ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do we have any OTR drivers here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267935)

BigMeatballDave 08-02-2013 10:03 AM

Passed through Chicago this morning.

No one there knows what a turn signal is.

Rasputin 08-02-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9682701)
Congrats man! Always nerve racking going after anything new. I know if you find the right company and get hours, you can make some really good money in that business.

Best of luck.

Well so far I haven't had any luck at all. All the companies around here want experienced drivers of at least a year. My permit expired because I couldn't find anyone to help me get trained on the job for a CDL.

Then just this week a job opening is available, driving cement mixer, but I got to go get my permit and take them stupid test again. I hate the ****ing DMV it is hell on earth.

BigMeatballDave 08-06-2013 02:27 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...guardrail.html

Buehler445 08-06-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9852948)
Well so far I haven't had any luck at all. All the companies around here want experienced drivers of at least a year. My permit expired because I couldn't find anyone to help me get trained on the job for a CDL.

Then just this week a job opening is available, driving cement mixer, but I got to go get my permit and take them stupid test again. I hate the ****ing DMV it is hell on earth.

Concrete company here will pay for your CDL. Out here truck drivers are ****ing gold.

Jerm 05-24-2015 09:57 PM

Soooo wanted to bump this to ask a ???...anyone ever done team driving? Good to look into or no?

My brother in law is trying to talk me into it...I've thought about getting into driving and I heard the $ is better in team driving but there's a lot of cons too.

Brock 05-24-2015 10:02 PM

What's the upside?

Reerun_KC 05-24-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9862988)
Concrete company here will pay for your CDL. Out here truck drivers are ****ing gold.

I remember your dad asking if I have ever driven an 18 wheeler. I was like uh no. He said here's the keys it has a brand new transmission in it. Don't strip the gears and take that load of corn to the elevator.

Ah the memories.

Dayze 05-24-2015 10:11 PM

I drive.

Did some team status during training......I did not enjoy it personally. Truck runs essentially 24/7. I suppose it wouldn't be bad if it were done with a relative or spouse etc. not a lot of room in the truck for two folks 24/7 . Plus sleeping while the other drives sucks ass. Terrible sleep bouncing around all night long etc.

The money is better obviously as you have two log books to run, then split the money etc. but really not "more" money to make it worth it. IMO.

Jerm 05-24-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11517817)
I drive.

Did some team status during training......I did not enjoy it personally. Truck runs essentially 24/7. I suppose it wouldn't be bad if it were done with a relative or spouse etc. not a lot of room in the truck for two folks 24/7 . Plus sleeping while the other drives sucks ass. Terrible sleep bouncing around all night long etc.

The money is better obviously as you have two log books to run, then split the money etc. but really not "more" money to make it worth it. IMO.

Right, kinda what I was thinking....gotta be honest too, the thought of driving a huge truck is seriously intimidating to me too. Always been curious about it though...

Buehler445 05-24-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 11517833)
Right, kinda what I was thinking....gotta be honest too, the thought of driving a huge truck is seriously intimidating to me too. Always been curious about it though...

It isn't bad. As long as you respect it at all times. If my dumbass can do it you are golden.

Buehler445 05-24-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 11517812)
I remember your dad asking if I have ever driven an 18 wheeler. I was like uh no. He said here's the keys it has a brand new transmission in it. Don't strip the gears and take that load of corn to the elevator.

Ah the memories.

It's a miracle anyone was left alive in the county.

Bowser 05-24-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 11517833)

Once you're comfortable behind the wheel it's no different than driving your car. Seriously. The thing that changes is that you become hyper aware of all the dumb****s driving around you.

R8RFAN 05-25-2015 12:48 AM

I am not sleeping in a truck when it's sitting still and damn sure not with someone I barely know driving.

Easy 6 05-25-2015 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11517801)
What's the upside?

A person with no college degree, or even HS diploma, can earn 50-60-70k a year as a day driver or 100+k a year OTR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11517817)
I drive.

How are you liking your experience so far, where all have you been?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11517868)
The thing that changes is that you become hyper aware of all the dumb****s driving around you.

Sooo, sooo true

BigMeatballDave 05-25-2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8RFAN (Post 11517902)
I am not sleeping in a truck when it's sitting still and damn sure not with someone I barely know driving.

Yeah, training sucks when you gotta sleep in a tractor with someone you hardly know. That didn't last very long, though. My training with Trans Am lasted only 9 days. I was with the Werner trainer for 9 days, as well before I had to ditch that cockbag. That was right before Trans Am.

I'm done with commercial driving for the foreseeable future.