ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes And Other Starters To Sit Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351658)

ThaVirus 01-06-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17320508)
There is no way gonzo, gates or sharp are in the conversation at this point. Great players but they are in second tier at this point.

The 1000 yard streak definitely matters. Still a shot to get it next year and that puts him up in Jerry rice territory (and shockingly … Mike evans). When you’ve got a TE in a highly exclusive group of WR career accomplishments that is a very different level of achievement.

I think Gonzo still leads the pack due to longevity.

The only other TE in history who played as many games as him was Witten, who was a great TE in his own right. Despite playing as many games, Witten had 4 fewer All-Pros, 100 fewer catches, 2,000 less yards, and 40 fewer TDs. (Did I get the distinction between less and fewer right there?)

ThaVirus 01-06-2024 12:18 PM

Tony has 4,000 yards and 40 TDs on Kelce and 6,000 yards and 20 TDs on Gronk.

You’re underrating his career.

Bearcat 01-06-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17320240)
Won't be watching this game.

Finally taking my advice, hooray. :toast:

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2024 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17320531)

Not underrating his career. A great player. I think I'm properly rating Kelces by saying he's a class above when talking best of the best. Gonzo the more dynamic athlete. But kelce the overall better receiver.

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2024 01:37 PM

Patriots did something interesting by voiding Lawrence guys tackle incentive and just giving it to him anyway.

Is that something we consider for Chris jones? I know, I know... **** that guy for holding out. But it may be a way for the chiefs to give positive vibes while giving jones a chance to rest

wazu 01-06-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17320632)
Patriots did something interesting by voiding Lawrence guys tackle incentive and just giving it to him anyway.

Is that something we consider for Chris jones? I know, I know... **** that guy for holding out. But it may be a way for the chiefs to give positive vibes while giving jones a chance to rest

It's absolutely the thing to do. Would be just stupid for him to play tomorrow. Nobody wants that.

wazu 01-06-2024 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 17320531)

I'll never forget that one playoff win he had as a Falcon in the wild card round.

Red Dawg 01-06-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17320629)
Not underrating his career. A great player. I think I'm properly rating Kelces by saying he's a class above when talking best of the best. Gonzo the more dynamic athlete. But kelce the overall better receiver.

Kelce 2 rings and great stats. Gonzo the best stats and no rings. Kelce has passed him.

Rausch 01-06-2024 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17320653)
It's absolutely the thing to do. Would be just stupid for him to play tomorrow. Nobody wants that.

Yup.

Perhaps the team wants to save a penny but an injury to a player in a meaningless game that permanently changes their career throws away an entire contract instead of a small bonus.

Spend a nickel to save a dollar.

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17320653)

Yup, and while I'd rather keep the $ we also aren't Sean Payton and a happy Chris jones is good for playoff business

Easy 6 01-06-2024 02:18 PM

Kelce is battling a neck injury, it seems pretty dumb to play him IMO

But yeah if he just HAS to get 1000, do it like Bowser said on one play then get his ass outta there

stevegroganfan 01-06-2024 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17320632)

For all of their frugality and sometimes tough negotiating with veterans, the Patriots were more than fair with incentives. Sometimes players got them for coming close enough even if they played in all of the games. And in situation in which the coaches rested players, pretty much any makable incentive was either 100% paid out or something close to that.

With Jones I'd just pay him his incentive or at least 90% of it and don't play him a single snap. I'd bet that is what the Chiefs do. It isn't in Jones or the Chiefs interests to have him play this game and get hurt trying to get 10 sacks for the year. The HOF won't care so just pay him his money and be done with it.

It sends a good message to the other players as well.

Gary Cooper 01-06-2024 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17320654)
I'll never forget that one playoff win he had as a Falcon in the wild card round.

How many playoff wins would Gonzalez have with Mahomes?

If not for Mahomes, Kelce has a similar career in Kansas City as Gonzalez did. Great numbers but little playoff success playing with the Alex Smith/Trent Green/Damon Huard type retreads.

wazu 01-06-2024 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17320755)

If not for Mahomes, Kelce has a similar career in Kansas City as Gonzalez did. Great numbers but little playoff success playing with the Alex Smith/Trent Green/Damon Huard type retreads.

Obviously Mahomes helps, but Gonzo had really bad numbers in playoff games compared to what he did in the regular season.

For Comparison:

Tony Gonzales Playoff Game Averages:

Catches: 3.2
Yards: 31.4
TDs: .4

Travis Kelce Playoff Game Averages:

Catches: 7.4
Yards: 86
TDs: .9

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2024 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cooper (Post 17320755)

But no guarantee Gonzalez has the career kelce did considering how much of it was due to Kelces off the charts football iq and leadership. Maybe that makes Gonzo a better weapon with a qb who loves to lob up jumpballs. But id easily take kelce if you've got a good qb.