Absolutely

Love

It.

Nobody watches the 5th Element these days.
Totally just rose to the occasion and destroyed it IMO. Congrats sir.

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978336)
I never got the "fifth" part either..musta missed it

He bumped me to fifth on the list when I was previously seconded.

Not that it matters though...

Only Geno matters.

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978340)
I am familiar with the Air Raid system and have an solid understanding of it's philosophies, or so I like to believe.

Your definition is ignorant IMO.

You're free to prove me wrong but my experiences with the Air Raid are not remotely close to what you said.

I dunno ya **** im just answering your question about the sum of that article. It says Geno fits the air raid system well....

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978342)
Sacc.

Absolutely

Love

It.

Nobody watches the 5th Element these days.
Totally just rose to the occasion and destroyed it IMO. Congrats sir.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2087/b7mhbo.gif

RealSNR 10-05-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8978338)
Wow, and you say I do gay shit.

NTTAWWT...

Actually, I really like Minecraft. It's pretty fun.

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978345)
I dunno ya **** im just answering your question about the sum of that article. It says Geno fits the air raid system well....

That is because his HC worked at TT and grew up essentially in an Air Raid system.

TBF, what you posted isn't what the Air Raid system is about.

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8978346)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...h3ojo1_500.png

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978345)

You honestly could just Wiki it. If you struggle with that though...

RealSNR 10-05-2012 12:44 AM

LMAO

My demotion of Saccopoo reminds me of that ST: Voyager episode where Seven is put in charge of a command unit in engineering. To make things more efficient, she assigns everyone borg designations.

Seven of Nine: Six of Ten, this is not your assignment.
Harry Kim: Please, stop calling me that.
Seven of Nine: You're compromising our productivity... I'm reassigning you to chamber maintenance. Your new designation is Two of Ten.

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978350)
That is because his HC worked at TT and grew up essentially in an Air Raid system.

TBF, what you posted isn't what the Air Raid system is about.

What it's about is that Holgorsen is insane offensively and has found his maestro in Geno Smith.

The Air Raid is a quick set, multi-read offensive system that has receivers running off multiple routes (three per) depending upon the defensive alignment.

The key is having a QB that can quickly diagnose the runs off the snap and go through the progressions quickly to find the best, most immediate target.

With Geno Smith running it, he's capable of not just hitting the dump off, but finding guys downfield (go watch last week's WVU/Baylor game and see the guy hitting his recievers in stride 35 yards+ downfield). Smith is insanely fast in working through his progressions and finding the most potent threat.

Right now, he's on pace to shatter the completion % mark and it's not the system. He's not throwing 40 yarders against air. The guy is a freaking prodigy.

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8978352)
You honestly could just Wiki it. If you struggle with that though...

I feel like i've seen Geno in shotgun with 4 wide a lot so far this season. I just was telling you what I got from reading the article.
BTW Geno does fit that offense well...hes an athlete that can sling it all over the field. Go back to lapa and drink some more caiprinhas.

RealSNR 10-05-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8978354)
What it's about is that Holgorsen is insane offensively and has found his maestro in Geno Smith.

The Air Raid is a quick set, multi-read offensive system that has receivers running off multiple routes (three per) depending upon the defensive alignment.

The key is having a QB that can quickly diagnose the runs off the snap and go through the progressions quickly to find the best, most immediate target.

With Geno Smith running it, he's capable of not just hitting the dump off, but finding guys downfield (go watch last week's WVU/Baylor game and see the guy hitting his recievers in stride 35 yards+ downfield). Smith is insanely fast in working through his progressions and finding the most potent threat.

Right now, he's on pace to shatter the completion % mark and it's not the system. He's not throwing 40 yarders against air. The guy is a freaking prodigy.

Erection

Chief_For_Life58 10-05-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8978354)
The guy is a freaking prodigy.

GET HIM TO KC!!!! HE NEEDS TO BE SLINGIN' TD'S TO BOWE N BALDWIN IN THAT KETCHUP AND MUSTARD NEXT YEAR

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8978353)
LMAO

My demotion of Saccopoo reminds me of that ST: Voyager episode where Seven is put in charge of a command unit in engineering. To make things more efficient, she assigns everyone borg designations.

Seven of Nine: Six of Ten, this is not your assignment.
Harry Kim: Please, stop calling me that.
Seven of Nine: You're compromising our productivity... I'm reassigning you to chamber maintenance. Your new designation is Two of Ten.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/042009/123995...a_jovovich.gif

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978355)
I feel like i've seen Geno in shotgun with 4 wide a lot so far this season. I just was telling you what I got from reading the article.
BTW Geno does fit that offense well...hes an athlete that can sling it all over the field. Go back to lapa and drink some more caiprinhas.

huauauauhahahaha caraa, vc vai beber comigo?!!!!!! espero q siiiim passeiro.

se vc esteja no columbia, me da um PM. gostaria de beber/falar contigo

Saccopoo 10-05-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8978358)
GET HIM TO KC!!!! HE NEEDS TO BE SLINGIN' TD'S TO BOWE N BALDWIN IN THAT KETCHUP AND MUSTARD NEXT YEAR

Seriously.

Imagine a guy who can hit dudes running 45 yard post patterns and those guys are Baldwin and Bowe.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpsl9eIrtw1qgig3a.jpg

Sorter 10-05-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8978365)
Seriously.

Imagine a guy who can hit dudes running 45 yard post patterns and those guys are Baldwin and Bowe.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpsl9eIrtw1qgig3a.jpg

I want to believe

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zMByGP24po...600/leeloo.jpg

chiefs1111 10-05-2012 01:14 AM

Im all for the beheading of Cassel and the wonderful era that is Geno Smith