ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

patteeu 04-28-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7599254)
Almost done with 'Assassins Gate' by George Packer, i think i've learned more from this one book than i have any other book or documentary about the Iraq war. Its very even handed, loaded with well researched information & he does a GREAT job of melding all of the disparate facts into something that makes sense, gives it context. Anyone seeking a deeper understanding of that war should read this book, it reads like a novel, very entertaining & enlightening. :thumb:

That *is* a good book. Another good one along those lines is Lawrence Wright's 'The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11'.

Great Expectations 04-28-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 7576068)
"The Grand Slam" by Mark Frost. Same guy that wrote "The Greatest Game Ever Played". As you might guess, this is about Bobby Jones winning the U.S. Open, U.S. Amateur, British Open & British Amateur in the same season. It also documents the rise in popularity of golf in the U.S. after Francis Ouimet won the U.S. Open in 1913 (?).

He also wrote a book called "The Match" that is very good. I enjoyed "The Grand Slam," but "The Match" is better imo.

Easy 6 04-29-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7599617)
That *is* a good book. Another good one along those lines is Lawrence Wright's 'The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11'.

Thanx for the tip, i'll see if my library has it. But yeah, Gate is incredible, you dont need a masters in poli/sci or world history to make sense of it all. Among the many things i learned, is that in many, many ways i'm a card carrying neocon & i also came out of it with a lot more respect for Paul Wolfowitz than i'd ever had before, i really believe his intentions were for the best.

frankotank 04-29-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 7562845)
That's good to know. I just reread The Stand (extended version) and was in a King mood. The Drawing of the Three is more like vintage King. I haven't liked anything he has done recently so that was kind of nice.

yeah what's wrong with King lately. I gagged my way through Under The Dome a while ago simply because I refused to not finish it. it sucked. worst SK book I've ever read. I reread The Stand about every 3 years or so. the best SK, that and Talisman. And now for something completely different......reading The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel. little over halfway thru. pretty danged interesting. picked it up in a moment of boredom and can't put it down.

Frosty 04-29-2011 02:42 PM

The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands were very good, other than you could see some of the King excesses creeping into the latter. After reading the back of Wizard and Glass, I am a little concerned that it will be a letdown but am planning on starting it soon.

frankotank 04-29-2011 02:52 PM

I found all of the Dark Tower books quite entertaining. matter of fact I may just go back and reread them all sometime.

keg in kc 04-29-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 7604742)
The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands were very good, other than you could see some of the King excesses creeping into the latter. After reading the back of Wizard and Glass, I am a little concerned that it will be a letdown but am planning on starting it soon.

It doesn't mean you'll like it, of course, but many consider Wizard and Glass the best of the series.

Frosty 04-29-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7604849)
It doesn't mean you'll like it, of course, but many consider Wizard and Glass the best of the series.

Good to know. Thanks. :thumb:

whoman69 04-29-2011 07:12 PM

Re-reading Raymond Feist Darkness at Sethanon.

luv 05-11-2011 07:36 AM

Read John Grisham's Bleachers last night in one sitting.

Bob Dole 05-11-2011 07:38 AM

Read Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the sequel last week. Does that count?

LOCOChief 05-11-2011 07:42 AM

Empire of the summer moon. It's about the Comanche Indians the most powerfull and feared of all indian nations.

NewChief 05-11-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7633496)
Read Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the sequel last week. Does that count?

I didn't know there was a sequel. I liked the first one.

blaise 05-11-2011 08:02 AM

Selected One Act Plays of Horton Foote.

Bob Dole 05-11-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7633510)
I didn't know there was a sequel. I liked the first one.

The second is worth reading if you enjoyed the first.

Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume 2: The Great Puppet Theater