ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars Story: Han Solo Movie 2018 Spoiler Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303024)

Frazod 06-21-2018 09:51 AM

I know I'm risking incurring Clay's wrath here, but seriously, why would anybody give a **** about a Boba Fett movie? He was a minor character that had maybe five minutes of screen time over three movies. I've never understood the fascination.

Sorce 06-21-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13600979)
I know I'm risking incurring Clay's wrath here, but seriously, why would anybody give a **** about a Boba Fett movie? He was a minor character that had maybe five minutes of screen time over three movies. I've never understood the fascination.

Part of Boba Fett's popularity was with the toys and marketing. To get the Boba Fett toy you had to send in the UPC codes from the other toys. This was before empire strikes back and he was supposed to have a large role in that movie. I think because of the rarity of the toy and the marketing hype people loved him before even really knowing the character.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-21-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13600979)

Because he looked cool. That is all. It is the same reason people were upset that Darth Maul bit it in Episode I. Count Dooku was the superior character but he didn't look cool like Maul so the fans whined until Maul returned.

BigCatDaddy 06-21-2018 12:41 PM

It is at least encouraging that they identified the problem rather than poo pooing it away as a some release date or oversaturation issue.

Hammock Parties 06-21-2018 01:43 PM

Boba Fett is the only dude who talked back to Darth Vader, outsmarted Han Solo and shot at Luke Skywalker and lived to tell about it. He’s an absolute badass.

And he looks and sounds cool. :)

Frazod 06-21-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13601447)
Boba Fett is the only dude who talked back to Darth Vader, outsmarted Han Solo and shot at Luke Skywalker and lived to tell about it. He’s an absolute badass.

And he looks and sounds cool. :)

Right up until he started slowly getting digested over the course of 1,000 years. :)

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-21-2018 02:16 PM

And he got taken out by a blind Han Solo.

Beef Supreme 06-21-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13601329)
It is at least encouraging that they identified the problem rather than poo pooing it away as a some release date or oversaturation issue.

Pls point out to me where they identified the problem.

BigCatDaddy 06-21-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13601497)
Pls point out to me where they identified the problem.

The part where they stopped producing spinoffs and chose to focus on episode 9 :shrug:

Beef Supreme 06-21-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13601512)
The part where they stopped producing spinoffs and chose to focus on episode 9 :shrug:

That seems like their solution, not identification of the problem.

BigCatDaddy 06-21-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13601535)
That seems like their solution, not identification of the problem.

I am not sure how you can infer anything other than then realizing epsiode 8 may have killed the franchise so they better nail 9.

Beef Supreme 06-21-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13601545)
I am not sure how you can infer anything other than then realizing epsiode 8 may have killed the franchise so they better nail 9.

That's what I infer. I'm not convinced that's what they infer.

BigCatDaddy 06-21-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13601551)
That's what I infer. I'm not convinced that's what they infer.

Gotcha.. we shall see but it appears signs are pointing that direction.

JD10367 06-21-2018 08:13 PM

I'm not sure the franchise is saveable at this point. 7 and 8 have ****ed it up beyond recognition. Carbon copy of the first film, forced SJW issues (spunky girl heroine, black guy, Asian chick, girl power, oppression, etc.,.), bad acting (another weak emo bad guy, as if Hayden C. didn't teach them that lesson), stupid plotlines (slow space chase), wasted deaths of major iconic characters (Han, Luke), sudden bizarre powers (floating Leia, astral projecting Luke)... Where do they go with this cluster****? Honestly, with Carrie Fisher dead they can't even do much with Leia, and I don't give a rat's ass what happens to Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. Honestly, the only way to rescue the franchise would be to start 9 with Luke in the shower like "Dallas" saying that 7 and 8 were a dream...

Al Bundy 06-21-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13601951)
I'm not sure the franchise is saveable at this point. 7 and 8 have ****ed it up beyond recognition. Carbon copy of the first film, forced SJW issues (spunky girl heroine, black guy, Asian chick, girl power, oppression, etc.,.), bad acting (another weak emo bad guy, as if Hayden C. didn't teach them that lesson), stupid plotlines (slow space chase), wasted deaths of major iconic characters (Han, Luke), sudden bizarre powers (floating Leia, astral projecting Luke)... Where do they go with this cluster****? Honestly, with Carrie Fisher dead they can't even do much with Leia, and I don't give a rat's ass what happens to Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. Honestly, the only way to rescue the franchise would be to start 9 with Luke in the shower like "Dallas" saying that 7 and 8 were a dream...

Biggest bullshit copout by angry white dudes.

banecat 06-21-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13601990)

Probably not. It's obvious that shit was all forced in. They're trying to please everyone in the effort to whore for more money. The true fan will always get left behind and lose interest

Al Bundy 06-21-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13602012)
Probably not. It's obvious that shit was all forced in. They're trying to please everyone in the effort to whore for more money. The true fan will always get left behind and lose interest

Ehh they always had a woman as one of the lead characters. I don't buy the SJW excuse. The movies mentioned weren't great, but they were good. I guess I just don't notice the sex/race of the hero's/bad guys of the movies.

BigCatDaddy 06-21-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13602018)
Ehh they always had a woman as one of the lead characters. I don't buy the SJW excuse. The movies mentioned weren't great, but they were good. I guess I just don't notice the sex/race of the hero's/bad guys of the movies.

I usually don't notice either unless they are completely different. That is forced shit.

Rams Fan 06-21-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13601951)

Kylo was awesome in TLJ and Daisey Ridley has been fantastic as Rey.

Finn was fine in TFA but I think his character didn't mean shit in TLJ due to the forced romance plot with Rose.

And if you're going to talk about SJW shit, then talk shit about Solo and L3. That was way more SJWey, IMO, then either TFA or TLJ.

Frazod 06-21-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13602035)

Finn was fine in TFA but I think his character didn't mean shit in TLJ due to the forced romance plot with Rose.

And if you're going to talk about SJW shit, then talk shit about Solo and L3. That was way more SJWey, IMO, then either TFA or TLJ.

Kylo sucked in everything. He's a whiny, emo bitch, just like Anakin in the prequels. Rey is.... okay. But just okay. And not good enough to overcome the crappy story.

Finn has been reduced to a live action Jar Jar. At this point, I just want him dead.

Poe was reduced to hot-headed moron.

Luke was reduced to a cranky old quitter yelling at everybody to get off his lawn.

Leia was wasted. Rose was atrocious. And don't even get me started on purple hair Laura Dern. Ugh. The First Order villains sucked. And Snoke's (Snope? - can't remember, don't care) lair looked like it was straight out of the old 60s Batman TV show.

About the only character they didn't **** up was Chewbacca. I wish he'd pull Kennedy's arms off and use them to beat Johnson to death.

At least the Harriet Tubman droid freeing the slaves advanced the plot in Solo.

I will buy Solo when it comes out on blu-ray. I will never buy Last Jedi. And I may not even see IX in the theater, which at one point would have been unimaginable.

Beef Supreme 06-21-2018 09:28 PM

I haven't bothered to watch either of the last two movies. I'll catch them on Netflix or something. Maybe.

TFA was the same exact plot as ANH. With a bigger death star and weaker characters. Holy shit talk about lazy storytelling. Rogue one was ok. I guess. Just nothing they have done in the reboot makes me want to spend money on it.

RINGLEADER 06-21-2018 11:54 PM

I’m really curious to see what JJ does to salvage Rian Johnson’s abortion of a movie and complete undoing of the arcs that RJ nuked in TLJ.

Tribal Warfare 06-21-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13602045)
Kylo sucked in everything. He's a whiny, emo bitch, just like Anakin in the prequels. Rey is.... okay. But just okay. And not good enough to overcome the crappy story.

Finn has been reduced to a live action Jar Jar. At this point, I just want him dead.

Poe was reduced to hot-headed moron.

Luke was reduced to a cranky old quitter yelling at everybody to get off his lawn.

Leia was wasted. Rose was atrocious. And don't even get me started on purple hair Laura Dern. Ugh. The First Order villains sucked. And Snoke's (Snope? - can't remember, don't care) lair looked like it was straight out of the old 60s Batman TV show.

About the only character they didn't **** up was Chewbacca. I wish he'd pull Kennedy's arms off and use them to beat Johnson to death.

At least the Harriet Tubman droid freeing the slaves advanced the plot in Solo.

My biggest gripes with TLJ are Leia should've been a very powerful Jedi like Luke. She was diminished as Mary Poppins, and, gave up on her son.

Furthermore, there are murders on death row whose mothers still love them unconditionally.

Just Passin' By 06-22-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13601990)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13602035)

Listening to people like you two is what will make sure the franchise dies.

Chiefspants 06-22-2018 03:29 PM

I care about Rey, Kylo and Poe more than anyone from the prequels. Including Obi-Wan, I was about done with him after his characterization at the end of AOTC. For that reason alone, I think Disney can stick the landing with Episode 9.

Whether JJ can do it is another question.

banecat 06-22-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13602799)
I care about Rey, Kylo and Poe more than anyone from the prequels. Including Obi-Wan, I was about done with him after his characterization at the end of AOTC. For that reason alone, I think Disney can stick the landing with Episode 9.

Whether JJ can do it is another question.

Why?

Hammock Parties 06-22-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13602816)
Why?

Because JJ isn't very original when it comes to filmmaking.

He's an executor, not an idea man.

Just Passin' By 06-22-2018 04:08 PM

Incredibles 2 caught Solo in one week.

banecat 06-22-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13602839)
Because JJ isn't very original when it comes to filmmaking.

He's an executor, not an idea man.

I was wondering why that one guy cares about shitty characters

Chiefspants 06-22-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13602863)
I was wondering why that one guy cares about shitty characters

Rey, Kylo and Poe are far superior to Mesa Jar Jar, I don’t like sand Skywalker and Died of a Broken Heart.

Hot take, I know.

banecat 06-22-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13602885)
Rey, Kylo and Poe are far superior to Mesa Jar Jar, I don’t like sand Skywalker and Died of a Broken Heart.

Hot take, I know.

Jar Jar is on the same level as the acting of both performers trying to portray Anakin in the forgotten trilogy. I agree with you there

Tribal Warfare 06-22-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13602924)
Jar Jar is on the same level as the acting of both performers trying to portray Anakin in the forgotten trilogy. I agree with you there

I believe if something is so FUBAR then erase the mistake , and start from the beginning .

Retcon the Skywalker Saga.

BigCatDaddy 06-22-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13603069)
I believe if something is so FUBAR then erase the mistake , and start from the beginning .

That would be the best route to go but it is a very long shot. Take a mulligan on 7.

banecat 06-23-2018 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13603069)

What if they muck it up again? Turn it into Spiderman, and keep on rebooting it every five years? Star Trek has been shit since JJ left. The last one was better, but not enough

Tribal Warfare 06-23-2018 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banecat (Post 13603117)
What if they muck it up again? Turn it into Spiderman, and keep on rebooting it every five years? Star Trek has been shit since JJ left. The last one was better, but not enough

If Disney finds a good caretaker for the Star Wars Franchise then it will be good( Matthew Vaughan was attached but Kathleen Kennedy ****ed it up)

Kennedy needs to be uninvolved with the project for to succeed.

Prison Bitch 06-23-2018 10:10 PM

Prob already addressed but that certain appearance late in the movie is impossible no?

He was killed when Anakin was 6. Anakin was 20ish when he had Luke. Luke was 20ish when he met Han. (Therefore Han met Luke 34 years after this guy was killed which means that Han would have to be like 54 for that to be possible - andhe loooked 39-35 in Star Wars)

banecat 06-23-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13603783)
Prob already addressed but that certain appearance late in the movie is impossible no?

He was killed when Anakin was 6. Anakin was 20ish when he had Luke. Luke was 20ish when he met Han. (Therefore Han met Luke 34 years after this guy was killed which means that Han would have to be like 54 for that to be possible - andhe loooked 39-35 in Star Wars)

The force kept him young

Hammock Parties 06-23-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13603783)

Why is Darth Maul being old impossible?

Prison Bitch 06-23-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13603797)
Why is Darth Maul being old impossible?

That wasn't the question being asked. It has nothing to do with darth maul at all, it's about Han's age.

Let's try again: Anakin age 6, Maul killed. Anakin lives another 14 years before Luke comes. Luke is 20 when he meets Han. That means Han met Luke 34 years after Maul was killed.

But Han was 20 when Maul was alive here in this movie. Since we know Gan met Luke 34 years after Maul died, that means Han was 20+34 when he meets Luke. It doesn't work

Chiefspants 06-24-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13603809)
That wasn't the question being asked. It has nothing to do with darth maul at all, it's about Han's age.

Let's try again: Anakin age 6, Maul killed. Anakin lives another 14 years before Luke comes. Luke is 20 when he meets Han. That means Han met Luke 34 years after Maul was killed.

But Han was 20 when Maul was alive here in this movie. Since we know Gan met Luke 34 years after Maul died, that means Han was 20+34 when he meets Luke. It doesn't work

Maul survived the Obi Wan fight.

Frazod 06-24-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13604118)

I'm still trying to understand how Maul survived being cut in half and falling down the shaft. I guess there were a bunch of pillows and doctors at the bottom. :D

Chiefspants 06-24-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13604128)
I'm still trying to understand how Maul survived being cut in half and falling down the shaft. I guess there were a bunch of pillows and doctors at the bottom. :D

Episode 1. One of the biggest challenges was how GL was going to find a comparable villain to Darth Vader - and for everything wrong with that movie. Elementary acting, leaps of logic, dumbass characters, Lucas, by some miracle, landed on a worthy villain for Anakin to replace in the franchise.

..And then George cuts him in half in the first movie. Maul's survival always felt like a retcon of one of the more dumbass creative decisions from Lucas (it also was a truly compelling story in Clone Wars).

keg in kc 06-24-2018 11:49 AM

It was a pretty significant plotline in the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. Both of which are as canonical as the movies, according to Lucas/Disney. So it's not hard to catch up on if you really care. Simple youtube search will bring up tons of clips. Although his appearance in Solo was basically just an Easter egg for fans familiar with those shows, similar to some stuff they showed on Yavin during Rogue One. Although it obviously may have greater relevance in future movies.

Frazod 06-24-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13604139)
It was a pretty significant plotline in the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. Both of which are as canonical as the movies, according to Lucas/Disney. So it's not hard to catch up on if you really care. Simple youtube search will bring up tons of clips. Although his appearance in Solo was basically just an Easter egg for fans familiar with those shows, similar to some stuff they showed on Yavin during Rogue One. Although it obviously may have greater relevance in future movies.

I watched and enjoyed Rebels, but not Clone Wars. I've been told that it's very well done, but I could never get past my Anakin hatred.

Prison Bitch 06-24-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13604118)

I googled an explanation for this and that's what I found. Apparently in some Star Wars geeky underworld Maul survives and gets spidetlike robot legs.

I'd say I'm a SW fans and I've seen every one in the theaters, and with little boys I'm seeing them all on DVR many times again. And I didn't have any clue about this dumb backstory - and was confused to see Maul show his ass on this one.

If SW wants to cater to the geeks then I think they run the risk of confusing casual fans and limiting the scope of their audience.

Frazod 06-24-2018 10:03 PM

Nice spot-on skewering of TLJ if you've got 20 minutes or so.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ECwhB21Pnk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FlintHillsChiefs 06-25-2018 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13604540)
Nice spot-on skewering of TLJ if you've got 20 minutes or so.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ECwhB21Pnk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

**** TLJ and **** Rian Johnson with a 12 inch dildo with spikes. He thought he was being smart, but he was just being a colossal dumbass. **** him.

BigRichard 06-25-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 13604612)
**** TLJ and **** Rian Johnson with a 12 inch dildo with spikes. He thought he was being smart, but he was just being a colossal dumbass. **** him.

I agree that he deserves all the hate. The attacks on the actor who played Rose was way over the top though. People can be assholes.

Just Passin' By 06-25-2018 02:55 PM

Go for the video. Stay for the article. I didn't bother with the comments, but that's obviously up to you.

Quote:

Grace Randolph Scoop: Kathleen Kennedy Almost Fired as Head of Lucasfilm... But...
http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=375856

BigCatDaddy 06-25-2018 03:36 PM

I agree with people not touching it. I think Johnsom pretty much caused it to be FUBAR.

CoMoChief 06-25-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13604649)
I agree that he deserves all the hate. The attacks on the actor who played Rose was way over the top though. People can be assholes.

Wrong.

She's the new Jar Jar and deserves all the criticism that's thrown her way.

These people get paid millions to play dress up make believe. They get 0 sympathy from me.

Frazod 06-25-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13605296)
Wrong.

She's the new Jar Jar and deserves all the criticism that's thrown her way.

These people get paid millions to play dress up make believe. They get 0 sympathy from me.

Finn is Jar Jar. She’s Jar Jar’s bitch.

Discuss Thrower 06-25-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13605289)
I agree with people not touching it. I think Johnsom pretty much caused it to be FUBAR.

If true, the funniest bit to me is the idea that Marvel and Pixar heads are eavesdropping on the call as if they're siblings hiding around a corner listening to their sister get scolded.

Frazod 06-25-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13605402)
If true, the funniest bit to me is the idea that Marvel and Pixar heads are eavesdropping on the call as if they're siblings hiding around a corner listening to their sister get scolded.

Perhaps they’ll learn something from it. Maybe now we won’t get a Toy Story 4 that features Andy’s queer kid making Buzz and Woody get married.

Just Passin' By 06-25-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13605434)
Perhaps they’ll learn something from it. Maybe now we won’t get a Toy Story 4 that features Andy’s queer kid making Buzz and Woody get married.

Don't count on that, especially with Feige singing the diversity song.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/kevi...-future-652-02

http://collider.com/mcu-adding-lgbtq...n-kevin-feige/

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-25-2018 08:07 PM

The cisgender label needs to die.

Bowser 06-26-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13605232)
Go for the video. Stay for the article. I didn't bother with the comments, but that's obviously up to you.

http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=375856

The end of the article -

Quote:

Doubling Down and Redoubling Down: Apparently an official employee of Lucasfilm, writing for the "official" StarWars.com website, has decided to inform people that they are not "customers" of Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm owes them nothing at all, not even polite treatment.
She seems to be echoing Kathleen Kennedy, who has previously declared that she owes nothing to the male fans of Star Wars (who, let's face it, have maintained the value of the franchise for 40+ years):

"I have a responsibility to the company that I work with. I don't feel that I have a responsibility to cater in some way. I would never just seize on saying, 'Well, this is a franchise that's appealed primarily to men for many, many years, and therefore I owe men something.'"
Well then. Feel free to get busy going and ****ing yourself, Kathleen Kennedy.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-26-2018 03:41 PM

They don't realize that without the fans, Star Wars would just be a forgotten 70s flick replaying at 3 am on some generic channel.

I am not saying that you run every decision by the fan base but at the very least, review their opinions and feedback.

But agendas must be maintained.

Tribal Warfare 06-26-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13606834)
They don't realize that without the fans, Star Wars would just be a forgotten 70s flick replaying at 3 am on some generic channel.

I am not saying that you run every decision by the fan base but at the very least, review their opinions and feedback.

It's Hollywood's hubris that know they know more than the customer/fan

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-26-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13606911)
It's Hollywood's hubris that know they know more than the customer/fan

And that attitude extends beyond movies. See their (often hypocritical) views on gun control.

Prison Bitch 06-26-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 13606834)

It's hubris to overrate your importance. S can survive just fine without 40 year old dudes like me. My kids (and their female cousins who came with Sat) don't care about the original trilogy and the franchise survives just fine.

It also thrives globally, so again: don't be sure we are that important

Tribal Warfare 06-26-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13606936)
It's hubris to overrate your importance. S can survive just fine without 40 year old dudes like me. My kids (and their female cousins who came with Sat) don't care about the original trilogy and the franchise survives just fine.

It also thrives globally, so again: don't be sure we are that important

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...empire-1116927

JD10367 06-26-2018 08:00 PM

The most important part of that article:

One point she alludes to, which she made before: She thinks that Star Wars never appealed to Kathleen Kennedy. Kathleen Kennedy didn't like the franchise, because it was, indeed, a boys' adventure franchise.

Instead of making a boys' adventure franchise she didn't get and didn't like, she made it into something she could like: a girls' empowerment fantasy.

This kind of sums up the problem with Social Justice Warriors taking over male-skewing sections of pop culture: They just don't like it. They never did like it. Some of them even feel that these parts of pop culture encourage "toxic masculinity," and therefore are evil.

And therefore must be subverted and remade into something they never were before.

So you... put multimillion dollar companies into the hands of people who don't like the product those companies sell and in fact might even hate?

Well, good luck with that, I guess.

Frazod 06-26-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13607116)
The most important part of that article:

One point she alludes to, which she made before: She thinks that Star Wars never appealed to Kathleen Kennedy. Kathleen Kennedy didn't like the franchise, because it was, indeed, a boys' adventure franchise.

Instead of making a boys' adventure franchise she didn't get and didn't like, she made it into something she could like: a girls' empowerment fantasy.

This kind of sums up the problem with Social Justice Warriors taking over male-skewing sections of pop culture: They just don't like it. They never did like it. Some of them even feel that these parts of pop culture encourage "toxic masculinity," and therefore are evil.

And therefore must be subverted and remade into something they never were before.

So you... put multimillion dollar companies into the hands of people who don't like the product those companies sell and in fact might even hate?

Well, good luck with that, I guess.

So basically, it's what would happen if you made me GM of the Broncos. :)

Icon 06-27-2018 04:26 PM

I don't know how credible this story is but:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32378...nedy-paul-bois

Hold out, "Star Wars" fans. Your protest of the SJW-plagued franchise may finally get Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy ousted from her position, because word on the street is Disney CEO Bob Iger knows she's on the verge of killing the Golden Goose and is now searching for someone to revive it.

In a special report from Grace Randolph at Beyond The Trailer, Bob Iger recently held a secret meeting with Disney top brass, including the head of Pixar and Marvel, on ways to fix the broken franchise, which began its death spiral with "The Last Jedi" and then was pronounced mostly dead with the box-office failure that is this summer's "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

It's an open and shut case: "Star Wars" fans reject the direction that Kathleen Kennedy has taken the franchise, and they should, considering that the veteran producer once infamously said she felt no responsibility to "cater" to the predominantly male fanbase that has carried the space opera through both light and darkness throughout the decades.

Not that "Star Wars" should not evolve with the times and avoid refreshing creative choices. The problem is that Kennedy destroyed the "Star Wars" legacy and put a half-baked, heartless carbon-copy in its wake. The whole franchise feels less like a creative labor of love and more like a cheap cash grab that cons the public into buying tickets based on brand recognition alone, all the while pushing messages about feminism and capitalist greed. Nobody likes it and feminists are too few and far between.

So now Disney has a dead horse on its hands and has no idea what to do with it. The simple solution — cleaning house by firing Kennedy — will not be easy. According to Grace Randolph, insiders say that if Iger just up and fires her, nobody in Hollywood has the cajones to take the reins as she would leave behind a house of loyalists who will have the daggers out for whoever fills her shoes. Here's how the secret call went down, according to Randolph:

There was a call, a secret conference call with all the top Star Wars brass in attendance, the kind of call where, apparently, security guards stand outside the different conference room doors and makes sure that no one eavesdrops. But here's the kicker. Top brass at not only Star Wars, but also Marvel and Pixar, were also in on the call, but listening only, likely at the request of Bob Iger, who wants their advice on how to fix this s--tshow. And yes, he does know it's a s--tshow. Evidence? The word that he wants Kathleen Kennedy out. He actually does, but, nobody will take her job. Several have been approached, but turned down, including J.J. Abrams, who turned it down flat and didn't even hesitate.
Why does nobody wanna run Star Wars? Well, it's probably pretty obvious for many of you, but let me spell it out for you. And that's in risk-averse Hollywood, nobody wants to run a house divided, which apparently is what Kathleen Kennedy has created. It's divided between her loyalists, which she brought in and wear those "Force is Female" t-shirts, and the loyalists to the brand itself that were there before Kathleen."
The in-fighting fits insider reports that Disney has halted the production on all "Star Wars" anthology films following the failure of "Solo" this past summer. With the release of Episode IX come 2019, "Star Wars" will have to create a whole other trilogy that entices the fans once again. Kathleen Kennedy has done everything to ensure that never happens.

Fish 06-27-2018 04:32 PM

Nobody wants Kathleen Kennedy's job? The hell are they talking about?

oaklandhater 06-27-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13608297)

Grace is pretty spot on in hollywood and she is reporting the same shit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i9r8r_-vOVU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The person who takes the job has to clean house and fire all the KK work force.

Also has to try and bring 2 fan bases who are sharing a massive split back together.

TLJ really did a number on SW.

Frazod 06-27-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon (Post 13608288)
I don't know how credible this story is but:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32378...nedy-paul-bois

Hold out, "Star Wars" fans. Your protest of the SJW-plagued franchise may finally get Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy ousted from her position, because word on the street is Disney CEO Bob Iger knows she's on the verge of killing the Golden Goose and is now searching for someone to revive it.

In a special report from Grace Randolph at Beyond The Trailer, Bob Iger recently held a secret meeting with Disney top brass, including the head of Pixar and Marvel, on ways to fix the broken franchise, which began its death spiral with "The Last Jedi" and then was pronounced mostly dead with the box-office failure that is this summer's "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

It's an open and shut case: "Star Wars" fans reject the direction that Kathleen Kennedy has taken the franchise, and they should, considering that the veteran producer once infamously said she felt no responsibility to "cater" to the predominantly male fanbase that has carried the space opera through both light and darkness throughout the decades.

Not that "Star Wars" should not evolve with the times and avoid refreshing creative choices. The problem is that Kennedy destroyed the "Star Wars" legacy and put a half-baked, heartless carbon-copy in its wake. The whole franchise feels less like a creative labor of love and more like a cheap cash grab that cons the public into buying tickets based on brand recognition alone, all the while pushing messages about feminism and capitalist greed. Nobody likes it and feminists are too few and far between.

So now Disney has a dead horse on its hands and has no idea what to do with it. The simple solution — cleaning house by firing Kennedy — will not be easy. According to Grace Randolph, insiders say that if Iger just up and fires her, nobody in Hollywood has the cajones to take the reins as she would leave behind a house of loyalists who will have the daggers out for whoever fills her shoes. Here's how the secret call went down, according to Randolph:

There was a call, a secret conference call with all the top Star Wars brass in attendance, the kind of call where, apparently, security guards stand outside the different conference room doors and makes sure that no one eavesdrops. But here's the kicker. Top brass at not only Star Wars, but also Marvel and Pixar, were also in on the call, but listening only, likely at the request of Bob Iger, who wants their advice on how to fix this s--tshow. And yes, he does know it's a s--tshow. Evidence? The word that he wants Kathleen Kennedy out. He actually does, but, nobody will take her job. Several have been approached, but turned down, including J.J. Abrams, who turned it down flat and didn't even hesitate.
Why does nobody wanna run Star Wars? Well, it's probably pretty obvious for many of you, but let me spell it out for you. And that's in risk-averse Hollywood, nobody wants to run a house divided, which apparently is what Kathleen Kennedy has created. It's divided between her loyalists, which she brought in and wear those "Force is Female" t-shirts, and the loyalists to the brand itself that were there before Kathleen."
The in-fighting fits insider reports that Disney has halted the production on all "Star Wars" anthology films following the failure of "Solo" this past summer. With the release of Episode IX come 2019, "Star Wars" will have to create a whole other trilogy that entices the fans once again. Kathleen Kennedy has done everything to ensure that never happens.

Hmm, that sounds familiar......

Beef Supreme 06-27-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13608297)

Well, nobody that already has a big name wants the job. They aren't offering it to anybody who doesn't already have a big name, and the people that do figure it's a huge risk and they don't need the money or recognition anyway.

BigCatDaddy 06-27-2018 07:54 PM

Trying to think of a bigger cluster **** in movie history. This was a license to print money. Nobody wanted some cinematic masterpiece... just ****ing Star Wars as we know Star Wars. JFC.

notorious 06-27-2018 09:27 PM

How in the **** could they **** this up?

If it wasn’t Star Wars I would be laughing my ass off. If you are Disney you clean house. **** her loyalists. Too bad Disney is the very definition of PC.

Frazod 06-27-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13608710)
How in the **** could they **** this up?

If it wasn’t Star Wars I would be laughing my ass off. If you are Disney you clean house. **** her loyalists. Too bad Disney is the very definition of PC.

Reminds me of the ending of History of Violence. :D

https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...rn2uo1_540.png

007 06-28-2018 12:04 AM

I think its too late to fix it at this point.

notorious 06-28-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13608840)

I agree to a point. There is a lot of momentum built, and it’s going the opposite way that Disney wants it to go.

It will take a top 1-2 Star Wars movie EVER to turn things around. The sad thing is that they killed off several key components that could have helped create the movie needed.

RINGLEADER 06-28-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13608638)
Trying to think of a bigger cluster **** in movie history. This was a license to print money. Nobody wanted some cinematic masterpiece... just ****ing Star Wars as we know Star Wars. JFC.

I don’t know why it is so hard for them to grasp that you can’t have different people with different visions creating a trilogy of supposed “connected” films when the guy making the second one throws out the road map and just wings it.

Rian Johnson is a terrible writer and story teller who doesn’t know these characters or this universe. He made a beautiful-looking movie but the whole effort to subvert expectations wasn’t daring — it was just stupid and inconsistent with decades of established storytelling by filmmakers far more skilled then him. TLJ is a disjointed mess and the sooner Disney realizes giving RJ the keys to the car was a bad idea the sooner they may be able to move on.

They can’t really remake the movie, but they’d go a long way to righting the ship by removing the five seconds where Luke disappears at the end so they can bring him back in Episode 9 and undo the damage RJ has caused.

007 06-28-2018 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13608852)
I don’t know why it is so hard for them to grasp that you can’t have different people with different visions creating a trilogy of supposed “connected” films when the guy making the second one throws out the road map and just wings it.

Rian Johnson is a terrible writer and story teller who doesn’t know these characters or this universe. He made a beautiful-looking movie but the whole effort to subvert expectations wasn’t daring — it was just stupid and inconsistent with decades of established storytelling by filmmakers far more skilled then him. TLJ is a disjointed mess and the sooner Disney realizes giving RJ the keys to the car was a bad idea the sooner they may be able to move on.

They can’t really remake the movie, but they’d go a long way to righting the ship by removing the five seconds where Luke disappears at the end so they can bring him back in Episode 9 and undo the damage RJ has caused.

Well, they've already destroyed the Skywalker saga one film too early. I think it would be best if they just abandoned it altogether and go with the one offs. Obi Wan has serious potential but if they keep up this SJW bullshit they will find a way to kill that too probably.

Tribal Warfare 06-28-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13608840)

The Skywalker Saga can be salvaged, but the current iteration needs to be scrapped ala X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Either a full reboot, or " Star Trek" the mother****er

Hammock Parties 06-28-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13608852)
Rian Johnson is a terrible writer and story teller

Objectively false.

Rotten tomatoes ratings of his films:

Brick - 79%
Brothers Bloom - 67%
Looper - 93%
Out of Print - 80%
The Last Jedi - 91%

Average: 82

He's not Steven Spielberg but his films have all been well reviewed consistently, which certainly doesn't point to "terrible writer and story teller."

TLJ wasn't everyone's cup of tea but Rian Johnson is an accomplished filmmaker who will keep getting lots of projects.

007 06-28-2018 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13608881)
Objectively false.

Rotten tomatoes ratings of his films:

Brick - 79%
Brothers Bloom - 67%
Looper - 93%
Out of Print - 80%
The Last Jedi - 91%

Average: 82

He's not Steven Spielberg but his films have all been well reviewed consistently, which certainly doesn't point to "terrible writer and story teller."

TLJ wasn't everyone's cup of tea but Rian Johnson is an accomplished filmmaker who will keep getting lots of projects.

I've only see Looper and loved it but TLJ did not deserve that rating and I certainly feel it was skewed in his favor by the critics.

BigRichard 06-28-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13608887)
I've only see Looper and loved it but TLJ did not deserve that rating and I certainly feel it was skewed in his favor by the critics.

Clay is so disingenuous when it comes to the TLJ...

Lets look at audience scores, the ones that actually buy tickets, for his movies instead of the shitty critics that wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them on the ass...

Brick - 86%
Brothers Bloom - 64%
Looper - 82%
Out of Print - 62%
The Last Jedi - 46%

Average - 68%

He is the Applebee's of movie making