ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel leaked (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252986)

007 06-01-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 8652386)
Ya there are some tense parts, one that I was literally squirming in my seat. They are serious about keeping this under wraps, I had to turn in my cell phone, everyone got metal detector wanded anytime you entered the theatre, and had probably 4 people at any time standing at the corners of the theatre.

The 3D was done very well, imo, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone.That said, I can see where others may have different expectations based on the aliens franchise, but I liked it a lot, and this is def. not a retread of the the Aliens movies- like I said this movie really could stand alone, and I'm interested to see if they explore this other plot line that is what the main goal of the mission and quite interesting within itself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Turn in your cell phone? Metal detectors? WTF?

Anyong Bluth 06-02-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8653600)
Turn in your cell phone? Metal detectors? WTF?

Exclusive Advance screening- didn't want people taking photos or tweeting what not.

1st time I've ever had to do it, but I guess its becoming more common - like Jay-Z kicked someone out of the advance listening party for tweeting during it when everyone was asked to shut them off. I think since phones these days do so much they are trying to limit leaks like that photo above.

Oh and that pic is just before a big event does happen - but not that shot specifically.

JD10367 06-02-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 8653676)
Exclusive Advance screening- didn't want people taking photos or tweeting what not.

Par for the course nowadays. At my theater, for advance screenings, security companies show up (outsourced by the movie studio). Usually a few people in suits, some with an apparent ex-legbreaking background (I think they recruit ex-military, police, etc.,.). They have to see the movie print (or, as it is nowadays, the hard drive) and write down the serial number, then watch us delete the film after showing it. They set up tables near the theater entrance and "tag and bag" cell phones using metal detectors.

Hammock Parties 06-02-2012 01:12 PM

Movies are all on hard drives now, really?

JD10367 06-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8652431)
Resurrection was pure crap, as well as those AvP movies.

I finally saw "Resurrection" the other day, and you could see the bits and pieces of promise the movie held (probably mainly from the writing of Joss Whedon). It wasn't an awful film, by any means. But nothing compares to the "Jaws"-like suspense of the original, or the overwhelming us-vs-them hunting of the second film (with the influence of a post-"Terminator" James Cameron directing).

tk13 06-02-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8654113)

That's why John Carter was shot on film. Andrew Stanton wanted to shoot on film before it completely disappears.

JD10367 06-02-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8654113)

They're digital. How did you think they arrive, the Film Fairy? They come in either a plastic orange box (Technicolor) or a gray cardboard box (Deluxe), and inside is a hard drive nestled in foam with its own AC cables and USB wire. Films range from only around 25-50 GB for cheaply-made films to 250+ GB for well-made or 3D films. Takes a few hours to download them, either directly into the projector's server with the USB cable (or, on some models, a harddrive port in the machine) or into a main chipserver which then distributes the prints from that server (in which case it's a few hours to download from drive to server then a few hours to download from server to projector).

Hammock Parties 06-02-2012 01:30 PM

That's really fascinating.

Anyong Bluth 06-02-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8654112)
Par for the course nowadays. At my theater, for advance screenings, security companies show up (outsourced by the movie studio). Usually a few people in suits, some with an apparent ex-legbreaking background (I think they recruit ex-military, police, etc.,.). They have to see the movie print (or, as it is nowadays, the hard drive) and write down the serial number, then watch us delete the film after showing it. They set up tables near the theater entrance and "tag and bag" cell phones using metal detectors.

Exactly what we had- def. Outside security and 2 people from the studio there to bag and tag phones and sign in for the movie. They were friendly and all, and it may be extreme but in this day and age its so easy to leak stuff I get it, and really- I got to see a cool flick before it came out so its not any skin off my back that they don't want to spoil it with leaks because after seeing it I think watching it without knowing what happens is the way to go for this movie.

Deberg_1990 06-02-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8654112)
then watch us delete the film after showing it.

Of course like all files, that can be recovered with the right program. :)

Deberg_1990 06-02-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8654119)
They're digital.Films range from only around 25-50 GB for cheaply-made films to 250+ GB for well-made or 3D films.

so when a theater advertise's a "digital" presentation, not all films are as good of presentation quality?

chasedude 06-02-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8654545)

Exactly, esp when he talks about transferring it to a projector and a server. With all the added security and the fear of pirating, I'm curious why they would allow it to be transferred at all.

Hammock Parties 06-02-2012 09:44 PM

So the digital file, is it like an uncompressed MPEG or MP4 or AVI or what?

JD10367 06-03-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8654545)

Whether or not we erase the films is actually pointless, since you can only play a film on a specific projector using a specific activation key they also send you, for a specific time period. (It's not like you can plug it into your computer and watch the film.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8654551)
so when a theater advertise's a "digital" presentation, not all films are as good of presentation quality?

Possibly. I think partly, as it depends on what cameras they used, what resolution, image size, etc.,. But I think some of it might also be because of things as simple as how much black is in a film (i.e. a darker film might take up less space).

JD10367 06-03-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8654554)
Exactly, esp when he talks about transferring it to a projector and a server. With all the added security and the fear of pirating, I'm curious why they would allow it to be transferred at all.

Keeping each hard drive at each projector would make more sense but, for some reason, they don't do it like that. (Plus, some projectors can't live-play a film off the drive. They can only do it if the file is on the projector's server.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8654602)
So the digital file, is it like an uncompressed MPEG or MP4 or AVI or what?

It's apparently JPEG2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema). The films are broken down into dozens of file pieces for both audio and video. Somehow the computer knows how to thread them all together and use them on a specific "cue" title (sort of, I imagine, how a computer game can have dozens of files associated but the game plays only if you click on one specific app icon). When I load, say, "Avengers", I create a file named "Avengers" (mostly for our own housekeeping purposes), then drag-and-drop everything off the harddrive into that folder, and then when I use the projector's server's program a new film pops up in the list that might say AVENGERS_FTR_VER1_S_EN-XX_51_DIS_20120413_US_3Di_OV and a whole bunch of other characters, all of which have meanings... feature (FTR) vs. trailer (TLR), version, Scope (S) vs. Flat (F), language (EN=English), sound version (Dolby 5.1 vs. Dolby 7.1), the film company (in this case, Disney), the films specific serial number (which appears to be the date it's created, 3D vs. 2D, etc.,.