ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2014 Missouri Tigers Football Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280230)

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-07-2014 08:56 PM

Ealy is a top 20 pick. Sam, Josey, and Gaines all go in the late third or higher. Washington is probably a 3rd-4th rounder who could blossom into a real star on the outside and could skyrocket after the combine/Sr. Bowl. Britt is a RG/RT in the pros who might be a quality backup. Lucas should get drafted in the 5th or 6th, too. Wilson might stick as a ST'er in the pros.

There are 7-8 pros leaving Missouri.

Saul Good 01-07-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10354233)
Ealy is a top 20 pick. Sam, Josey, and Gaines all go in the late third or higher. Washington is probably a 3rd-4th rounder who could blossom into a real star on the outside and could skyrocket after the combine/Sr. Bowl. Britt is a RG/RT in the pros who might be a quality backup. Lucas should get drafted in the 5th or 6th, too. Wilson might stick as a ST'er in the pros.

There are 7-8 pros leaving Missouri.

I can't imagine Josey going that high, and I doubt Washington gets drafted at all. I would be stunned if Lucas did.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-07-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10354240)
I can't imagine Josey going that high, and I doubt Washington gets drafted at all. I would be stunned if Lucas did.

Scott Wright has LDW ranked #20 among WR and Lucas #43.

Usually 30 WRs are drafted, and both will help themselves in the post season.

If Washington refines his route running and adds 15 pounds he has the potential to be a game-breaking NFL receiver, because he has the size and speed you can't teach.

Josey is just too fast and too skilled to drop too much if the knee checks out.

Saul Good 01-07-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10354253)
Scott Wright has LDW ranked #20 among WR and Lucas #43.

Usually 30 WRs are drafted, and both will help themselves in the post season.

If Washington refines his route running and adds 15 pounds he has the potential to be a game-breaking NFL receiver, because he has the size and speed you can't teach.

Josey is just too fast and too skilled to drop too much if the knee checks out.

Washington's problem is that he's a body catcher, and that's tough to change. Hope I'm wrong. He's one of my favorite Tigers ever.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-07-2014 09:34 PM

Character wise, you couldn't find three better people than Josey, Ealy, and Washington. They've overcome so much adversity and are great kids.

Pitt Gorilla 01-08-2014 03:40 PM

From PowerMizzou:

Starting with 2003, his (Pinkel) first bowl season, Mizzou is the 15th winningest BCS AQ school (93-49)

From 2006-13, Mizzou moves up to 12th (73-33)

Since 2007, Mizzou is 8th in the country at 65-28 (Oregon, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, VTech, USC and Oklahoma State have won more).

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-08-2014 04:04 PM

Expectations need to be tempered for the next few years. The lean classes of '12, '13, and '14 are really going to bite us in the ass.

duncan_idaho 01-08-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10355854)
Expectations need to be tempered for the next few years. The lean classes of '12, '13, and '14 are really going to bite us in the ass.

8-9 wins is a pretty reasonable expectation next season, I think, based on the returning talent levels.

The 2012 class was ranked 31 by Rivals and has turned out better than expected, already:

DGB
Boehm
Hansbrough
Harold Brantley
Mauk
John Gibson
Golden

All have already made pretty significant contributions as rs. freshmen and sophomores.

Guys like Copelin, Culkin will play bigger roles next year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see one of Jordan Williams, Donavin Newsom, or Evan Winston be an contributor next year.

The 2013 class still looks promising to me. I think there's a good shot we see a star T (Rhodes), star DT (Augusta), star WR (J'Mon Moore), star CB (Penton), star DE (either Harris or Loud), and several solid players out of it. WOuldn't surprise me if Biesel ends up being a star at LB.

(Note: "Star" = above-average starter)

I think the biggest problem is that the 2011 class hasn't contributed a whole lot. It was a small class that already lost its best player (Sheldon Richardson). Ray was a star as a pass-rush sub. Brothers is a solid LB, and it's likely they get pretty nice contributions from Chappell, McNulty and McGovern on the OL and Simon in the secondary.

But that class being thin really hurts the program in 2014 (rs. jr/sr) and 2015 (rs. sr) years.

I think the 14 class is going to end up being pretty valuable. I would feel better about it had they secured Brian Wallace, but I think it's going to be a strong group.

bowener 01-08-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Any hope for some good JuCo transfers coming?

duncan_idaho 01-08-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10355893)
Any hope for some good JuCo transfers coming?

They've only been seriously linked to one, Kenya Dennis, a DB from Mississippi who has already enrolled and will be here this month.

He'll go through spring ball and should have a chance to play right away at either CB or S. He's a bigger guy - 6-0/190 - than they typically have played at CB.

There are some guys who might contribute early:

OL Andy Bauer (could see him crack the two-deep if he is healthy)
WR Nate Brown (big, physical guy with good hands)
CB Logan Cheedle (fits the mold of Penton and Gaines and could play as a true freshman)
CB Ronnie Wingo (see Cheedle)
S Greg Taylor (big-time athlete, big-hitter, good speed)
LB Brandon Lee (good size, good contribute on ST and in reserve role)
WR Lawrence Lee (quick slot guy)
It also wouldn't shock me if one of the RBs, Ish Witter or Trevon Walters, plays right as the 3rd back.

Pitt Gorilla 01-08-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10355905)
They've only been seriously linked to one, Kenya Dennis, a DB from Mississippi who has already enrolled and will be here this month.

He'll go through spring ball and should have a chance to play right away at either CB or S. He's a bigger guy - 6-0/190 - than they typically have played at CB.

There are some guys who might contribute early:

OL Andy Bauer (could see him crack the two-deep if he is healthy)
WR Nate Brown (big, physical guy with good hands)
CB Logan Cheedle (fits the mold of Penton and Gaines and could play as a true freshman)
CB Ronnie Wingo (see Cheedle)
S Greg Taylor (big-time athlete, big-hitter, good speed)
LB Brandon Lee (good size, good contribute on ST and in reserve role)
WR Lawrence Lee (quick slot guy)
It also wouldn't shock me if one of the RBs, Ish Witter or Trevon Walters, plays right as the 3rd back.

You don't think steward would play ahead of the frosh?

duncan_idaho 01-08-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10355927)
You don't think steward would play ahead of the frosh?

He PROBABLY will (I liked what we saw out of him in limited action this year). Especially since he's adept at running between the tackles, and they might lack that without Josey.

But Witter and Walters fit the scheme so well, it wouldn't surprise me to see either grab the spot.

Pepe Silvia 01-08-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Any hope the staff can coach them up?

GloryDayz 01-08-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10355807)
From PowerMizzou:

Starting with 2003, his (Pinkel) first bowl season, Mizzou is the 15th winningest BCS AQ school (93-49)

From 2006-13, Mizzou moves up to 12th (73-33)

Since 2007, Mizzou is 8th in the country at 65-28 (Oregon, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, VTech, USC and Oklahoma State have won more).

How many of those wins are in the national championship games? It's a rhetorical question so don't answer it, but I'm kind of tired of some good stat deflecting that, other than Sporting KC, we can't brag about being the best at anything. Hell, even our "loudest stadium" bragging rights were ripped away!

Not ranting at you, just ranting...

Pitt Gorilla 01-08-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10355961)
How many of those wins are in the national championship games? It's a rhetorical question so don't answer it, but I'm kind of tired of some good stat deflecting that, other than Sporting KC, we can't brag about being the best at anything. Hell, even our "loudest stadium" bragging rights were ripped away!

Not ranting at you, just ranting...

Free column written just for you.

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1595253